Opinion on lifetime brake service; if any.

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2004, 07:25 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Opinion on lifetime brake service; if any.

It's not for my Type-S, but for my minivan.

Pepboys has this service for $159 (per axle) and it seems like a good deal. Is there anything to watchout for?

TIA.
Old 01-15-2004, 07:30 AM
Advanced

i would imagine there is a catch, probably the quality of parts used.
Old 01-15-2004, 07:38 AM
Someday pigs WILL fly!

The lifetime service doesn't cover labor does it? The pads are pretty inexpensive anyway. They are also banking on you not keeping the car a loooong time.
Old 01-15-2004, 08:02 AM
Pro

gto2050, you do have a point. I'll recheck on the labor warranty.

I do know the pads are lifetime, even if they're cheap. Guess I'll need to make sure their not the kind that squell like a BUS.

Thanks!!
Old 01-15-2004, 08:04 AM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
if u do go with em watch they don't drive yer car like a bunch o fuckers. i have see them drive a few cars too fast and burn out
Old 01-15-2004, 06:50 PM
Racer

Sure, lifetime warranty on the brake pads, not labor - that's where the catch is.

Also, since the pads will be free for the lifetime of your car (as long as you own it), don't expect them to use anything other than the lowest quality pads build in some small town in a third world country where the only thing known about quality standards is usually how to spell the words so that they can then type them somewhere on the package for the sake of uniformity.

Very few things in life are free, even the ones you think are - will most likely not be...
Old 01-16-2004, 01:32 AM
Advanced

Pep Boys uses Raybestos Quiet Stop ceramic pads. About $60 per axle. Pads are included in the price all other parts are extra. Lifetime warranty only covers the pads for defects and workmanship. If and when the wear out, nothing is covered, you'll have to pay another $159. It's all in the fine print. I know, I work there.
Old 01-16-2004, 02:06 AM
Instructor

the one on sepulveda? hook me up with the discounts.
Old 01-16-2004, 02:31 AM
Pro

also consider that mismatched pad and rotor material will result in your rotors being chewed up prematurely

i work at a dealership and get cursed at all the time when i recommend a $200 brake job to a customer and get told than such-and-such franchise company will do it for considerably less. i just smile and send the customers on their way. a month or so later that $200 brake job just doubled itself because the mickey mouse pads that the customer had put on in order to save 50 bucks just cost them 200 more bills in rotors.

i'm not saying everything that's not oemis crap but just make sure it's the same material as the manufacturer
Old 01-16-2004, 02:33 PM
Pro

There are two tricks that go with these offers. 1 is, like a cheap oil change, the goal is to get your car in the air and find stuff 'wrong' with it. 2. The unwritten rule at another major brake chain with lifetime offer is, a car that comes in for lifetime brake replacement does not leave without some other item needing replacement; rotors, calipers, struts, something. Do it, but know your car and be confident enough to tell them to shove it if they say your calipers are shot the next time you go for free pads.
Old 01-16-2004, 03:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
I for one DON'T skimp on brakes. They are such an important part for your car. I see my friends in NY getting new brakes every 10K miles cause they are cheap, or don't know enough about the gimmicks these chain stores use, & they just pay them the $$.
Old 01-16-2004, 03:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by dgracer
There are two tricks that go with these offers. 1 is, like a cheap oil change, the goal is to get your car in the air and find stuff 'wrong' with it. 2. The unwritten rule at another major brake chain with lifetime offer is, a car that comes in for lifetime brake replacement does not leave without some other item needing replacement; rotors, calipers, struts, something. Do it, but know your car and be confident enough to tell them to shove it if they say your calipers are shot the next time you go for free pads.
This happened to my g/f. Took her car in to Midas in NY to do brakes with the lifetime offer. She just got new pads on the front. When we left the shop all was good on local streets. However we get on the highway and during braking on highway speeds the whole front end was shaking. Since we were pretty far from the original Midas and still had the receipt with us, we stop at another Midas in Conn.

They look at the car and say that the car needs to pads and rotors! I almost flipped out. I told them that the brake pads were replaced less than 2 hours ago and there was no way that they needed to be replaced. Anyway I told told to screw themselves and put the car back together.

I ended up getting new pads and rotors from the Midas in NY for free.
Old 01-16-2004, 04:40 PM
2nd Gear

Pep boys pads will definatly squeek. and only the pads are lifetime the labor is how they make money. They do that so you keep coming back for the labor. I would get a quality brake jodb with good pads from an indepenent shop
Old 01-17-2004, 12:09 AM
Advanced

CL®
As for discounts, They price match anybody's prices. If they say no just ask for a manager. The manager's bonus is determined by customer satisfaction. (You didn't hear it from me!)

acuraboy
You're right about the mismatched pads and rotors. Most ask for the cheapest pads, and call us theives when we recomend the "right" pads.

dgracer
As with all things, get a second opinion. It's no gimmick.

tommyo
Pads are not lifetime. Some do squeek. Best thing to do is request dealer pads. They also carry EBC and Hawk pads and rotors. We can also get Brembos. My Pep Boys pads don't squeek. Did the front about 2000mi ago. Can't say that for all cars.
Old 01-17-2004, 12:19 AM
Advanced

CL®
As for discounts, They price match anybody's prices. If they say no just ask for a manager. The manager's bonus is determined by customer satisfaction. (You didn't hear it from me!)

acuraboy
You're right about the mismatched pads and rotors. Most ask for the cheapest pads, and call us theives when we recomend the "right" pads.

dgracer
As with all things, get a second opinion. It's no gimmick.

tommyo
Pads are not lifetime. Some do squeek. Best thing to do is request dealer pads. They also carry EBC and Hawk pads and rotors. We can also get Brembos. My Pep Boys pads don't squeek. Did the front about 2000mi ago. Can't say that for all cars.
Old 01-17-2004, 10:35 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
Its a ripoff, yeah the pads will be free, but thats all they pay for. Of course the labor is not, and they also jack up the price on parts like shims for the pads substantially. A part that literally costs cents, is billed to you for 100x the cost when you get them at the initial installation.

I told the guy about that one time when I was there, and he was trying to push the lifetime replacement joke on me, and he said "We have to get our money somehow", its funny so mnay people dont realize this when they get their cars done, and that the bill for brakes changed under their lifetime guarantee, is not that much less than the initiall bill was.
Old 01-17-2004, 05:03 PM
Advanced

Where do you all get the idea Pep Boys has LIFETIME pads?