Porsche Carrera GT video...

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2003, 03:57 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I rest my case.......

Originally posted by 03TL_PlaTinUM
excuse me, but did you just call my accord stupid, out of the blue for no reason? stupid huh? is it just me or was the CLS C A N C E L L E D ???? Since it was such a misreable failure in the only category that really maters in the end: SALES!! GO TO HELL

you paid more for your car than my accord, hell 10K more, but where is your:

dual zone climate control
.29 drag coefficient
drive by wire throttle
elctronic break force distribution
break assist
voice activated navi
revised gear ratios in 4th and 5th
tranny cooler integrated into the transmission stock
remote control and key all in one, ala BMW, which raises and lowers the windows from a distance.

MODERTATORS: I really really didn't want to go into this stupid age old arguement, but this guy asked for it! No offence to all you CLS guys on this forum!
Old 11-17-2003, 03:58 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by srika
To me the new GT40 is still in the same playing field as Viper and Vette... both of which its faster than, though.

r3
yeah, but if you know your history on the GT40, you'll know that it was america's answer to ferrari in the 60's. the sole purpose of building it was to compete with the italians, and it BEAT them hands down on their own turf!
Old 11-17-2003, 03:59 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Zapata
I rest my case.......
YOU ASKED FOR IT ASSHAT!
Old 11-17-2003, 04:00 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dude unless you enjoy listening to broken records I suggest stopping the argument with Zapata.

Your both going to end up going back and forth. And the reality is your never going to agree.

He's happy with his beliefs. Nothing wrong with that, even if yours are totally different. I can tell you that you will not change his mind. Many of us have gone at the GT topic.

To each his own.
Old 11-17-2003, 04:01 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

YOU ASKED FOR IT ASSHAT!
i already knew what was coming man. No big suprise.
Old 11-17-2003, 04:03 PM
Banned

Oh and in case you guys haven't figured it out yet, the reason why we midwestern guys like the GT40 is because we are still: AMERICANS!
Old 11-17-2003, 04:04 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Oh and in case you guys haven't figured it out yet, the reason why we midwestern guys like the GT40 is because we are still: AMERICANS!
should've bought a mustang or an impala instead of the HONDA.....

again read this thread
http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...hreadid=115637

it will explain to you why the CGT is more expensive in great detail.

lol patriotism = love for domestic cars? baehaehae Riiiiiiight.....
Old 11-17-2003, 04:10 PM
Moderator Alumnus

should've bought a mustang or an impala instead of the HONDA.....

again read this thread
http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...hreadid=115637

it will explain to you why the CGT is more expensive in great detail.

lol patriotism = love for domestic cars? baehaehae Riiiiiiight.....
Zapata if you choose to realize that racing is country against country.

You'd soon realize that the GT stands for the Americans beating the europeans. So, yes, for that car. It does mean that...

No, NOT ALL AMERICAN CARS. sheesh man, to prove a point you'll apprach things from any angle. Only thing your proving is you can ignore facts to repeat yourself in a different fashion.

You don't have to like the car. And heck, I don't care if you want to IGNORE THE FACTS.

Ignorance is a choice....

I too like the Porsche better, but I don't take the GT off it's throne.
Old 11-17-2003, 04:35 PM
yeah,yeah,uh,huh,wh,what

Old 11-17-2003, 05:14 PM

If i have to pick american then......... then the S7 it is.

Originally posted by SiGGy

You'd soon realize that the GT stands for the Americans beating the europeans. So, yes, for that car. It does mean that...

No, NOT ALL AMERICAN CARS. sheesh man, to prove a point you'll apprach things from any angle. Only thing your proving is you can ignore facts to repeat yourself in a different fashion.

You don't have to like the car. And heck, I don't care if you want to IGNORE THE FACTS.

Old 11-17-2003, 05:30 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Racing MIGHT'VE been country against country sometime back but it no longer is the case....atleast that's not the way i see it.

