One of you guys

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2002, 10:11 PM
'Cooter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
first of all, i love the fact that the friggin title of this thread changed

and second, i love the fact that now all the bimmer guys think the CL is cheap plastic and shit
Old 08-12-2002, 10:37 PM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: grow up

Originally posted by silverm3

I think the 330ci is a great car and stock for stock a better overall performer than a cl type s if you want to pay more money. I know for a fact though you can't blow the doors off 3.2 cl type s especially a 6-speed it will be a close race.

Show some more class, and act accordingly, your giving us BMW owners a bad image. You can post a kill in a more discrete manner and get your kill accepted.

02 silver m3
93 mr2 turbo
02 3.2 tl nav
Old 08-13-2002, 12:39 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by eclipse23

Note I say I did NOT consider the 330 because it's performance was too close to the CLS and TLS so let that be an indication of how I feel about your trash talking. Your car is barely faster in stick form.
Why does everyone say this? You Acura guys are becoming more and more like F-body/Mustang owners and only are comparing acceleration stats. Look at the handling and braking aspects of the CL-S and 330i and a clear difference is easily seen.

BTW why did u buy a SMG M3?? Manual is the only way to go in a high performance vehicle.
Old 08-13-2002, 06:18 AM
Grls lov shiftn my stick

Originally posted by Maximized

Look at the handling and braking aspects of the CL-S and 330i and a clear difference is easily seen.
I've really tried to get you to read the article in Car & Driver, but I guess you don't what to take the time. Maybe if you did read it, you would learn why there is a diffrence in handling and braking between the two cars. Here is what the article states:

The test track revealed numbers that can only be related to a simple lack of rubber. The Acura's 215/50VR-17 Michelin Pilots are substantially skinnier than the Bimmer's Continentals (225/ 45ZR-17 in front and 245/40ZR-17 rear). Although the Acura's skidpad performance was minimally better (0.86 versus 0.85), the CL was off the mark in the emergency-lane-change maneuver (60.5 mph versus 63.9 mph) and worse by 11 feet (178 feet versus 167 feet) in the 70-to-0-mph braking test.

This problem can easily be fix by increasing the size of the tires of the CL. In fact, I will challenge any BMW in a test of handling and braking, and I promise you, I will not lose!! I added a few mods to help in this area, and my car still cost less then yours.
Old 08-13-2002, 07:30 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Why does everyone say this? You Acura guys are becoming more and more like F-body/Mustang owners and only are comparing acceleration stats. Look at the handling and braking aspects of the CL-S and 330i and a clear difference is easily seen.

BTW why did u buy a SMG M3?? Manual is the only way to go in a high performance vehicle.

Really? Is that right? Don't tell F1 that or the fact that the M3 CSL (lightweight version of the car) will only come in SMG because according to BMW and BMWCAR magazine SMG is the future of high performance racing. So, on that rationale considering some of the most exotic cars ever built are starting to offer SMG and the fact that SMG is going to be the next standard in upgrades for most cars (z4) this was the natural way to go. Manual's are great but if you drive in traffic like me I want to have the option of having the car do it for me. Since the SMG system is what.. .008 shift points or something like that and no loss of power it's a great option and I recommend you go test drive one. The shifting is sick it's definitely faster than the human hand could ever do it. Lastly, to say the manual is faster, that's due to launching and how SMG launches. I don't plan on beating the shit out of a 58K car so you manual guys can keep your .001 second difference
Old 08-13-2002, 07:34 AM
Moderator Alumnus

How is that? I was referring to performance overall. AND the point of my post was to humble mr. 330 who comes over here and 'thinks' he's the shit. 330 imo is a nice car but nothing extraordinary over the CLS. If both cars were in front of me and I got to choose one, I would pick the 330 no doubt but since money is a reality I picked the CLS at that point in time.
Old 08-13-2002, 10:36 AM
Banned

Re: One of you Dorks

Originally posted by BMW330Ci
I toasted one of you dorks on Rt 4 East bound in NJ this past saturday night..you guys cant hang
There was a 330ci at the track this weekend, and everytime I ran even though I wasn't doing great, I killed the 330 by 2 car lengths at the end.

I have also ran one on the highway a while back and left it.

