Poor Braking Performance Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 03:54 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Poor Braking Performance Question

I have a 2001 CLS /w 180k+ miles. I just did my spring tune up with also included complete shock/strut replacement, guess one of my Koni's blew a seal over winter..oops. Have to say I love the Eibach Pro Kit, ride is really close to stock but it looks better and handles TONS better ahhh the joys of summer tires.

Any who.... the question I have is on my braking, I feel it sucks personally. I have had the warped routers, replaced by the dealer early on and then I've replaced those routers with the cheap parts store ones with the replacement warranty and have tried different pads throughout the years of owning. Right now I feel that I've lost alot of the original feel of the brakes and they don't feel like they are "biting" anymore. So while having everything apart I did a brake fluid flush and replacement with Honda fluid. They seem a little better now but still don't feel great. I was wondering if I should look at doing a caliper rebuild (or legend/nsx replacement) or as another thread mentioned replacing the master cylinder.

Ideas, things I can test/check?
Old 05-17-2011, 04:26 PM
'Cooter

a handful of options...big brake kits and budget a-la-carte options are available

i went with a-la-carte...rotors: DBA (Disc Brakes Australia) cd & slotted fronts, Rotora slotted rears...pads: Axxis Ultimate front & rear...Goodridge stainless brake lines

many people have gone with big brake kits that look and perform awesome...Brembo and Rotora are a couple examples
Old 05-17-2011, 04:28 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Replace the soft brake lines. New rubber is good the braided steel ones are best if you can find/afford them. I think the Braided Steel ones go for $80ish. A high performance pad will make a good difference too, but it seems you may have already tried that.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 208 Likes on 187 Posts
Legend calipers would be an inexpensive upgrade. But before you go out buying hardware, I would go do a bed in of the pads. Getting new material on the rotors will help with the bite and stopping distance a lot and its free.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:17 PM
2nd Gear

Heh, I guess I should mention the things that I HAVE done shouldn't I. Slow day and now coffee makes the brain go dumb.

- SS Brake Lines (Check, installed in '01/02 shortly after getting the car, the immediate feel of the brakes after doing this is what I'm looking to get back).
- Brake Pads (Hawk HPS street/sport pads, front only at this time)
- Front Rotors (Power Slot Power Alloy Cryo-Treated Rotor)

I thought I did a proper bedding of the brakes but after reading some more about it, I am going to go back and do it again (8-10 times from 60mph to 10mph and immediate accelerate afterwards, no complete stop, etc.).
Old 05-17-2011, 05:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Yup, thats the way I do it. I go to somewhere where there's little traffic and no lights then have at it. By the 6th time or so, the brakes fade from the heat. If you get out of the car and take a look, the rotors will turn have turned a slight blue and you can see/smell smoke.
Old 05-20-2011, 07:31 PM
Ultra Negro

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
personally I would stay away from hawk pads, from my actual track ans street experience, they suck, they honestly feel like stock pads, if you are into serious weekend warrior high speed autocross like me and my friend are, get you some carbotech pads and some cheap chinese rotors.

also if you can find some nsx calipers for cheap i would recommend those over the legend calipers just because it is a direct swap with no swapping of the caliper for the bleeder valve.
Old 05-27-2011, 05:23 PM
Maj Incident ResponseTeam

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by OperationDarkie
personally I would stay away from hawk pads, from my actual track ans street experience, they suck, they honestly feel like stock pads, if you are into serious weekend warrior high speed autocross like me and my friend are, get you some carbotech pads and some cheap chinese rotors.

also if you can find some nsx calipers for cheap i would recommend those over the legend calipers just because it is a direct swap with no swapping of the caliper for the bleeder valve.

The NSX setup is direct fit for the CL? Nice! try looking into the Raybestos brand brakes (www.raybestos.com), they make stuff for cop cars and have products that fit on 01cl. i had them on other projects and have been happy with the results, good stoping power and they didnt fade as fast at the track. GL
Old 05-27-2011, 08:53 PM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 2K1_CLS
I have a 2001 CLS /w 180k+ miles. I just did my spring tune up with also included complete shock/strut replacement, guess one of my Koni's blew a seal over winter..oops. Have to say I love the Eibach Pro Kit, ride is really close to stock but it looks better and handles TONS better ahhh the joys of summer tires.

Any who.... the question I have is on my braking, I feel it sucks personally. I have had the warped routers, replaced by the dealer early on and then I've replaced those routers with the cheap parts store ones with the replacement warranty and have tried different pads throughout the years of owning. Right now I feel that I've lost alot of the original feel of the brakes and they don't feel like they are "biting" anymore. So while having everything apart I did a brake fluid flush and replacement with Honda fluid. They seem a little better now but still don't feel great. I was wondering if I should look at doing a caliper rebuild (or legend/nsx replacement) or as another thread mentioned replacing the master cylinder.

Ideas, things I can test/check?
I am in the same boat as you.... over all the years I am looking for same feel as I did when I drove off the lot with the car in 03. The only two items I have left are the caliper rebuild and master cylinder... I am wondering which it is and which is easier. I've done everything you've done as well in an effort to try to get the bite it used to have.

Let me know how it turns out.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:00 PM
Drifting

There must be a way to get that feel again without going to the legend calipers or bbks I assume. Could it be something with adjusting the brake pedal? Does it go out of spec over the years?
Old 05-30-2011, 05:52 PM
Suzuka Master

You guys try doing a bed in?
Eventually parts wear out and have to be replaced to get the same feel again. A lot of these brake parts have rubber in them and they only last so long.
Old 05-30-2011, 11:52 PM
Drifting

I did and from his responses, it appears he did as well..

That is what I am trying to figure out as is 2K1_CLS, what is that part?
Old 05-31-2011, 07:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Probably master cylinder. Also make sure your slide pins are properly lubed.