There is German and a Brazillian driving ferraris, columbian driving a BMW, a Scot and a Fin driving mercs....sorry it just isn't the case. People root for drivers and manufacturers.

Every major racing circut has individual racing points and then TEAM/MANUFACTURERS points. Not points for countries.

A indian designed the 350z, an american is styling BMW, a japaneese fellow designed the ezno if i'm not mistaken....so where is it that country has ANYTHING to do with ANYTHING??

GT40 does beat the italians. Yet, isn't the GT40 a brand new car? How long has the 360 platform been around? A few years longer no? Let's wait and see a few things. 1- Ferraris response 2- How the GT40 does in LeMans racing. Simply releasing the car doesn't put the GT40 on any throne. If i'm no mistaken the original gt40 didin't gain its reputation until it consistantly outperformed ferraris even as the italians attempted to respond.

In terms of FACTS you've haven't provided any. All you have provided is your opinion and feeling........those are not facts....

Old 11-17-2003, 05:32 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Racing MIGHT'VE been country against country sometime back but it no longer is the case....atleast that's not the way i see it.

There is German and a Brazillian driving ferraris, columbian driving a BMW, a Scot and a Fin driving mercs....sorry it just isn't the case. People root for drivers and manufacturers.

Every major racing circut has individual racing points and then TEAM/MANUFACTURERS points. Not points for countries.

A indian designed the 350z, an american is styling BMW, a japaneese fellow designed the ezno if i'm not mistaken....so where is it that country has ANYTHING to do with ANYTHING??

GT40 does beat the italians. Yet, isn't the GT40 a brand new car? How long has the 360 platform been around? A few years longer no? Let's wait and see a few things. 1- Ferraris response 2- How the GT40 does in LeMans racing. Simply releasing the car doesn't put the GT40 on any throne. If i'm no mistaken the original gt40 didin't gain its reputation until it consistantly outperformed ferraris even as the italians attempted to respond.

In terms of FACTS you've haven't provided any. All you have provided is your opinion and feeling........those are not facts....
]

Your wrong with just about eveything you've said here...

I stated facts, not opinions.

Only OPINION I gave is your ignorant. But I don't think I'm the only one who shares it.

go read the GT thread in the autmotive news section. i don't feel like repeating myself... yet again...

g'nite
Old 11-17-2003, 05:41 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

]

Your wrong with just about eveything you've said here...

I stated facts, not opinions.

Only OPINION I gave is your ignorant. But I don't think I'm the only one who shares it.

go read the GT thread in the autmotive news section. i don't feel like repeating myself... yet again...

g'nite
lol right facts.....where??

Your opinion

FACT the previous GT40 Beat the Europeans. Although neither have actually raced seems the CGT will out perform the GT40. So yes the GT40 will no doubt eat the 360....same can not be said for the CGT.

Ignorant how so? WHat facts have i ingnored or choose to ignore?

Still waiting for the facts...... Never said i didn't like the car nor that i hated the car but if you insist on putting words in my mouth then have it.

True

What throne? Hasn't raced hasn't placed....again what throne?
Old 11-17-2003, 05:43 PM
Moderator Alumnus

I'll have some fun here...

where's the fact in "NOT THE WAY I SEE IT". thats an OPINION

You must only watch Nascar. And you don't quite understand what the Lemans race is about.

No the GT40 is NOT a brand new car. The Ford GT is, and it's based on the old GT40. The GT which is base on the GT40 has been around a long time.

LOL I give up... I dunno why I bother sometimes... off to the TV for me... g'nite

maybe the TL dude will continue chatting, but I'm done for tonight...

peace out
Old 11-17-2003, 05:51 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

I'll have some fun here...

where's the fact in "NOT THE WAY I SEE IT". thats an OPINION

You must only watch Nascar. And you don't quite understand what the Lemans race is about.

