Personal Review: 6 days with a 2004 Toyota Camry

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2004, 04:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gto2050, jeez, my bad, nothing personal here....
Okay, Ferrari's have soul for a machine. They also cost $200,000. They BETTER have soul. Or let me feel like they do.
Old 05-21-2004, 04:55 PM

I had a camry v6 before my cl and I do agree totally with this review. The camry felt like a much solid car than the cl.
Old 05-21-2004, 07:14 PM
Someday pigs WILL fly!

Ha ha it's all good.
Old 05-21-2004, 08:17 PM
Pit Stop?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good review Gav, they should pay you to do this stuff

Old 05-21-2004, 08:58 PM
GEEZER

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,418 Posts
Dash looks like a truck...even with the fake wood.

Nice write up Gav!
Old 05-21-2004, 09:48 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by Paul
I had a camry v6 before my cl and I do agree totally with this review. The camry felt like a much solid car than the cl.
Now that's a stretch there. Also, I never wrote such a thing or elluded to that. I dont think the Camry is more solid than a 2nd generation CL at all. I compared solidity with Detroit's offerings of this category.
Old 05-21-2004, 09:49 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by Minch00
Good review Gav, they should pay you to do this stuff

Thanks.

If you want an address to send a donation, let me know. :P
Old 05-21-2004, 09:49 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by 1killercls
Dash looks like a truck...even with the fake wood.

Nice write up Gav!
Thanks.
Old 05-21-2004, 10:07 PM
Safety Car

Originally posted by gavriil
Relax boys. I think we all know what one means when they refer to "soul" in a car. Yes, Ferraris have it, M cars have it, even a Miata has it. It does not have to be expensive to have soul. But as I said, most people dont care about soul in a car. Reliability and idiot-proof driving characteristics are way more important to them. Safety and price are way more important also.

The Camry belongs to that market. It's made for that market. The market that does not care about soul. And it does a great job at that. Possibly better than everyone else in the category and the sales figures back that argument. And for that, it deserves a round of applause and respect from all of us.

I always said, a true auto enthusiast, finds "greatness" (something to like) in every car, in every category. In my opinion, belonging to schools of thought, take brand sides, etc. is not apporpriate from a true car enthusiast.

I love all cars for different reasons, but if you ask me what I believe in, my answer would be: "value". When Acura comes out with this new TL with all these features and benefits packed into it and prices it at $33K, I just cannot NOT say "my hat's off to them" and recognize the great job they did. Same with the Camry, the Accord, the G35/C, etc., etc.
I don't see that at all, the taurus used to be a sales leader in the segment and I had no love for that car other than the sho, just because toyota has a better reputation doesn't mean the camry deserves respect for sales #'s.

Things like the overdirve button where available in the 1989 maxima and locking doors when put in drive are in the 1996 windstar, very basic features let alone lexus range. The camry does not represent the same value as a tl imo in their respective price ranges.

I think its an abosolut bullshit excuse that a family sedan is exempt from a nice inside n out design for the sake of mass market production and if a car ever had a terrible inside design it was the camry, ergonomics or not.

The car is flawless, the best built car family car in the world.
Haha, you just can't help yourself. Like you see blood and can't help but take a bite. A lexus being built off this car doesn't mean shit other than the lexus is going to have cheap ass camry components, the nav screen comes to mind. This is exactly why bmws are built on their on platforms, luxury shares nothing with non luxury cars.
Old 05-22-2004, 12:24 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by heyitsme

I don't see that at all, the taurus used to be a sales leader in the segment and I had no love for that car other than the sho, just because toyota has a better reputation doesn't mean the camry deserves respect for sales #'s.
You make it sound like reputation is gained out of the kindness of someone's heart or something. Reputation you get because your product is better (in whatever way). Toyota went through blood, sweat and tears to get that reputation. It takes hard, consistent work and it takes for ever to turn (bad or good - see Hyundai).

So, we're again back to "if your car is the sales leader, it must be a great car for the category". Now, if the difference between the number one and number two is small, both are great. The first might have won due to rebates, incentives, etc. And that's probably the case with the Accord here, though I have not driven one ever.

Things like the overdirve button where available in the 1989 maxima and locking doors when put in drive are in the 1996 windstar, very basic features let alone lexus range.
About the OD button, I did not say I was surpirsed to see it in the Camry, I just stated how i love that feature and it was welcome to see it in a base Camry. Short of surpirsed, I guess.

