(possible repost) these bodykits?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2004, 07:19 AM
Homeless

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Excelerate
I dont understand why they can fabricate these ridiculous bumpers that no one wants but they cant fabricate the SEMA kit which is no where near as complex as the other kits..
So you're saying reproducing the SEMA CL would NOT be complex?

As I've said before, no 'kit' will come close to the bodywork that went into that show car. Every lower panel on that car was massaged in some way or another...that is a TON of bodywork~probably even some metal work as well.

I'd love to see a 'kit' that comes near looking what the SEMA car looks like...but it's going to take more than a four piece set, guaranteed.
Old 07-02-2004, 08:29 AM
Above n Beyond

Received 132 Likes on 50 Posts
those pics are hott!
Old 07-02-2004, 08:41 AM
Aegean Inferno

I have some questions that just came to mind don't mean to ssound like a noob but even if to say that they made a fiberglass kit regardless if its hand laid or sprayed, I myself prefer hand laid, but can't they then use that kit to make a mold or use it as a template for a urethane kit? I was wondering can you have a urethane kit bondo to a fiberglass piece? Asking only because urethane is flexible as fiberglass is not - example urethane kit bondo to fiberglass fender flares.

So what do you guys think are we going to look into this or are we going to let this thread die out. What turn around time frame are we looking at here from your friend and is he willing to notorize a letter backing up our deposits, and is 675 a total or a deposit? Let us know.
Old 07-02-2004, 10:51 AM
horny =

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
i would buy it for $650 and I think if it actually worked the person who made it would be a rich man.
Old 07-02-2004, 11:47 AM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
Originally Posted by mrsteve
The M5 lip spoiler would fit well with the SEMA kit
It would , but IMO the SEMA lip spoiler just looks sweet since it actually contours the trunk the lid and comes down a little bit and hangs over the Acura emblem.
Old 07-02-2004, 12:37 PM
FWD tuna boat

i dont understand the complexity of fabricating the SEMA kit but i guess it's tougher than it seems.

i'm no pro, but other kits seem much more difficult to make...SEMA kit is pretty simple. if someone finally did create the SEMA kit, without having US invest, i think it would be the top seller for CLs...and they would make plenty of $$$ selling it. why does everyone that plans on creating this always need an inventment? i'm sure it would cost a bit, but the return would be significant!

btw, i love the lines on the kit...i would not change a thing...well, except for those gills on the front.
Old 07-02-2004, 01:05 PM
Rod
Drifting

Originally Posted by andre
i dont understand the complexity of fabricating the SEMA kit but i guess it's tougher than it seems.
This has been answered already.
Originally Posted by chris3240929
So you're saying reproducing the SEMA CL would NOT be complex?

As I've said before, no 'kit' will come close to the bodywork that went into that show car. Every lower panel on that car was massaged in some way or another...that is a TON of bodywork~probably even some metal work as well.

I'd love to see a 'kit' that comes near looking what the SEMA car looks like...but it's going to take more than a four piece set, guaranteed.
Old 07-02-2004, 01:14 PM
FWD tuna boat

Originally Posted by Rod
This has been answered already.
i understand the work that goes into making that first prototype (fabrication, massaging, etc.), but once it's done, mold it and replicate it. is it much more complicated than that??? if so, why do so many companies make these radical kits that look like they belong on mars? fugly stuff. someone please copy the SEMA kit! i would love to work on it...if i knew how especially since it would sell so quickly!
Old 07-02-2004, 01:29 PM
Advanced

Alright here's the deal guys. I know you guys want this kit and I'm not making a penny off any of this, I just wanna help you guys out. I appreciate all the posts with constructive comments, those are the posts that will actually help this project get finished. Just to answer a few questions...

Why not urethane?
The majority of aftermarket body kits are fiberglass. This is because urethane is harder to work with and more expensive. Many shops don't have the tools to work with urethane. Besides the issue of producing the kit, there is the quality. True wings west, and many other companies have the capabilities to produce quality urethane kits, but the majority of after market kits still have yet to reach the OEM type durability. From what I have heard, many of the after market kits made of urethane "sag" and become soft in hot weather.

Will this be a 4 or 6 piece kit?
As of right now, my friend says if he produces it, he's going to make it a 4 piece kit. I think if he extends the front and back portion of the sideskirts a little above the bottom line, a similar look could be achieved. As for the spoiler, my friend has already said that he doesn't want to deal with it cause he said it's too much of a pain to make. If you guys don't want the "gills"/"vents" on the sides of the front bumpers, let me know, or you could always just get them shaved off at any body shop.

Will the producer notarize payments?
I just talked to my friend, he is willing to notarize basically whatever you guys want. Like I said I know trust is an issue and I'm willing to work with the so cal members on the board.

