Online Petition for #3 Dale Earnhardt

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2001, 02:12 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Online Petition for #3 Dale Earnhardt

Richard Childress it thinking about letting someone (other than an Earnhardt) run in Dale Sr. #3 race car.

There is an online petition, if you would like to read and sign, asking him not to allow this. #3 is, and forever should be, associated with Dale Earnhardt.

Please take a minute or two and read the following petition. If you agree, please sign the petition as well. Thank you.

http://www.petitiononline.com/DaleE3/petition.html

------------------
avengerjr
2001 CL-S Satin Silver / Ebony Interior / Non-Navi[*] spoiler , wheel locks , 35% tint[*] fenderwell trim , mud guards[*] winter floor mats , full nose mask[*] Xephyr CAI

girlfriend
1999 3.8L V6 Mustang Coupe Black / Black Cloth Interior[*] spoiler , 35% tint[*] MAC CAI - soon to order
Old 02-21-2001, 02:30 PM
Team Owner

I keep trying, but it locks up the site.
I will try again tonight.

They have 34,647 “signatures” so far.

Shawn S

------------------
Speed limits are for CARS and DRIVERS whose limits are easily exceeded !!!!!

2001 CL Type S - NAV - San Marino RED / Parchment - Spoiler - 35% Tint - Roof Visor - PIAA Lamps
GOLD Emblems & Grill - V1 w/remote - KICKER ZR-360 w/(2) 10" Alumapro Subs - Shine by ZAINO
For Pictures see: PAGE 1 PAGE 2 PAGE 3 PAGE 4 V1 & SUBS
Old 02-21-2001, 02:37 PM
Team Owner

I finally got through at number 34,717.

Shawn S

------------------

2001 CL Type S - NAV - San Marino RED / Parchment - Spoiler - 35% Tint - Roof Visor - PIAA Lamps
GOLD Emblems & Grill - V1 w/remote - KICKER ZR-360 w/(2) 10" Alumapro Subs - Shine by ZAINO
Old 02-21-2001, 03:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts

Signature #35909. I saw the link on ESPN.com too!!

------------------
1998 Iced Blue CL 3.0 ** Some mods, but who cares, I want a Type-S!!

Moderator - 1st Gen Forum

Email: juniorbean@acura-cl.com
Old 02-21-2001, 06:29 PM
Moderator Alumnus

wouldn't anyone feel guilty driving a car you know have a dead legends number on it? i don't understand how this dude could even agree to do it knowing full well the possible controversy.

------------------
YuppieCL
'90 Accord LX
'01 3.2CL Type S
#6487, Satin Silver, Navi, Spoiler, Comptech springs, 35% Llumar window tint
PhotoPoint Pics!
Old 02-22-2001, 12:44 AM
Team Owner

As of 2/21 at 10:40PM EST there are 74,241 signatures.

Please stop by and add your own to the list.

Thanks,
Shawn S

------------------

Old 02-22-2001, 03:20 AM
Pro

Just did it. #79690.

------------------
Frank
01-S White/Parchment
Comptech Sways & Springs
Old 02-22-2001, 10:50 AM
Three Wheelin'

------------------
2001 Silver 3.2CLS
-Muds, Spoiler, Hardwire 8500, Prolarg M-6 lamps
Planning: Comptech Headers, Sways, CAI
Old 02-22-2001, 10:52 AM
Banned

Sorry guys, but I have to tell you I completely disagree with this. This prescedent has already been set by NASCAR with the death of other drivers. Dale Earnhardt should not be any different. A death on the track is tragic no matter who it is, or what importance they hold to the sport! People will remember him in their own way. A number or car does not need to be retired, no statue erected, no special ceremony, no memorial race track, just go on with the show. My .02 cents.
Old 02-22-2001, 12:21 PM
Community Architect
robb m.

