Over 50 Waxes Reviewed and Compared

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2001, 07:57 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Over 50 Waxes Reviewed and Compared

M5 forum posting below:
http://www.bimmer.org/m5/messages/messages/24598.html

talks about this new site that just launched yesterday.
http://www.thewaxtest.com/
Old 10-23-2001, 08:50 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ugh, people must be on crack. How can Zaino be given a "C"? The site lost all credibility when they rated the oder. Moreover, zaino products smell damn good what they hell are these people talking about? oh well
Old 10-23-2001, 09:22 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Zapata
ugh, people must be on crack. How can Zaino be given a "C"? The site lost all credibility when they rated the oder. Moreover, zaino products smell damn good what they hell are these people talking about? oh well
Wake up calls are a bitch aren't they?
Old 10-23-2001, 09:32 AM
Drifting

Maybe you've been smelling it, instead of putting it on. They said they would give it another shot.. In the mean time, I'm going to give the P21 stuff a try. YMMV
Old 10-23-2001, 09:49 AM
Drifting

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Personally, I have talked to many people who have used almost all of these products, and there are always a couple that always stand in front. They are Zaino, Klasse, Blitz, P21s, and Pinnacle Sovereign.

Spiro
Old 10-23-2001, 09:56 AM
Nosferatu

Personally, I also disagree with the Zaino results. There are a few flaws in the test, being that Zaino works best with NO wax underneath. They didn't strip the spoiler of any wax prior to applying the Zaino, that does dull the shine as it brings out the impurities in the other wax and if the wax was yellowed in the littlest bit it dulls anything applied on top of it. I view this article the same as magazine racing results. The real world is where the true results are. I just Zaino'd my Acura with two coats of Z5 and one coat of Z2 and literally (I'm not exagerating) 40% of my wife's workplace is asking me for the stuff. Including one guy who was a die hard Meguiar's Gold Class user and swore by it. Until he saw the results of the Zaino. My entire FAMILY and my wife's family now use only Zaino, including my father who has had and waxed cars for 40 years and has NEVER seen anything with the results of Zaino. Sorry, but no one I know has ever gotten compliments in the real world like that using the 'other' guys stuff. Just like magazine racing means nothing, but real world racing brings out the true performance numbers, Zaino is proven in the real world over what any test can state.
Old 10-23-2001, 09:59 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by Vampyre
Personally, I also disagree with the Zaino results. There are a few flaws in the test, being that Zaino works best with NO wax underneath. They didn't strip the spoiler of any wax prior to applying the Zaino, that does dull the shine as it brings out the impurities in the other wax and if the wax was yellowed in the littlest bit it dulls anything applied on top of it. I view this article the same as magazine racing results. The real world is where the true results are. I just Zaino'd my Acura with two coats of Z5 and one coat of Z2 and literally (I'm not exagerating) 40% of my wife's workplace is asking me for the stuff. Including one guy who was a die hard Meguiar's Gold Class user and swore by it. Until he saw the results of the Zaino. My entire FAMILY and my wife's family now use only Zaino, including my father who has had and waxed cars for 40 years and has NEVER seen anything with the results of Zaino. Sorry, but no one I know has ever gotten compliments in the real world like that using the 'other' guys stuff. Just like magazine racing means nothing, but real world racing brings out the true performance numbers, Zaino is proven in the real world over what any test can state.
I beleive they said they used Dawn, that pretty much takes off existing wax..
Old 10-23-2001, 10:41 AM
Nosferatu

Originally posted by CO-CL-S

Not quite, it takes some wax off, but not all. Just washing with dawn would take a couple of washes to get the wax off, (unless it's some cheap a$$ stuff). The most sure way to get it off is to use dawn, clay bar the car, and then dawn again. Ask any auto detailer how they strip the wax,and most will say they clay it. That's the only sure way to get all the wax off. WHen I dawned my brother's camaro, it still beaded after the dawn wash. It only stopped after I clayed it and dawned again.
Old 10-23-2001, 11:03 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Maybe you've been smelling it, instead of putting it on. They said they would give it another shot.. In the mean time, I'm going to give the P21 stuff a try. YMMV

right. Have you ever used Zaino correctly? You wouldn't be saying this if you had.
Old 10-23-2001, 11:06 AM
JZ
Three Wheelin'

Zaino is the best and it smells so good I DO, in fact, find myself sniffing it!
Old 10-23-2001, 11:07 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally posted by M5 Lite

Wake up calls are a bitch aren't they?
wake up call? no i don't think so. I see the results with my own eyes. What ticks me off is that this site is going to start gaining credibility once it get sponsered or bought and people will actually believe this shit......
Old 10-23-2001, 11:18 AM
Banned

Proper 'cycle' treatment of your paint is in my signature.

