Rattle in sunroof . . .

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2004, 05:52 PM
LA CL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rattle in sunroof . . .

There are a couple of posting regarding the rattle or sound that occurs in the sunroof/moonroof.

Pasadena Acura has told me that CLs routinely have this problem. I was told that they tape the sliding sunroof cover and lube the rails and the problem is fixed. Well, my problem is that they have "fixed" my rattle 4 times already!!!! The problem has not gone away and is still bugging the hell out of me.

Am I the only one that has this problem that recurs or are there others? Also, has anyone solved this problem once and for all? My attorney friend says that under California's Lemon Law, something as simple as this is enough to make Acura fix/replace the problem. I think it will be silly to sue for Lemon Law reasons, but I need to get their attention. Thanks for any help.
Old 03-28-2004, 05:57 PM
Intermediate

I have the same problem on my cls but I only hear it when the sunroof cover is slid back not blocking the sun from comming in. That is the only time that I usaually hear it.
Old 03-28-2004, 06:42 PM
Advanced

I've noticed a similar rattle from my sunroof when the sunroof is closed and the interior sunshade is in the open position as well. Your post reminded me to try an idea I had thought might be causing the problem.
I suspect the rubber around the glass sunroof is becoming slightly brittle with age and is making noise as it makes contact with the metal of the roof. The proper fix is to apply silicon emulsion to the rubber and it regains its former suppleness and flexibility. I didn't have any around the house and used some vaseline petrolem jelly instead and then drove the car to see if it made a difference. To my ears, it noticeably quieted down the "rattle" and I suspect using the proper product and working it into the forward leading edge rubber area will be a more permanent fix.
I don't know if Acura dealers stock it. I bought a small bottle of silicon emulsion from a GM dealer years ago to solve a similar brittle rubber noise problem and it was very cheap to purchase, so it's a very minor investment to see if it fixes your problem.
Old 03-28-2004, 06:48 PM
Spectacular Aroma About

Originally posted by 749009

I suspect the rubber around the glass sunroof is becoming slightly brittle with age and is making noise as it makes contact with the metal of the roof. The proper fix is to apply silicon emulsion to the rubber
Yep. I've always put regular silicone spray on the sunroof seals (I put it on all the rubber seals on the car). I've never had a rattle. Well I did have it one time when I washed the car when it was only 20 degreees out. The seal froze to the roof and it rattled like crazy.
Old 03-29-2004, 09:19 AM
Burning Brakes

I had this same problem for YEARS.

Had it 'fixed' at the dealer multiple times. They were never able to make it go away. They even disassembled the thing once.

I tried all kinds of things myself, from removing the dealer installed teflon tape and installing new tape myself and applying grease all around the seal. Nothing helped. IT WAS NOT THE SEAL!

THEN... I took WD-40 and sprayed the mechanism HEAVILY. I mainly sprayed the front part of the roof.... the side that is above the rear view mirror, where the wind deflector mechanism is.

And now, for 5 months... not a single damn creak or rattle!

GIVE IT A SHOT.
Old 03-29-2004, 11:03 AM
Audi S4 driver

I had mine fixed by Park Ave acura but its back again a few months later. it used to be a rubbing noise and a rattling. the rubbing noise is gone now but there is still a clicking rattle. It used to go away when I closed the sunshade but not its still there when I close the sunshade. Will try to take it back again to be looked at.
Old 03-29-2004, 01:22 PM
LA CL

Thanks gang, this was great advice. I will give it a go with the silicon and see what happens.
Old 03-29-2004, 08:37 PM
Instructor

AOAO... they fixed my roof rattle, but 4 times already I am trying to fix the 3rd brake light fixture, which rubs against the back windshield... I am doing it 7 times, or whichever the lemon law states... and challenging these guys...
The amount of frustration we all go through, just for them to use mediocre parts or designs... obviously these are examples of the cost-cutting going way too far....

Let's not forget the ever famous Chrysler trip giveaway a few years ago, for buying Chrysler products... one gent buys a CHrysler made screw & wins the trip... [in court].

It is ludicrous in our case... but the law is the law... They do NOT care to fix it RIGHT the first 5+ times... let's share some of our frustration back.... shall we ???
Old 03-30-2004, 09:16 AM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
I wonder if on the 03 they modified the sunroof. I never have had a squeak from mine, that I can tell. Is it when it is closed or open or both??
Old 03-30-2004, 09:17 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by patek007
AOAO... they fixed my roof rattle, but 4 times already I am trying to fix the 3rd brake light fixture, which rubs against the back windshield... I am doing it 7 times, or whichever the lemon law states... and challenging these guys...
The amount of frustration we all go through, just for them to use mediocre parts or designs... obviously these are examples of the cost-cutting going way too far....

