Our navi sucks donkey a__!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2001, 12:28 AM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Our navi sucks donkey a__!

I already told this whole story to eclipse on AIM. So im just cutting and pasting.

This is my experience coming home from the NY auto show.

(Sorry for profanity... originally a private convo.. light-hearts exit here )

so im leaving NYC.... on the FDR....

im thinkin.... I know I should get on the Deagon and hop onto 87... straight line to my fucking house.

but the navi is telling me otherwise

so i think... oh... maybe this bitch knows a shorter way

fucking slut sends me over the GW... into fucking Jersey...

so... then im pissed...

but im like fuck it... only losing like 30 minutes that way

then... im on like... 17 i think?

and the bitch... is like... "Exit on the right"... 200 yards PAST the exit

fucking christ

so...

i end up going all the way down past Park Ave Acura

through fucking Paramus and shit

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
San Marino Red (Navigation)
PIAA 19173 Ion Yellow Fog Lights
Aftermarket Black Wood Trim Kit
Old 04-23-2001, 12:34 AM
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I usually ZOOM back on the screen after typing in a destination to see where the “in dash slut” wants me to go.
If I don’t like it, I try to substitute roads or just start out the way I know and let the system adjust on the fly.

Question….
I will be taking a trip down to Germantown, Maryland this Saturday morning.
Does anyone know how well the NAV works in that area ???

Shawn S

------------------
Speed limits are for CARS and DRIVERS whose limits are easily exceeded !!!!!

2001 CL Type S - NAV - San Marino RED / Parchment - Spoiler - 35% Tint - Roof Visor - PIAA Lamps
GOLD Emblems & Grill - V1 w/remote - KICKER AMP w/(2) 10" Alumapro Subs - Xephyr CAI - Shine by ZAINO
For Photos see: PAGE 1 PAGE 2 PAGE 3 PAGE 4 V1 & SUBS
Old 04-23-2001, 12:39 AM
The Creator

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Shawn S:
I usually ZOOM back on the screen after typing in a destination to see where the “in dash slut” wants me to go.
If I don’t like it, I try to substitute roads or just start out the way I know and let the system adjust on the fly.
</font>
I do the same... but... when your cruising through NYC... and especially when your goin up the FDR... you dont have time to figure it out.

And even if you do... the time it takes for her to recalculate... she has to recalculate again cuz your in a completely different spot.

Damn.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
Old 04-23-2001, 12:43 AM
Race Director

Exactly; the Navi works well in most places, but unfortuantely there are a few places where it's performance is somewhat less than stellar.

I have found that when the roads get really tight and when there are lots and lots of parallel roads and many routes to choose from, you either need to do as Shawn suggests and "make your own route" or simply be aware that Navi is not always choosing the best route.

In Kansas, I never seem to have this problem in two years. One day I go to Minneapolis, and Navi is having a hard time understanding the difference between the access road and the freeway.

I bet if someone did the research, you might find that some of these places where built/created out of spec. IOW, the official files say one thing and the construction company did something else.

I suggest everyone try to use the Navi as much as possible; particularly when you go a difference route or when you travel to other parts of town. Practice, practice, practice. It's like your radar detector. You need to do some of the thinking for the computer.

------------------
* 2001 Acura CL Type S * Blk/Blk * Navigator * Spoiler * Moonroof Visor * V1 *
* Since 3/31/2000 *
* Road Warrior *
Old 04-23-2001, 01:02 AM
Instructor

Funny! That's the exact way I go to Albany from NYC. Take a look at the map, I think the Nani may have been right.
Old 04-23-2001, 02:21 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 72 Likes on 38 Posts
And you paid $2k for that piece of junk?? Hee hee
J/K

------------------
Alex

[This message has been edited by alex2364 (edited 04-23-2001).]
Old 04-23-2001, 02:24 AM
Kill the Chicken heads

be sure to see what the directions are set on. meaning: Direct Route or The easy way

------------------
Nick
01' Cl-S Silver/ Black W/ Navi and Spoiler
V-1 Radar Hard Wired, Limo Tint all around
Comptech Headers, Sways, and AEM CAI
I've got one of the CLS's from the fast batch.
Lead Foot!
Old 04-23-2001, 10:07 AM
Coming to a city near you

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Type S Smokes All:
be sure to see what the directions are set on. meaning: Direct Route or The easy way
</font>
Also try minimize freeway, that sometimes works.
I have the same problem a lot as well. The navi seems to get lost and sends you around in a big circle just to cross the street.
When I drive out to salisbury, Md. The road EVERYBODY takes is 50 east. But the navi tries to send me through deleware first and then back down, adding 30 mins to the trip. But I also have a friend with the alpine aftermarket unit and his tells him the same thing. So maybe its just a flaw with the software? Also has anybody actually read the instrucion booklet? maybe it talks about it in there. I was going to try and look it up but never got around to it.

