Question about the way the CL-S shifts when left to it's own.

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2001, 10:22 PM
Old timer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question about the way the CL-S shifts when left to it's own.

Okay so I've got a whopping 170miles on my Aegean baby so far but I've got a question.

It seems like either the CL-S shifts differently than any other car I've owned (quite possible) or mine's got a faulty transmission. (Or it could just be because I'm babying it until I hit 600miles on the odometer so it's my driving style that's making this happen.)

It seems that when applying a constant but low pressure on the gas pedal, like just enough to accelerate at a modest rate, hitting maybe 2500-3000rpm before it auto-shifts, the transmission shifts awkwardly when it does shift. Maybe it's just the way it is. I wouldn't call it crisp. More like "uncertain of itself" or something. It could just be unique compared to all the other vehicles I've driven and maybe that's all it is.

But I also notice if I let off the gas, this car uses downshifting (or even just seems to be in a lower gear) to stop the car more than any other car I've owned. (Or is it just my car and it has a problem?)

Like if I let off the gas going 50ish in D5 (ie, full automatic), the car slows noticably and downshifts sooner than any other car I've owned (and sooner than I think it should) causing almost a bit of negative Gs on my person (which is an uncomfortable feeling) instead of a smooth coast to a stop.Now maybe it's just the way the gear ratios are that they noticeably slow the car. (I think the proper term is "high ratio"?)

Or maybe it's just that every other car I've driven happens to be a GM product and they for some reason let their cars coast more freely or something. (Yet, even the Z28 with a 3.23 rear when left in 4th gear (top gear, it's automatic) doesn't experience the same feeling of deceleration that is felt in the CL-S when I let off the gas. It's like the CL-S downshifts sooner when coasting.)

I'm having a hard time explaining the feeling, but maybe someone understands what I'm talking about.

Please tell me it's normal and I'm just not used to it because I have always driven GM products so I don't get worried that there's a tranny problem or anything.

It doesn't feel like there's anything WRONG with it, so much as it makes me feel like the car hasn't learned the proper gear to go into or the proper time to be in it for the given speed and is always a gear too low or something. It's like it downshifts too soon or something.

Or maybe I'm just smoking crack. Help me out here. :-\

Thanks.

-J

edit - to add to the description of my question: I feel as though I'm a passenger in a car where the driver doesn't know how to drive or isn't applying a steady pressure to the gas pedal: That's the feeling I'm getting because it's the tranny making driving feel weird like that.

------------------
2001 CL-S Aegean Blue/black interior spoiler, wheel locks, no-navi
Stock for now.

[This message has been edited by JRock (edited 05-03-2001).]

Old 05-03-2001, 10:28 PM
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by JRock:
I feel as though I'm a passenger in a car where the driver doesn't know how to drive </font>
Funny, that's the VERY reason I wish I could get a manual tranny.

Shawn S

------------------
Speed limits are for CARS and DRIVERS whose limits are easily exceeded !!!!!

2001 CL Type S - NAV - San Marino RED / Parchment - Spoiler - 35% Tint - Roof Visor - PIAA Lamps
GOLD Emblems & Grill - V1 w/remote - KICKER AMP w/(2) 10" Alumapro Subs - Xephyr CAI - Shine by ZAINO
For Photos see: PAGE 1 PAGE 2 PAGE 3 PAGE 4 V1 & SUBS
Old 05-03-2001, 10:31 PM
Old timer

So you get the feeling the car is downshifting too soon also?

As if the car is using the gears to slow down more than it should?

I think that's the best way to describe what I'm feeling.

-J

------------------
Stock for now.
Old 05-03-2001, 10:31 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

I am noticing vibration hesitation when shifting from 1-2 in D5 at low rpms 2-3krpm.

Something I do not like, too. I am sure when I will drain and replace the ATF (oil), it would be smoother.

As for the slowing down when coasting, I noticed that is worse with wide tires (235/40/18) you feel as if is breaking by itself. However the stock tires are not that bad in this issue.

If you have a doubt take it back to the dealer for an inspection ...

