People in Texas

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 01:52 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
People in Texas

Do any of yall know the legal requirements for a front license plate. I'm pretty sure it is required by law, but does it matter where you put it?

I want to take off the front license plate on my CL (it makes the front look horrible IMO), but at the same time I don't want to get ticketed for not having a front license plate. If I just stick the license plate inside my car so it displays in the front windshield, will it still be considered "legal" or not?
Old 11-04-2006, 02:01 PM
Don't Mess With Texas

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
it has to be on the front bumper. i live in texas and i have never ran a front plate on any of my cars. although i have friends that have gotten multiple tickets for it here in tx.

i keep my front plate in my car at all times under the pass seat...this way if i get pulled over i just say "sorry officer i got in a wreck and the bodyshop never put the plate back on....i ordered the brakcet for it im just waiting for it to come in the mail"

its worked many times with the state troopers.
Old 11-04-2006, 02:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,098 Likes on 832 Posts
hahaha imma going to steal that phrase.
Old 11-04-2006, 02:54 PM
3-piece FTW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been pulled over 10 times for no front plate. 9 warnings and I got one ticket by some asshole cop who did a 360 when he was chasing someone else. Photoshopped a front plate on and printed it out at one of those walgreens printer booth so it looked real. If you looked closely, it looks fake as hell. Gave it to the judge, dismissed. No court fee.
Old 11-04-2006, 03:13 PM
Racer

wow, man that really sucks...there goes the thought of having a cleann bumper =(
Old 11-04-2006, 03:19 PM
3-piece FTW

Who cares, its just warnings. Better then the barndoor blocking my bumper
Old 11-04-2006, 03:21 PM
3.2L Vtec

just tell the officer that you had gotten the license plate stolen and you are planning to go to the DMV within the next couple of days... Works wonders
Old 11-04-2006, 03:43 PM
Racer

i'm really tempted to do that...but...
1)i'm 18, insurance is already high, i don't want it to go higher bc of a ticket for a stupid reason.
2)my dad pays my insurance...if my insurance went higher...i'd definitely feel guilty

i'm gonna look into it more and see if that many people really get ticketed for something like that. So to take off the bracket, i'm assuming just taking off the two screws at bottom will loosen it?
Old 11-05-2006, 07:33 AM
Mmmmmm, Beer.....

I ran 4 years in CT with a euro tag on the front of my old Saab, only time I was hassled was at Westchester Cty Airport because the cop was bored. Couldn't do anything since my car wasn't registered in NY. Once I get the tags for my CLS, front will be going in my basement right where my last one was. I've paid attention, and in CT, about 1 in 10 cars doesn't have a front tag, and it's not just punks like me. It's like mini-vans and old people in Oldsmobiles too, so I figure it can't be that big a deal.
Old 11-05-2006, 01:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

If you run without the front plate it gives a cop an excuse to pull you over, and he can give you a ticket if he wants to.

You gotta decide if it's worth the risk.
Old 11-05-2006, 01:54 PM
3-piece FTW

Worth it!
Old 11-06-2006, 02:28 AM
Daily Driver '01 CLS

it depends on what cops you run into. Usually, the pigs pull over the typical dropped cl with a loud exhaust and his/her bass thumping. But if you just have a stock clean cl, and maybe a plate on the windshield, cops will usually think twice before giving up their time to eat another donut and pull you over. I've lived in Austin and Dallas with my cl and my plate is on the windshield, the first two digits of my number covered by a parking sticker-haven't gotten pulled over yet. then again. my cl is completely stock.
Old 11-06-2006, 11:21 AM
I'm here in spirit...

Originally Posted by htown
I've been pulled over 10 times for no front plate. 9 warnings and I got one ticket by some asshole cop who did a 360 when he was chasing someone else. Photoshopped a front plate on and printed it out at one of those walgreens printer booth so it looked real. If you looked closely, it looks fake as hell. Gave it to the judge, dismissed. No court fee.
Nice, htown.