[This message has been edited by Achance (edited 04-23-2001).]
Old 04-23-2001, 10:13 AM
Adult Supervision

Soopa,

Keep going with the story. Where did she send you to? Up 17 to 287/87? Deegan is on the East side of the river correct?

------------------
CL-S #22,299 Black/Parchment/Nav, spoiler, door & fender guards, wood trim, PIAA 9005, Polarg M6, V1 w/remote, trunk & winter mats, no headers, no sway bars, no springs, no CAI, no money! (but I got a nice new kitchen!)
Old 04-23-2001, 11:01 AM
Burning Brakes

The Navi always plots the fastest route based on the number of miles traveled and speed limits on the calculated route. Those of us in NY/NJ know that on certain routes, the average speed of traffic can be 5MPH not 55MPH as the Navi expects. If your driving at 3:00AM on a weekday, technically, the route the Navi recommends is always fastest. For "real time" driving conditions, like 8:00AM on a Monday, it pays to manipulate the route to compensate for the Navi’s optimism. Overall though, I think it's amazingly accurate and the "reroute" feature has saved me a couple of times in helping me get around accidents and construction.
Old 04-23-2001, 11:11 AM
Someday pigs WILL fly!

Ha ha. Adam, what you don't realize is that Park Avenue Acura has corrupted your system. Whenever you are in the vicinity it will automatically bring you to Park Avenue Acura for reprogramming. Only Wayne G and Jens H can help you know.

------------------
01 CL-S NightHawk Black/Ebony Bowling Ball Interior
Old 04-23-2001, 11:29 AM
Suzuka Master

Question….

Shawn S

</font>

Works really great in DC,VA,and MD so far for me. Just lock your doors when going through the ghetto in MD. The navi gave me a shortcut last week when I was going to the BWI meet and sent me through this MD ghetto.
Wishing that I would of just took the long way.

------------------
CL-S
White/Ebony/Navi/Spoiler/Visor/Full Bra/Mud Guards/Acura Car Cover/Tint 20%,35%,5% on Sun Roof, Rockford 250a2 Amp w/JL10w6 / K&N Drop in Filter. Comptech Springs. Polarg m-6.
Comptech Headers, Comptech Sways, Eurolite Xenon Crystal high beams.
me.

gtech 0-60 6.03 w/ 438 pound load. preheader.
Old 04-23-2001, 02:18 PM
The Creator

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by rwwlaw:
Funny! That's the exact way I go to Albany from NYC. Take a look at the map, I think the Nani may have been right.</font>
Well your taking the wrong route then

This little detour added an extra hour and a half to my time.

I87 is a straight line from New York to Albany...

If I got right on there from the FDR I would been home in 2... maybe 2 1/2 hours.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
Old 04-23-2001, 02:21 PM
The Creator

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MikeS 18:
Soopa,

Keep going with the story. Where did she send you to? Up 17 to 287/87? Deegan is on the East side of the river correct?
</font>
Yes... up 17 to 87.

And yes... Deagon is on the East Side...

You get off the FDR on the right to go Deagon>I-87 and on the left to go GW->Middle of nowhere in jersey

I missed Sopranos cuz of this!!! DAMN!

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
Old 04-23-2001, 02:46 PM
CL-ever Girl

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Achance:

When I drive out to salisbury, Md. The road EVERYBODY takes is 50 east. But the navi tries to send me through deleware first and then back down, adding 30 mins to the trip. But I also have a friend with the alpine aftermarket unit and his tells him the same thing. So maybe its just a flaw with the software?