They just do not have hte power.
Old 08-13-2002, 04:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally posted by Scooter
first of all, i love the fact that the friggin title of this thread changed
I changed the title in an effort to make it a little less inflammatory.
Old 08-13-2002, 05:41 PM
V6 & V12 Owner

Really? Is that right? Don't tell F1 that or the fact that the M3 CSL (lightweight version of the car) will only come in SMG because according to BMW and BMWCAR magazine SMG is the future of high performance racing. So, on that rationale considering some of the most exotic cars ever built are starting to offer SMG and the fact that SMG is going to be the next standard in upgrades for most cars (z4) this was the natural way to go. Manual's are great but if you drive in traffic like me I want to have the option of having the car do it for me. Since the SMG system is what.. .008 shift points or something like that and no loss of power it's a great option and I recommend you go test drive one. The shifting is sick it's definitely faster than the human hand could ever do it. Lastly, to say the manual is faster, that's due to launching and how SMG launches. I don't plan on beating the shit out of a 58K car so you manual guys can keep your .001 second difference
Well put my friend!
Old 08-13-2002, 07:02 PM
Burning Brakes

what's SMG stand for....?
Old 08-13-2002, 08:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by erock
what's SMG stand for....?
SMG stands for Sequentila Manual Gearbox, which is a fancy auto basically.
Old 08-13-2002, 08:39 PM
Instructor

I just ripped apart a 330 2 days ago, in a S500 though...
Old 08-13-2002, 10:56 PM
Advanced

Re: One of you Dorks

I toasted one of you dorks on Rt 4 East bound in NJ this past saturday night..you guys cant hang
Wow, so daddy gave you his keys for a night. I'm surprised that a kid like you can drive a 5speed. How do i know that the 330 was a 5sp?? Cause thats the only way in hell you could pull on a CLS. And it would've to be an auto CLS at that. Cause I destroyed a 330 not too long ago in my stock 6speed.

Dorks?? Grow the fuck up boy.
Old 08-14-2002, 12:42 AM
Pro

SMG stands for Sequentila Manual Gearbox, which is a fancy auto basically.
Dude your kidding rite? Sportshift, autostick, stuff like that is a fancy auto, as they still have torque converters and are not necessarily faster than a regular automatic. An SMG transmission is just as fast as a manual (for the M3 and Ferraris), and it is a great option to get on the M3.
Old 08-14-2002, 01:19 AM
Grls lov shiftn my stick

Originally posted by corey415

An SMG transmission is just as fast as a manual (for the M3 and Ferraris), and it is a great option to get on the M3.
Here is what they said about the SMG transmission in an auto mag I was reading:

"The SMG gearbox is the best of its ilk, but a buyer would want to be sure they really need it because in auto mode it isn't as forgiving as a conventional automatic, and in manual mode it offers virtually no advantages over one with a clutch pedal apart from giving the driver's left leg a rest. Fun for the tech-heads, but ultimately a bit complex for its own good."

Take it for what its worth....
Old 08-14-2002, 07:04 AM
'Cooter

Originally posted by corey415

Dude your kidding rite? Sportshift, autostick, stuff like that is a fancy auto, as they still have torque converters and are not necessarily faster than a regular automatic. An SMG transmission is just as fast as a manual (for the M3 and Ferraris), and it is a great option to get on the M3.
the SMG is quite an achievement!!! response time for SMG is like 0.08 seconds...i don't care how good of a shifter u r, this will beat u...plus, SMG gives u a choice of various driving styles and configures the automatic's shift points accordingly, so in essence, yer getting the best features out of the manual and automatic, just like the SS does for us, only it's a major step up from the SS, but the theory is the same...it gets my vote!!!

Old 08-14-2002, 07:24 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by Rips CL

Here is what they said about the SMG transmission in an auto mag I was reading:

"The SMG gearbox is the best of its ilk, but a buyer would want to be sure they really need it because in auto mode it isn't as forgiving as a conventional automatic, and in manual mode it offers virtually no advantages over one with a clutch pedal apart from giving the driver's left leg a rest. Fun for the tech-heads, but ultimately a bit complex for its own good."

Take it for what its worth....
No offense but they are morons if they think it's that simple. Go test drive one and read up it yourself. In auto mode it's simply a non-parasitic auto. It is faster than a human can do it that's been proven and it's not complex unless your IQ is lacking.
Old 08-14-2002, 10:20 AM
Suzuka Master

My friend has a 02 M3 manual and tells me that the SMG is a waste. It is a big hype that BMW is trying to market for people who cant shift very well themselves. A manual M3 is faster in all aspects, so why get the SMG in a sports car like the M3? I cant see an adavantage to this technology except the "auto" function mode.
Old 08-14-2002, 10:33 AM
Racer

My friend has a 02 M3 manual and tells me that the SMG is a waste. It is a big hype that BMW is trying to market for people who cant shift very well themselves. A manual M3 is faster in all aspects, so why get the SMG in a sports car like the M3? I cant see an adavantage to this technology except the "auto" function mode.
i kinda agree that if i had a true sports car i would like to have the feel of a clutch and rowing.... on the other hand i live near dc and commute 30 miles in traffic which translates to anywhere between 40minutes and 1 1/2 hours. so basically what im saying is that for my commute i love the cls's slush box that way i can still play around when there isnt traffic or im just out for a drive. if the smg is 10x better at doing the same think i would be all over it.

to sum it all up if i didnt have to drive in crazy traffic i would get the manual and if i did have to drive in crazy traffic smg is the way to go and still have a sporty shifting experience when not in traffic
Old 08-14-2002, 11:11 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Really? Is that right? Don't tell F1 that or the fact that the M3 CSL (lightweight version of the car) will only come in SMG because according to BMW and BMWCAR magazine SMG is the future of high performance racing. So, on that rationale considering some of the most exotic cars ever built are starting to offer SMG and the fact that SMG is going to be the next standard in upgrades for most cars (z4) this was the natural way to go.