Received 630 Likes on 280 Posts
I was # 94540

------------------
Astroboy out...
2001 Acura CL Type S: Comptech: Headers, filter, sways, springs, koni shocks, goodridge braided brake lines, full kicker system
1996 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo: H&R Springs and sways, Bilstein shocks
Old 02-22-2001, 12:42 PM
Banned

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by bone_stock:
Sorry guys, but I have to tell you I completely disagree with this. This prescedent has already been set by NASCAR with the death of other drivers. Dale Earnhardt should not be any different. A death on the track is tragic no matter who it is, or what importance they hold to the sport! People will remember him in their own way. A number or car does not need to be retired, no statue erected, no special ceremony, no memorial race track, just go on with the show. My .02 cents. </font>
To each his own. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

------------------
avengerjr
2001 CL-S Satin Silver / Ebony Interior / Non-Navi[*] spoiler , wheel locks , 35% tint[*] fenderwell trim , mud guards[*] winter floor mats , full nose mask[*] Xephyr CAI

girlfriend
1999 3.8L V6 Mustang Coupe Black / Black Cloth Interior[*] spoiler , 35% tint[*] MAC CAI - soon to order
Old 02-22-2001, 03:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Sorry guys, but I have to tell you I completely disagree with this. This prescedent has already been set by NASCAR with the death of other drivers. Dale Earnhardt should not be any different. A death on the track is tragic no matter who it is, or what importance they hold to the sport! People will remember him in their own way. A number or car does not need to be retired, no statue erected, no special ceremony, no memorial race track, just go on with the show. My .02 cents. </font>

Like avengerjr said, everyone's entitiled to their opinion, but I can't see your point. Michael Jordan has a statue, Dan Marino has a statue, I think John Elway does too. They all have one, and they didn't even die tragically while performing in their respective sports. They're all alive, but still were honored b/c of their impact. Shit, even Rocky Balboa has (had?) a statue, and he's a fictional character. I understand your point about precidence, but how could you not think that the #3 car should be run with a different driver one week after the accident? It's called sensitivity, which is basically what the petition is asking for. Something should and will be done to immortalize Dale. Why? because Dale was the NASCAR's equivalent to Michael Jordan, Dan Marino, John Elway, and yes, even Rocky. I'm not even a die-hard NASCAR / Earnhardt fan and I understand that....

------------------

[This message has been edited by juniorbean (edited 02-22-2001).]
Old 02-22-2001, 03:40 PM
Instructor

[JOKE DELETED BY BY KEVIN]

------------------
2001 CL Type S
San Marino Red/Parchment
Spoiler, wind deflector,Wheel locks, Non Nav
No mods yet

[This message has been edited by Kevin (edited 02-22-2001).]
Old 02-22-2001, 04:31 PM
Instructor

i heard that they're not going to use #3 this sunday. They said they're probably going to use a different color other than black and a different number (#30). <==From the Washington Post.

------------------
White/Ebony CL Type S with Navi...no mods until i get my tax return money.
Old 02-22-2001, 04:40 PM
Someday pigs WILL fly!

#104068. Busy site.

------------------
01 CL-S NightHawk Black/Ebony Bowling Ball Interior
Old 02-22-2001, 04:57 PM
Banned

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by juniorbean:

I understand your point about precidence, but how could you not think that the #3 car should be run with a different driver one week after the accident?

</font>
Alan Kulwicki was the reigning champion when he was killed. Davey Allison was in the points lead and well on his way to a championship when he was killed. Both of these teams went on to compete again within a week of their drivers deaths. There was no special ceremony, no statues, no retiring of the numbers etc. That is how I can think that the number 3 team can do the same thing. An argument can be made that D.E. was bigger in the sport than the others that died. However, when you break it down he was just one of 43 drivers that compete on a given Suday. No more or less important than the other 42. That is the stand that NASCAR takes and I for one believe they are right. While it is tragic that D.E. died, his death is no more important than any ones elses. I guess that makes it .04 cents for me now. I promise that'll be my last .02 cents. I appreciate the restraint shown in your replies as I know there a lot of people blinded by emotion/passion on this subject.

[This message has been edited by bone_stock (edited 02-22-2001).]
Old 02-22-2001, 06:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Alan Kulwicki was the reigning champion when he was killed. Davey Allison was in the points lead and well on his way to a championship when he was killed. Both of these teams went on to compete again within a week of their drivers deaths. There was no special ceremony, no statues, no retiring of the numbers etc. That is how I can think that the number 3 team can do the same thing. An argument can be made that D.E. was bigger in the sport than the others that died. However, when you break it down he was just one of 43 drivers that compete on a given Suday. No more or less important than the other 42. That is the stand that NASCAR takes and I for one believe they are right. While it is tragic that D.E. died, his death is no more important than any ones elses. I guess that makes it .04 cents for me now. I promise that'll be my last .02 cents. I appreciate the restraint shown in your replies as I know there a lot of people blinded by emotion/passion on this subject.
</font>

