Opinions on new small SUV's

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2004, 01:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Opinions on new small SUV's

My girl and I moved to Conn and she has decided to start looking for a new SUV. Basically, the only reason she needs one is for the 4-wheel drive in the winter months, but also to lug groceries and trash to the dump. Her commute is about 40 minutes one way, but in the winter months, neither of us can get into our driveway because of a hill on a private road shared with our neighbors.

I have a '98 CL and she has a 2000 Elantra. I'm planning on getting an older 4 wheel drive pick-up, but I want something more reliable for her. Below are some of the models that we are considering and some thoughts that we have on them based on various sources. This is all very preliminary, so basically, we are trying to narrow down the field.

Please share your thoughts. Thanks!

Small SUV

Toyota RAV - Good looking, reliable, reputable, good gas mileage
Honda CRV - Similar to Rav4
Mazda Tribute/ Ford Escape - It's part Ford!?!
LandRover Freelander - Great little truck, but reliability is in question.
Jeep Liberty - Great Style and it's a Jeep! Definitely an option.

Mid-Size

Kia Sorrento - The price is great, but reliability is in question. Also, a gas guzzler.
Honda Pilot/ Acura MDX - No question, both are great cars.
Chevy Equinox - This is a contender based on looks and price, but I've never owned a Chevy before.
Hyundai Santa Fe - Nasty fenders, good price, OK reliability.
Toyota Highlander - Fits the bill, but don't expect to do anything off pavement.
Nissan Pathfinder - Good style, generally a good reliable truck.
Volvo XC90 - It's a Volvo! (Both good and bad!)
Old 02-05-2004, 02:00 PM
The hair says it all

Jeep, Pilot, and Pathfinder would be at the top of my list, volvo is getting pricy
Old 02-05-2004, 02:03 PM
Homeless

No Ford Freelander?

Isn't that a new crossover? It was in the current MT magazine & looked great.
Old 02-05-2004, 02:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by chris3240929
No Ford Freelander?

Isn't that a new crossover? It was in the current MT magazine & looked great.
I haven't heard of it. Either way, the list was based on what was currently in dealers, except perhaps the Chevy. I saw that at a GM show and it looked pretty good.
Old 02-05-2004, 02:08 PM
Advanced

used Pathfinder.......cant go wrong....
Old 02-05-2004, 02:10 PM
Homeless

http://www.fordvehicles.com/freestyle/home.asp?bhcp=1

Yeah, it says not out until mid 2004. Sorry.

How about a Saturn Vue, AWD. It has the Honda-built v-6 that's in the Accord(3.5ltr I believe). About $26K loaded.
Old 02-05-2004, 02:12 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,953 Likes on 2,637 Posts
CRV, MDX, Pathfinder, highlander

The Jeep Liberty blows imo, HUGE amounts of body roll.
Ford Escape - giant rattle box.
Rav4 - pretty good, no real complaints, just not my taste in styling.

Just make sure which ones one have 4wd, awd, and 2wd with an emergency awd kick in (ala CRV) i mention this since you said you wanted 4wd for her. So im assuming you might have an actual need to for 4wd for her
Old 02-05-2004, 02:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by chris3240929
http://www.fordvehicles.com/freestyle/home.asp?bhcp=1

Yeah, it says not out until mid 2004. Sorry.

How about a Saturn Vue, AWD. It has the Honda-built v-6 that's in the Accord(3.5ltr I believe). About $26K loaded.
Neither of us like the style of the Saturn.
Old 02-05-2004, 02:16 PM
Yeehaw

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
infiniti FX35

where in CT did you move to?
Old 02-05-2004, 02:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by sarlacc23
CRV, MDX, Pathfinder, highlander

The Jeep Liberty blows imo, HUGE amounts of body roll.
Ford Escape - giant rattle box.
Rav4 - pretty good, no real complaints, just not my taste in styling.

Just make sure which ones one have 4wd, awd, and 2wd with an emergency awd kick in (ala CRV) i mention this since you said you wanted 4wd for her. So im assuming you might have an actual need to for 4wd for her
Good to know about the Liberty and the Escape.