Clay (not the cheap meguiers crap) + Polish (to take off remaining wax and nourish your paint with oils) + Your choice of wax (in my case, Pinnacle).
Old 10-23-2001, 11:24 AM
Learn to swim.

I have read several reveiws for auto-wax. None of them have rated Zaino very high. I think people are taken back by the snake oil appeal; Wow! It takes 9 coats of this stuff and they all have name like Z5 and Z92, it must be good! Clay this, clay that. Caly bars are not a new idea, nor are they specific to Zaino.

My neighbor uses Zaino on his Porsche, many times we have spent Saturdays grooming our cars and never have I been able to discern much of a difference in shine or over-all surface "feel". For that much work, I think the benefits should number more. Just my opinion, but when I find myself spending anywhere near six hours brooding over the finish of any car, it had better be a Ferrari or I had better own a body shop. Zaino may be a fine wax, but anything that requires more layers and attention than the paint got when applied in the first place looses credibility with me.

All my opinons...
Old 10-23-2001, 11:49 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally posted by aeon
I have read several reveiws for auto-wax. None of them have rated Zaino very high. I think people are taken back by the snake oil appeal; Wow! It takes 9 coats of this stuff and they all have name like Z5 and Z92, it must be good! Clay this, clay that. Caly bars are not a new idea, nor are they specific to Zaino.

My neighbor uses Zaino on his Porsche, many times we have spent Saturdays grooming our cars and never have I been able to discern much of a difference in shine or over-all surface "feel". For that much work, I think the benefits should number more. Just my opinion, but when I find myself spending anywhere near six hours brooding over the finish of any car, it had better be a Ferrari or I had better own a body shop. Zaino may be a fine wax, but anything that requires more layers and attention than the paint got when applied in the first place looses credibility with me.

All my opinons...
You are giving credit to the shitty acura paint job? You just lost all credibility.

One coat of the stuff is enough but the lgloss and protection gets better as you apply more coats. I only do one coat per session. 1.5 hours for wash an wax. It should not take you 6 hours every time. I grant you that the first time through it takes a while but after that it shouldn't take that long.

Not everybody has a ferrari. My CLS is my ferrari.
Old 10-23-2001, 12:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

The true procedure for Zaino:
1) Wash with dawn
2) Clay
3) Wash with dawn
4) Drink a 2 cases of Bud
5) Z2
6) Kill a chicken, write 'sal' with chicken blood
7) Z6
8) Pray to Zaino god 'sal'
9) Repeat last 4 steps 20 times

Unless you do that, you're doing it wrong.

What ever the "TRUE" way to do it is. They followed the directions.
The reason I use Zaino is cause I can wipe the stuff on anything
(plastic, bumper, glass) and it wipes right off. And it keeps the car
cleaner longer. It definately does not look better than when I
used cheap nufinish. Even if I did love this stuff. Can't imagine
this website getting my undies in a wad.
Old 10-23-2001, 12:30 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
I would also agree Zaino is not all that much better then many of the stuff out there.

I have used many waxes & synthetics... and I find the synthetic/carnuba blends to work best when it comes to ease of use and results.

Like Closer, one of the few things that really keeps me in the Zaino camp is the fact that I can apply it on everything without residue.

I also enjoy spending many days on my car... so the fact I can build layers make me happy hehe

But Zaino is NOT out of this world. Its good stuff... but it is extremely difficult to use. Sure, if you master he art of applying invisibly thin layers... it comes off easy... but theres more to ease of use then that.

Either way, I have become accustomed to Zaino... and it cost a fortune to build my collection... so I will continue to use it. I do actually enjoy the smell as well.