------------------
Black, Ebony, 3.2 CL Type-S, NAV.
- 3M clear bra, by Stonguard (full front bumper, and side mirrors, and partial hood)
- Acura Spoiler, Moonroof visor
- Splash guards, Winter mats, Trunk liner
- Valentine V1 Radar Locator
- HELMS Service Manual
- PIAA 19169 road lamps
- 03/19/01: Injen Polished CAI
- 04/13/01: 235/40/18 NITTO 555 on 18x7.5, +45 offset, Koing Imagine in Silver with wheels locks
Old 05-03-2001, 10:44 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Put it in SS and see, mine does not downshift at all until I come to full stop. Also, I notced that I can upshift to 5 in SS while the in D5 it would be 4th. However, sooner or later it will kick itself back to 4th.

Maybe the D5 is different as we have "grade-logic" system that is so complicate to describe. Ask Shawn to acan and post pages 14-34 and 14-35 from HELMS service manual.

------------------
- 3M clear bra, by Stonguard (full front bumper, and side mirrors, and partial hood)
- HELMS Service Manual
- PIAA 19169 road lamps
- 04/13/01: 235/40/18 NITTO 555 on 18x7.5, +45 offset, Koing Imagine in Silver with wheels locks
Old 05-03-2001, 10:49 PM
Old timer

Oh I think I read a snippit about that in the Owner's Manual that comes with the car. Man screw grade-logic... it will just make me look like I can't drive if I have a girl in the car. That's not cool.

I guess I'll be using SS exclusively.

-J

------------------
Stock for now.
Old 05-03-2001, 10:53 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

let get it right, now if you are saying that the car will not cruise right, as if it's doing hich ups or slow down than accelarate by itself. You got problem.

On the HW it should be a silky drive at anyspeed up to 100 MPH.

I am

------------------
- HELMS Service Manual
- PIAA 19169 road lamps
Old 05-03-2001, 10:56 PM
Old timer

When accelerating, it's smooth. If I let off the accelerator it's smooth deceleration except that it downshifts too soon (IMO) and that makes it unsmooth because it's kicking the lower gear in too soon meaning it's pushing the revs up a little when it does that. Sure, it helps slow the car sooner but it feels like crap.
And of course when it does that, I tend to step on the gas lightly since if I didn't the car would be stopping too soon. (I'm used to letting off the gas further away from stop signs.)
And of course when I step on the gas lightly, the car lurches forward slightly because the gas pedal in the CL-S is very touchy.

Does that sound like a problem or do they all do that? I think it's just the "grade logic" you're talking about... maybe?

-J

------------------
Stock for now.

Old 05-03-2001, 11:03 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

I did not notice that it would downshift by itself on flat roads, however I can assume that if you let off on a down hill it might downshift to slow you down... and yep that is because of the grade logic. Sure, you can downshift yourself to have an engine braking in steep down hills.

Second opinions is warranted. Also, if you ley another CLS drive it and have feeling how it's diffrent it would be better.

Finally, one has to consider that yours is brand new and not broken yet.

------------------
- HELMS Service Manual
- PIAA 19169 road lamps
Old 05-03-2001, 11:05 PM
Old timer

Ok, good points.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I did not notice that it would downshift by itself on flat roads,</font>
See, that's what mine is doing I think.

Maybe I'll let JZ try it out if I meet up with him this weekend and get his opinion.

Thanks

-J

------------------
Stock for now.
Old 05-04-2001, 12:14 AM
Advanced

I've also experienced less than optimal shifting performance travelling under 40 mph somewhere between 2000 and 3000 in the rpm band. Seems as though the hesitation that occurs is triggered most often on roads that do not have especially flat surfaces. I had thought that the grade logic might have something to do with the odd shifting pattern.

One thing I've noticed lately is that disabling the VSA markedly improves the situation. Also makes the car alot more fun to drive. Have been wondering whether or not there's a way to reverse the operation of the VSA light so that I don't have to stare at that glowing ! all the time...?

I have also begun to suspect that the "kick" caused by the AC fan cycling on and off is partially to blame for some of the lack of smoothness when accelerating at low speeds.

