R.A.S.R. -- Racers Against Street Racing

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2001, 03:53 PM
retired

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
R.A.S.R. -- Racers Against Street Racing

It seems all of these forums seem to contain an area where owners can share their latest victories and defeats.Honda of North America announced that it will participate in a new program that will be known as R.A.S.R. Racers Against Street Racing ,the objective will be to try to point out the good side of customizing imports such as the Civic Prelude Accord and ofcourse as well our CL and CL/S. I know it is tempting to go and race but let's keep it on the track .I know I sound like a goody two shoes but Honda has recognized that it's products have in some sense become the '55 chevy of the new millenium and want to promote the sport but also would like to keep it legal and a positive force on young and old alike.I'd like to think that you guys in the premium end of the Sport Import hobby might like to set the example by not racing on the street.Honda plans on a campaign combining it's own efforts with support from people well known in the racing community to promote our hobby and to promote legal sanctioned racing on race tracks not public streets.You can all help as well, don't race on the street however tempting it may be.Perhaps this forum could in the future help with this by spreading the word that street racing is not just putting kids in hopped up Civics in a bad light but it is doing the same for people rolling around in hopped CL's as well.Jens

------------------
1992 mazda Miata lowered with Eibach springs KYB AGX adjustable struts Sparco racing buckets 4 point safety harnesses Momo steering wheel lo profile headlite system with PIAA superwhite bulbs Custom audio system Custom gauges Jackson racing supercharger with header and Greddy cat back exhaust and a ton of other stuff 2000 Honda Civic on APEX coilovers Full Alpine Audio system factory fogs with Piaa bulbs Catz ZETA headlamp system tinted custom taillites and on and on
Old 01-06-2001, 04:13 PM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, I read about this too. I honestly agree with them, but then again...I think I would agree a whole lot more when they actually start making something for the CL's! Mugen makes things for almost everything except for our CL's, although are cars are supposed to be more sporty, they make parts for TL's instead?? Anyways, I guess im just blowing some steam...I don't think that they were really concentrating their efforts on the CL and TL's. More like the accords, preludes, civics, and integras and etc etc.
Just my 2 cents.

Tw1112

------------------
My CL
Old 01-06-2001, 04:17 PM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by tw1112:
Well, I read about this too. I honestly agree with them, but then again...I think I would agree a whole lot more when they actually start making something for the CL's! Mugen makes things for almost everything except for our CL's, although are cars are supposed to be more sporty, they make parts for TL's instead?? Anyways, I guess im just blowing some steam...I don't think that they were really concentrating their efforts on the CL and TL's. More like the accords, preludes, civics, and integras and etc etc.
Just my 2 cents.

Tw1112

</font>
Although now that they are gonna have a TL type s there should be more after market parts we can get for the engine sense they are both the same.

------------------

2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
San Marino Red/Ebony/Navi/Spoiler/Nose Mask/Mud Guards/Wheel locks/
Comptech Springs & Filter/PIAA 1969/20% Tint/Acura lettering removed/
12in Sub with AMP/Dynomated Trunk/Sub control under dash/
Clifford G4 Solaris Alarm
Old 01-06-2001, 04:22 PM
Moderator Alumnus

hey... who's down to go to the underground races in Newark tonight?
sorry, just had to say it!

------------------
YuppieCL
'01 3.2CL Type S
#6487, Satin Silver, Navi, Spoiler, Comptech springs, 35% Llumar window tint, Full nose mask
Old 01-06-2001, 04:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Were can we get some more info? When will Honda be launching this program?

------------------
2001 Satin Silver Cl Type S.
Comptech Headers
Comptech Springs
Muds
Wheel locks
35% Llumar metallic tint
Best 0-60. 6.08 Gtech Pro (Preheaders)

My Car
Old 01-06-2001, 06:10 PM
Safety Car

I think they already launched the program. Im not sure...I read about it in Super Sport Compact? magazine..sorry if the name is wrong, its still too early to think..

Webtoker: Hehe..for you it is the same engine, for me its still not. I need to go get a CL-S damnit!

