Pictures of my Tint and Notes/Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2001, 11:32 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 121 Likes on 86 Posts
Pictures of my Tint and Notes/Questions

Aloha. I got my car tinted (65% transmitted all around)

Pics at: http://wizardsworks.org/chod/acura/tint/

It looks very dark and I expect to be putting my PBA stickers to good use soon.

Notes/Questions:
1) I TOTALLY forgot about checking on the third brake light and dots. And the guy didn't tint over either.
2) For those of you who didn't have tinted dots, did your guy curve around the dots? (see pics for explanation)
3) Did your guy cut around the defroster lines or tint over them?
4) I went to professional Window Tinting and they charged me $135 with lifetime warranty. I have a feeling if I did ask them to do the dots they wouldn't have honored the lifetime warranty.

I had a 9 am appointment, and got there late.
So I sorta scheduled again and the lady said that my car probably wouldn't be done till 1-2 pm. However I wasn't exactly going anywhere without my car so I walked around a bit, then came back and read their detailing magazines. To my surprise, at 11:30 a guy comes in and says they're done - since I was waiting they went ahead and did my car FIRST. Woo hoo! So I tipped them, and the guy was a bit startled by that.

Then I was driving away and I looked out the rearview window

[ 08-14-2001: Message edited by: ChodTheWacko ]
Old 08-15-2001, 12:27 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They didn't cut around your defroster lines; the tint just doesn't adhere well there since the wires are raised a bit. Take your finger and press along the lines and you'll see that the tint will pull up a little closer to the glass.

Personally, I wouldn't accept the top of the rear being non-tinted but if it doesn't bother you, then it's okay. Mine is tinted in that area and some parts don’t adhere the best because of the dots but it looks cleaner with that part being tinted. What my guy said they sometimes do is to sand those dots down lightly with very fine sandpaper, as long as the defroster wires aren’t in the way. I’ve heard of others just painting over that top band also.

Since you don't have the spoiler with 3rd brake light, it's probably best to leave your brake light area untinted since I don’t think legally they can cover it (at least that’s what I’ve heard). I would go back to them and get a small piece of that same tint so if you ever get the urge to tint it later on your own, it will match well. That's what I did to mine (since I do have the spoiler) when I had the rear deck removed and it matched up very nicely. Here's what it looks like after I was done with it:
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?...nce=0&res=high

Edit: well, my PhotoPoint acct is locked so the link isn't working apparently...

[ 08-14-2001: Message edited by: tinman ]
Old 08-15-2001, 05:12 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i just got my tint, they removed the seats and got behind the third brake light. they were also very good and did the whole back window in one piece. i was also surprised they took my door panels off to get below the window line.

the guy said that after awhile there will be little white dots along the edges (instead of the black dots, before tint)