The BEST part about Zaino is the Z6 Spray. Thats the only Zaino product that I believe is better then any other out there.

It IS the best quick detail spray you can buy IMO.
Old 10-23-2001, 12:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by soopa
I do actually enjoy the smell as well.
Yeah that pink stuff smells yummy.
brown stuff doesn't smell too nice though.
Old 10-23-2001, 01:20 PM
Intermediate

You guys are right when you say that real world test are the true measure of a wax. I own and have used all of the top waxes they list on that site. I found Zaino refreshingly easy to use. Sure they recommend letting it sit for a long time, but you aren't doing anything to the car during that time. There isn't anything that goes on as easy IMO. At least on my car the finish is greatly improved over just a clean car with no wax on it, which is how their test said it came out.
Old 10-23-2001, 01:30 PM
Banned

You are giving credit to the shitty acura paint job? You just lost all credibility.

One coat of the stuff is enough but the lgloss and protection gets better as you apply more coats. I only do one coat per session. 1.5 hours for wash an wax. It should not take you 6 hours every time. I grant you that the first time through it takes a while but after that it shouldn't take that long.

Takes you 1 1/2 hours to do a simple wash & wax job?!?!?!? It should be taking you 45min. to 1 hour max!

Heck I can clay, polish, wax, clean leather, shine up trim and clean all the glass on my car in 2 hours! And that isn't doing a half-ass job.

Your doing something wrong of Zaino isn't drying quick enough for you (too my wax).

Best way to do it is to put a thin layer since a thicker layer doesn't really have much more advantage than a thin one because the extra wax doesn't penetrate the paint surface and just comes off with your buffing towel.

Also, you want to make sure you use 100% cotton towels otherwise you get microscopic scratches which degrade your brilliant end result. Most that are advertised out there are NOT 100%, they usually contain polyester somewhere.
Old 10-23-2001, 01:31 PM
Learn to swim.

Wow, from what I said you inferred that I was standing up for the "shitty" Acura paint job? Gee, you must be a master of deduction, because even though I wrote it -I can't find anywhere in my statement where I praise or uphold the high quality of any such paint job.

You on the other hand; before abolishing all credibility, might want to reconsider spending so much money and effort on a wax treatment for a car with such a "shitty acura paint job".

One coat of a good Carnuba does just fine for me, and I don't blow my whole day doing it or get so mad when a hawk shits a whole chicken on my hood the next day. It's just a car man, please...
Old 10-23-2001, 01:39 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
hey, play nice boys!

this is just a wax review. we all have different results... may or may not be due to user error.

but i dont think anyone here can honestly say theyve used ALLL those waxes back to back and can do a true comparison.

Of course one is the best if thats all you ever use.
Old 10-23-2001, 03:50 PM
Pimp Daddy Gold

Wow, so many reviews and not one mention of 'liquid glass'. I've been using the product for years and I think it works great...easy on, easy off, can even apply it in the sun.

http://www.liquidglass.com/
Any opinions/comments ?
Old 10-23-2001, 04:01 PM
Banned

Originally posted by 1coolcat
Wow, so many reviews and not one mention of 'liquid glass'. I've been using the product for years and I think it works great...easy on, easy off, can even apply it in the sun.

Any opinions/comments ?
I have this product at home along with tons of others. I've used it once and that was it. If I remember correctly, this is the one with the old style 'tin can' bottle.
Old 10-23-2001, 05:09 PM
Suzuka Master

A lot of good points from the comments here.

I'd like to know who has the time to use a regular carnauba on a car that sits out in the sun?

I use both the Zaino and the "TS Clear Coat" and I finally got lazy and stopped applying coats for the last few months and the stuff still looks perfect.

As soopa says, the Zaino smells great and goes on over the glass and you don't need a power grinder to remove the stuff.

The other issues concerning humidity, dry-time, etc should be re-evaluated when the "hardener" comes out.

IMO -- I think some of the carnaubas look deeper on various colors, but they just don't last that long.

Interesting that the one recent test comes up with Zaino #1, and these guys have it as $hit…
Old 10-24-2001, 12:12 AM
Pro

I have this product at home along with tons of others. I've used it once and that was it. If I remember correctly, this is the one with the old style 'tin can' bottle.