No the GT40 is NOT a brand new car. The Ford GT is, and it's based on the old GT40. The GT which is base on the GT40 has been around a long time.

LOL I give up...

Again, you seem to be forgetting to include the FACTS you keep refering to....

My facts?

Those are all facts, not opinion....

gt40...new GT of course, the supercharged 5L engine is what i was referencing....my apologies for not being more clear.

Nascar lol no....props for the driving and engine building etc., but i prefer racing that has left and right turns, elevation changes, racing in the rain or any combination thereof.....
Old 11-17-2003, 05:54 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

siggy,
agreed....no point in going any further have a good night
Old 11-17-2003, 05:58 PM
Suzuka Master

The GT40 will probably beat all the cars in it's price range by a good margin. I honestly do believe that if GM or Ford invested in motorsports, they would dominate. Ford proved it's point in the mid-60's and could do it again if they wanted. The GT is distinctively American.

IMO....Ferrari's are overrated. Most of these high powered exotics are just status symbols. The owners of these types of car probably will store them, and not use them for their intended purposes.
Old 11-17-2003, 06:25 PM
Advanced

it all depends on preference. You want some thing new, go for the GT... as of now europe makes almost all of the grand touring cars. People debate over which entry level luxury car to buy, and it all ends up on preference. Since none of you have driven the GT40, its hard to say what is better. Ive been in a 911 Turbo going at 160 mph on the highway, and i appreciate the downforce in the turns... I can safely say that a 911 Turbo is worth the 100 grand... I do like Ferrari's because they are more "exotic," but ive never driven one, so i cant really tell

Most of you would rather have a V12 Vanquish than a BMW M3... but a Vanquish making over 450 HP using 12 cylinders runs 0-60 in 5 seconds while a M3 using 6 cylinders only takes 4.8 seconds. And a 360 modena with 8 cylinders takes 4.5 seconds.
What is a vanquish? its a Status symbol... so whats wrong with it being a status symbol? Absolutely Nothing.

I also disagree with the fact that ford or GM would dominate European Motorsports. Im sure they would win a few, just like Honda has won a few, but Ford and GM have spent too much time driving around ovals for 2+ hours and calling it racing.

If you like the GT and have the money to buy it, totally go for it. Just be sure to test drive IT as well as other cars before you deem it "holy grail of its price range"
Old 11-17-2003, 06:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
but the GT is the holy grail of it's price range, and beyond.
Old 11-18-2003, 08:03 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 10,341 Likes on 5,253 Posts
Good point about how the original GT40 did at the LeMans races.... it did give Ferrari something to worry about.

Just because people who buy Ferraris don't necessarily race them, doesn't take anything away from the cars. Yes they probably serve more as status symbols, but the "racing heritage" is all there, these cars can be taken to the racetrack if you want and raced all day long - of course you may have some ungodly maintenance expense at the end of the day.

I don't know about calling the GT "the holy grail" at its price range, and beyond though... its a pure race car, there's no doubt about that, and I wouldn't mind owning one. If it was a little cheaper.

ps. Zapata and Siggy - u guyz iz crazy.......

R3
Old 11-18-2003, 09:40 AM
-S namyaC-

Originally posted by turbowhat
...Ford and GM have spent too much time driving around ovals for 2+ hours and calling it racing.
haha - Nascar is a joke if you ask me. Let's have the Nascar drivers race F1 for a while. $10 says an F1 driver could tear up a Nascar track but would rather not get bored senseless...
Old 11-18-2003, 09:43 AM
-S namyaC-

And - I don't care how much performance the Ford GT has - I would rather have even a 911 Turbo. Any of these cars over $100K is going to be sick in the performance area.

Ford = :thumbsdn:

Ferrari, Porsche, etc > Ford
Old 11-18-2003, 09:59 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by proaudio22
haha - Nascar is a joke if you ask me. Let's have the Nascar drivers race F1 for a while. $10 says an F1 driver could tear up a Nascar track but would rather not get bored senseless...
not sure if you know, but they did this kind of event on June 11th 2003...