It doesn't have to be your last .02 cents, you make good points. Like you said, I would argue the point that he was bigger then the others that died, but it goes beyond that. He had 7 Point titles, 76 (or so wins), and countless other landmarks. But beyond that, he made NASCAR what is today. If it wasn't for him, you probably wouldn't hear about most of the deaths from the past year, b/c no one would care. He put NASCAR on the map, period. You think FOX would have picked up coverage if it wasn't so popular? He is 90% of the reason it is. Have you read any of the articles on ESPN.com? I think it will give you insight as to the impact he had as a driver and a person. Owners of speedways are comparing his death to that of JFK. Now, I think that's a bit much, but to the racing and southern community, it's not. I don't think you can say that he wasn't more important then the other 42 drivers b/c he is. You're telling me if Joe Montana got killed during the SuperBowl you would reply saying he wasn't more important then most if not all of the other 21 players on the field that were competing on that Sunday? Of course the value of life is the same across the board, but the impact isn't. If you had $1 for everytime his name, car, or team cars were mentioned, just in the Daytona 500 alone(before the crash), you could probably retire. And I'm not even counting all of the pre-race coverage. Of course he was bigger then almost all of the 42 other drivers, and when he died, especially how and where he died, he took a part of racing with him.....

------------------

Old 02-22-2001, 08:08 PM
Adult Supervision

They didn't retire Richard Petty's did they? I think that retiring numbers while common in all other sports (pretty much) is simply not done in this one. I am curious why Childress needs to use this number next week - I wonder if they "buy" the number from Nascar and simply can't use a new one or what - there must be some real logic behind this.

------------------
CL-S #22,299 Black/Parchment/Nav, spoiler, door & fender guards, wood trim, PIAA 19169 & 9005, V1 w/remote, trunk & winter mats, no headers, no sway bars, no springs, no money!
Old 02-22-2001, 10:01 PM
Team Owner

Can one of the Moderators PLEASE delete the tasteless post by Kevin above?

Thank you,
Shawn S

------------------

Old 02-22-2001, 11:55 PM
Instructor

Shawn,

I erased it my self, sorry if i've offended anyone.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Shawn S:
Can one of the Moderators PLEASE delete the tasteless post by Kevin above?

Thank you,
Shawn S

</font>

------------------
2001 CL Type S
San Marino Red/Parchment
Spoiler, wind deflector,Wheel locks, Non Nav
No mods yet
Old 02-23-2001, 07:59 AM
Advanced

------------------
type-s
silver/ebony
stock for the moment
Old 02-23-2001, 10:56 AM
Senior Moderator

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MikeS 18:
They didn't retire Richard Petty's did they? I think that retiring numbers while common in all other sports (pretty much) is simply not done in this one. I am curious why Childress needs to use this number next week - I wonder if they "buy" the number from Nascar and simply can't use a new one or what - there must be some real logic behind this.</font>

I agree the number shouldn't be retired either, but I'm just saying it shouldn't be run so soon, not as the black #3 anyway.

Childress actually owns the #3. The teams buy the numbers for use for the year, and he owns it (along with others) for this season. He also owns #30 which he currently uses in the Busch series. From what I've been reading, if they run Dale's car, it will be painted a different color, and where the #30. The guy who will drive it is the guy who drives the #30 in the Busch division....

Old 02-23-2001, 08:54 PM
Race Director

I believe the number and the car should be retired as long as there is no financial difficulty to the owners.

What's the most dangerous sport on the planet? More than skydiving, cliff climbing, deep-sea diving, even more dangerous than blasting into outer space?

As for that website, it's just like a chain letter. D.E. is not going to be replaced.

------------------
* 2001 Acura CL Type S * Blk/Blk * Navigator * Spoiler * Moonroof Visor * V1 *
* Since 3/31/2000 *
* Road Warrior *

* 500 posts on h/a.net *** 400 posts "insane poster" on the "old" acura-cl.com *
Old 02-26-2001, 10:13 PM
8th Gear

I'm not really sure what they should do actually, although i do agree at least for the foreseeable future, nobody should race the 3.

I think if the owner of the car doesn't want to ever race it again, that's fine. As for whether Nascar as the governing body should retire it, that's a tough one.

The only number i know of being retired by a "league" is Jackie Robinson's, and that's a different kinda impact than Dale Sr.

Also, in hockey nobody's ever going to wear #99 again, although i'm not sure it's officially "retired".

-smak-

------------------
2001 CL Silver Type S w/ nav, muds, locks & spoiler.