This ought to be fun...SHARE YOUR BEATER EXPERIENCES!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2003, 02:19 PM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This ought to be fun...SHARE YOUR BEATER EXPERIENCES!

OK, most if not all of us have relatively nice cars now. Some are paid for in cash before the car leaves the dealer, and some of us get the new beast and assume a shitload of debt for years.

But we ALL had a beater at some time. Young. No Job. Bad driving record and high insurance. So, what did we do? We drove BEATERS!

Here are my four BEATERS:

#1: A 65 Dodge polara, my first car, white, with lots of rust. During the psyhchedelic period of the 60's, we (me and friends) decided to paint the car. We used latex paint, because it was cheaper. First, we made a grid of 5 inch squares in black outline, then filled in the squares with red, blue, green, orange, yellow, and left some white. The car looked like a rolling monopoly board.

One day, in #1, I turned the key to start the thing, and it did start, but the bendix did not disengage. So I shut the car off, and called my local electrical genius friend. After explaining the problem, he came up with this solution.

A knife switch was screwed to the dashboard above the glove compartment, right into the vinyl. You know, the porcelian base stuff with the copper contacts when we learned about electricity in 7th or 8th grade. Wires were run to the battery on one side of the switch, and to the starter on the other.

The starting instructions were to "insert the key and turn the car on to ON, not START. Flip the switch from the left to the right, engaging the starter. After starting, reverse the switch position to disengage the starter." This worked great, as I did not have anywhere near the huge sum of $50 for a starter when I worked at McDonalds at $1.25 per hour.

The only problem here was that I had about 400 amps sitting about 16" away from me, so it was not the safest solution to the problem.

Still to come, my 64 pontiac tempest with no heater in Chicago, and my 69 Impala with really, really bad tires and no money. And the piece de resistance, my 49 plymouth, that we bought for 10$, $5 each. That thing was built like a tank!

Now, lets hear about yours. This should be fun...
Old 07-30-2003, 02:30 PM
I'm Cool

good story, i wish i could contribute to this thread, but my CL was the first car.
Old 07-30-2003, 02:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

92 Subaru Loyal
i think these ran about 8k new
i got it with 131k on it
it did have nice features like power windows that only 2 of the for worked and a dent in every body pannel exept the hood
drove it for about 2 years before the engine block cracked
Old 07-30-2003, 02:48 PM
I now drive an accord....

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1st car:
'83 Chevy Cavalier
This car broke down at least every other week. I think I had replaced every thing in the engine bay and under the car when I finally sold it to my cousin and she totaled it two weeks later.

2nd car:
'87 Honda CRX
This car was a blast and got me started in the import scene. Only problem I ever had was with the carb and CV joints. I worked on that thing all the time and was pretty much perfect when I got rid of it.

3rd car:
'93 Nissan Sentra
My current mods to this are listed in my sig. Also as it states this is my winter and city car. With my Blizzak winter tires I have made it up hills in this car that 4x4's have stopped at Its also great being able to whip into a parking spot and not worry about who I parked next too.
Old 07-30-2003, 02:51 PM
AKA MaxGeek

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The CL is my first car too. Well the first on I can call my own. I did share/barrow a honda CR-V with my sister for about six months before I had a CL though.
Old 07-30-2003, 03:19 PM
Drifting

#2 was a 49 plymouth two door, me and a friend bought it for $10 $5 each. This was one sturdy car. Not fast, and ugly as sin, but there are fond memories about "grocery store dueling" with shopping carts. Very reminiscent to the old days of jousting in England at your local Jewel (kroger, whatever.)

We used to line up at oppositte sides of the parking lot, and run at each other. Our "torpedos" were shopping carts. My main rival was an MGB, much more maneuverable, but much less crash resistant.

It still amazes me to this day that the 49 plymouth could reduce a welded shopping cart into just a bunch of twisted wires. The paint got scratched, but dented metal, never!