Tw1112

------------------
My CL
Old 01-06-2001, 11:33 PM
Racer

I am VERY intrested in finding out more. Could you post any additional info you might have about this?
Thanks

------------------
Old 01-07-2001, 12:13 AM
Safety Car

Here you guys go......tell me if this link doesn't work. If it doesn't, I will just scan the article for you.

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/shifting2.shtml

Tw1112

------------------
My CL
Old 01-07-2001, 05:28 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would love to see more areas open for off-street racing.

Too bad they (government) couldn't also support driving classes (with subsidies) for drivers(young and old) who want to improve their skills.

In Germany, they really want people to know how and what to do in dangerous situations. Don't know about getting that strict, but it would be nice if the insurance and other companies would throw out a bone for people who took special driver classes (defensive, evasive, skid-control, courtesy, etc).

[This message has been edited by EricL (edited 01-07-2001).]
Old 01-07-2001, 02:09 PM
retired

I agree on the idea that insurance companies should at least try to offer an incentive based on education.However license requirements in Germany are not as draconian as you might suspect.I was born in the former West Germany and have driven there on the unrestricted autobahn.Although it sounds like fun it is an experience that I can do without.Although I consider my self a reasonable driver ,going at near race speeds for 4 to 5 hours at a clip is exhausting and damn dangerous when you add the "thrill" of slower traffic, trucks etc.The driving exam in Germany nowadays is still very tough and rightfully so considering that unrestricted autobahn driving is still possible.If at the very least in the U.S.efforts were made to actually require driver's to learn more than paralell parking technique and three point turns our roads would be a better place,however as it stands now a driver's license in the U.S. generally means you got 15 out 20 questions correct and did not crash the car into anything on a 5 minute roadtest.As far as speed parts go for the CL/S ,give the aftermarket time.It is not an overnite process to develop parts ,first off they need to identify what kind of parts are needed.You CL CL/S owners can help here by e-mailing companies that provide such parts with you ideas.Show them pictures of your cars with what you have done.This sort of thing is a big help.Honda will be beginning it's campaign R.A.S.R. this year exact details remain to be seen.And yes it is geared towards the youth market,but remember those kids read this web site and others like it and see what the "old" people are doing.Having a forum dedicated to telling about how you beat the guy in the Lexus is fun but you can see where some of these kids get their ideas from.Jens

------------------
1992 mazda Miata lowered with Eibach springs KYB AGX adjustable struts Sparco racing buckets 4 point safety harnesses Momo steering wheel lo profile headlite system with PIAA superwhite bulbs Custom audio system Custom gauges Jackson racing supercharger with header and Greddy cat back exhaust and a ton of other stuff 2000 Honda Civic on APEX coilovers Full Alpine Audio system factory fogs with Piaa bulbs Catz ZETA headlamp system tinted custom taillites and on and on
Old 01-07-2001, 08:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You have good points.

1. Sure the Germans are tough, but so are other European counties. As you said, there is more to driving than 20 questions and a parallel park. I just like the idea of incentives rather than censorship, etc for the kids (hence, my thoughts about offering plenty of alternatives to the street).

Example: current drug war -- stupid failure, punish, punish, punish, instead of helping, helping, helping. So, how about a campaign to save kids by ALSO offering alternatives (and plenty of them)! Shopping center slaloms, with pros there.

2. I DO get the bad influence on kids thing. I do hope we can have fun without setting too bad of an example.

3. Always thought kids followed what we do, not what we say *and* that incentives are better than restrictions (well, most of the time...).

4. Yep, I know Honda and other don't have a "magic" brain wave machine to produce parts from phone calls and suggestions. But I thought the idea of the forum was to exchange info about stuff we like, don't like, might want, can invent (Some of us might even want to build some stuff.). And, yea your right about calling the aftermarket companies to inquire about parts for our cars (good point).

Off soap box, only my opinion...

[This message has been edited by EricL (edited 01-08-2001).]
Old 01-08-2001, 11:39 PM
retired

I agree on the incentive idea I also like the parking lot races with the pros present to show how it is done the right way.

------------------