I guess she doesn't really need to go off-road at all. We primarily want to be prepared for inclement weather. Something that will allow her to get up this hill in snow and safely commute to work. Traction control and Stability control to prevent a roll-over will also be factors.
Old 02-05-2004, 02:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Beetroot
infiniti FX35

where in CT did you move to?
She actually likes the Infiniti, but we think it may be too expensive.

We moved to Columbia, East of Hartford.
Old 02-05-2004, 02:23 PM
The Third Ball

Originally posted by melo72
Good to know about the Liberty and the Escape.

I guess she doesn't really need to go off-road at all. We primarily want to be prepared for inclement weather. Something that will allow her to get up this hill in snow and safely commute to work. Traction control and Stability control to prevent a roll-over will also be factors.
You should still drive them all and see what she likes, i personally dont like the jeep or ford. Jeep wouldnt have been sooo bad but the one i drove had leather with NO sidebolstering. I was also on a road course (CRV Ride n Drive) so i was sliding around like crazy cause of the roll.

maybe cloth seats are better, who knows.
Old 02-05-2004, 02:23 PM
The Third Ball

Nissan Murano? not a bad little SUV.
Old 02-05-2004, 02:26 PM
Yeehaw

does it have to be an SUV? there are plenty of cars with AWD that should be able to handle the snow.

that new subaru legacy 2.5 GT would do the trick.
Old 02-05-2004, 02:26 PM
Outnumbered at home

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Quite a range in price there bud.

Small ones: Wifes sister has a CRV works pretty well, no issues. Don't like the looks myself put that is personal
Like the looks of the Rav-4, friend has one. Same as crv

Large ones: Have a highlander. Rocksolid and drives like a car.
Pilot: Would have gotton this if it was out when I got the highlander for the wife. Friend has one and i really think it is one of the nicest suv's out there (hence why it keeps getting awards from C&D).
Old 02-05-2004, 02:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by 95gt
Quite a range in price there bud.

Small ones: Wifes sister has a CRV works pretty well, no issues. Don't like the looks myself put that is personal
Like the looks of the Rav-4, friend has one. Same as crv

Large ones: Have a highlander. Rocksolid and drives like a car.
Pilot: Would have gotton this if it was out when I got the highlander for the wife. Friend has one and i really think it is one of the nicest suv's out there (hence why it keeps getting awards from C&D).
Yeah, the price range isn't set yet. I think we can afford up to $40K, she likes to play the conservative role. Hence, why I brought my car new and she got a used Hyundai (but paid cash for it). When it comes to finances, she's the one that will make the decision.

The Pilot is a really good option and a very flexible car. You can't go wrong with Honda, plus the resale value on the car is strong. She just thinks that the styling is a little bland compared to the MDX.
Old 02-05-2004, 02:37 PM
Yeehaw

pilot is a great choice.

or mdx.

or fx35.
Old 02-05-2004, 02:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Get the MDX.

A co-worker couldn't make it up the incline in her driveway with a Jeep Liberty, it is also very small inside and uncomfortable.
Old 02-05-2004, 02:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by sarlacc23
Nissan Murano? not a bad little SUV.
Possibly, I would have to look into it more. I saw it quickly at the Autoshow, but just wasn't convinced.

Beetroot: It's a possibility, but since we don't have a truck at all, it's a pain when we're out shopping and can't fit something in the cars. It's seems like we are always having to jam something into them.

Long term, I would like her to have an SUV and I'll get a Sedan with AWD.

Thanks for all your help so far guys!
Old 02-05-2004, 02:40 PM
The Third Ball

Pilot is a little more floaty suspension, MDX is sportier. Both are great.
Old 02-05-2004, 02:42 PM
Instructor

Cant go wrong with a Honda or Toyota, keyword: RELIABILITY. Also look at their crash test data, not to mention they are just nice cars.
Old 02-05-2004, 02:46 PM
Busy Living

subaru forester XT. faster then you'd imagine. Would take a stock G or Z 0-60 and 1/4. for $25k.
Old 02-05-2004, 03:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by mykemcnasty2
Cant go wrong with a Honda or Toyota, keyword: RELIABILITY. Also look at their crash test data, not to mention they are just nice cars.
Reliability is definitely the key. I don't want to spend close to $30K on a junker.

