Pro and Cons

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2004, 12:21 PM
The "S" is for Sssmooking

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pro and Cons

Ok guys here goes my first real newbie question.

I would over a time like to install all the main power upgrades for our cars
(sc, headers, ice box, uni chip, a quite exhaust system).
How ever I have a few concerns like space. I would like to put in every thing, in the next year or 2 so if I do it step by step what should go on first and will every thing fit or is the combination that I want impossible due to limited engine space? Also with all the things I need/want how much more sound/noise will be added to the engine? Then will my fuel economy go down a lot or up?

If some one has all these options, can you tell me how it is working for you?

Thanks for ur input this site and u guys are the best.

By the way i have a 01 CL-s
Old 06-14-2004, 12:52 PM
Adventurist.

Received 58 Likes on 22 Posts
Everything will fit. No worries to think about. Welcome!
Old 06-14-2004, 12:52 PM
Suzuka Master

The first thing would be the intake. Next would be headers followed by the exhuast. Unless you can pick up someone else's Unichip then that isn't a real possibility. Plus, if you plan on getting the supercharger you should just bypass the Unichip.
Old 06-14-2004, 12:53 PM
boosted is best

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Airplay
Ok guys here goes my first real newbie question.

How ever I have a few concerns like space. I would like to put in every thing, in the next year or 2 so if I do it step by step what should go on first and will every thing fit or is the combination that I want impossible due to limited engine space? Also with all the things I need/want how much more sound/noise will be added to the engine? Then will my fuel economy go down a lot or up?

If some one has all these options, can you tell me how it is working for you?

Thanks for ur input this site and u guys are the best.

By the way i have a 01 CL-s

I would go with the CT icebox and headers first. But realize that the S/C you might add later comes with its own intake that would replace the CT Icebox; but you could always sell it. Next I would go with the CT full catback exhaust (b-pipe and axleback). Finally, I'd do the CT S/C. There is no UniChip application for the S/C nor will there likely be one.

Please be aware though, with all this extra power, you should also do suspension mods in parallel. I'd go with CT sways and better tires first, then springs and last konis.

As far as gas mileage, you won't lose any for freeway driving if you're not heavy footed. I average 30+ MPG on the freeway with all the engine mods. Around town driving will drop a little. But if you on it, you will go through a lot more gas over a stock setup.

The engine and exhaust sound with the CT i/sc/h/b-pipe/e is awesome; but not too load. However, between 2000-2750 RPM there is a deeper sounding exhaust with some droning sound. You can add the CT quiet exhaust inserts that quiets the deeper sound a lot with only a very slight lose in power.

As far as space goes, I'm not sure what you're referring to.
Old 06-14-2004, 12:59 PM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ok well lets break down what you want to install:

-Supercharger
-Headers
-Ice Box
-UniChip
-Exhaust System

First off the S/C and the UniChip don't work together so it’s either one or the other. If you were to get the S/C you can get the Greddy E-Manage which would enable you to see some gains.

That being said that’s the only conflicting area in your list. Everything else works well together and space is not a problem. As far as what you should do first I'd say that depends on your budget.

If you had the money you could do the S/C, Headers, Icebox & Exhaust combo right now. Since you said you wanted to do this over a 2 year time period I'd start with headers first. If you're sure about doing the S/C install you should know that the S/C kit already comes with an Ice Box. If you were to get the ice box before you did the S/C you could always sell it, however it’s something to keep in mind.

An exhaust setup is really only going to yield gains in the looks and sound department. Coupled with the S/C you'll then see some power gains. Without it the stock CL exhaust is about as free-flowing as you can get.

You asked about how much extra noise this is all gonna create coming from the engine. Obviously its gonna be louder then stock however w/out an aftermarket exhaust and with the S/C you still won't sound like a hot rod. Its gonna be “fairly” discrete.

Fuel economy may actually go up with the addition of these mods. However with all the new power you've opened up comes the desire to "get on the car" more and by doing that you're gonna see your MPG go down.

Also keep in mind that your adding more power however you haven't listed any plans to do any suspension mods. Something you really need to consider. Spring, sways & tires at the very least would be recommended if you went with everything here including the S/C.

Something else to consider is that if you go the S/C route you'll need a few other things besides just the S/C kit. A new smaller battery, if you don't want to relocate your stock one to the trunk, is needed. Also a tranny cooler would be recommend considering you have the Automatic.

I personally would start off with a few basic suspension mods then headers and finally get the S/C and everything you'll need/should get with it.

This is the route i'm going. Also don't forget to use the SEARCH feature as there's a lot of good info there.

Hope that helped.

(EDIT by the time i finished typing this out you had more then enough answers. )

Originally Posted by Airplay
Old 06-14-2004, 01:02 PM
Fuct in the hed!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Get it all in one shot... it would probably save you money in the long run! Imagine getting it all...dropping your car off, picking it up a day later with over 300hp....wouldn't be nice
Old 06-14-2004, 02:14 PM
Registered Big Dog

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by cls6sp03
Please be aware though, with all this extra power, you should also do suspension mods in parallel. I'd go with CT sways and better tires first, then springs and last konis.
Old 06-14-2004, 02:16 PM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Nicky Pass
Get it all in one shot... it would probably save you money in the long run! Imagine getting it all...dropping your car off, picking it up a day later with over 300hp....wouldn't be nice

will be like picking up a totally diff car.
Old 06-14-2004, 02:20 PM
The "S" is for Sssmooking

Thx guys for ur input, lot of great info. My budget is about $500-$1500 a month depending on how much cash I can earn from my side job.
Ok I didn't really thinks about any suspension stuff but I guess it would make sense, due to added power. I don't want to lower my CL-S at all. What would u recommend? My main objective is to have a sleeper (I don't want it to look too flashy and I don’t won’t u to hear me coming).
Ok I guess the uni chip is out, hence my next question how good is the stock chip at interpreting that I have mods vs. the gredy E-manage. Is gredy really worth it?
Old 06-14-2004, 02:26 PM
Suzuka Master

If you are staying with just minimal to modest boost levels then no external engine management item is needed.
Old 06-14-2004, 02:41 PM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
get the comptech drop with 18s it looks like its normal and there is still some gap if you like the gap thing.