Pohanka Acura is Trying to Screw ME!! (This is a long post)

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2003, 11:05 PM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
Pohanka Acura is Trying to Screw ME!! (This is a long post)

Okay, here's the story...

I am 20 years old and bought my first car on May 17th from Pohanka Acura. A used 2002 CL-S. Pohanka is in Virginia, I live in Maryland but Pohanka isn't that far away and they had a good deal on the car (couldn't find anything better). So since I live in Maryland, obviously the car is registered in Maryland.

Well it was coming close to June 16th (my temp tags expired) and I had not recieved my permanent tags yet from the dealer. So I called up Pohanka and asked what was up. They told me sometimes Maryland takes a little longer, so they would send me out a new set of temp tags so I could still drive while I waited.

Well this Tuesday I still had not heard anything about my new tags. So I called Pohanka again and asked what was the deal? They said they would look into it. The next day I get a call saying they have not recieved my Maryland inspection certificate, and since I live outside of Virginia, I am responsible for getting this done on my own, and bringing it back to the dealership.

If I would have know about that at the time I bought my car I would have gotten the inspection done the next day and there would be no problem, if I would have known about the inspection back in June when my 1st set of temp tags expired, still wouldn't be as big of a problem, but I'm finding this out 2 months after my purchase. I realize it is somewhat my fault for not getting the inspection done...but this is my first time buying a car, I don't know all the details about it.

So I take the car in for inspection yesterday. I get a call back about 2 hours later from the gas station saying the car has FAILED the Maryland State Inspection because it needs new left side tires. The front left tire is worn down around the outer edge of the tread, and the rear left tire has a piece of glass in it (for some reason that makes it fail)

So I take my inspection paper work to the dealer and tell the sales manager about the problem. He says they do not guarantee that the car will pass out-of-state inspections. But he is willing to "make me a deal to help me out" He will give me $200 towards getting new tires. Also he will sell me the original equipment Michelin's at "dealer cost" or $181 a piece, plus $44 for installation. He said I can also shop around and bring him a reciept for my new tires and he will give me $200

Now here is my first issue...shouldn't the dealer have to cover all the expense to make the car pass inspection? I mean if the car won't pass a Maryland Inspection, can he sell a car to a Maryland resident? That doesn't make sense.

And his so called "deal" of selling the tires to me "at cost" for $181 a piece...yeah tirerack.com sells the Michelins for $176 a piece. I find it hard to believe that tirerack.com would sell them for less than "cost" I mean no one gives away free tires.

Also the sales manager said he couldn't give me another set of temp tags (mine expired today the 19th) because I already had 2 sets. So I said, "what I can't drive my car then? How do I get tires?" "What do I drive until my new tags get in from Maryland?" So then I told him I'm gonna need another set of temp tags, or I'm gonna need a loaner car until I recieve my new tags. After that I had a new set of tags in about 2 minutes.

Am I getting screwed? Ripped off? What's the deal?
Old 07-19-2003, 11:56 PM
TQ > MPG

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
It doesn't sound like you are getting screwed. You probably should have said something about the tires before you bought it, or just made the dealership get it inspected before you bought it. Just bite the bullet, get a whole new set of better tires than the piles of crap Michelins, and be done with it. I think them offering $200 for tires is reasonable, seeign as how they really don't have to give you anything that isn't covered under warranty.
Old 07-20-2003, 12:00 AM
Team Owner

Yeah actually I just said f' it and bought tires from tirerack.com about 30 mins ago. I got the Continental Contiextremecontacts. I bought a whole set instead of just 2 like the dealer wanted me to do. Makes no sense to have 2 brand new tires and 2 tires with 38k miles on them. I got the Continentals for $378 shipped. Probably another $80 to get them put on. So $460 total minus $200 from the dealer gives me new tires for $260. Not too bad actually. After I've calmed down about this never ending hassel of getting my tags, I'm seeing the brighter side of things.
Old 07-20-2003, 07:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pohanka is an EXTREMELY CROOKED dealership.

Avoid at all costs. HOWEVER, if you do want them to go out of their way for you, I've found that being a total asshole is the only way to put a fire under their asses.

SECONDLY,

YOU ARE AT FAULT. WHO BUYS A CAR without checking the tires first?
Stupidity at its finest, kid. I say you deserve it. I hate to say it, but you really do.
And don't ever take your car back there. They are also at fault for not mentioning at least something about the tires when you bought it. The fact that the 2 on the left are worn so bad also leaves me to believe that the car is pulling to the left, or something else has happened to it for it to be worn so bad just on the left side.