Yeah, It's a gimmick alright! BMW is fooling 1million plus dollar racing machines all the way to the bank If your only getting manual to feel like your in a sports car, go right ahead....
As for it being faster, show me the numbers that's highly debated right now based on launch style. PLUS the numeric diff. if any is negligable.
Old 08-14-2002, 11:33 AM
Grls lov shiftn my stick

No offense but they are morons if they think it's that simple. Go test drive one and read up it yourself. In auto mode it's simply a non-parasitic auto. It is faster than a human can do it that's been proven and it's not complex unless your IQ is lacking.
Here is another article out of Car & Driver. Take it for what it is worth...

"This technique can't beat an expert's foot on a clutch, however. Our most recent three-pedal M3 outran the SMG by 0.3 second, with the entire advantage gained in first gear. The SMG hit 60 mph in 4.8 seconds and ran the quarter in 13.4, 0.3 second slower than our long-term M3 at both points, and each crossed the quarter-mile at 107 mph, suggesting they were equally powerful. Running in the A5 mode slowed the SMG by another 0.2 second.
BMW claims that performance, not convenience, is SMG's raison d'être. Our numbers don't prove that out, but we do think there's $2472 worth of convenience here."
Old 08-14-2002, 11:59 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by Rips CL

Here is another article out of Car & Driver. Take it for what it is worth...

"This technique can't beat an expert's foot on a clutch, however. Our most recent three-pedal M3 outran the SMG by 0.3 second, with the entire advantage gained in first gear. The SMG hit 60 mph in 4.8 seconds and ran the quarter in 13.4, 0.3 second slower than our long-term M3 at both points, and each crossed the quarter-mile at 107 mph, suggesting they were equally powerful. Running in the A5 mode slowed the SMG by another 0.2 second.
BMW claims that performance, not convenience, is SMG's raison d'être. Our numbers don't prove that out, but we do think there's $2472 worth of convenience here."
Ok so I can own a manual and get a better launch and gain a total of .03 in the 1/4 or I can get an SMG have the option of the car doing the shifting for me and lose .03? Ummm ok guys .03 is not that much considering I'm not gonna be draggin my car and .03 aint gonna stop my car from being in front of alot of cars
Old 08-14-2002, 12:15 PM
'Cooter

since the average Vette (NON Z06) runs around the same time, i'd bet money 8 out of 10 times, the SMG will win...i highly doubt the driver's gonna shift nearly as perfectly as the SMG, AND i hardly think the driver can shift at the optimal RPM's as the SMG
Old 08-14-2002, 12:23 PM
Grls lov shiftn my stick

Ok so I can own a manual and get a better launch and gain a total of .03 in the 1/4 or I can get an SMG have the option of the car doing the shifting for me and lose .03? Ummm ok guys .03 is not that much considering I'm not gonna be draggin my car and .03 aint gonna stop my car from being in front of alot of cars
I agree...my left knee just isn't the same as it use to be. Basketball took its toll....but I still like my 6-speed over a auto.
Old 08-14-2002, 12:49 PM
I love my CL-S

get an Intake and that .03 is GONE!!!

i want a M3 too!!!!!
Old 08-14-2002, 01:15 PM
Shift_3.5 Auto

Who gives a phuck!? It's a phucking m3. It's not a 911tt or ferrari or lambo. It's a nicely priced bimmer that would blow the doors off most cars and still have the invite of interior amenities to take your girl out and feel comfy. Yeah get a z06, and all you got is american muscle with so-so interior. I would rather get style, luxary and go fast all together. You guys kill me. Real sports car! SMG all the way unless you live in a freaking non populated area where you can everyday spit quarter mile times out and take twisties afterwork for a couple of hours. I am in the market for a m3 and I'll take what ever model. .03 don't mean shit if you can't shift or you are chirping the hell out of 1st and 2nd gear in the manual.
Old 08-14-2002, 01:19 PM
Racer

anyway.... i know im guilty of this too but were not talking about the 330 vs cls anymore...

time to get back on track talking about racing and post smg stuff on car talk

thanks
Old 08-14-2002, 01:21 PM
WHO'S NEXT!!