We also used to turn the windshield washers 90 degrees to the right, so we could spray people walking down the sidewalk. Man, I miss those days. Right now, I am so responsible.
Old 07-30-2003, 03:28 PM
Drifting

i drove an 86 accord around for about a year or two. a hand-me-down from my older sister...about 10 years later. it was the model year where the headlights flipped up. anyways, it used to be parked in very bad residential neighborhoods, and people seemed to mistake it for a urinal. so the hood had many a discoloration in it. irreversible. anywho, the thing i will never forget about that car was that at night, when you turn on the headlights, only the left one would pop up because people sat on the right one; so to get it to pop up, id have to open my door, reach out and bang on the hood like crazy until i released it from the clutches of death. on the odd side, i didnt mind that, and it was actually a great novelty. i actually liked it.
Old 07-30-2003, 03:30 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 957 Likes on 328 Posts
this thing

but I turned it into this so it's all good

Old 07-30-2003, 03:39 PM
4-8-15-16-23-42

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
76 impala -tank!!! my cl could almost fit in the trunk black in and out - with batman logos on the doors and wheels like the original -party machine
85 or so datsun 310gx -- very economical and at the time somewhat sporty and very reliable until one day i didn't have coolent and it started to overheat so i poured a gallon of distilled water ON the engine block to cool it off -needless to say, it cracked!!! young and dumb!!!
86 toyoata corola very reliable -- only problem - horn would blow if you turned right
87 toyota cressida --awesome at the time
87 or so dodge daytona -eco version - nice but blah - kind of a gift
86 porsche 944 turbo -not really mine but i had it for about a 1/2 year - A BLAST!!!
can't remeber year but v6 fiero --- i know but it was fun a lot of fun actually - rear engine low - fun
95 mazda 626 4cyl - nice but boring
97 mazda 626 es V6 -- very nice at the time
1997 CL (-:
i know i forgot some )-:
Old 07-30-2003, 03:48 PM

I still have my beater, a 1987 Jeep Cherokee. Body looks really bad , but it is rock solid mechanically. My hobby as well as my last job was that of mechanic. My jeep has 266K miles and has 40psi oil pressure at idle, and 65psi oil pressure at open throttle. It doesn't leak a bit of oil as I replaced all the engine gaskets as my summer project. The fun never ceases with the jeep, always something new to fix. Time to shift my funds back to the TL-S though.
Old 07-30-2003, 04:13 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,834 Likes on 2,576 Posts
Ahh cars...

#1 1985 BMW 528e - Spent all summer working in a movie theater to pay for it. 110K on the odo. I loved this beast, it was such a tank. Never had any real problems for 4 years cept normal wear and tear. Drove from NC to LA for an internship and boom problems here and there, all little things, still loved taking the car through the canyons runs. Ended up selling her to cars for cash and getting my next car back east...

#2 89 honda accord lxi - great little car. My dad had just bought new car and was selling this one so i got it ( only reason i even considered selling my bimmer) My pops fixed it up for me with a new sound system and refurbishing it. Drove like a fun little dream for a year till i hit a deer and rolled it...totalled

#3 89 prelude Si - LOVED THIS CAR, i had always wanted a prelude (and i couldnt afford the 300zx i found) and I started selling hondas around the I totalled the accord. One of my co workers was selling it for his son and I snagged it. Had all the records, totally maintained. I loved this car. Drove it out to LA when i moved here. Sadly, 1 year later i got totalled t-boned by a speeding ambulance, car was SMASHED, and somehow i walked away clean. I tried to find a 5th gen lude, but of course they were all ss trannies, phhht. wanted a is300, RSX, or WRX but the insurance was too much. Found this immaculate 1st gen CL with a 5spd with super low miles (99 with 25K) on an acura lot and drove it home that night.

Guess ive never really had a "beater" but im sure some people would call the accord and the older lude "slumming" it. I loved all my cars though. the bimmer and the lude the best!
Old 07-30-2003, 04:34 PM
9.5 lbs o' Boost!!!!

