Question for those with hardwired V1

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2001, 06:31 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question for those with hardwired V1

I'm going to do my wife's TL using Shawn's great instructions.

When you park your car do you remove the V1 unit from visor and hide it or just leave it there?

Do you remove the remote display also from the steering column and hide?

Are they easy to remove if hardwired?

Thanks.
Old 12-19-2001, 06:48 AM
Find beauty in dissonance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Depending on my location, I usually remove the V1. No alarm will stop a smash and grab.

I leave my remote display up. It is installed on the A-pillar. I put my sun shades up to hide it. If you want to remove it use double-sided Velcro to install it.

Because I always remove my V1, I've found the tab-lock on my power cable is coming loose. Will eventually have to replace, but it's just a phone cord.
Old 12-19-2001, 08:19 AM
Pro

I leave mine up. Radar detector theft seems to be not a problem down here. I know growing up, detectors were a big deal and every kid wanted one. Now u can go to walmart and get one cheap.

But when I leave my car to get service (like tire rotation), V1 leaves with me.
Old 12-19-2001, 08:47 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
I haven't had a problem with it thus far. I leave it up when I'm at work (which is where I am 80% of the time when I'm not home). If I go out, I usually leave it in too.... so far anyway. If I'm going somewhere where I'm uncomfortable, I'll lock it in the glove box. It's easy to remove it when it's hardwired. The only part that's hardwired is the power, so you just have to unplug the unit and the remote display and remove them. My remote is on the steering column, so it kind of blends with the dark dash anyway.....
Old 12-19-2001, 09:03 AM
Racer

I always take down my V1. Like Bluto said, nothing will stop a smash and grab. Just be careful when you put it up again. Don't slide it into the windshield mount without pressing the tab down. You'll here the clicks as it slides in. If you do that too often, it will wear down the position holders?, and your V1 won't stay in place anymore. Happened to my friend, and he had to order another mount. The only other thing was also mentioned by Bluto. The tab-lock will eventually break off, but that's easily replaced. You don't have to buy a new phone cord. Just replace the jack. Hope this helps.
Old 12-19-2001, 09:18 AM
Banned

I leave my V1 out 95% of the time - based on the neighborhood. I've got mine mounted so high though, you would either have to have been in my car or be kneeling, looking up through the side windows to see it. I hope my luck stays true... :-/
Old 12-19-2001, 10:23 AM
At least it's not Jersey

Bluto

Where abouts do you have it on the A pillar? Can it be seen outside the car?
Old 12-19-2001, 11:09 AM
Find beauty in dissonance

A-pillar

The display is on the middle of the pillar (like an aftermarket boost or temp gauge). It can be easily seen from the passenger side. I wanted the remote display located where I could see it and not have to take my eyes off the road. When it lights up, it will get your attention. No need to 'listen' to the V1 or keep an eye on the steering column.

I hammered, cut, and filed a metal bracket. I covered what little was visible with black electrical tape. From the drivers perspective, it is shaped something like this:

____
\ |||||

Held on the backside of A-pillar cover with double-sided tape.

The \ part is taped inside the A-pillar cover. The angle is need because of the A-pillar cover's shape.

The |||| is where the remote displayed is screwed on.

I know I need to get some pictures posted. If the fat guy does not bring me a digital camera on the 25th I will go out and buy one. So, I will have some pics up soon.
Old 12-19-2001, 11:14 AM
Team Owner

Mine stays right where it’s mounted all the time.
With the tinted side windows and high mounting position you can’t really see it unless you know its there.

I have a garage at home and when I park at a mall or something, I usually try to find a spot out in the no-ding zone under a light.

Shawn S
Old 12-19-2001, 11:55 AM
Instructor

I never take my V1 out of my car except when the window is being cleaned. I have my V1 located at the very top of the window where it is tinted and hard to see from the outside.

BLOWN 331
Old 12-19-2001, 12:01 PM
Team Owner

Originally posted by BLOWN 331
I have my V1 located at the very top of the window where it is tinted and hard to see from the outside.
Don’t mount it TOO high into the “tint-zone”.
It will reduce the range of ANY detector, even the mighty V1.

Mine is just where the tint blend line is.

Shawn S
Old 12-19-2001, 12:19 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Originally posted by Shawn S

Don’t mount it TOO high into the “tint-zone”.
It will reduce the range of ANY detector, even the mighty V1.

Mine is just where the tint blend line is.

Shawn S

Yup, this is where mine is too. I guess the fact that it's mounted so high makes it difficult to see it at some angles.....
Old 12-20-2001, 03:11 PM
Subie Dubie

My V1 is mounted on the visor and is hard to see, but i usually take it out and put it in the center console when i park the car anywhere but the garage. I figure why give anyone a reason to bust a window.
Old 12-20-2001, 06:06 PM
Race Director

So far so good my V1 stays mounted 100% of the time. I think it depends on conditions where you live. Radar detectors are pretty cheap these days and the cheapo ones work well enough for the black market, so they are not exactly targeting the top of the lines. I've had three stolen from me in my life, all by smash and grab. And the fourth broken window, they didn't get anything, we suppose they broke in because they saw the detached power cord or the sucket cup bracket and/or marks on the windshield, I don't know I forget. A stolen radar detector does not a lot of good in Kansas/Missouri since these are not police states, so demand is low.