OT: How many of you expect to be screwed by the Tax Man?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2001, 09:35 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OT: How many of you expect to be screwed by the Tax Man?

My wife and I did our taxes last night, and man am I depressed. Dual income married couple with no kids, "DINKS" (at least we have a house for a little tax relief) are completely screwed at this time of the year.

I live in California and we both work in professional jobs, so we make a decent living. We take the maximum charitable deductions we can by law. Hell, we even have some losses on stocks...but we still owe 8G's (after paying $35G's to Feds alone)...sometimes you wonder if it even makes sense to continue to strive for that better job, more pay, etc.

The worst thing, I was all set to buy a 66' Mustang Convertible with 85,000 orig miles from the original "grandma" owner. It even has the original black plates and now I've been veteod To give you an idea of how depressing this is, I've subscribed to Mustang Monthly for the past 8 years and not owned one...just waiting for the right one to come by...what crappy timing.

I hope this email doesn't come across as poor me or condescending, I'm very fortunate for everything in my life. This is just a glimpse for you guys on your way to successful careers who are nearing the age to settle down......back those politicians who want to reform or tax laws

------------------
2001 CL-S, Silver Satin. Soon to include Comptech headers
Old 02-05-2001, 09:38 PM
Instructor

I get loot back..I cant wait..
Old 02-05-2001, 09:42 PM
Race Director

I always get a [big] refund. Single, no kids, the Fed owes me because I pay way too much in Federal taxes anyway.

Plus I have to pay income tax in Kansas, Missouri, and Kansas City so I get State refunds, too.

What shall I buy, perhaps new rims and sways or just headers?

------------------
* 2001 Acura CL Type S * Blk/Blk * Navigator * Spoiler * Moonroof Visor * V1 *
* Since 3/31/2000 *
* Road Warrior *

* 500 posts on h/a.net *** 400 posts "insane poster" on the "old" acura-cl.com *
Old 02-05-2001, 09:51 PM
10th Gear

Oh, I didn't even think about you guys who are going to buy go-fast goodies for your CL's. Lucky bastards!

------------------
2001 CL-S, Silver Satin. Soon to include Comptech headers
Old 02-05-2001, 10:09 PM
Instructor

Well I better be gettin back some money from the tax man, darn Federal gov't can probably put a nice down payment for a new car. Alo I just moved to NC and had to pay a highway tax that was 3% of the value of my new Acura, that was a bunch of crap.

------------------
2001 3.2CL-Type S, No Navig., Satin Silver
Old 02-05-2001, 10:11 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 978 Likes on 330 Posts
:raiseshand:

well maybe not, since i'm a student

------------------
"the needle got buried at 140.....1,500 RPM later...the tach got buried"

pays to be young and crazy

99 3.0 CL
55 Chevy Suburban (chopped, dropped, tubbed and FLAME RETARDENT!!)

58 Eldorado Biarritz
Old 02-05-2001, 11:15 PM
Suzuka Master

<--------- Full time student and full time working last year. I get like 2g's in credit plus 1500 back. Hell yeahhhhhhh!!! guess i don't have to wait for the summer to get some more mods.

------------------
CL-S
White/Ebony/Navi/Spoiler/Visor/Full Bra/Mud Guards/Cargo Net/Acura Car Cover/Tint 20%,35%,5% on Sun Roof, Rockford 250a2 Amp w/JL10w6 / K&N Drop in Filter. Comptech Springs. Polarg m-6.
Comptech Headers, Comptech Sways, Eurolite Xenon Crystal high beams.
AEM CAI once they decide to make the dame thing.
235/40/17's or 225/45/17's once I found out which one works for me.

gtech 0-60 6.03 w/ 438 pound load. preheader.
Old 02-05-2001, 11:23 PM
Intermediate

Last year, market was good, I owed them 8K.

This year market not good, they owe me 5K. I hate taxes, but I liked 1999 better. (Helped me get my CL. )

------------------
'01 Naples Gold CL-P
Old 02-06-2001, 12:29 AM
Three Wheelin'

Hmmm... I don't know what I'm doing right... but after my tax refund this year, I'm paying 8.6% of my GROSS income in FEDERAL taxes this year. Now, that's just FEDERAL, not including state, local, Soc sec, medicare taxes, etc. But still... it seems like nothing to me! And good 'ol Dumbya is gonna push through an even bigger tax cut????

Okay... twist my arm!