I wish I could tell you guys that I had a shity car but my first car is the the Cl-S!
Old 07-30-2003, 04:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 719 Likes on 201 Posts
'77 Olds Omega
'87 Celica GT
'89 Camry
'01 CL-s
'03 350z
Old 07-30-2003, 04:43 PM
Advanced

Damn I had a 74 Toyota corolla SR-5 that i wound up pulling the 1.6 liter out of it and replaced it with the 3tc 1.8. The old thing already came with close gear ratio transmission because of the 1.6 and 411 gears in the back so i went with a bronze clutch ,welded pressure plate,header,ported and polished head, and finished it off with side draft weber carbs. I tell you the thing was REALLY fast. It had no floor cause it so rusted out, but it was fast!....lol
Old 07-30-2003, 04:48 PM
Where is my super sauce?

My first car was a 1972 Opel 1900 wagon. For those of you that don't know, Opel is a German GM product. In the late 1960s & early 1970s GM tried selling Opels in the US through Buick dealers (the most recent Opel product to hit these shores was the rebadged Cadillac Catera). Mine was somewhat of a POS, but it did last about 10 years at which point nearly every operating system in the car simultaneosly decomposed.

In the tradition of German automobiles, the Opel had significant electrical problems from early on. Several gremlin lived within the electrical system and I had to drive around with a case of buss fuses so I could replace a blown one every 10 or 12 minutes while on the road.

The seats were made of fine imported vinyl that one stuck too easily in the California sun. There was a non-functional A/C that was installed by the dealer as an option.

Here is a picture of the beauty (from an advertisement).

Picture mine in a Sky Blue, something like this:
Old 07-30-2003, 04:56 PM
Advanced

hey I'd kinda wouldnt mind having that mint brown one right now!....rotfl
Old 07-30-2003, 05:00 PM
Spectacular Aroma About

Re: This ought to be fun...SHARE YOUR BEATER EXPERIENCES!

Originally posted by dfreder370
#1: A 65 Dodge polara, my first car, white, with lots of rust. During the psyhchedelic period of the 60's, we (me and friends) decided to paint the car. We used latex paint, because it was cheaper.
That reminds me of my buddy's beater. He had a '65 Polara also except his was painted flat black with a Confederate flag on the roof.

My most memorable beater was my 1968 Dodge Coronet 440. Sounds great but the 440 model designation was not powered by the 440 engine. Mine was a 4 door with a slant 6. You could fit about 8 people in it and it got about 25 mpg. For mods I painted the grill black. lowered the front by lossening the torsion bar adjusters and I also had a Super Bee stripe painted on the trunk. It also had several body tweeks from mowing down fences, putting on a fireworks show on a guardrail and driving through cornfeilds. That car was indestructible! I was very hard on cars back then and it was the only car I actually sold still running.
Old 07-30-2003, 05:53 PM
Racer

My first was a '77 Chevy Concours, in 1988. Now, those of you in the know will know that this was the "upscale" version of the infamous Chevy Nova. A brief description:
1977 Chevy Concours
Snow White, with a red half-vinyl roof
Red vinyl interior, front bench seat (with folding armrest)
250cc (4.0L) Straight Six rated at 105hp (yes, 105 hp)
One barrel Carb
3-speed Auto
Snow tires on the rears, which rubbed the wells when turning

Now, most people would have opted for a big V-8 in this situation. For some reason, I loved the car on the lot and went for it (overlooking the '69 Riviera sitting in the back of the lot).

First time I changed the oil, found out that the filter had "vulcanized" onto the engine block. Ended up ripping away the filter to get at the filter holes to crank the thing off.

I once time the 0-60 on a nice flat road at ~16.7 seconds. Now, the float in the carb started sticking, and when it did, the car would stall. I had to get out, hit the carb with a wrench to free the float, and continue driving until it stuck again.

Braking? The pedal would routinely hit the floor with no braking apparent. In this instance, you'd have to be aware enough to pump the pedal a few times to get it to grab. Difficult to explain when you hit your parents' garage door.

Had to replace a leaf spring in the rear. Ever have to do that? It's a bitch.

