Option Pulley final questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 04:33 PM
lowrd on tein CS biatch

Received 138 Likes on 124 Posts
if you compared the 2 pulleys oem to optionUR... I think the amount of less spinning that is generated would not be that easily compensated by the smaller pulley on the S/C, cause it'd have to be pretty darn small i think.

I agree it possible.. but practical, no

also you must remember the motor is TAKING power (moreso inertia) from the motor to drive the supercharger.... that inertia you LOSE will adding the lightweight pulley may actually HINDER performance (assuming you had the same spining rate on the S/C)

NO ONE ever thinks about the internal inertia of their cars. i dunno why

like a flywheel, great for the first 3 maybe 4 gears, BUT I GUARANTEE the motor is slow top end in 5th and 6th... maybe even 4th

Cause i added a flywheel to my probe 2 years ago and I LOST 20km/h top speed. I blamed the motor until it dawned on me that it occured ever since the flywheel swap.

and from now on I am and will always be conciencious of the inertia factor.

kinda like how a small car with a hp/weight ratio of (lets say) 10, will actually be slower than the heavier car with the same HP/weight ratio.

there's simply more inertia to break the wind and keep on trucking.??

hopefully I opened some eyes, cause it took me 8-900 on a flywheel and install to figure that shit out.
Old 11-20-2009, 05:45 PM
wham bam thank you ma'am

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts
just put on a light weight pulley.

i just recieved the under drive pulley, now im just looking for some type s heads/ valves (but heads but be an easier swap) and go and dyno
Old 11-20-2009, 05:58 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,392 Likes on 4,937 Posts
Originally Posted by friesm2000
nice DOTS

they look like all the belt pulleys
and btw don't you need to add one or two for the s/c guys (i don't have FI on mine , but i want some at somepoint)
Wise ass

And yes, they were the belt pulleys. I did that awhile ago in another pulley install thread.

Originally Posted by CL-S progression 01
if you compared the 2 pulleys oem to optionUR... I think the amount of less spinning that is generated would not be that easily compensated by the smaller pulley on the S/C, cause it'd have to be pretty darn small i think.

also you must remember the motor is TAKING power (moreso inertia) from the motor to drive the supercharger.... that inertia you LOSE will adding the lightweight pulley may actually HINDER performance (assuming you had the same spining rate on the S/C)

like a flywheel, great for the first 3 maybe 4 gears, BUT I GUARANTEE the motor is slow top end in 5th and 6th... maybe even 4th

Cause i added a flywheel to my probe 2 years ago and I LOST 20km/h top speed. I blamed the motor until it dawned on me that it occured ever since the flywheel swap.

kinda like how a small car with a hp/weight ratio of (lets say) 10, will actually be slower than the heavier car with the same HP/weight ratio.

hopefully I opened some eyes, cause it took me 8-900 on a flywheel and install to figure that shit out.
What?

Its a bit more complex then just weight; as gearing, tire sizes, weather, power delivery and most importantly aerodynamics come into play.

Also, my 2 previous cars (88 Civic hatch and 94 Prelude VTEC) have both had lightweight flywheels. There was no decrease in top speed. It simply revved faster and was more responsive.
Old 11-20-2009, 06:09 PM
B A N N E D

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

don't quite get your whole inertia to be faster thing, but ok i believe you

i would say more inertia would definetly help in getting off the line with a manual in that it be harder to bog down the motor when you drop the clutch
also more inertia help dampens the vibrations from the motor too
and more inertia would help with everyday driving of a manual, in that it would help to keep the motor from bogging/stalling when you are not very precise with the clutch

otherwise i would say less inertia is better if you are looking to increase available power, cause it consumes less power to accelerate it
Old 11-20-2009, 06:59 PM
wham bam thank you ma'am

i still dont know how ur probe lost mph. ppl with cl's had nothing but good luck. except for the comptech clutch set up and a light weight crank pulley. not a good match at all.
Old 11-20-2009, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Rajca
i still dont know how ur probe lost mph. ppl with cl's had nothing but good luck. except for the comptech clutch set up and a light weight crank pulley. not a good match at all.
Yeah, theres no way to have lost mph with just the flywheel.
Old 11-20-2009, 09:37 PM
lowrd on tein CS biatch

i dun't care what you guys say... that's what happened... and I GPS'ed them KMs so i know my speedo wasn't fucked

car use to go 220, then only went 200 BARELY

it was soooo evident. cause the car didn't have much balz up top so the intertia factor was massive.
Shifts feel much weirder tho cause the clutch grabs it so well it yanks the motor/flywheel/transmission/revs back to the next gears rpms without any transition which helps the wear on the clutch but fucks up the shifting process so technically, it's faster with a heavy flywheel.

I have a OLD friend (56yrs old) raced for 20 years, drag, and stock cars.

He use to build his motors and tranny for every race, and he went through all the testing... and even he told me it will worsen ur 1/4 mile (he told me this 5 days after getting the flywheel!! WHY WOULD I B.S and make myself look like a fool for spending 900?) simply cause of the bogging effect in that you are stealing ur motor's inertia when u actually shift. each gear is like starting from that gear in a roll... there is NO flow if you will anymore.. that's where ur time is lost.