Jeff Gordon did really well and was thrilled by his experience with the F1 car. Juan Pablo Montoya did not have much to say about his experience with Jeff's NASCAR...... lol

more info:

Nascar.com
Roadandtrack.com
Racingnewsonline.com
SRT Forums
Motorsport
Old 11-18-2003, 10:04 AM
-S namyaC-

Nutz now I owe someone $10.

Thanks for the links...
Old 11-18-2003, 10:11 AM
Senior Moderator

just some quotes from the articles if you don't wanna read em:

the decision to run the GP course was the right one. It would have been a real snoozer for Montoya to stick to the square oval and only turn left. He already proved he could do that when he won the Indy 500 in 2000.
To be certain, they both had a lot of fun driving each other's cars. But deep down, I know that Jeff Gordon got the better end of the deal.
Whoever commented earlier about the sound of the Carrera GT not doing it for them, have a read:

It's just that the other-worldly shriek of a 19,000-rpm, three-liter motor that was practically designed yesterday will always turn more heads than the roar of a 9,000 rpm OHV motor developed in the 50s. Always.

And it would turn your head, too. That is, if you ever get the chance to experience these mechanical wonders for yourself.
You really have to hear an F1 car in person to appreciate it, I think. TV does not do it justice. Bring earplugs, you may need them later on in the day. Of course I never bring any.

hehehe. you know, Jeff Gordon did REALLY WELL. He actually surprised a lot of people. His laptimes at the Indy F1 circuit in the BMW FW24 after only a FEW laps were only off by a few seconds of the regular F1 drivers from this season!!! That really, is commendable. Gotta give him props for that.....

R3
Old 11-18-2003, 10:18 AM
Senior Moderator

http://www.srtforums.com/forums/showthread/t-19451.html

paeva:
I watched it. I am a F1 fan that can't sit through a NASCAR race. At first I just thought Gordan did a good job. Then I realized Gordan had not driven the road corse at Indy in any car before the Trading Paint show. I now have much more respect for him than before.
Arioch:
He had never driven an F1 car, he had never driven the Indy road course, he only had 6 laps (or was it 12), and he was still only 6 seconds off Michael Schumachers pole-setting lap for the 2002 season. No small task, that is. And the general consensus is that the F1 car was setup for maximum saftey (read: highest downforce) for his and the cars saftey, which is worth my guess, at least 2 seconds around the Indy road course.

Gordon really impressed me, and I loved his comment of "I think I got the better end of the deal on this one", meaning he thinks he had more fun in the F1 car and Montoya did in the Cup car. A good show. I'd reccomend it to anyone that likes either F1, NASCAR, or road-racing in general.
Old 11-18-2003, 10:19 AM
-S namyaC-

I did read the top two articles. I said that last comment after reading how well Jeff did. I really like F1 racing. I LOVE the sound hehe, the Carrera GT made me mess my pants. I gotta figure out how to get my CL to sound like that. 19K rpm 3 liter eh? That's the same size I have now, think it would be a drop in swap?

I've neva seen F1 in person, but I'd love to. I have th earplugs covered, I have a $150 set (flat freq response so you can mix w/ them) for work.
Old 11-18-2003, 10:39 AM
Senior Moderator

oh I quoted the articles just in general for anyone who didn't want to read them..... not in your direction particularly.

And it was cusdaddy that said they didn't like the sound of the CGT. Again wasn't talking about you.

$150 set of earplugs eh. Got a link? I wanna check those badboys out. Wait are those noise-cancelling earphones??

R3
Old 11-18-2003, 10:45 AM
-S namyaC-

$150 set of earplugs eh. Got a link? I wanna check those badboys out. Wait are those noise-cancelling earphones??

