Is it really worth the $$$?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2003, 05:16 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it really worth the $$$?

Alright guys/gals, I need your honest opinion. I know its a four door, and I know its got a four banger, but it's not that bad of a deal when you thoroughly check the options that come standard with the "base" pricing. It's going to be for my sister, who I might add, is going through a "I don't know who the hell I really am" phase right now, which perfectly fits the cars image. However, I know how these topics usually get out of hand and I hate to start something that'll get closed after the first page. So, to prevent that from happening, could y'all just mention what you KNOW about the car -- preferrably from experience. For instance, its ride quality. Is it soft, bouncy, stiff? How about its handling; sharp and precise or loose and unresponsive? And to end each response, could you guys say whether you would purchase this vehicle, say over a WRX or an Accord considering the length and what the standard warranty covers.

List Price:
TSX w/ NAV -- 6 spd = $28,000 and $29,500(I'm guessing) with the factory kit.

TSX type S ??? I got screwed once by Acura, I hope they don't do it again -- in case you guys are wondering what I'm talking about, the salesman assured me that we would NEVER see a four-door type S. Low-and-behold, a TL type S -- the exact car that I was looking for.
Old 05-07-2003, 07:45 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
Most dealers don't know anythng. I'd never take their word for anything. For that money, I'd just get a TLS. Or something else. The interior might be nice, but this car has no power. And it's so expensive. Not a very good buy IMO.
Old 05-07-2003, 08:41 AM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
I agree with Fuzzy. In this price range I want a 6 cylinder (at least). I'd feel stupid driving it knowing it's just a fancier 4 cylinder Accord, when Accords come with a 6 cylinder for the same price or cheaper.
I'd buy an 03 TL instead, esp since the prices will be great before the new TL comes out.
Old 05-07-2003, 08:45 AM
Full-Time IDIoT---DoH!!!

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
well its a great car

but u can prob get a tl and tl-s very very close 2 invoice by now, or pretty soon. My money, i'd get the TL right now. last year of design, so alot of issues have been resolved, and i've noticed the tl w/the oem kit turns heads on the street
Old 05-07-2003, 09:02 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Test drive it and a TL and TL-S and see how they compare.
Old 05-07-2003, 09:30 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
In a word: WHOAHHHHHHHH

Long Review:
TSX 6 Speed
TSX Auto

Engine / Tranny
I just want to make one thing clear off the bat: IF YOU HAVE NOT DRIVEN A TSX, DO NOT KNOCK THE ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN YOU HAVE NO FUCKING CLUE. With that being said, this engine does NOT feel like a 4 cylinder engine. I spent approximately almost 45 minutes in the TSX alone driving it on everything from the Garden State Parkway to backroads and twisties. The TSX engine has more than enough get up and go. You will find that the torque curve of the TSX works in favor of the engine's smaller size. When you pop it down a gear there is always some 'oooomph' there to pull you along. I noticed in the auto they had it sticked in 1st it did not auto shift to 2nd. If I was buying this car I would only get the 6 speed to have complete control over the engine and MPG.

Interior
Hands down one of the best most inviting interiors in any car I have test driven lately (minus the E-500 let's not go nuts here lol). The leather is soooo nice and kushy identical to a BMW's. The navigation screen centrally mounted takes the cake w/ 7" viewable / voice recognition / AC / Radio / Calculator / Planner it's simply amazing. The fit and finish is 1st class. The backlit guages are soo damn sharp and at night they look sooo crisp.

Steering Wheel
More controls and the buttons don't look like an afterthought like they do on my CLS. The silver highlights and the integrated look including navi 'speak' buttons on the steering wheel are great. The wheel also telescopes which is new to me and it's smaller and you feel very close to the car's dynamics. It's more like an RSX-S feeling steering wheel, I prefer it.

Seats
Very nice, comfortable, supportive, high quality leather. Thigh room is definitely a touch shorter but since im 5' 7" and fat it was fine for me. After 45 mins of fun and playing with the heated seat button I thought I was in my CLS (good thing).