Ended up rear-ending someone while looking at a chick walking down the sidewalk. Sold it to a junkyard for $50. I may have gotten the better end of the deal.
Old 07-30-2003, 06:01 PM
ex 6 Speed owner :(

'76 Jeep cherokee (11mpg but that thing could go anywhere!)
'82 Civic (the Silver bullet!), shared with brother
'89 Toyota 1/2 ton (delievered pizza in high-school)
'90 Accord (dad bought new, I took over in 1995, still running strong!)
'03 CL
Old 07-30-2003, 06:10 PM
Racer

OMG

I bought a 1987 Chrysler Lebaron GTS when I was 16 for a thousand dollars. I busted my ass all summer just to buy it. It had 130,000 miles on it at the time...I traded it in 2 years ago for a 98 Saturn SL1...they gave me 800 dollars for it!...it had 230,000 miles on it! Near the end of it's life, the heater went, parts were falling off left and right. It was so jacked up I had to keep one foot on the brake, and one on the gas at a stop light so it would'nt stall. It was quite the hooptie, but I loved it. I was such a dork, I put a system in it, fog lights, custom pinstripping, a chrome tip, chrome hubcaps, and an alarm system. It did'nt look bad..just drove bad!
now I look back and laugh because I make fun of the kids that do that to junk! Oh well, I'm riding in style now!
Old 07-30-2003, 06:15 PM
PACDAT

88 civic LX with 1.5L and 75HP!! woohoo.. it still went though. Still can go 180Km/h

91 G2 integra RS. Miss that car.. fun car.
Old 07-30-2003, 06:22 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
1960 Plymoth Valient station wagon/Slant 6 300,000 miles plus
1959 VW Bug
1972 VW Bus
1973 VW Bus
1981 VW Rabbit truck
1984 Honda CRX (purchased new)
1991 Honda Civic SI (purchased new)
1998 Honda Accord EX-V6 (purchased new-still have)
2001 Acura CLS (Purchased new-current)
Old 07-30-2003, 06:33 PM
Homeless

80 chevy citation, over 200K miles.
80 Toyota tercel...green...
83 chevy camaro with mixed matched fenders.
Old 07-30-2003, 06:48 PM
Banned

my first car was a baby blue 1986 Mazda 626..........it ran great, everything was perfect, except for the paint on the trunk was pretty faded........it was going along really well until one day i took it into a Jiffy Lube to get the oil changed.......to make a long story short, i had to find out going 90mph down I-4 that they forgot to put the plug back in, and all the oil drained out of the engine.

12yr old car + 90mph + no oil = blown engine

on the rare occasions i see one driving around, my eyes still mist up
Old 07-30-2003, 06:55 PM
Advanced

86 Honda Prelude SI

When I came back from korea I spent my hard earned army money on a 86' Honda Prelude SI. It was nice when I bought it. Then the muffler fell off some side swiped me and my tail lights stopped working but I still put a heavy duty racing clutch in it. I had a killer system but the exhaust was louder than the speakers. My prelude also put alot cars to rest. I sure did love that car.
Old 07-30-2003, 07:05 PM
Full-Time IDIoT---DoH!!!

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
1st car was 95 integra

loved that car
Old 07-30-2003, 07:19 PM
Suzuka Master

my 1st car that I got was a 90 legend. Loved the thing to death. Had a system, took off the center caps to make it look like rims, had YES BLACK ELECTRICAL TAPE on the headlight and cut out two circles to make it look like the bmw headlights. had green interior lights. and a set of piaa 1000X fog lights that I jacked from another car. 1/2 the things on this car was stolen. - radio, fog lights blah blah.

then one morning my car was stolen and found in dc 2 months later. I guess what goes around comes around. Havn't done any crudy shit since then.