Yeah i have used it to, i think i paid like 19.99 for the tin bottle used it on 1/4 of a dark grey volvo and put the can right back on my shelf, it went on easy, and came off easy but when i steped back to look at the car it looked like i waxed the car with some bertoli extra virgin olive oil. instead of wax.
Old 10-24-2001, 12:53 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by 1coolcat

Any opinions/comments ?
Umm, dude, it's there, not sure why you didn't see it, maybe because you only looked at the "High-end" Wax comparison:

Liquid Glass Ultimate Auto Polish/Finish
PRICE: $21.95 (16 oz.) Availability: Direct, Here, and most major auto parts stores.

Liquid Glass claims "This amazing special formula makes it possible to coat your vehicle with a clear, hard, smooth, and mirror-like finish with a minimum of effort. The finish will not crack, chip, peel, or turn yellow. Liquid Glass is safe for use on today's clearcoats, gelcoats, acrylics, metalflakes, candy apples, pearls, plastic paints, epoxies, urethanes, etc. Also does an excellent job on chrome, aluminum, stainless steel, brass, etc."

Ingredients: Aliphatic hydrocarbons, amino polymers, ultra-violet sunscreen inhibitors, moisturizers, conditioners, rust inhibitors, mild inert cleaning agents, aliphatic petroleum solvents.
Prerequisite: Liquid Glass Pre-Cleaner ($7.50 8oz.)

WAX COLOR WAX ODOR APPLICATION EASE REMOVAL EASE SHINE GLOSS DEPTH/COLOR CLARITY REFLECTIVITY SMOOTHNESS OVERALL EFFECT GRADE
Blue Chemical B B+ C+ C+ C C+ C+ B F D-
Notes: At the recommendation of a very helpful third party, we can't comment on this product. We were unimpressed with our initial results, your mileage may vary.

I honestly have seen numerous pictures of your cars and one Accord Zaino user and don't see any difference between your shines and mine at home with Eagle One Wet Polish and Wax. Now that someone has actually come on the internet and compared, they're actually receiving threats from these Zaino Zealots. Maybe it's time to stop spending so much for p2 to put on before p27 right after p5 and let sit for a day to put on p1000, and then getting mind-fucked by a shine that's in reality not any better than a Meguiars or Eagle One . It's like a butt dyno, not really accurate because ur telling urself u actually "feel" power :P
Old 10-24-2001, 10:00 AM
Meat Popsicle

Closer wrote it thusly;
Yeah that pink stuff smells yummy.
brown stuff doesn't smell too nice though.
That applies to other areas in life as well.
Old 10-24-2001, 10:03 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally posted by lilfeat
Closer wrote it thusly;

That applies to other areas in life as well.

Old 10-24-2001, 10:05 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

zaino is great on rims as well. I did it for the first time this weekend and they look great. Filled up gas and just wiped off the rims with a paper towel and they look just like when i washed them
Old 10-24-2001, 10:45 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Interesting tests. They seem to be very picky, which is probably good. I was laughing my ass off at the comment they added under the Zaino that people were email them basically cursing them out. I can't believe people actually get that worked up over a wax.... pretty funny....
Old 10-24-2001, 11:12 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally posted by juniorbean
Interesting tests. They seem to be very picky, which is probably good. I was laughing my ass off at the comment they added under the Zaino that people were email them basically cursing them out. I can't believe people actually get that worked up over a wax.... pretty funny....

Gotta reprazent! It's a good product and falsely formed public opinion could ruin a company. I'm glad people are writting in and I probably will as well.
Old 10-24-2001, 12:02 PM
Banned

Gotta reprazent! It's a good product and falsely formed public opinion could ruin a company. I'm glad people are writting in and I probably will as well.
Falsely formed?
Old 10-24-2001, 01:02 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Falsely formed?

Don't think so, how many people on this board......how many are happy users of Zaino?
Old 10-24-2001, 01:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Don't think so, how many people on this board......how many are happy users of Zaino?

Well, we could start a "happy Zaino user" column....

Add me to the list.