The locking doors feature...OK. My 2001 RX300 does not have it! Bad for Lexus then. Why take away from the Camry?

The camry does not represent the same value as a tl imo in their respective price ranges.
Probably not. I agree with you. Though, did I say the opposite anywhere?

Though, how big of a value a vehicle is, is more relevant within its own category rather than outside of it. And hence my positive comments about the Camry.

I think its an abosolut bullshit excuse that a family sedan is exempt from a nice inside n out design for the sake of mass market production and if a car ever had a terrible inside design it was the camry, ergonomics or not.

Design is subjective up to a point. The Camry's design, I personally find great for the category. Who said that it shoudl be excused because it's a mass produced car?
Old 05-22-2004, 12:28 AM
Moderator Alumnus

A lexus being built off this car doesn't mean shit other than the lexus is going to have cheap ass camry components, the nav screen comes to mind. This is exactly why bmws are built on their on platforms, luxury shares nothing with non luxury cars.
I disagree with the comment about the ES using cheap Camry parts. So is the platform that the ES uses, "cheap-ass"? Cos that's the main thing shared. Many other things are shared I am sure, though many are not.

Does that make the ex-SLK a cheap ass car because 1/3rd of parts were used by a Chrysler?

Does that make our CL a cheap ass car beacuse the Accord uses parts? Same for so many cars...

Again, the Camry is a better car because Toyota knows that a Lexus will be based on it.
Old 05-22-2004, 12:33 AM
CL-
Three - Point - OH

Originally posted by pimpscls
its basically for the avg driver, reliable and solid for the money, but i would never get one myself
2nd that
Old 05-22-2004, 01:53 AM

Gac, heyitsme is cool but clearly I swear to Thor he posts drunk.
A cheap 14k Camry is better built than any 35k TL. Where is the value in having a car that has the build quality of a wet paper towel? I see none. The TL would be almost the perfect car, if they could actually build a solid one.
Old 05-22-2004, 03:24 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
you're on crack SICKLEX. typical.
Old 05-22-2004, 10:41 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
A cheap 14k Camry is better built than any 35k TL.
Are you saying that, or are you saying, HE said that?
Old 05-22-2004, 10:51 AM

Originally posted by mattg
you're on crack SICKLEX. typical.
End result who cares. I ain't buying a Camry (though I have a gussied up one now ) and never buying an Acura unless it's a NSX.

Sensative cunts.
Old 05-22-2004, 11:04 AM
Suzuka Master

i also got a 03 as a loaner for a few days

smooth ride
felt solid
nice interior

just hate 2 things about it

interior
the seats are not comfortable at all!!!!!

sidemarker
Old 05-22-2004, 11:11 AM
Suzuka Master

A cheap 14k Camry is better built than any 35k TL. Where is the value in having a car that has the build quality of a wet paper towel? I see none. The TL would be almost the perfect car, if they could actually build a solid one.
That is so not true. 2 of my good friends have 04 TL's and they are very solid. Much more solid than my 03 Accord or any Camry I have ever driven in. The 04 TL is a much more solid car than my CL ever was too. It may loosen up over time, but it's an outstanding car.
Old 05-22-2004, 03:37 PM

One day it will all make sense. Peace.
Old 05-22-2004, 04:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
Sensative cunts.
not really. you just sound like an ignorant, arrogant, jackass sometimes. that's all.
Old 05-22-2004, 08:42 PM
Safety Car

For a fanboy I really expect you to know more about Toyota than I do. The Camry Le starts at an msrp of 19.5k, the Accord Dx starts at an msrp of 16.3k, the value is clear.
Old 05-23-2004, 01:17 AM
Safety Car

The Camry belongs to that market. It's made for that market. The market that does not care about soul. And it does a great job at that. Possibly better than everyone else in the category and the sales figures back that argument. And for that, it deserves a round of applause and respect from all of us.
How can sales figures back something up when you're not taking into account fleet sales, you found this camry on a rental lot=fleet sales. Honda does very little fleet.

Does that make the ex-SLK a cheap ass car because 1/3rd of parts were used by a Chrysler?

Does that make our CL a cheap ass car beacuse the Accord uses parts? Same for so many cars...

Again, the Camry is a better car because Toyota knows that a Lexus will be based on it.
If the slk was based off a chylser yes that would make it cheaper, but the parts are taken from the more expensive car making the chrysler better.