Road Test
I have absolutely no problem testing a car a little aggresively. I also have no problem treating it the way I will to see what it's made of. With that in mind:

Highway
Car felt great on the highway, as I merged onto the Garden State Parkway and dumped down to 2nd the car came alive and pulled fairly hard (not CLS OMFG POWER HARD) but confidently and w/ more than enough vibe. At 120 the car felt extremely solid and harsh lane changes (Jersey Style) the car felt stiff and very very controlled. The CLS does not give me the confidence this car does at this speed. I was doing 60mph or so southbound for 10 exits (traffic) and 90 or so northbound back up the Parkway (no traffic) with pops up to 100, 110, 120. Passing power is present but once again not like the CLS.

Around Town
Stops, Turns, Casual driving the car does very well. Low end torque makes you forget your in a 4 cylinder car. Even braking, not spongy.

Twisties
FUN FUN FUN. I had goosebumps from pulling the TSX around some sharp turns and keeping in the gas in 3rd gear. The suspension on this car is perfectly tuned. It absorbs most bumps but also is very responsive. YOU KNOW WHERE THIS CAR IS AT ALL TIMES. Felt very BMWish when you pushed it but it's FWD that's for sure.

Roid Noise / Engine
Not a problem. No louder than a stock CLS at WOT when your at WOT in the TSX. When not pushing it, the engine noise is barely noticable.

Overall
I like it alot. Another 20 or 30 horsies would not hurt it but it does not need it per say, if I had to I'd take it as is. For 28K it's a steal.
Old 05-07-2003, 10:26 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
IF YOU HAVE NOT DRIVEN A TSX, DO NOT KNOCK THE ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN YOU HAVE NO FUCKING CLUE.
Isn't it the same as a RSX-S?
Old 05-07-2003, 11:03 AM
Suzuka Master

TLS with the kit is a headturner...
Old 05-07-2003, 11:37 AM
Safety Car

well i think you'll have to make up your own mind on this one- we all like different things in a car, some people think the tsx is the greatest thing since sliced bread and others think it isn't due to its power to weight. test drive all the cars your sister is considering back to back and after that she should have a good idea of what she prefers. if you only test drive the tsx-almost sounds like your trying to buy the car sight unseen, you wont have anything to gauge your buying decision against. good luck and go to carsdirect if you think the dealer is trying to take you for a ride.
Old 05-07-2003, 12:54 PM
The Third Ball

Received 5,091 Likes on 2,702 Posts
Originally posted by fuzzy02CLS
Isn't it the same as a RSX-S?
No, its based on the k24 (well it is the K24 but tuned differenty) its soooo smooth and refined and quiet. If no one told you it was a 4 banger youd swear it was a small 6.

As for buying for your sister, cant tell you. You mentioned a WRX and they are cheaper and faster, depeneds on what she wants i guess.
Old 05-07-2003, 03:15 PM
It's not over yet

I was watching Espn inside the chicago autoshow and they said a high performance v6 model would be introuced late this year early next year. Take that info with a grain of salt, but if it's true a 260-280hp tsx would be killer due to the new chasis and suspension (maybe even AWD?)
Old 05-07-2003, 03:25 PM
Instructor

wait 6 months and buy the new tl.
Old 05-08-2003, 06:29 AM
Instructor

I really appreciate all the replies... I suppose you're right, four-banger or not, it's got enough oomph to skirt her ass around town without a problem. I mean, sheesh, Audi customers are paying over $30k for the 1.8T and that same engine is found in the Jetta and GTI, am I right? And to explain why I'm comparing the TSX to the WRX, well, its cause they both fall in the same price category and seem to be the top two 'best value' cars available as of now; aside from the TL type S which I know (for sure) she would NEVER get cause of all the transmissions I've had to go through in my CL. Unless of course, Acura plans to bring out a 6-speed TL type S within the near future, then OUR eyes would definitely be glued on the first gun metal TL to hit the showroom. Other than that, the TSX has tons of features that come standard for under $30k OTD... hmm...Is there anything better?