My 2nd car that was 100% mine was a 94 escort GT. yes it was a GT model, even though the rest of the world including all my friend still called it a escort.

it looked exactly like this but in red

The thing would smoke civic ex's at the time. The car was extremly fun to drive and had no problems at all. and even had 4 disc brakes. I had painted put a coffe can exhuast tip on and spray painted the perfectly fine rims w/ chrome spray paint which flaked off in about 2 months. The front end also had a set of piaa 1000x that I stole along time ago when I had the legend so 4 fog lights. The engine had a k&n intake w/ a custom cold air piping made out of plastic pipes from home depot. One time I hit 120 with 4 people in the car with a bunch of fishing gear. I then missed the exit so hit the brakes and came to a complete stop. The brakes where soo heated up and started smoking. My dumb ass friend goes to the trunk gets the bottled spring water and pours it all over the brakes. a week later they all warped.

Then one day in my highskool parking lot the our crossing ladies stupid ass son decides ram his banna boat into the passenger side of my door. The skool cop comes and instantly gets on his side and says its no ones fault as it happened in a parking lot. WTF!!! So I drive around w/ a fucked up bent door that wont' even open and had my girlfriend @ the time climb in from the driver side. REAL PIMP!
A month later Im driving down this road to get to work, and see this nice ass bmw 5 series right next to me. I'm going over a hill and this car is going exactlly the same speed, so my eyes are glued on this car.
As I come over the hill I kinda see this tracktor trailer in the fast lane right in front of me. It kinda looked like it was going slow but couldn't see its brake lights. I contnue to drive and stare at the 5. next thing you know the fucken tracktor trailer was broken down on the fast lane just chilling.
I slam on the brakes and try to swerve right but for some odd fooken reason the 5 series slows down too, I didn't want to hit that car so i just kept mashing the brakes going forward. Everything happened in slow motion and I turned last minute i and rammed in to the back of the trailer taking out 1/4 of the front of my car and totaling it. I didn't have my seat belts on so I my body flew forward, OVER the deployed airbag broke the windshield w/ my chin and then i got thrown back in my seat. My entire left arm gets burned from the airbag and my right foot got twisted or something from the impact on the brake pedal when I hit the truck. I also had braces so I get out of the car w/ a bloody mouth, scraped up arm and fucked up foot. 15 min later the my fucken SKOOL COP shows up. SAME COP that saw my accident @ skool. He immediatly blames me and i get shiited.

next car, after I get some insurance money for my beloved 94 escort GT I got a 89 maxima w/ the heads up display speed o and electronic guage. The only wierd thing was the fooken guage woludn't light up when the car was cold, so for about 15 min I would be drving around w/ a completly black speedo. The AC in the car was leaking so every 4 months I had to get more freeon {SP}?. I loved the car and waxed it every week. I managed to scavange the piaa 1000x from the totaled escort and put them on my maxima. I also had some tint I put on the door windows and 1/2 of PURPLE tint going through the rear window. The really good thing was the passenger seat titled back ALL the way , about 160% so banged my share of hgihskool girls in there. in the front I also installed some shades that u can just pull together w/ velcro. PIMPP shit. hehe. I loved the v6 and would always race it. one day racing my cousins 98 GSX we crashed into each other and totaled the maxima. I loved the car soo much I actually got the thing all repaired. car was worth 3500, cost me 5200 to fix. I drove this beater for about 1 year and then finally got the TypeS in 08/2000 and sold it in 04/2003 .
Old 07-30-2003, 08:01 PM
Drifting

joe you jackass
Old 07-30-2003, 08:05 PM
Fuct in the hed!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I had a 1990 Cavalier....It was powder blue with a powder blue interior, the air worked, so that was good. It had 97K miles when I bought it....and I sold it with 157K miles. I had this MINT 93 Cobra sitting in the garage and it always seemed that a car full of hot women would pull up next to me when I was in the beater.
Old 07-30-2003, 08:13 PM

my first car was a 90 maxima....i loved that car...it racked up 350K miles on the original engine wifh no major problems..just the usualy tune-ups and oil change....i put a system in it and some 17's...that ride was pimp....i call her maxi...but some called her the legend..
Old 07-30-2003, 08:22 PM
SHIFT_over.so.I.can.see

Mine was a 1984 Pontiac 6000. It was a Canadian made model that my dad brought from Ottawa when we came to Texas back '84. When I got it in 1998 it had 255K miles. The car was a beautiful "doo-doo" brown with an alluring cloth interior that puffed smoke when you sat on it. The roof carpeting dropped just right to keep my head warm during the winters. Eventually some bastard got rid of my headwarmer with a staple gun to the roof. On hot summer days my "doo-doo" mobile would stall out at stop lights and the kind people behind me would yell obscenities and give me the finger for stopping traffic. I drove that car for a year and a half before I bought my first car.