Yes the cl is cheaper for using accord parts.

I don't agree that the camry is automatically a better car just because lexus has a version. Is the taurus automatically a better car because jag made an x-type using that platform, no. Is the 350z better because its on a similiar platform as the new m45, no. There was an article comparing the g35 platform to the new m45 platform( both same related platform) and there was a definate difference with the improvements in stiffness they added to the m, around 1400% increase.
Old 05-23-2004, 11:01 AM
Moderator Alumnus

How can sales figures back something up when you're not taking into account fleet sales, you found this camry on a rental lot=fleet sales. Honda does very little fleet.

True, but it's still sales. You say the Accord does little fleet sales like it does not want to be sold, or something. Fleet sale= sale for people to drive the car. Does that mean there is something wrong with the car? Maybe? Maybe it's the sales department.

A car's success includes the ability of the sales and marketing departments and overall effort, not just that of the engineering department of an auto maker.
Old 05-23-2004, 11:12 AM
Moderator Alumnus

If the slk was based off a chylser yes that would make it cheaper, but the parts are taken from the more expensive car making the chrysler better.
Chicken and the egg. You're assuming that when this (Toyota) platform was designed, it was designed for the Camry and the ES, RX, Highlander, etc. offerings were an afterthought. You cant possibly believe that right? Toyota is smarter than that, I am sure you'll agree.

So I will assume we agree that the platform was designed with all of these cars in mind. So some Lexus recipe went into the platform.

Now, granted, the SLK's platform was not designed with the Crossfire in mind when made (and that will change going forward for DCX).

My point does not change though. If Toyota had Lexus cars in mind when designing a platform, in addition to Toyota cars, then the Toyota cars benefit from that. And that is confirmed by me (to myself at least), every time I got into a Camry, etc.

Yes the cl is cheaper for using accord parts.
Possibly, though my point is the opposite. My point is that the ACCORD was benefited by the CL and TL sharing its platform.

I don't agree that the camry is automatically a better car just because lexus has a version. Is the taurus automatically a better car because jag made an x-type using that platform, no.
The X-Type shares the Ford Mondeo's platform. I have driven a Mondeo and it's lightyears better made and drives a ton better than any Taurus (and I have driven them all).

Is the 350z better because its on a similiar platform as the new m45, no.
We dont know anything about the new M45 except how it will look like.

But if you brought the example of the G35C, then the answer is absolutely yes. Nissan was developing that platform with both Nissan and Infiniti cars in mind, so how can it not be better as opposed to the possibility of the Nissan and Infiniti cars NOT sharing the same platforms?

There was an article comparing the g35 platform to the new m45 platform( both same related platform) and there was a definate difference with the improvements in stiffness they added to the m, around 1400% increase.
Of course there was. I read about that as well. The reason for that is because the M45 uses an evolved version of that platform. I expect that evolution to carry over to other Nissan and Infiniti vehicles.

But that's not my point exactly. As long as major parts of the luxo division of a given manufacturer are shared with the mama brand, then the mama brand benefits.
Old 05-30-2004, 11:43 PM
Safety Car

True, but it's still sales. You say the Accord does little fleet sales like it does not want to be sold, or something. Fleet sale= sale for people to drive the car. Does that mean there is something wrong with the car? Maybe? Maybe it's the sales department.

A car's success includes the ability of the sales and marketing departments and overall effort, not just that of the engineering department of an auto maker.
I say accord does little to no fleet sales because honda doesn't believe its good for the company and I agree. Sales is not = to sales by any means and saying its "still sales" is the same mentality ford has with the taurus, that car without rentals wouldn't even be in the top 10.
Old 05-30-2004, 11:59 PM
Safety Car

[B]Chicken and the egg. You're assuming that when this (Toyota) platform was designed, it was designed for the Camry and the ES, RX, Highlander, etc. offerings were an afterthought. You cant possibly believe that right? Toyota is smarter than that, I am sure you'll agree.

So I will assume we agree that the platform was designed with all of these cars in mind. So some Lexus recipe went into the platform.
I think the mistake is thinking that a platform is more than a hunk of steel whether its used in a luxury car or not. The platform doesn't seperate a toyota from a lexus, its the materials and content put into the car that does.

Putting a camry next to a es platform, I'd bet there is little difference, with both being built based on saving costs. Same as the current tl using an accord platform, all cost based, not luxury based - not making the accord a better car, instead making the tl a cheaper car.