Does anyone know someone that has the Kia? I really want to know what type of problems people experience with it.
Old 02-05-2004, 03:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Kev, what happened to your post?

I wouldn't buy a new pick-up, but would consider a used one for myself.

Subaru's are OK, but most of their "SUV's" look like station wagon's. She wants to avoid the mini-van, station wagon look.
Old 02-05-2004, 03:10 PM
GEB
Racer

What about a Jeep Wrangler? About 4 years ago I evaluated a bunch of SUV's. I purchased a 2000 Jeep Wrangler Sport for about 22K (ABS,A/C,Hard/soft Tops,30" wheels,++). Four years later and it's worth 15K or so. It's been very reliable and it's a blast to drive. I know it's small inside but I just removed the back seat and I have plenty of room.
Old 02-05-2004, 03:12 PM
The Third Ball

Wrnglers arent safe, and not very great for cold weather.

I would stay away from KIA.
Old 02-05-2004, 03:15 PM
Instructor

I agree with sarlacc23, one vote for a honda or toyota. I would say more about each individual car, but I'm not really sure what you are looking for. I'd rather go for the highlander or pilot if you rather spend more money, but if your trying to spend less money go with the rav or crv.
Old 02-05-2004, 03:17 PM
GEB
Racer

What! A Wrangler not good for winter weather? Who told you that. I use my Wrangler as my winter/snow car. In fact, I'm driving it today in 6" of snow (Denver) and it works great.
Old 02-05-2004, 03:21 PM
Burning Brakes

I wouldn't get a Wrangler for my girl. I would consider one used for me, but as a replacement for a main car in a 2 car family, no way. It's too small.
Old 02-05-2004, 03:24 PM
Health's Angels

My wife loves her RAV-4. Its a 99, just over 100,000 miles. Not a single problem whatsoever. My complaint is that its underpowered (but I like her in an underpowered car :-) ), howver I understander later RAV's have more HP. The AWD is great in the snow...East coast Canada snow, I really feel better knowing she's got that RAV for the commute. My other car is 92 Pathy V6, also over 100k, some documented probs with manifold studs, but other than that and some rust, its been totally reliable. Told myslef I would trade it in when I got the CLS, but the damn thing is bulletproof, couldn't bear to let 'er go!
Old 02-05-2004, 03:25 PM
GEB
Racer

In that case, I would go with the CRV. My sister got one about a year ago (just as the new version came out) and she loves it. I've driven a few times and I was impressed. It feels more stable then a Rav4.
Old 02-05-2004, 03:30 PM
Where is my super sauce?

My wife wanted a small SUV and after a lot of shopping we got a Forester XT Premium. See here for my review.

The best vehicles and the best rated vehicles in the small SUV class are the Honda CR-V, the Toyota RAV4 and the Forester X/XS/XT. At the next tier down you're looking at Mitsubishi Outlander, Ford Escape, Jeep Liberty, and Kia or Hyundai crap. The Rover Freelander is overpriced and underpowered. Wasn't impressed with Mazda Tribute either.

I consider the Pilot, Highlander, MDX, RX3330, XC90, etc in a different size class as these are all a bit larger. We (she) were not interested in this size group of vehicles.

After about 5 months we still love our Forester XT. It's plenty fast (same engine as STi, just smaller turbo and IC), handles quite well (especially in the snow!), is cheap to insure, cheap-ish to own, and seems like a quality build. We're quite happy with it.
Old 02-05-2004, 03:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Slimey
My wife wanted a small SUV and after a lot of shopping we got a Forester XT Premium. See here for my review.

The best vehicles and the best rated vehicles in the small SUV class are the Honda CR-V, the Toyota RAV4 and the Forester X/XS/XT. At the next tier down you're looking at Mitsubishi Outlander, Ford Escape, Jeep Liberty, and Kia or Hyundai crap. The Rover Freelander is overpriced and underpowered. Wasn't impressed with Mazda Tribute either.