</font>

I don't have navi, but I used Mapquest one time to go to Salisbury and it sent me thru Deleware. It didn't add time, really, but it was annoying. I was pissed to go from VA to MD thru Deleware.

------------------
*Freedom is just another word for nothing left to lose*
Old 04-23-2001, 02:52 PM
Instructor

That's why Acura is releasing the new version in a few months.. The guys that work there told me that they had a few bad experiences testing out the system.. It's not the system they told me, just the progie software needs to be updated badly.. I don't know if u guys notice that direct route and easy route aren't really that much different. That's one thing they are aware of and said they would work on.. Our Navi compared to other automobiles still is better.. The Lexus Navi kit does not let u edit a trip if the car is in drive or reverse.. That is for safety issue so plp don't take their eyes off the road.. But I find that is Bulls*$ cuz if you're moving on an expressway and surrounded by cars, it's not easy to just stop and pull over. The BMW's kit is even more complicated.. The Infinity Q45 has a nice one with voice command, but Acura won't implement that feature for another 2 yrs.

-Anywho, for those interested in the Navi disc backup I think u read my story on my ride.. It's in the shop now and not even worked on yet.. I've been depressed and mourning it's injuries.. So sorry if I haven't gotten back to you guys yet about shipping details for the Navi discs. I hope ya'll understand.. U can visit my site in the meantime for some more details about payments and stuff.. www.j-o-e-y.com.. I am transferring I-service provider and website host so the site is currently under construction. U can still read the stuff u need to know for now.. Peace!!!
-

------------------
'01 3.2CL-S (BLACK &lt;&gt; EBONY) W/ NAVIGAT. KIT
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
~ REAR SPOILER ~ ** ~ ACURA NOSE GUARD BRA ~
~ GOLD EMBLEM KIT + GRILLE ~ ** ~ ROOF VISOR ~
~ MUD GUARDS ~ ** ~ WOOD TRIM KIT ~
~ MAHOGANY SHIFT KNOB~
~ CARGO NET ~ ** ~ WHEEL LOCKS ~
~ 35% METALLIC CHROME TINT (all doors) ~
~ V-1 RADAR DETECTOR W/ REMOTE ~
~ MOTOROLA HANDSFREE PRO-INSTALL PHONE KIT ~
~ ALPINE 350W AMP - W/ 12" XTANT SPEAKER ~
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Joey's Mistress
Old 04-23-2001, 04:07 PM
Coming to a city near you

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by j_o_e_y:

-Anywho, for those interested in the Navi disc backup I think u read my story on my ride.. It's in the shop now and not even worked on yet.. I've been depressed and mourning it's injuries.. So sorry if I haven't gotten back to you guys yet about shipping details for the Navi discs. I hope ya'll understand.. U can visit my site in the meantime for some more details about payments and stuff.. www.j-o-e-y.com.. I am transferring I-service provider and website host so the site is currently under construction. U can still read the stuff u need to know for now.. Peace!!!
-
</font>
I was wondering what happened to you. I just figured you flaked on all of us.

------------------
I think we are all driving the Civic Si's big brother.
Old 04-23-2001, 04:23 PM
Adult Supervision

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by soopa:
Yes... up 17 to 87.

And yes... Deagon is on the East Side...

You get off the FDR on the right to go Deagon>I-87 and on the left to go GW->Middle of nowhere in jersey

I missed Sopranos cuz of this!!! DAMN!

</font>
Well, if you know this then why did you listen to her? So it took you down 287 to Rt 17 and then back across - Geez - she has never been in Jersey obviously

Anyways, you got to go to Jersey - Soprano's in real life!

On the upside, RT17 north before you get to RT87 is a dragway!

------------------
CL-S #22,299 Black/Parchment/Nav, spoiler, door & fender guards, wood trim, PIAA 9005, Polarg M6, V1 w/remote, trunk & winter mats, no headers, no sway bars, no springs, no CAI, no money! (but I got a nice new kitchen!)
Old 04-23-2001, 04:33 PM
The Creator

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MikeS 18:
Well, if you know this then why did you listen to her? So it took you down 287 to Rt 17 and then back across - Geez - she has never been in Jersey obviously</font>
Because I didnt really know where she had planned on sending me... all I knew was that I was on the FDR and she was demanding I go over the GW...