What will the kit look like?
The kit will look identical to the SEMA kit unless you guys want something else. My friend is actually working on a kit for the new TL and it's going to be displayed at the detroit auto show. I'll post pics as soon as he has the kit mounted. Hopefully that can give you guys a better idea of his company's work.
Old 07-02-2004, 04:24 PM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
What is the name of this company? Where is it located? 4-piece sounds fine. As long as the side skirts look close to what is shown in the SEMA kit; it doesn't need to extend any farther up than where the stock side skirts meet the door and the rest of the body.
Old 07-02-2004, 07:02 PM
Above n Beyond

4 piece is fine with me, but ya have to lose those vents on the side. im definately in if they make this kit.
Old 07-02-2004, 07:04 PM
Above n Beyond

4 piece is fine with me, but ya have to lose those vents on the side. im definately in if they make this kit. i just think nobody has taken an initiative to making too many bodykits, cause they dont make our model anymore, therefore the demands will be less, and the total outcome might not be as high as some other models who hold their body styles past 4 yrs.
Old 07-02-2004, 07:46 PM
COME AT ME BRO!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
[QUOTE=Drgnchild]I have some questions that just came to mind don't mean to ssound like a noob but even if to say that they made a fiberglass kit regardless if its hand laid or sprayed, I myself prefer hand laid, but can't they then use that kit to make a mold or use it as a template for a urethane kit? I was wondering can you have a urethane kit bondo to a fiberglass piece? Asking only because urethane is flexible as fiberglass is not - example urethane kit bondo to fiberglass fender flares.

you would need to under lay fiberglass to give it some backing. bondo will not hold by its self. you just us a high grade body filler (not bondo) like metalworks. you use the body filler to cover the fiberglass. remember to fiberglass both front and back of fenders for strengh. good luck let me know how it comes out.
Old 07-03-2004, 09:33 AM
Homeless

Originally Posted by AcCoRdCoUpE2k1
Will this be a 4 or 6 piece kit?
As of right now, my friend says if he produces it, he's going to make it a 4 piece kit. I think if he extends the front and back portion of the sideskirts a little above the bottom line, a similar look could be achieved. As for the spoiler, my friend has already said that he doesn't want to deal with it cause he said it's too much of a pain to make. If you guys don't want the "gills"/"vents" on the sides of the front bumpers, let me know, or you could always just get them shaved off at any body shop.

What will the kit look like?
The kit will look identical to the SEMA kit unless you guys want something else. My friend is actually working on a kit for the new TL and it's going to be displayed at the detroit auto show. I'll post pics as soon as he has the kit mounted. Hopefully that can give you guys a better idea of his company's work.
1. Let's see those pics as soon as you have them. I don't necessarily like the idea of fiber, but if he extends the panels upwards like you say, it will look 10x better and have better strength.

2. If I like the quality & look, I'll be down to fund a good chunk of the creation. And, regardless of the nitpicks...if he's doing a SEMA-style kit...it should probably be left to the buyer to customize if they do/do not want vents/fins, etc. IMHO. I would make the kit how it is & let the buyer do his own thing.
Old 07-03-2004, 04:24 PM
Pro

i like the kit that krazix or something liek that had on his car...i believe it was a r33 kit? i think that looked really nice and clean on the cl
Old 07-03-2004, 05:48 PM
COME AT ME BRO!

that r33 kit was cut and hand made to fit his car you need a really good custom body guy to do work like that. shit i want to know what fender flares he used been lookin all over for them so i can wide body mine.
Old 07-03-2004, 07:04 PM
My Work is Done Here

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Is the proposed kit going to require body work on all 4 pieces? The reason I ask is because I liked the idea of the front and rear bumper simply replacing the stock f/r bumpers, not being molded to the bumpers.

I think 4 pieces is fine too. Also, I like the holes on each side of the front bumper, but could live without them if that is what is decided on. Personally, as close to SEMA as possible would be the safest way to go.

I'm with Chris3240929, and would definitely be down to help fund it if I like the quality and the look.
Old 07-03-2004, 07:36 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
Originally Posted by robeaneee
i like the kit that krazix or something liek that had on his car...i believe it was a r33 kit? i think that looked really nice and clean on the cl
Old 07-04-2004, 03:44 AM
Advanced

robeaneee - Hey whats up man, post some pics of this kit.

evilone - Post some pics, maybe I can tell you what fenders they are.

ccannizz11 - If they body kit is made, it will be a full bumper replacement. Molding would be an individual decision.

chris3240929 - I'll try to get pictures soon.

