Planning on buying a used '01 CL -Type S Need some advice/help

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 12:19 AM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Planning on buying a used '01 CL -Type S Need some advice/help

Hi, any pointers on what to look for when buying this used CL? I'm particularly worried about the transmission, these cars are known to crap out when it comes to it. It has about 154K on it and due to that, the transmission more than likely has been changed. However, when I go to inspect it, is there a particular VIN# I can look for so I can verify if the transmission has been replaced? I read, here on the forums, that transmissions after FEB. '05 are a bit better and tend to last longer and a person can tell if its a new trans and the manufacturing date from the VIN# written on the transmission. Any advice/help would be great. Sorry for posting this in the TL section, I though I would since more people have TLs rather than CLs and the transmissions seem the same, right? Thanks.
Old 09-28-2009, 12:43 AM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Given the car's VIN number, Acura can tell you if and when the transmission has been replaced.

Read the "Tranny Failure Thread" for additional perspective:

https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tl-problems-fixes-117/tranny-failure-thread-566833/
Old 09-28-2009, 10:01 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would get the 6 speed intsead of the automatic, esp on a CL - it's a million times more reliable transmission.... so unless the car is $3k less than a 6spd version I'd look elsewhere... but whatever floats your boat.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:31 AM
I Wanna Beer

Received 108 Likes on 88 Posts
I'd keep searching and find a '03 with a manual transmission. Getting an automatic is just asking for a headache with the CL. Save your money for a '03 6-speed manual or look into a different car. It's not worth gambling on the transmission. Just because the automatic transmission has been replaced doesn't mean it's gonna last. There are members here that have had the transmissions last less then 10k miles and some have had 3+ transmission replacements.
Old 09-28-2009, 12:35 PM
B A N N E D

Location: The grande.. Riverdale NJ.. Hopefully moving to skyline village in Lincoln park NJ..yes dirty jersey
There is no way u will be able to find out how many time the tranny was repaced unless u cal the exact DLR that it was replaced at. I had a tranny replaced after 05 and it only lasted 69K miles and i replaced the fluid evey 20-25K. When I called acura corp to try and get some help on paying for my trans they did not know how many times it was replaced they tried tellingh me this was gonna be the 2nd trans when it was actully my 4th trans!
Old 09-28-2009, 03:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Don't do it! Buy something else, or a 6 speed. YOU WILL REGRET IT! I did big time TWICE.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:47 PM
Safety Car

Received 214 Likes on 143 Posts
But then again quite a few people on this forum have been on the original tranny for well over 100k miles. I'd honestly have to disagree with the "if you can't find a manual then get a different car" statement.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:28 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I just bought a 6-spd CL for the very reason everyone mentioned here. I know several members here who take excellent care of their vehicle and are on there 2nd, if not 3rd AT tranny.

I LOVE the 6spd... Manual Tranny FTW. That being said, and coming over from an 02 Accord with an automatic, if you absolutely are hell bent on getting an Automatic, I'll share with you what I found out about the Honda/Acura automatics during these "troublesome" years....

1.) Never FLUSH the transmission, only drain and fill, and only through a Honda/Acura shop... at least only use the specified Acura fluid.

2.) Part of the problem with a "flush" is that the transmission filters are on the inside of the transmission rather than in the pan. Therefore, a flush actually pushes crud that has no where else to go through the filter and clogs it, asking for an overheating issue that melts/damages other components.

3.) On the overheating issue, if I was keeping my Accord, I would be purchasing an auxiliary transmission cooler and have my honda tech friend install it to do anything I can to keep the tranny cool!

That all being said, GOOD LUCK! And, now for my Disclaimer, LOL... I am going off advice from what I have learned from people I believed to be reputable. I am not a tech, nor have I ever seen inside of the trannys of either car. Also, if you get a CL that is still under some sort of extended warranty period, DO NOT go installing an auxiliary transmission cooler or anything else until you check with Acura to make sure something you do won't void that warranty coverage.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:44 AM
I Wanna Beer

Originally Posted by Rapture
But then again quite a few people on this forum have been on the original tranny for well over 100k miles. I'd honestly have to disagree with the "if you can't find a manual then get a different car" statement.
Why take that chance? Seems the guys that have 100k miles on a transmission are few and far between. I guess it's cool if you're willing to gamble on your transportation and time and money to repair the issue. I just don't see it being a smart choice to take a chance like that.
Old 09-29-2009, 01:21 PM
B A N N E D

Location: The grande.. Riverdale NJ.. Hopefully moving to skyline village in Lincoln park NJ..yes dirty jersey
The transmission DOES have a external filter..