Photoshop FTW!
Old 11-06-2006, 12:27 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by htown
I'm with Htown ! I have pulled over and the messed up thing is I only get pulled over in SUgarland because they really dont have anything else to do. ITs been about 3-4 times with thos e dudes and still no ticket (knock on Wood)!! I have it on there right now though because my wife has been driving it and I dont want here to get pulled over every other day. Stupid Cops
Old 11-06-2006, 12:41 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by type_speed
it depends on what cops you run into. Usually, the pigs pull over the typical dropped cl with a loud exhaust and his/her bass thumping. But if you just have a stock clean cl, and maybe a plate on the windshield, cops will usually think twice before giving up their time to eat another donut and pull you over. I've lived in Austin and Dallas with my cl and my plate is on the windshield, the first two digits of my number covered by a parking sticker-haven't gotten pulled over yet. then again. my cl is completely stock.
that reassures me, i think i'm going to go ahead and take off the front plate. i just hope theres no drilling or anything behind it.
Old 11-06-2006, 12:52 PM
3-piece FTW

Originally Posted by wakipaki
that reassures me, i think i'm going to go ahead and take off the front plate. i just hope theres no drilling or anything behind it.
Old 11-06-2006, 01:18 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by wakipaki
good luck with that. i took my front plate off to find two large holes drilled into the nose.... plate went back on.
Old 11-06-2006, 03:39 PM
Registered Member

Received 131 Likes on 106 Posts
my experience (i live in TX) was 2 warnings and 1 ticket. The ticket is labeled as an 'Equipment Violation' rather than a 'Moving Violation'. This is good and bad. It is good because it is not going to impact your insurance, but it is bad because you can't take defensive driving to dismiss it. I had to pay the fine but again it doesnt go against your insurance record.
Old 11-06-2006, 09:57 PM
Don't Mess With Texas

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AustinTaper
my experience (i live in TX) was 2 warnings and 1 ticket. The ticket is labeled as an 'Equipment Violation' rather than a 'Moving Violation'. This is good and bad. It is good because it is not going to impact your insurance, but it is bad because you can't take defensive driving to dismiss it. I had to pay the fine but again it doesnt go against your insurance record.
u shouldnt have had to pay it...usually they dismiss if you show proof that you put it on.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:03 PM
SOLD: 03 SSM CLS Auto

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gr4mm4t0n
good luck with that. i took my front plate off to find two large holes drilled into the nose.... plate went back on.

Same here, and a worn area around the black frame against the bumper.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:28 PM
Instructor

keeping your plate on the dashboard against the windshield is actually a pretty bad idea. imagine if you get into an accident and you have a sharp metal plate fly at your head going 60mph? i just keep my plate on as to not give the bacon any excuse to pull me over and then possibly find illegal "substances" or activities going on in the car.
Old 11-07-2006, 12:01 AM
Daily Driver '01 CLS

Originally Posted by Doobieman
keeping your plate on the dashboard against the windshield is actually a pretty bad idea. imagine if you get into an accident and you have a sharp metal plate fly at your head going 60mph? i just keep my plate on as to not give the bacon any excuse to pull me over and then possibly find illegal "substances" or activities going on in the car.
yes, unless you have anything to do with illegal "substances" it would be safer to keep your plate on the bumper. Remember, I am not endorsing you do this, but it really depends. 1) putting it on the windshield can be bad. ie. the cop sees it on the windshield and that reminds himself. 2) the plate flying by your head thing, but that is kinda what you see in those "final destination" stupid movies. 3) taking the plate off completely is the best bet if you want to take the plate off. Most newer model cars Ive seen in texas do not have their front license plates. Again. I am not here to reassure you but to tell you my experiences with my plates. I currently live in Dallas. A very conservative city. As NWA would say. F* the police
Old 11-13-2006, 09:00 PM
Racer

so i finally took off the front plate

damn license plate bracket has made little (ok...quite noticable) indentions on the bumper =(
not cool
but regardless...it still looks a hell of a lot better than with the license plate

i looked at the price of a new bumper at acuraoemparts.com, its ~$200, i'd consider getting it...but only if it's painted.