I'm still talking to my friend about making this kit. I know there is heavy interest in it, so I am pushing my friend to make it. Are there 10 people interested enough to invest?
Old 07-04-2004, 05:28 AM
Pro

i have the pictures on my computer, but i cant host them. but im sure you guys remember the pictures of the bright blue colored cl that won multiple prizes..it was this electric blue-ish color. the kit on that car is the one im talking about
Old 07-04-2004, 03:34 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by robeaneee
i have the pictures on my computer, but i cant host them. but im sure you guys remember the pictures of the bright blue colored cl that won multiple prizes..it was this electric blue-ish color. the kit on that car is the one im talking about
hmmm...Sorry I'm an accord owner, so i'm not too familiar with some of the popular CLs. Is it a blue supercharged CL with lambo doors? Email me some pics.
Old 07-04-2004, 03:39 PM
Pro

does that work? if it does...thats the one im talking about...wow if only i can make my car look like that...except for the lambo doors..seems kinda inconvenient..woudlnt mind that girl in there either haha
Old 07-04-2004, 04:52 PM
Advanced

Hmm...that's not a R33 kit, looks more like a custom Black Widow kit. Interesting, I see this car at the shows all the time but I never really stopped to look at his body work. Looks like he shaved the side vents of a black widow kit and kind of molded some of the other holes, but the general shape definately resembles that of a Black Widow Gen1 bumper.

btw if those are the fenders flares that someone was asking about earlier, those are universal flares that can be molded onto almost any car.
Old 07-04-2004, 05:10 PM
Pro

now that i think about it...that doesn't really look like an r33 at all...i guess im smokin crack or something...anyway how hard would it be to customize the black widow so it looks like that?

btw...where in s cali are you located?
Old 07-04-2004, 05:26 PM
goldmemberererer

No offense to anyone, but that krazi guy's car does not compare to the SEMA CL by far. I've seen better shots of his car and I'd take the SEMA one over it anyday. Not as showy, and a shitload more classy.

My bumpers a bit scratched up. I'm looking at every kit possible to see if it's worth investing in. The SEMA CL is worth investing in.
Old 07-04-2004, 09:17 PM
Instructor

the back of the sema kit looks alot like the stock bumper on the o4 tl's. wonder if you can make a kit out of the 04 tl bumpers
Old 07-05-2004, 12:33 AM
Above n Beyond

someone please make the sema kit......lol
Old 07-05-2004, 10:30 AM
COME AT ME BRO!

omg back to this stupid sema kit and the car with r33 or r34 bumper is the silver widebody cls with carbon deck lid.
Old 07-05-2004, 03:05 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by evilone
omg back to this stupid sema kit and the car with r33 or r34 bumper is the silver widebody cls with carbon deck lid.
So...no Sema kit? I'm just trying to gauge how much interest there is for this kit. I know a few of you are very interested, but there has to be AT LEAST 10 buyers.
Old 07-05-2004, 03:42 PM
Sweet as Gold

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Start a new thread w/ a possible group buy and you'll generate more attenetion!!!
Old 07-05-2004, 03:42 PM
Team Owner

Make a new thread in this forum asking for interest. You'll need to have something legit to back it up with though...
Old 07-05-2004, 03:43 PM
Team Owner

Damnit Ant!
Old 07-05-2004, 04:44 PM
Above n Beyond

yeah we would need to know full details.

how much
with front bumper vents or not
lip spoiler or not

things like that

im very interested, would just like to see this go smoothly.
Old 07-05-2004, 06:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Yes please... revisit a SEMA kit replica (non-fiberglass).
Old 07-06-2004, 08:27 AM
Aegean Inferno

If you need people interested in investing for this kit count me in but I also agree with ANT7701 and mrsteve to get the attention you are looking for start a new thread with all the information you can gather up as if to say if you were going to buy the kit for your car any questions that you might come up with will probably be the same questions that the members here might ask you so it would be a good idea to have something like that ready ahead of time. example - like what you entered in earlier you stated a questioned topic and then answered it in detail something like that is good.

Evilone thanks for your response I'll let you know how it turns out.

If I'm not mistaken wasn't rondog working on a kit that he was designing, does anyone know where along the lines he is with project. We should get him in on this see what he says does anyone know how to contact him?
Old 07-06-2004, 04:42 PM
bp

http://ronjonwheels.com/contact.html
Old 07-07-2004, 07:06 PM
Advanced

Sorry I've been slow to respond as of late. This week is midterm week for my summer school session. I will do as you guys suggested and start a new thread so I can try to gauge the true level of interest. As soon as I get some pics of the TL kit I'll post them up and start a new thread.

-Robert
Old 07-07-2004, 07:27 PM
Aegean Inferno

Thanks Guy We'll be waiting good luck on the midterm!