Check into it thru carfax. Good luck, and take my advice:

STAY AWAY FROM POHANKA ACURA....They don't prefer lube.
Old 07-20-2003, 10:37 AM
Race Director

He doesn't deserve to be screwed but he is probably at fault. Buying a used car out of state for the first time without any help is a tricky proposition. I bought these from the tirerack and they are great!
Old 07-20-2003, 10:46 AM

They are good tires, however, Ken, after awhile they severely harden up. In other words, the traction in the wet is not nearly what it was before.

I propose the Toyo's. Contrary to what many say, I've gotten 20K miles out of mine, as summer tires, of course. They are a bit softer compound, however, you won't notice a difference in wet traction after say, a year or so down the road. (no pun intended).
Old 07-20-2003, 11:00 AM
Liquid Ice

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally posted by TypeSKid
Pohanka is an EXTREMELY CROOKED dealership.

Avoid at all costs. HOWEVER, if you do want them to go out of their way for you, I've found that being a total asshole is the only way to put a fire under their asses.

SECONDLY,

YOU ARE AT FAULT. WHO BUYS A CAR without checking the tires first?
Stupidity at its finest, kid. I say you deserve it. I hate to say it, but you really do.
And don't ever take your car back there. They are also at fault for not mentioning at least something about the tires when you bought it. The fact that the 2 on the left are worn so bad also leaves me to believe that the car is pulling to the left, or something else has happened to it for it to be worn so bad just on the left side.

Check into it thru carfax. Good luck, and take my advice:

STAY AWAY FROM POHANKA ACURA....They don't prefer lube.
I bought my car from Pohanka and I've used their service department before and I haven't had any problems. Dunno what happened that you didn't like them, but they gave me a decent price for a dealership to install aftermarket parts, and the price I got on my new TL-S was pretty damn good. Got my friend an RSX-S under invoice too.

I'm not familiar with buying a used car out of state so I can't say anything about tags ... If you're ever unsure about something I would always recommend you do the research first, and make sure you ask tons of questions!
Old 07-20-2003, 11:53 AM
Team Owner

The thing is that the tires are hardly worn, and having a piece of glass in the rear tire is a road hazard...that could have happened at anytime within the past few weeks. When I bought the car it had passed VA state inspection a week prior. The only part of the tire that is worn is the outer edge of the tread. The rear left tire is fine as far as wear goes. The car doesn't pull to either side.

I already ordered the Continentals. They should be here Tuesday I'm thinking. I better get my $200 out of this. If they try and say, "well you bought 4 tires, not just 2"..."or you didn't buy the Michelin's" I will be pissed. I don't think I will have a problem with that. I mean its my car I can use whatever kind of tire I want, and buying 2 tires is just stupid.
Old 07-20-2003, 02:10 PM
But I just got here

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally posted by mrsteve
I better get my $200 out of this. If they try and say, "well you bought 4 tires, not just 2"..."or you didn't buy the Michelin's" I will be pissed.

Why didn't you ask about this before buying the tires?
Old 07-20-2003, 02:43 PM
Team Owner

Originally posted by Nitin
Why didn't you ask about this before buying the tires?
Because he said I could shop around. Its my car I can put whatever kind of tires I want to on it. It makes no sense to put 2 tires on it either...2 brand new tires, next to two tires with 38k miles??? That can't be good. It will pass inspection after I get the tires and I will leave them alone so they will be happy and so will I.
Old 07-20-2003, 03:20 PM
The hair says it all

ok you didn't deserve to be screwed, but it is kind of your fault.

its good that you dealt w/ it nicely..speaking of shitty dealerships, stay away from New Country Audi/VW
Old 07-20-2003, 03:36 PM
TQ > MPG

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
If the outside edge of the right side front tire is worn down much more than the others, I hate to say it but it was probably driven hard. Sounds like whoever drove it liked to take corners fast and under power. :o
Old 07-20-2003, 03:44 PM
Racer

I find what a friend once told me (about the car buying process) to be quite true: Buying a car is like being raped!

That being said, I wanted to let you know that I feel your pain over the treatment by Pohanka. I had issues with them over financing and registration of tags (took them over 3 months to send the paperwork to Virginia saying that my plates were no longer registered to the car I traded in on the CL and I had to raise hell after I got pulled over and harrassed by a cop about that). I also had problems with Pohanka's service department.

All in all, I love the car but I hate the dealership and I'll never buy a car from them or take my CL to them for service again. I've been taking my car to Karen Radley for service and have been VERY happy with that decision!

Best of luck resolving your issues.
Old 07-20-2003, 05:14 PM
Team Owner

Originally posted by jtkz13
If the outside edge of the right side front tire is worn down much more than the others, I hate to say it but it was probably driven hard. Sounds like whoever drove it liked to take corners fast and under power. :o
Its the left side front tire. It was a lease trade-in...so there is a good chance it was driven hard...but that's why I have an extended warranty, just to be safe.

I paid just over $22,000 for it. 2002 with 32k miles