BTW -- If I had a billion dollars and could have someone ELSE wax my fleet of cars every week or so, I might just use carnuba on some colors of exotic cars...
Old 10-25-2001, 09:31 AM
JZ
Three Wheelin'

I just got done reading the results of that test and I am shocked.

I have used many of those waxes and let me tell you my impressions on some of the comments of them and members here.

Zaino is by far the easiest wax to use I have ever encountered. What is tricky about the protocol?

1. (as with all good waxing jobs) start by claying
2. Wipe Z1 on--couldn't be easier.
3. Apply polish on top of Z1 without waiting, using the same pad etc.
4. Wait an hour (many detailing places let waxes sit overnight before removing).
5. Wipe with MINIMAL effort, thus reducing appearance of swirl marks.

For those of you who find this "tricky", I don't know what to say.

Yesterday, since it was a nice day here, I took off from work a bit early, washed the car, dried it, applied a fresh coat of zaino, waited one hour and wiped it off in about 20 minutes.

What is hard about that?

And, Zaino takes very little effort to wipe off compared to other waxes.

Now, my car is silky smooth and beautiful looking.

Plus, one other great thing about Zaino is that it is more impervious to environmental insults that regular wax is. I find that Zaion beads water for much longer than regular waxes and Zaion clearly wins the all-mighty water beading test compared to any other wax I have used.

Oh well, I guess I must be wrong.
Old 10-25-2001, 04:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by JZ

Plus, one other great thing about Zaino is that it is more impervious to environmental insults that regular wax is. I find that Zaion beads water for much longer than regular waxes and Zaion clearly wins the all-mighty water beading test compared to any other wax I have used.

Oh well, I guess I must be wrong.
You should have your N and O keys checked out.
Old 10-25-2001, 04:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
I wonder if they use Zaino in those do-it-yourself carwashes. I go and wash my car for about $5 every 2-3 weeks and the wax that comes out of that thing is awesome. I am very happy with the shine and can't tell the difference from anything else I have tried. Best of all, it only takes 10 minutes and the car will bead up for weeks.

I agree with Aeon with the point that maybe when I have a ferrari, I will buy some expensive stuff. Until then, it's just another CL.

-Ash
Old 10-25-2001, 05:25 PM
Banned

C'mon Zaino fanatics.....they said it didn't impress them. If you really think about it....if it takes you 6 FUCKING HOURS to wash and wax your car....that is not easy. If Zaino was the best, wouldn't every detailer in the country use it??? I'm not saying it isn't good...it's a group of people's opinions...if they didn't like it...why don't you start your OWN site and do tests??? Truth be told, if you clay any car...and re-wax it with any decent brand of wax...it'll have the same smooth glass-like finish.
Old 11-20-2001, 11:51 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 121 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally posted by moomaster_99
Truth be told, if you clay any car...and re-wax it with any decent brand of wax...it'll have the same smooth glass-like finish.
True. But the really nice thing about Zaino is that it
LASTS.

I just took a look at their site for the first time, and Zaino does
very well indeed.

I have a suspicion that thewaxtest.com extended their tests to see how the wax lasts over time. And it appeared to have radically changed their opinion of Zaino.

Take a look at week 4:
Zaino's score: Reflectiveness: B+ Smoothness: B+.
This is the highest score of ALL waxes on that site for week 4. The only one that comes close is P215 Carunba, which had A-, C+.

And this is with only ONE coat of Zaino. Imagine if you layer
it on, like most of us do. By week 4 we're still shining like the
sun!

Anyway, the TRUE test of a wax, imho, is its ability to convert
die hard users of other waxes. Give it to someone who teases
you about being a Zaino freak and see what it does to them.
I'm not going to mention any names. *coughScootercough*
Old 11-21-2001, 12:03 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 121 Likes on 86 Posts
Okay, I finally read their 'top 4 wax shootout:"
and indeed they are doing longevity tests.

They are going to do extended test between the top two synthetics, and the top two carnunba waxes.

This would be: P21S Carnauba vs Meguire's Medallion vs
Klass Concours vs Zaino.

They also confessed that when they first tried Zaino they put way too much on, and it futzed up their initial tests, hence the low
C rating.

Quick Reply: Over 50 Waxes Reviewed and Compared