its funny how these 330 guys think that their 225horses can hang with 260hp. i guess if you really try hard you can make yourself believe anything, even if if is fantasy world. suck it up you paid almost 10g's more for less of a vehicle in all aspects sucka. go brag to your bile movement buddy's about this supposed win you had bitch and leave the ACURA forum, cause nobody here takes your statements with any truth. by the way i smoked a 330 with a is300 and thats 10hp's less than you, thats much more of a closer match, but a cls keep on wettin yourself with those dreams..lol
Old 08-14-2002, 01:23 PM
WHO'S NEXT!!

now when you pay that extra 20+g's and get yourself into an '03 m3 then come back and brag
Old 08-14-2002, 01:41 PM
WHO'S NEXT!!

on the topic of reputations mr.330ci . i wouldn't even go there! bmw does not have the best when it comes to vehicle maintainance especially compared to a acura, which on the other hand has a great rep for maintenance. do you really even know what your talkin about or are you just so happy with your 330 that you start thinkin its an invincible entity of some sort? i bet you can blow up a 03 vette too huh. on second thought could it be anger and jealousy from gettin smoked by so many cls' that you came here to make up shit and make yourself feel better
Old 08-14-2002, 01:52 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by quikcls
its funny how these 330 guys think that their 225horses can hang with 260hp. i guess if you really try hard you can make yourself believe anything, even if if is fantasy world. suck it up you paid almost 10g's more for less of a vehicle in all aspects sucka. go brag to your bile movement buddy's about this supposed win you had bitch and leave the ACURA forum, cause nobody here takes your statements with any truth. by the way i smoked a 330 with a is300 and thats 10hp's less than you, thats much more of a closer match, but a cls keep on wettin yourself with those dreams..lol
They do keep up and occasionally win. If it's a stick it's a good race. Sounds like you haven't lined up against one.
Old 08-14-2002, 01:58 PM
Racer

Old 08-14-2002, 02:38 PM

Looks like you probably own an Altima too cause it has 240hp, you sound like a marketing junkie......

BMW's did the 0-60 sprint in under 6 seconds with the OLD 189hp I-6. Only 189hp. HP is not everything, let's talk TORQUE

BMW's underated their engines to me. Or they are accurate. I guess any car without 260hp is just plain stupid to own huh?
Old 08-14-2002, 03:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Scooter
since the average Vette (NON Z06) runs around the same time, i'd bet money 8 out of 10 times, the SMG will win...i highly doubt the driver's gonna shift nearly as perfectly as the SMG, AND i hardly think the driver can shift at the optimal RPM's as the SMG
An average Vette and 6 speed E46 M3 run around the same time, but the SMG is about .5 slower in reality at the track. SMG is for people who havent learned how to properly drive a high powered RWD car or for people who do like to shift.
Old 08-14-2002, 03:28 PM
Grls lov shiftn my stick

My German car list in order....

1. Benz
2. Porsche
3. Tie
BMW
Audi
5. VW

I love German cars, but some of there up-keep is expensive compared to Japanese cars. But if I was going to buy one, it would be just like my dads.....CL55 AMG!! AWESOME!!!
Old 08-14-2002, 03:41 PM
Moderator Alumnus

An average Vette and 6 speed E46 M3 run around the same time, but the SMG is about .5 slower in reality at the track. SMG is for people who havent learned how to properly drive a high powered RWD car or for people who do like to shift.
I agree that's why some of the fastest cars are using it

cough cough M3 CSL cough cough F1 cough cough
Old 08-14-2002, 03:49 PM
Grls lov shiftn my stick

They use it in racing because one less thing for the driver to do at 200 mph...the better. Does it make it better just because it's in F1, probably not. In the normal world it’s a added bonus....it spares your left leg from cramping up!! Which is a good thing at times..
Old 08-14-2002, 03:54 PM
Suzuka Master

You can argue all day because you bought a SMG, but on a M3 IT IS FASTER, End of story.

FYI: The Sequential gearbox in a F1 shares very little in common with the SMGs in production cars.
Old 08-14-2002, 04:26 PM
4th Gear

Crusing along in 4th gear @50 mph, Blue CL-Stype pulls up next to me, looking at me passing me, slowing down, continuously for a half mile. I dropped it into 3rd and saw the Honda nowhere to be found
hhmm. I have a 330Ci. His choice of gears vs speed doesn't make any sense. Sounds like a made up story from a guy trying to pick a fight. :o
Old 08-14-2002, 04:35 PM
shooting for 1200+rwhp

this guy is tripping me out. I know damn well my CLS can beat the piss out of a 330ci. I have a buddy who just bought a 325ci, paid $36k, way too much, and I blew the doors off him too. I know the 330ci has what, 30 more HP, but somehow I dont believe you killed him. If you did, im sure the CL you raced wasnt ready. From all the different threads that have been posted about the 330 vs CLS, this is just another attempt to talk shit. No one really cares anymore, but anyways, if you beat him I guess I have to say good job but next time, race a manual and see what happens

Quick Reply: One of you guys