Please...need some advice!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2002, 02:56 AM
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Please...need some advice!!!

OK, here is the story:

about 4 weeks ago, I started noticing a lag as my car started to shift from second to third, and sometimes from third to fourth. Being an avid reader for a long time now, I thought that it was time for a new tranny. And sure enough, when I took it in on tuesday the 5th to the shop, not only was the tranny to be replaced, but the moonroof rattles "fixed", and roters resurfaced and pads replaced (suprising without even me asking).

So everything was going fine, and on thursday of the same week, the service guy calls and says the replacement tranny didnt work, and that a new one was being ordered. Fine, so I waited 4 more days (no delivery over the weekend), and on monday I was told that the second replacement tranny had a crack, and so a new one was ordered (actually that was pretty cool of him, instead of sticking me a potentially broken one). Fine, so 2 days later, I get a third call, saying that after the replacement tranny was installed, the skipping STILL would not go away. So, by now TWO (2) brand new trannies had been installed in my car, and failed to work. The guy said he was going to call American Honda, and get an engineer to come by. The next day I was told that its probably the computer, and so expected date of repairs is friday (today). I call this afternoon, and the guy says that there is still a problem, so they are going to try a transmission from a 2003 cls.

So, the tally so far is 2 transmission and one computer (ECU i assume???). My question is, do you guys know what the fuck is going on?? I certainly dont. I fail to see how it could be the tranny, given that both of the new trannies failed. Can any of you guys make a guess as to why its doing this?

I really love this car (and driving arround a piece-of-shit la sabre for 2 weeks makes me realize EXACTLY how much i love it), and so I am greatly distressed by this situtation. What can i reccomend the tech to do? I mean, im sure they have spend over $10k on parts alone trying to fix my car. At the same time though, I am pissed off...I dont know about some of you guys, but $30,000 is A LOT of money, and for that much, I kinda would have liked a more solid engine...I know I know it only happens to like 2% of all the cars, but it sux to be a part of the 2%...
Old 11-16-2002, 03:09 AM
Safety Car

BTW the service at Tustin Acura here in Orange County is just fuking excellent. The service guy for my car is Brad. Really cool, and has kept me well informed throughout the process.

Plus, Tustin Acura is an authorized distributor for Comptec Parts, and will install them too! So if you need some warranty work done, and you have a bunch of mods, then go here
Old 11-16-2002, 01:07 PM
Safety Car

bump
Old 11-16-2002, 01:28 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if it stays for more like a month and can be fixed... ask to get a new Acura...
Old 11-16-2002, 02:44 PM
Safety Car

yea i guess...but what are the implications of lemoning a car? I read on a page that you cant get the full value of the car, but just what the car is worth based on the milage.

Also, I am leasing the car, and so if I lemon on, do I just get my down payment back or what?
Old 11-16-2002, 09:25 PM
Subie Dubie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm sure you've had a loaner, so that makes it better, but you may ask Acura to reimburse you for your payments while your car has been unavailable to you. They may consider it if you handle it right considering what you've gone through. At least they are doing the right things and you should be happy about that.
Old 11-16-2002, 11:06 PM
Safety Car

Im not saying that they havent handled the situtation well--in fact, after reading all the posts people have put up saying how they were mistreated, I was totally relieved. BUT, I cant be happy with whats happening with my car.

If it does get fixed (and i do hope it does), it will be like getting a new car, with all the new parts they swaped in
Old 11-17-2002, 12:14 AM
Not a Registered User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i thought if your car was considered a lemon they refund all the money you gave for the car...maybe it's different in jersey?...maybe i was mis-informed...? (seems too good of a deal to be true...)
Old 11-17-2002, 03:08 AM
Safety Car

well, i think (at least here in cali) that you have the choice of a money refund, or trading the car in for a new one. I dont know how much actual money you would get back... Anyone actually know?