Rear view mirror question (also S. FL members look)

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 10:47 AM
*6MT*

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rear view mirror question (also S. FL members look)

Well, i got my '03 CL-s two days ago, and just realized that the rear view mirror as that look that something has spilled ON the mirror. I've been doing a bit of research on it, and it seems that if left for too long, the mirror can actually explode That would NOT be ideal for my "new" car.

Anyways, before I get flamed, i DID search, saw the "my mirror exploded" thread , but never found a straight answer.

Is the mirror under a recall? Or should I order one, and do it myself? Either way, its getting swapped out, but if it is under recall, it would save me the 75 bucks.

South Florida members:

Is there any good dealers in the west palm-delray-boca area that would do a "goodwill" on these mirrors?

Thanks guys, you're all very helpful on this site.
Old 09-07-2008, 11:03 AM
666 Speed

I'm not sure if they are still warrantying them or not but the manufacturer is Magna Donelly or something of that matter. Some time ago they would replace them for free but i'm not sure if they do so any more...

http://www.magna.com
Old 09-07-2008, 11:13 AM
01 Type-S, Sexy Silver

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I just went through this a couple weeks ago. There isn't a recall on the mirror. Magna Donnelly was replacing the mirrors free of charge up until January of this year but they aren't anymore citing that Honda/Acura told them to stop. I tried to get my local dealer to replace it goodwill and also fought with Acura's customer service but they simply said "Due to the age and mileage on the vehicle we won't replace it"... Your local dealer might do things differently, but thats what happened w/ me here. I just got my mirror I ordered off ebay a couple days ago. The new mirrors have a solid plate in them rather than a liquid.

Go to NHTSA.com and post a complaint about the mirror. If we can get enough people to do so, they'll eventually push a recall.
Old 09-07-2008, 11:17 AM
*6MT*

Originally Posted by disgruntlednut
I just went through this a couple weeks ago. There isn't a recall on the mirror. Magna Donnelly was replacing the mirrors free of charge up until January of this year but they aren't anymore citing that Honda/Acura told them to stop. I tried to get my local dealer to replace it goodwill and also fought with Acura's customer service but they simply said "Due to the age and mileage on the vehicle we won't replace it"... Your local dealer might do things differently, but thats what happened w/ me here. I just got my mirror I ordered off ebay a couple days ago. The new mirrors have a solid plate in them rather than a liquid.

Go to NHTSA.com and post a complaint about the mirror. If we can get enough people to do so, they'll eventually push a recall.
Which mirror did you order off ebay?

Are the AcuraOEMparts.com mirrors the new solid plate, or still liquid?

Thanks for your help.
Old 09-07-2008, 12:54 PM
01 Type-S, Sexy Silver

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
The old mirrors that are in our cars, part number for those is: 76400-S0K-A01ZA
The new replacement (using a plate instead of liquid) is 76400-SEP-A02ZA

You may have better luck searching for a mirror for a 2G TL or MDX (same part numbers but more search results)
Old 09-07-2008, 12:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
Your not getting anything good willed from a dealer on a used 03. Also I would avoid ALL the south FL Acura dealers. They ALL suck. Unless your car is new & bought from them they really could care less about it.
Find a good independent shop. Like cartek tuning(ft Lauderdale), or japtrix(riviera beach)
Or a good local mechanic.
You can also pickup a helms manual from www.helminc.com. Search this site & learn to to a lot of simple things yourself.

BTW it's cheaper for us to order from aucraautomotiveparts.org then the other site. The other one is Delray Acura & us FL people have to pay tax.