I plan to make a real issue out of the AC fan motion when I take my CL-S in next week. Has anyone else tried to have the lurching sensation caused by the AC fan at dead stop corrected?

QuickSilver
'01 CL-S (No Mods)

Old 05-04-2001, 12:37 AM
Old timer

I actually only ran the AC once to make sure it worked (along with the Auto ability).
I just leave it off with the vents open. The sunroof and windows pull enough air through the vents to keep me cool.

-J

------------------
Stock for now.
Old 05-04-2001, 12:45 AM
5th Gear

These cars do shift different than other automatics, it's the grade-logic. It bothered me at first but I've got used to it, now when I drive another automatic I think something is wrong with it.

------------------
Feliz
98 CL 3.0 Primrose
02 TL-S Silver
Old 05-04-2001, 03:00 AM
Burning Brakes

JRock --

I'm a new Acura owner (TL-S) and I felt the EXACT same way about the tranny as you did. I'm coming off an ultra-smooth (ultra-broken-in .. 110K miles) '94 ES300 w/ the 4-speed auto. The taller gears of the ES300 seemingly allowed me to "coast" .. as you correctly put it.. further away from a stop and use my brakes less (hence enhancing their lifespans..)

My service guy told me the lock-up torque converter has something to do w/ the "unusual" shifting I feel when coasting. In fact, if you look in the owner's manual in the transmission section, it'll tell you that when driving in D5 normally, you'll feel a "second shift" .. which is actually the torque converter locking up. Also, when you let off on the gas for a longer period of time, the tranny will think you're slowing down and will release the "lock" and you'll feel what seems like a downshift. I don't know if this helps you -- but I can also say that I now have 1800 miles on my TL-S and the transmission is MUCH smoother than it was when it had under 500 miles on it.

Best of Luck -- lemme know how it turns out!

------------------
2002 Acura TL-S
White Diamond Pearl/Parchment
Bone Stock
<A HREF="http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1629963&a=12459969&f=0
" TARGET=_blank>Click Here for Pics!
</A>

[This message has been edited by TL_Type_S (edited 05-04-2001).]
Old 05-04-2001, 11:18 AM
Old timer

Thanks for the info, I think that's exactly what I'm noticing. I guess it will smooth out a little over time but I'll just have to change my driving style and not let off the gas as early when coming up to a stop.

-J

------------------
Stock for now.
Old 05-04-2001, 11:46 AM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
JRock- what you are feeling is indeed the grade logic. The trans controller has the ability to learn.It will adapt slowly to your driving style. You will notice a difference by 700- 1000 miles and probably like the way it feels by then.

As for the "surge" you feel at idle when the A/C cycles, there is nothing to be done about that. It is the engine control compensating for the extra mechanical and electrical load. It occurs to varying degrees in all or cars and those of other manufacturers too.

------------------
Wayne Gruen
Service Manager
Park Ave Acura

2002 TL-S Black on Black
Factory Body Kit, Factory Spoiler, Comptech Springs, Comptech Sways, Comptech Headers, Comptech Exhaust, Xephyr CAI
Tuning by Jens
Old 05-04-2001, 11:56 AM
Old timer

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">As for the "surge" you feel at idle when the A/C cycles, there is nothing to be done about that. It is the engine control compensating for the extra mechanical and electrical load. It occurs to varying degrees in all or cars and those of other manufacturers too.
</font>
That wasn't me, that was something someone else said. I didn't have a problem with the A/C.

Thanks for confirming what I am feeling is just the grade logic.

-J

------------------
Stock for now.
Old 05-04-2001, 02:22 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

It hesistates slight at 2g's and shifts right after that so I've started using SS in local roads and shift right at 2 so it doesn't hesitate. SS on uphills is a bit tricky because you have to let the car go abit past 2g's and then shift.
One thing i've noticed that the car does climb from 2--->3 alot smoother then when I first got the car.

------------------
----
'01 Silver CL-Type S
!BEWARE THE SILVER SWORD!
Old 05-04-2001, 02:43 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Wayne,

What is the deal with the hesitation can it be corrected?

Thanks.

------------------
- HELMS Service Manual
- PIAA 19169 road lamps