Please no man for the CLS, I need this instead...

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2001, 12:54 AM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Please no man for the CLS, I need this instead...

Really, I do not care about a manual. Get me a 6-sp SS with 0.1 shifting time and I would be much happier guy.
I think that that man is not for this class of cars. ITR, Civics, Yep CLS, please, no.
Just isnert a our stealth 4th gear, 4->5th, 5->6th.

My wish list is:
1) 6-sp SS
2) Shifting time, up shift or down shift 0.1 sec
3) Beef up tha torque converter and whatever else needed to support mild FI.

That's it guys, F1 style not civics....

------------------
Black, Ebony, 3.2 CL Type-S, NAV.
- 3M clear bra, by Stonguard (full front bumper, and side mirrors, and partial hood)
- Acura Spoiler, Moonroof visor
- Splash guards, Winter mats, Trunk liner
- Valentine V1 Radar Locator
- HELMS Service Manual
- PIAA 19169 road lamps
- 03/19/01: Injen Polished CAI
- 04/10/01: 235/40/18 NITTO 555 on 18x7.5 Koing Imagine in Silver with wheels locks
Old 04-10-2001, 02:06 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Nashua_Night_Hawk:
My wish list is:
1) 6-sp SS
2) Shifting time, up shift or down shift 0.1 sec
3) Beef up tha torque converter and whatever else needed to support mild FI.
</font>
Don't forget the most important thing to add to that wish list. Actually letting us dumb drivers shift from 1st to 2nd.

I do use the SS but not as much as the Auto-Stick in my last car. I felt like I had more control with the Auto-Stick when compared to the SS.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S - San Marino Red / Parchment - #26519
non-nav - spoiler - wheel locks - splash guards - PIAA 19169s - Pics of my car
Old 04-10-2001, 03:33 AM
Cruisin'

Why not a manual?
Old 04-10-2001, 03:44 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
im sure quaife would grant your wish for about 15 grand

------------------
'01 3.2 CL typeS
satin silver metalic
Llumar platinum plus
tint 20% all around

-----------------
'98 ACCORD V-6 sedan
16" coupe wheels
215/55/16 nitto's
20% smoke titanium
black chrome kit
Old 04-10-2001, 04:08 AM
Banned

My biggest problem with the current setup is the torque converter. I just don't like not having a solid connection between the engine and transmission. My ideal would be a 6 speed manual with an automatic mode. Mechanically, it would be a true manual (clutch and all) but with the option for automatic shifting. Shift into neutral and push a button to let the computer take over. Maybe in 20 years. Next to that, I like Nashua's idea. Quick gear changes and FULL CONTROL would make me happier. None of this automatic transmission with driver input considered but not always obeyed. I can respect the overrev protection, but some of the SS's rules suck.

------------------
2001 Silver 3.2CL Type S with Spoiler and Navi
Old 04-10-2001, 05:50 AM
Moderator Alumnus

i agree somewhat. i see my CLS as a luxo-cruiser, so i wouldn't exactly be keen with having a manny in it. 6 speed auto tranny would be nice, but unlikely. realistically, a faster r/t and allowing us to shift from 1st to 2nd, and vice versa would be supreme. i like the SS in the CLS, it fits the car. imagine an ITR with an SS tranny? it wouldn't fly, why... it's a sports car. i don't consider a car with leather, navi, and a 6 CD in dash changer a race car. yeah a manny tranny would be nice... but we can't all have everything.

------------------
YuppieCL
'90 Accord LX
'01 3.2CL Type S
#6487, Satin Silver, Navi, Spoiler, Comptech springs, Xephyr CAI, 35% Llumar window tint
PhotoPoint Pics!
AIM: Yuppie99
Old 04-10-2001, 08:23 AM
Team Owner

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by mdaniel:
My ideal would be a 6 speed manual with an automatic mode. Mechanically, it would be a true manual (clutch and all) but with the option for automatic shifting. Shift into neutral and push a button to let the computer take over.</font>
That would be my DREAM TRANNY !!!!!!

Shawn S

------------------
Speed limits are for CARS and DRIVERS whose limits are easily exceeded !!!!!

2001 CL Type S - NAV - San Marino RED / Parchment - Spoiler - 35% Tint - Roof Visor - PIAA Lamps
GOLD Emblems & Grill - V1 w/remote - KICKER AMP w/(2) 10" Alumapro Subs - Xephyr CAI - Shine by ZAINO
For Photos see: PAGE 1 PAGE 2 PAGE 3 PAGE 4 V1 & SUBS
Old 04-10-2001, 08:37 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by mdaniel:
My biggest problem with the current setup is the torque converter. I just don't like not having a solid connection between the engine and transmission. My ideal would be a 6 speed manual with an automatic mode. Mechanically, it would be a true manual (clutch and all) but with the option for automatic shifting. Shift into neutral and push a button to let the computer take over. Maybe in 20 years. Next to that, I like Nashua's idea. Quick gear changes and FULL CONTROL would make me happier. None of this automatic transmission with driver input considered but not always obeyed. I can respect the overrev protection, but some of the SS's rules suck.

</font>
Your are talking about a sequential -- coming soon to a car near you... Ferraris' already got 'em.

If you want max power -- they go to a CV (Constant Velocity) transmission, not as much fun as a "sequential", but you get the equivalent of 1000 gears. Put in a smart enough computer and you could put in magnetic detents and make it a 8 speed it you like, with upshifts between different gears, etc. This would allow our car to get down a 1/4 mile in about a 13.7. The engine would always be making max power down the track.

I'm not kidding.

I'd like the sequential to get that nice full on engine braking and millisecond shifting with rev-matching.

That stupid delay in the SS is not a problem when tooling around, but when I am realy trying to stay on top of the cornering, I want that shift to go up RIGHT now, not in a while. It is easy to get into a time warp and double punch the shifter forward when it is a bit slow on the upshift.

BTW -- I want a race/sport/comfort/auto setting in the transmission

------------------
Silver 2001 CL-S with NAVI
  • Mud guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Toyo T1S 235/45ZR17-93W* Proxies on 17x8" SSR Competition wheels (48lbs less than stock)
  • Kevlar/SS Brake lines ordered
  • Comptech headers & sways ordered
  • Silver AEM CAI ready
  • 6 coats of Zaino magic
Old 04-10-2001, 01:41 PM
Cruisin'

I think Subaru once brought a CV tranny to market in their Justy. Interesting. Car didn't fare so well; I think it was a gas-miser in a time of cheap fuel. That's obvious now w/the glut of SUVs. The fact that it drove so differently probably scared ppl away more than anything else. Imagine if your car went to peak power, then varied the transmission ratios to achieve acceleration!

http://209.58.177.220/articles/apr95/TrendsCVT.html
Old 04-10-2001, 04:40 PM
The Acura Granddaddy

Honda already but a CVT (Continously Variable Transmission) in the Civic a few years back, they are still working on the design to make it more efficient and able to handle more power. It's very neat technology that uses serpentine metal belts that change thier radius to change the drive ratio. Its the best of all worlds because you get EVERY gear ratio. This allows the engine to stay in its economy sweet spot....or its power sweet spot.