Let's not forget the ever famous Chrysler trip giveaway a few years ago, for buying Chrysler products... one gent buys a CHrysler made screw & wins the trip... [in court].

It is ludicrous in our case... but the law is the law... They do NOT care to fix it RIGHT the first 5+ times... let's share some of our frustration back.... shall we ???
That's funny.

Trying to get a car lemon-lawed for a rattle.

Sh*t. What has this world come to?
Old 03-30-2004, 11:09 AM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by 123456SPEED
I wonder if on the 03 they modified the sunroof. I never have had a squeak from mine, that I can tell. Is it when it is closed or open or both??

No problems on my 03 as well. For those that have/had the problem it was when the sunroof was closed by the visor was pulled back.
Old 03-30-2004, 12:07 PM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Oh, luckily I was spared on this noise issue. I do notice at high speed and open the sunroof popup little visor vibrates and makes noise. My other cars, Legends, Preludes, never did this when opened on the highway.
Old 03-30-2004, 05:43 PM
LA CL

patek007 . . . you are right, sometimes, but for using the law as a weapon, a consumer can't get corporations to do the right thing. Admittedly, I have only owned Acuras my entire life and believe they make the best products, but maybe a threat will be all that it will take this time around. . . .
Old 03-30-2004, 06:18 PM
You underdig?

I also have this bitch of a problem. I get rattles when the moonroof is closed (with the shade open) and when fully open. I have yet to find a fix for when its closed, besides the volume up button on the steering wheel , but, when fully open, I simply tap the close button lightly so its ever soo slightly closed from fully open and the sound goes away. This makes me think its something in the back of the roof compartment. Who knows but, damn someone needs to get a fix to this GRRR cause it bugs the shit out of me (at least until I find the volume up button)
Old 03-30-2004, 07:12 PM
Advanced

I'll add this comment as there is a slight chance this could add to the problem. I was cleaning the surround area with the sunroof open and noticed a little rubber stopper sitting loosely in the surround "tray" area. It had come off the top of the little pop up wind deflector, but, without it in place, the wind deflector could potentially rattle against the inside front edge of the sunroof. There are 2 little rubber stoppers, one for each side, on the front edges of the wind deflector.
And, as I noted earlier in this thread, I've found that lubricating the rubber sunroof surround, does make a noticeable difference on my car from before lubricating it.
Old 03-30-2004, 07:21 PM
Racer

I too find that this noice comes back when the car gets dirty or when I wash it and forget to clean around the sunroof seal. I always clean the rubber then armorall it. Works every time.
Old 04-01-2004, 07:18 PM
Instructor

mcdanjw, it truly does feel 'insane' to apply lemon laws to a rattle, I agree, but then... it's their rattles that are making us INSANE ... I can vouch that an 'unresolvable' rattle is much WORSE issue then a bad tranny, since none of the manufacturers truly care to invest in needed tools to isolate & fix them.

I wonder if Acura service advisers are thinking they are doing us a favor every time they do a 'temporary' fix... hoping we get 'used' to the problem and go away. All I am doing is 'acting' like their 'rattle' and keep coming back .... I just need to ensure to come back 3 more times in about a year... for things to get a bit more interesting ....
Old 04-01-2004, 07:51 PM
Audi S4 driver

Originally posted by 123456SPEED
I have a late 03, and have the problem. Park Ave fixed it and it was fine for a few months, but its back.

Like you said Chap, the first time I had it, it would go away when I shut the sunshade. Now its there whether its shut or not
Old 04-01-2004, 10:56 PM
You underdig?

phreakin acura needs a tech support 800 number for shit like this or at least an email address. *gives me an idea*
Anyone tried calling or mailing them?- http://www.acura.com/about/abo_cust_index.asp
Old 04-02-2004, 07:11 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
I had mine "fixed" yesterday. I only heard it when the shade was open. I never drive with the shade open anyway so if it comes back I really don't care. I only open the roof a few times a year because it's too hot & humid in south FL.
Old 04-02-2004, 12:10 PM
You underdig?

Originally posted by fuzzy02CLS
I never drive with the shade open anyway so if it comes back I really don't care. I only open the roof a few times a year because it's too hot & humid in south FL.
Never?? Thats the greatest feature of a moonroof... you get the cool lighting effect of when the window itself is open but, none of the noise or wind. T-R-I-P'n