And.. do any of you commenting have or have had a flywheel added on? plz don't tell me ur shooting me wisdom from stuff u've heard or read. Cause i kinda got proof., that's a lil more concrete

that's why you pick up speed faster IN gears 1,2,3.. but not off the line or switching gears, which is a lot of space for time to be lost.

shifting with a lightened flywheel everyday is a breeze unless u suck at clutching, or simpy are lazy, which most ppl do/are, but hey I'm not pointing any fingers, i'm just saying what i've seen in person.... pathetic
Old 11-20-2009, 09:42 PM
lowrd on tein CS biatch

but hey if I am full of shit.... buy a flywheel, spend a grand... go to the track and see if you get a better time. I think you'll be sadly dissapointed

flywheels just make the car act like more like a race car. fast when u gas it..and easy on the clutch and main bearings since the lightened mass reduces a lot of internal stress.

so if you love shifting up and down and mashing gears on corners all the time... this will save you money in the long run..

but for all you speed demons, ur pissing money out the drain. sorry
Old 11-20-2009, 10:47 PM
wham bam thank you ma'am

^thats what im goona do. a light weight fly wheel is just like a light weight pulley. ur taking off weight, engine spins faster, and some hidden power will be released.
Old 11-20-2009, 11:30 PM
lowrd on tein CS biatch

hope you like it a lot cause it's really something that's over the top in $ and in effect.

not saying you won't find it exciting.. but practical and effective for $... hell no.

could you do a top speed run b4 and after please?

see if u get the same result with a more powerful car... maybe it was cause my probe had like 170tq and like 190hp.
Old 11-21-2009, 09:07 AM
wham bam thank you ma'am

ill try to get some top speed after runs. right now my car has bent valves and dont want to push it that high at such a high speed

i got they underdrive pulley from option, and im gonna say that its just a bit heavier than the oem size light weigh pulley
Old 11-21-2009, 09:21 AM
Waits for Shakira in his

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey thanks for the DOTTED picture lol that really helped they rescheduled my package so i have to wait till this weekend goes by.
Old 11-21-2009, 10:21 AM
3.7L Nitrous Breathing CL

Received 160 Likes on 140 Posts
Originally Posted by Rajca
^that's what im goona do. a light weight fly wheel is just like a light weight pulley. ur taking off weight, engine spins faster, and some hidden power will be released.
The light weight flywheel will act like the light weight pulley off the line.
Going up hills or letting of the gas in between shifts will drop rpms thou.
Because there's less weight keeping the crank rotating.
It will rev quicker but rpms will drop faster when you let off the revs than a stock fly wheel.
Old 11-21-2009, 10:22 AM
wham bam thank you ma'am

but boost will fix that
Old 11-21-2009, 10:30 AM
B A N N E D

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by richardparker
The light weight flywheel will act like the light weight pulley off the line.
Going up hills or letting of the gas in between shifts will drop rpms thou.
Because there's less weight keeping the crank rotating.
It will rev quicker but rpms will drop faster when you let off the revs than a stock fly wheel.
true, but it will also let the engine match the needed revs for the next gear faster too, which also can make it easier on the clutch to speed up or slow down the engine as needed if you are not perfect with matching the revs during shifts
Old 11-21-2009, 11:05 AM
wham bam thank you ma'am

i think im gonna put my underdrive pulley on today
Old 11-21-2009, 12:41 PM

And.. do any of you commenting have or have had a flywheel added on? plz don't tell me ur shooting me wisdom from stuff u've heard or read. Cause i kinda got proof., that's a lil more concrete
I said in my last post that my previous two cars (1988 Civic and 1994 Prelude VTEC) had lightweight flywheels. I didnt notice any of what you are talking about.

Acceleration = Quicker
Shifting = Nicer (I had stronger clutches, and I prefer a stiff pedal. The CL pedal is weak IMO)
Passing on the highway = Quicker

Using the lightweight flywheel is the same reason you are using the lightweight pulleys. It removes rotating weight from the engine, thus causing it to become more responsive (increase and decrease in rotational speed quicker).

You can believe that it lowers top speed if you want, I know and have experienced otherwise.

Ive gotten my Prelude up to an indicated 140mph with the stock clutch setup. After the new clutch and lightweight flywheel was broken in, I did another top speed run. This time I didnt need to downshift from 5th to 4th. I just gassed it from a 75mph roll. And guess what, I hit an indicated 140mph.

The lightweight flywheel cannot reduce top speed. Maybe something wasnt installed properly when putting things back together? Maybe the clutch was slipping slightly? There can be tons of variables, but Im sorry, the flywheel isnt one of them.
Old 11-21-2009, 01:03 PM
lowrd on tein CS biatch

fuck!..... yea.. maybe it was the goons installing it?

i dunno they always seem to fuck something up.. maybe I just didn't notice what it was and blamed the flywheel?

That's why i do almost everything by myself and get my Acura mechanics to do w/e I cannot do at their house(s) on their spare time

but still.... 1/4 mile i don't think would be faster...

That i still will stand behind.

I highly doubt my buddy was blowing smoke up my ass.

do a b4 and after 1/4 mile on ur car and see what happens. I'd like to see #s instead of opinions really.
Old 11-21-2009, 01:06 PM

Cant do a before, my clutch is getting replaced in a few weeks and the track is closed. Best I can do is use aDyno on my phone.
Old 11-21-2009, 01:21 PM
lowrd on tein CS biatch

ahh w/e fak it lol

we'll just leave it at....

the guys who replace mine fucked somthing up.

that way I nor anyone else who has bought or buys the flywheel doesn't hate themselves for it

Its shit like that^^^^ that made me what I am today in regards to fixing cars