THE END.
Old 07-30-2003, 08:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
What comes to mind was a Suzuki 250 dirt bike / 2 stroke I had about 25 years ago. This bike was old, rattled, had huge knobby tires that I was running on the road and worse, smoked like hell.

I would sit at a light and sweat as this thing put so much smoke out, you could barely see me after a while. I was terrified a cop would come but and write me up. All my friends used to laugh at me. Bastards!!

But guess who has the last laugh now??
Old 07-31-2003, 04:13 AM
Someday pigs WILL fly!

I own a beater now.....91 Ford Explorer.... goes through anything!
Old 07-31-2003, 04:28 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
I can say I NEVER had a beater car. I had some old trucks, but those were daily drivers, & were not beat on.
Old 07-31-2003, 04:53 AM
nothing

'91 bright red caddy deville, booyah
Old 07-31-2003, 05:16 AM
Three Wheelin'

My first car was a Chrysler Lebaron Conv.

This thing over the few years was soo much fun. Used to Collect Street Signs, or fill the back seat up with Water Balloons and go driving around.

One day after cruising the night away with the best buds, the drivers door fell off from hoping over them all the time. The Pins snapped.

Another time ( the stupid things you'll do with the girl in the car ) she and he friends were in the car, packed about 8 deep. So we were driving and there was this big bump. She said don't worry its not bad. Well next thing I know we were a bit airborne. Then when landing it, it bottomed out, the hood popped open, and wouln't close. The frame was bent up. And it would go though a quart of oil every day. I didn't care I was a Junior in HS.

Last the gaskets went, and the car would overheat, after sitting for a few with the car, we would have to drive like a bat out of hell to cool it down out of the red zone.

I loved that car, was so much fun, and TONS of memories with my best friends whom we are still best of friends even though we live different places.
Old 07-31-2003, 06:36 AM
still a Masshole

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had a 96 Galant S for about 4 years before I bought the TLS. The tranny was starting to go on that car as well before I traded it in for the TL.
Old 07-31-2003, 10:28 AM
Cruisin'

1974 Chevy Vega with 90K miles for $600.

When I turned 16, I was foolish and bought the first beater with a manual transmission I could find. Sheepskin seat covers because the vinyl was all tore up. Black paint, no air conditioning. It ran for about 3 weeks until the head gasket blew. At least I learned how to tear apart an engine and get it running again. I thought I was cool. I didn't realize what a beater it was at the time. 2.3L and only 85HP.

Many of the cars listed here don't exactly sound like beaters. You can't really appreciate how nice the CL-S is unless you have drive a piece of crap. I still get to drive a beater every now and then. What about the ford focus you get from the car rental companies when you are traveling. Makes me really appreciate my CL-S.
Old 07-31-2003, 12:02 PM
Safety Car

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally posted by Katana18
my first car was a baby blue 1986 Mazda 626..........it ran great, everything was perfect, except for the paint on the trunk was pretty faded........it was going along really well until one day i took it into a Jiffy Lube to get the oil changed.......to make a long story short, i had to find out going 90mph down I-4 that they forgot to put the plug back in, and all the oil drained out of the engine.

12yr old car + 90mph + no oil = blown engine

on the rare occasions i see one driving around, my eyes still mist up
That's why I never go there, its always either finger tight, or impacted on with those fockers.
Old 07-31-2003, 12:55 PM
Balla on a Budget

A 1998 Honda civic HX for Me, and it was brand spankin new!

Quick Reply: This ought to be fun...SHARE YOUR BEATER EXPERIENCES!