Part #9 in the diagram..

Here is a pic of it..

I had a tranny put in 2006 and had DLR drain 3 and fill 3 ATF every 15-20K miles and the tranny still went after 69K miles with no signs..
And when you say there are many people with over 100K and still w/original trans , How do they know its the original trans if they bought the car used..
I think i aqm one of the only people that bought the car new and still have it everyone else dumped it after the tranny went while they where still in warrenty.. If u bought it used you have no clue how many times the tranny was replaced!
Old 09-29-2009, 08:33 PM
Safety Car

Received 214 Likes on 143 Posts
Originally Posted by TheWeez
Why take that chance? Seems the guys that have 100k miles on a transmission are few and far between. I guess it's cool if you're willing to gamble on your transportation and time and money to repair the issue. I just don't see it being a smart choice to take a chance like that.
I dunno, why take a chance with any car, then? From what I've seen, most cars out there do have their fair share of issues. Not everyone is going to have the same luck StonedCL has had with trans issues (although I'm sure he's not the only one) Plus from what I've read the newer transmissions tend to be much more reliable. It's not like getting a 5-speed is pretty much a death wish.
Old 09-30-2009, 08:00 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by StonedCL

Here is a pic of it..

Yes I stand corrected! Guess they do make acura's a little better than hondas!
Old 09-30-2009, 10:08 AM
I Wanna Beer

Originally Posted by Rapture
I dunno, why take a chance with any car, then? From what I've seen, most cars out there do have their fair share of issues. Not everyone is going to have the same luck StonedCL has had with trans issues (although I'm sure he's not the only one) Plus from what I've read the newer transmissions tend to be much more reliable. It's not like getting a 5-speed is pretty much a death wish.
Sure every car has it's issues but why pick the one that has a known very large issue. Why not go for a car that has smaller and less expensive to fix issues then a several thousand dollar transmission. Just seems like a really stupid move.

And no, the newer transmissions haven't been shown to be any more reliable then the older ones. They're still going out at about the same rate as the old ones.
Old 09-30-2009, 01:53 PM
B A N N E D

If you can find a NICE auto CL that you really like just make sure you can get a GREAT aftermarket warrenty even if it cost $1-$2K cuz if you plan on keeping it for 60-100K MORE miles the tranny WILL go.. Even if you can pick up a powertrain warrenty cuz thats all you need everything else on the car is SOLID ezcept one of the most important parts of it! I am sure you can get a 4/50K powertrain for about $1000 and then you have peice of mind!
Old 09-30-2009, 01:54 PM
B A N N E D

BTW if u can get a longer powertrain warrenty go for it, The longer the better!
Old 09-30-2009, 02:04 PM
I Wanna Beer

Originally Posted by StonedCL
If you can find a NICE auto CL that you really like just make sure you can get a GREAT aftermarket warrenty even if it cost $1-$2K cuz if you plan on keeping it for 60-100K MORE miles the tranny WILL go.. Even if you can pick up a powertrain warrenty cuz thats all you need everything else on the car is SOLID ezcept one of the most important parts of it! I am sure you can get a 4/50K powertrain for about $1000 and then you have peice of mind!
You have to REALLY read the warranty though. Most of those warranties list the parts they cover. If it's not specifically listed, it's not covered. They won't say "transmission" they'll list individual components on the transmission. A lot of times the most important parts of the transmission aren't covered. I just went through a big deal with my girlfriend's SUV and the extended warranty on it. They covered the heater core and fan but not the plug on the fan controller resistor.
Old 09-30-2009, 04:30 PM
B A N N E D

I know Alot of the 3rd party warrenties are shady but there r some the are OK..
Just make sure it covers the whole transmission and torque converter!
Old 09-30-2009, 07:16 PM
Serenity Now

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have an 01' SSM CL-S I'm looking to sell that has 106000 miles with a few mods. I'm in TN so message me if you want some details.