That was new to me so I thought... "oh... maybe the lil pain in my ass knows a shortcut for once"

But. Should always trust your first instincts, heh.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
Old 04-23-2001, 04:50 PM
Racer

I 2nd this! This navi blows! I used it to get to HIN in AC, and after sitting on the ACE for over 1 1/2 hours, I finally get to the show. I am right in front of the convention center and it tells me to keep right (maybe there's a parking garage in the back?). Well, I do what it says and ALAS, I am back on the ACE and the first exit isn't for another 6 or so miles. I had to pay the DAMN toll 3X to get into AC for the show I couldn't believe it, I was like WTF? I punched my screen while I was waiting in the endless line of traffic for another 45 mins. AND I MISSED THE SHOW! What a piece of manure.

------------------
Why buy a special edition car and not drive it like it was meant to be driven
Old 04-23-2001, 06:01 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,569 Likes on 986 Posts

Question …

Shawn S

</font>
Shawn, G-town is very easy to get around. Best way to get there is to come down 70/270 if you can. If you come down I-95, you'll have to mess with the Capital Beltway which can be a total bitch at times. I used to live in Rockville so I know the area pretty well. If you try to plan out beforehand, I can help you with the directions.

DC
Old 04-23-2001, 07:54 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
haha... well this is for CA ppl =)
once i was on 210 and i should change to 5 Golden....something freeway. the exit to 5 is on the right hand side... but the navi told me to "STAY ON THE LEFT" i was like WTF??? so i had to cut off all 6 lanes to go back to the right.
Old 04-23-2001, 07:56 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 978 Likes on 330 Posts

------------------

Old 04-23-2001, 08:01 PM
w.t.f., mate?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by CLpower:

</font>
Picture doesn't work PUNK

------------------
_-Phil-_!
2K1 #10,029 Satin Silver CL-S since 6/13/00 named Laetitia with Navi! Mods : XEPHYR PERFORMANCE CAI~3M Reflective Tint(37%) tint~Hiper Hibrid Plasma "Xenon" road lamps & high-beams~Uniden LRD 6599SWS Radar Detector~Shine by Meguiar's Gold Wax~Member of the Scratched Rims Club~
Old 04-23-2001, 08:04 PM
Lurker

I'm not too surprised at your story. I know that the navi is trying to find the fastest way, and I know it doesn't belive in traffic . . . but I've also learned that it just LOVES the George Washington Bridge. Maybe it just has a healthy disrespect for the Tap, but sometimes it's just silly. Oh well, I had an Uncle who was the same way.

Hey Shawn . . . I've been meaning to ask you: does the version of the DVD you have know about roads in Bethlehem?
Old 04-23-2001, 11:38 PM
Team Owner

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by mrtim:

Hey Shawn . . . I've been meaning to ask you: does the version of the DVD you have know about roads in Bethlehem?
</font>
I have the original release of the NAV software.
Bethlehem is not mapped out very well at all.
Only the main streets & highways are in the database.
Absolutely NONE of the side streets are in there.
Hopefully the next revision will address this somewhat.

Shawn S

------------------
Speed limits are for CARS and DRIVERS whose limits are easily exceeded !!!!!

2001 CL Type S - NAV - San Marino RED / Parchment - Spoiler - 35% Tint - Roof Visor - PIAA Lamps
GOLD Emblems & Grill - V1 w/remote - KICKER AMP w/(2) 10" Alumapro Subs - Xephyr CAI - Shine by ZAINO
For Photos see: PAGE 1 PAGE 2 PAGE 3 PAGE 4 V1 & SUBS
Old 04-24-2001, 12:26 PM
Burning Brakes

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">i end up going all the way down past Park Ave Acura through fucking Paramus and shit</font>
Haha hehe … soop, you should of stopped off by me. I live in all of that focking sh1t in Paramus.

With the Navi I've found that unless you use one of the "types" of directions, such as toll roads or nontoll or minimize freeways etc, that the Navi prefers the "best" route. That would be the widest road. Thats been the case with me so far. If I use "direct" route I get there the fastest without any strange directions.

------------------
"01" CL Type-S
White\Black
Comptech Springs
Comptech Sways
Navigation System
Burlwood Shifter
Guards+Fenderwell Trim
PIAA16969
Smokers Package
My Car