Really Cold Seat Doesn't Work Right

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2001, 04:13 PM
Adult Supervision

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Really Cold Seat Doesn't Work Right

Anybody seen this problem:

In the morning when it is really cold (10-15 F) the driver seat will not 1) automatically slide completely forward 2) automatically slide completely back to memorized position and 3) sometimes both 1 and 2.

This has only happened twice and once the car is warm it is not reproducible.

Sound familiar to anyone? I know it's probably broke but don't feel like leaving it overnight at the dealer for them to see the problem.

------------------
MikeS 18
'01 CL-S #22,299 Black/Parchment with Nav, Spoiler, door guards, wood trim kit, fender guards, PIAA 19169 & Platinum 9005, V1, trunk tray, winter mats, Salt Coat Finish by Mass DOT
Old 01-10-2001, 08:18 PM
Intermediate

A couple months ago, my driver's seat decided to not move back unless I pushed the memory button on the door. Then it went back where it was supposed to go.

It has always moved forward when the seatback is released. This 'failure to return' started occurring when the temps dropped to the low double digits (F). Apparently a coincidence, since even after the car and interior had warmed up a good deal (after an hour's drive to work) it still wouldn't go back 'automatically' after retrieving stuff from the rear seat and pushing the seatback into the upright position.

I assumed it was something 'blocking' the sensor when it was trying to go rearward after putting the seatback in the upright position. Presumably, it 'thought' something was 'blocking' the seat's path (as the manual mentions).

A couple days ago it started behaving correctly. I've not bothered to look at the Svc manual as to how this works (I've got bigger gators at the door).

What worries me a bit (besides the seat-moving motor sounding like its laboring a bit when its real cold) is what does one do if the mechanism that moves the seat (automatically or with a 'manual' push of the switch) happens to die with the seat in the forward position? Find a midget to drive it to the dealer ? Its tow-it time.

------------------
'01 Acura CL-S Black/Ebony, Nav-free

[This message has been edited by DHB (edited 01-10-2001).]
Old 01-10-2001, 08:24 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
Well my drivers window feature, that when you click the button all the way down the window goes all the way down. Well, during the HOT summer days, it stoped working. Several other owners had the same problem. I called my shop and they said the heat makes the chips in the door stop working when too hot, I wonder about the extreme cold. Do my heated seats work CONSISTANTLY ?????? NO, and I live in California, where the coldest may get 38 degrees ? What's up with these heated seats ?

------------------
2001 CL Type S Black/Ebony w/NAVI
1998 Accord Coupe EX-V6
Black Currant Pearl
Old 01-11-2001, 01:18 AM
Someday pigs WILL fly!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Fabvsix:
Well my drivers window feature, that when you click the button all the way down the window goes all the way down. Well, during the HOT summer days, it stoped working. Several other owners had the same problem. I called my shop and they said the heat makes the chips in the door stop working when too hot, I wonder about the extreme cold. Do my heated seats work CONSISTANTLY ?????? NO, and I live in California, where the coldest may get 38 degrees ? What's up with these heated seats ?

</font>
So far, (13,500 miles since April) no problem. It has been colder than..... well, you know... freakin' cold! and they work fine. High after 15 minutes is too high. Hafta cut it back.

------------------
01 CL-S NightHawk Black/Ebony Bowling Ball Interior
Old 01-11-2001, 01:31 AM
Team Owner

I have had no problems with the seat heaters, windows or seat sliders.

I use the seat slider every day because I put my briefcase behind the seat when driving to and from work.
The ASS heaters have been getting a workout since the middle of November.
This past Saturday was the first time the temperature went above freezing since December 16th!!!!!!

I basically get in the car and put the seat heater switch from LOW to HIGH.
When the seat gets warmed up, I flip it over to LOW for the rest of the drive.
The next drive I start the cycle over again.

I have a garage; I really pity all your poor East Coast people who get into a cold car every morning.

Shawn S

------------------
>>> 400+ posts on h/a.net <<< >>> 550+ posts “freak” on the “old” acura-cl.com <<<

2001 CL Type S - NAV - San Marino RED / Parchment - Spoiler - 35% Tint - Roof Visor - PIAA Lamps
GOLD Emblems & Grill - V1 w/remote - KICKER ZR-360 w/(2) 10" Alumapro Subs - Shine by ZAINO
For Pictures see: PAGE 1 PAGE 2 PAGE 3 PAGE 4 V1 & SUBS

[This message has been edited by Shawn S (edited 01-10-2001).]