question...

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2002, 01:44 AM
07 RDX Tech - Blue/Ebony

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
question...

given all the problems that the CL is facing these days (*cough* TRANNY *cough*), do you think it would be a wise investment to buy a CL-S 6spd? i was getting all excited about this car after reading about the comptech parts, but i dont want to have a car that im going to have to worry about and take into the shop every X amt of miles because the tranny is breaking. i know there havent been too many probs with the 6-speeds, but then again there arent too many out there. so since there are a few already, i think that might be a problem as well. im currently looking at either a rsx-s (with hondata ecu) or a CL-S6 (with comptech gear). the new accord coupe 6spd isnt out of the question either, but i dont know how many more horsies i can squeeze out of that car. i was almost fixed on the CL until i was reading about the 6spd probs too. i thought it wouldve been an auto tranny problem only...but i guess not. i guess i would just like to see what the general concensus is here. thanks for the input
Old 10-20-2002, 02:20 AM
Suzuka Master

if your looking for a stick and prefer FWD then get the cl-s 6mt

or u can check out the new g35 coupe

sidemarker
Old 10-20-2002, 03:00 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 708 Likes on 550 Posts
Re: question...

Originally posted by happasaiyan
given all the problems that the CL is facing these days (*cough* TRANNY *cough*), do you think it would be a wise investment to buy a CL-S 6spd? i was getting all excited about this car after reading about the comptech parts, but i dont want to have a car that im going to have to worry about and take into the shop every X amt of miles because the tranny is breaking. i know there havent been too many probs with the 6-speeds, but then again there arent too many out there. so since there are a few already, i think that might be a problem as well. im currently looking at either a rsx-s (with hondata ecu) or a CL-S6 (with comptech gear). the new accord coupe 6spd isnt out of the question either, but i dont know how many more horsies i can squeeze out of that car. i was almost fixed on the CL until i was reading about the 6spd probs too. i thought it wouldve been an auto tranny problem only...but i guess not. i guess i would just like to see what the general concensus is here. thanks for the input
If I had to do it all over again, I'd go with the same car I have now. Great car! I did not have any problems with transmission, though I only have 22K miles. Rattles is the only turn off, but they are not that bad. I compared it to Maxima 2003, it rattles almost the same.... I guess that's how they built most of the cars this days

Get CLS, and enjoy... If 6sp turns out to have problems, I am sure Acura will give 100k/7yr warranty just like it did for 2000-2002 CL/TL.
Old 10-20-2002, 03:55 AM
Under the radar

Grrrr

I am also one of those wierd CL-S auto owners with no problems. Of course I am also only at 5100 miles.
I live in an area with lots of traffic and lots of hills so I have the automatic. I lived with two stick-shift cars before and I am now loving the automatic.
Remember that on these web-boards problems are magnified 5,000 times.
Old 10-20-2002, 04:52 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,467 Likes on 3,776 Posts
I've got 61K on my car, drive it every day and NO problems at all (except cheap paint). If you're an enthusiast, there shld be no question as to which car to buy, the 6 speed. It of course wasn't available to me but I bought the car anyway. I would not buy an auto again tho, miss the manual tranny I've always had in every one of my previous cars. Buy the car, you won't be disappointed, there's not car out there that gives as much bang for the buck.
Old 10-20-2002, 05:41 PM
Subie Dubie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get the CL-S, 5AT OR 6MT. You won't be sorry, every car has problems and they are amplified on these boards. My car has been just about perfect, knock on wood, and there is still nothing in it's price range that comes close imho.
Old 10-20-2002, 06:25 PM
Do it! U Only Live Once!

Re: question...

Originally posted by happasaiyan
I think the tranny problem has been addressed for 2003. I'm sure you'll find less problems. Either choice, 6 speed or automatic...you can't go wrong. Either is covered by warranty for 100,000 miles. Make your choice and enjoy.
Old 10-21-2002, 02:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

I don't think the new extended tranny warranty applies to the '03s...well, I think only applies to some of the '03 autos. I thought the 6MT weren't part of that.

Correct me if I'm wrong...
Old 10-21-2002, 02:18 PM
Team Owner

Originally posted by gsrblack
I don't think the new extended tranny warranty applies to the '03s...well, I think only applies to some of the '03 autos. I thought the 6MT weren't part of that.
You are correct.
Only a few of the early build 2003 Auto’s are effected.

Happasaiyan…..Just buy the 6-Speed and don’t worry about the Tranny issues.

Shawn S
Old 10-21-2002, 02:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

One would think the same tranny issues would also be found in the 03 models. Everyone said it was fixed in 02, but yet 02's still had issues. I am just getting to 15K miles after just about 1 year, & the only thing that has happend was the cd player jammed, & needed replacment. No rattles, no tranny issues, the most trouble free car I have EVER had. The 6 speed would be nice, but I'm happy. So far no 6 speeds have any tranny issues.
Old 10-21-2002, 02:53 PM
Buckle Up

I have a 2001 CL-P 5AT. About 22k miles on it and no tranny problems what so ever.