BTW, I'm 30, single, no kids and I own a home. My income is quite modest however.... maybe that's it??
Old 02-06-2001, 12:40 AM
Team Owner

Last year I had to pay in over 8K because of Engineering “moonlight” consulting I did.

This year I expect to get back around 2K because I upped my withholding from my full-time job, paid more estimated taxes and didn’t do as much side work.

Shawn S

------------------
Speed limits are for CARS and DRIVERS whose limits are easily exceeded !!!!!

2001 CL Type S - NAV - San Marino RED / Parchment - Spoiler - 35% Tint - Roof Visor - PIAA Lamps
GOLD Emblems & Grill - V1 w/remote - KICKER ZR-360 w/(2) 10" Alumapro Subs - Shine by ZAINO
For Pictures see: PAGE 1 PAGE 2 PAGE 3 PAGE 4 V1 & SUBS
Old 02-06-2001, 12:44 AM
Advanced

I don't pay estimated taxes so I pay every april 15th. But I don't consider it being screwed. You have to monitor your income/cap gains/tax payments throughout the year and adjust as necessary if you don't want to pay. I want to pay cause it means I had a loan from the IRS for free. Well not really cause I have to pay the underpayment penalty every year. But it is still a cheap loan.

I had to pay $105k last year, this year was a bad year only have to pay $25k.

------------------
South Jersey: 2001 Acura CL-s Gold with navi/spoiler/splashguards/V1/w/cdu
stock 1/4 mile 14.698sec@95.91mph
Atco Raceway 12/1/00
Old 02-06-2001, 12:56 AM
My other car is a 350Z

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by CLebrationS:
My wife and I did our taxes last night, and man am I depressed. Dual income married couple with no kids, "DINKS" (at least we have a house for a little tax relief) are completely screwed at this time of the year.

I live in California and we both work in professional jobs, so we make a decent living. We take the maximum charitable deductions we can by law. Hell, we even have some losses on stocks...but we still owe 8G's (after paying $35G's to Feds alone)...sometimes you wonder if it even makes sense to continue to strive for that better job, more pay, etc.

The worst thing, I was all set to buy a 66' Mustang Convertible with 85,000 orig miles from the original "grandma" owner. It even has the original black plates and now I've been veteod To give you an idea of how depressing this is, I've subscribed to Mustang Monthly for the past 8 years and not owned one...just waiting for the right one to come by...what crappy timing.

I hope this email doesn't come across as poor me or condescending, I'm very fortunate for everything in my life. This is just a glimpse for you guys on your way to successful careers who are nearing the age to settle down......back those politicians who want to reform or tax laws

</font>
I feel your pain, CLebrationS. I'm a fellow DINK have been in exactly the same situation as you.

My wife and I both make a decent living and she will pass me in income this year. We started withholding a shitload more taxes from our paychecks last year so maybe we won't get reamed as bad year.

At least we live in Sacratomato where the cost of living (for California) is relatively affordable.

Do you know any SAC area CL owners who might be interested in a weekend meet? You're the first poster beside myself I've seen on this board from the "Big Tomato".

Mike

------------------
001 Satin Silver CL-S / PIAA 19169

"Never underestimate the power of a dark CLown!" --- Darph Bobo
Old 02-06-2001, 01:05 AM
Team Owner

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by rdsandy:
I had to pay $105k last year, this year was a bad year only have to pay $25k.

</font>
I sure hope your not looking for pity.
I would LOVE to have to pay over 100K in taxes.

Shawn S

------------------
Speed limits are for CARS and DRIVERS whose limits are easily exceeded !!!!!

2001 CL Type S - NAV - San Marino RED / Parchment - Spoiler - 35% Tint - Roof Visor - PIAA Lamps
GOLD Emblems & Grill - V1 w/remote - KICKER ZR-360 w/(2) 10" Alumapro Subs - Shine by ZAINO
For Pictures see: PAGE 1 PAGE 2 PAGE 3 PAGE 4 V1 & SUBS
Old 02-06-2001, 01:53 AM
Intermediate

Normally I am fairly reserved. On the subject of my taxes year 2000. @@## **#&@@ &@&^$#( )($)$)$ (@*$#& &$&$&@^ )^%(%*&@& !^^ &@*&$#@*# $&@^%!% $*@#&^ *&@&#& !!!!!!!!!!!

------------------
2001 White/parchment CL-S
Spoiler,muds,& roof visor