R3
They are Westone ES49s (scroll down the page on the link below). They have interchangable filters, and are pretty much completly flat to let you hear the music as is - just at a safer volume. I have the ER15 filters that attenuate 15db for general stuff, and the ER25 filters that attenuate 25db for running monitors (fawking deaf musicians ). You have to go see an audiologist to get molds made of your ear canal as they are custom fit. You send the mold to Westone, and they make the plugs. My German teacher in HS has his own private audiology practice, and hooked me up w/ the molds for cheap. I think all together it was a tad over $150. They are soo damn comfortable! I hardly remember they are in sometimes...

http://www.westone.com/music/elite.html#es49

Old 11-18-2003, 10:53 AM
Senior Moderator

wow thats cool. just a tad pricey..

r3
Old 11-18-2003, 01:14 PM
Suzuka Master

You really have to hear an F1 car in person to appreciate it, I think. TV does not do it justice. Bring earplugs, you may need them later on in the day. Of course I never bring any.
I agree that I've only seen it on TV, so I can't really say what it's like in person, but it still is annoying to me. I definitely think it's a technological marvel, but it doesn't mean I have to like the sound
Old 11-18-2003, 01:19 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by cusdaddy
I agree that I've only seen it on TV, so I can't really say what it's like in person, but it still is annoying to me. I definitely think it's a technological marvel, but it doesn't mean I have to like the sound
you like it, you like it....... lol.

19,000 rpm's in your face, buddy.

R3
Old 11-18-2003, 03:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Just because people who buy Ferraris don't necessarily race them, doesn't take anything away from the cars. Yes they probably serve more as status symbols, but the "racing heritage" is all there, these cars can be taken to the racetrack if you want and raced all day long - of course you may have some ungodly maintenance expense at the end of the day.

R3
I was told by a senior Bondurant instuructor that Ferrari's and Lambo's tend to break a lot at the track.
Old 11-18-2003, 03:07 PM
Suzuka Master

hehehe. you know, Jeff Gordon did REALLY WELL. He actually surprised a lot of people. His laptimes at the Indy F1 circuit in the BMW FW24 after only a FEW laps were only off by a few seconds of the regular F1 drivers from this season!!! That really, is commendable. Gotta give him props for that.....

R3
Gordon did so well because he grew up driving karts. Maybe thats why he is such a dominating figure in Nascar
Old 11-18-2003, 03:43 PM
Miss th 3.0

ahhhh the sound of music
Old 11-18-2003, 11:44 PM
Safety Car

ok, back to the porsche.

gotta love that chassis too!
must save as.
Old 11-18-2003, 11:59 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
that vid gives me goosebumps.
Old 11-19-2003, 11:31 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by Maximized
I was told by a senior Bondurant instuructor that Ferrari's and Lambo's tend to break a lot at the track.
I have heard of Lambo's breaking down.... but Ferraris like 355's and 360's are pretty robust and can be driven hard for a long time. Some of the other Ferraris (more GT type of cars like Testarossa, 456, etc) - may not last so long. F40, F50, and Enzo are basically street-legal racecars, so I see no issues there.

That being said, your statement, in general, may be true.

R3
Old 11-19-2003, 12:01 PM
Racer

This thread supplied me with my weeks quota of entertainment from the friendly banter back and forth to the most incredible video of a Porsche I've ever seen! I owned an old 911 and loved it but it did'nt sound like my Jaguar XKE! I to prefer a deeper rumble but the smile on that guys face as he blipped the throttle spoke a thousand words of excitement!
Old 11-19-2003, 12:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by blazerbob1
This thread supplied me with my weeks quota of entertainment from the friendly banter back and forth to the most incredible video of a Porsche I've ever seen! I owned an old 911 and loved it but it did'nt sound like my Jaguar XKE! I to prefer a deeper rumble but the smile on that guys face as he blipped the throttle spoke a thousand words of excitement!
thank you, blazerbob. Nice to hear feedback from a former Porsche owner.

R3

Quick Reply: Porsche Carrera GT video...