I consider the Pilot, Highlander, MDX, RX3330, XC90, etc in a different size class as these are all a bit larger. We (she) were not interested in this size group of vehicles.

After about 5 months we still love our Forester XT. It's plenty fast (same engine as STi, just smaller turbo and IC), handles quite well (especially in the snow!), is cheap to insure, cheap-ish to own, and seems like a quality build. We're quite happy with it.
I guess I will have to add it to the list of considerations. I like all of the features, but like you said "it looks like a brick on wheels". When it comes to safety, one shouldn't worry about looks.
Old 02-05-2004, 03:42 PM
Yeehaw

When I was in high school in Connecticut my parents used to have a Subaru Outback. I used to take that thing out in a foot of snow before they plowed the roads and I could rip right past all sorts of big SUV's that were slipping all over the road. We had a Grand Cherokee too and the Outback was 20 times better in the snow. It was amazing.

If the Forester is anything like the Outback, my vote goes for a Forester or some other Subaru.
Old 02-05-2004, 04:29 PM
Got da Internet Goin Nutz

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I was in the same predicament at the end of last year. I wanted to get the Jeep Lib for the wife but they didn't want to deal. I am VERY happy they didn't. I ended up with a Mercury Mountaineer (ala Ford Explorer). It was a left over '03 and they knocked off ~$5K from the sticker price. I would have paid more for an explorer with the same options. It has ALL the options my CL had minus the powerful engine, xenon lights, and the navigation. I had to grown into the looks a little bit but know I kinda like it. The best thing about it is it has 3 rows of seats! I won't have to worry about the wife needing a bigger car anytime soon and when our relatives come to visit, as they do quite often, we can fit 7 people without a problem instead of taking 2 cars as I used to do when I had the CL.

I didn't get a chance to look at nissans but a used QX4 goes pretty cheap.

I would highly suggest looking at a used Landcruiser or LX470. They are for sure reliability, they look good, and you get them for ~35K.

I looked at the Kia when I was checking out the mountaineer. We currently have a '04 sportage with 109K miles and NO PROBLEMS!!!! The thing to remember about kia is that they have a 100K mile warrranty. Why do you even need to be concerned about reliabilty with a warranty like that?
Old 02-05-2004, 04:36 PM
Where is my super sauce?

Originally posted by melo72
I guess I will have to add it to the list of considerations. I like all of the features, but like you said "it looks like a brick on wheels". When it comes to safety, one shouldn't worry about looks.
Actually, the look has grown on me -- I don't find it so strange looking anymore.

Safest vehicle in it's class.

I didn't initially consider the Subaru, but just happened to drive by the dealership. The test drives sold us on it. It's really a pretty cool car for it's class.

I owned a Subaru in the mid-80s. They're pretty reliable cars. Most of the Subaru boards echo this too.
Old 02-05-2004, 04:38 PM
Instructor

I think the subarus are good cars, but im not feeling the kia. Think about this, with todays technology, its not a matter of a vehicle making it 100,000 miles, but how long after that.
Old 02-05-2004, 04:38 PM
The Third Ball

Originally posted by GEB
What! A Wrangler not good for winter weather? Who told you that. I use my Wrangler as my winter/snow car. In fact, I'm driving it today in 6" of snow (Denver) and it works great.
Cause those fuckers get COLD!!! im not talking about how they drive im talking how they arent insulated specially softops. shit be chilly.
Old 02-05-2004, 04:47 PM

Why do you even need to be concerned about reliabilty with a warranty like that?
Who cares if she has Gonnerea, you got a condom!
Old 02-05-2004, 04:50 PM
The Third Ball

Someone mentioned a used LX470.

Try and find a used or preowned RX300.
My mom bought one last year to replace her ls400. You can find them very decently priced now, great great cars, and you cant beat lxus service, yes even out of warranty they treat you like gods.

I love driving it everytime i go visit.

Quick Reply: Opinions on new small SUV's