ONDERGROUND-DESIGN present body kit SEMA REPLICA

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2002, 11:54 PM
Full-Time IDIoT---DoH!!!

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

i love the way the muffler is incorporated into the rear lip in this picture, definitely a rear lip lioke that would look awesome and complement the cL well HOWEVER, from the side the rear lip looks too plain, just make it a bit more noticeable in a classy way
Old 10-17-2002, 11:54 PM
ALi G in the House!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i might be in..i want more info though..
Old 10-18-2002, 12:01 AM
Advanced

Originally posted by unsure
I'd love to see this side skirt on the CL, and this front lip is not bad either

I think the Cl would look sweet w/this kit and we would still be able 2 drop the car decently
What? No one likes the Brabus Rims? Or the M3 mirrors?
Hahaha jp

But yea, I'd really like to see how the SEMA replica turns out! That's about as OEM as you can get!!
Old 10-18-2002, 12:45 AM
Racer

im in...only thing..every single cl is gona have the same body kit?? this calls for a custom paint job..LOL
Old 10-18-2002, 02:17 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts
work looks pretty good, I am feelin the altima kit from the back and sides, but would be in for the SEMA replica kit in the front. How much lower would the kit make the car from stock? oh yeah, here's a couple of pics of what i feel would be ideal:

or
Old 10-18-2002, 03:23 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts

Old 10-18-2002, 06:23 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Only thing I don't want is Rice..... and FiberGlass. I would be more willing for Eurothane kit. I hate when fiberglass cracks or gets hit at 80 mph on the highway and splits/cracks.
Old 10-18-2002, 06:54 AM
Suzuka Master

how bout make a kit just like the tl-s , just bolt-ons all around that dont' need modification? Im sure this will be much more easier than redoing a bumper. everyone loves how charles car looks. sleek and VERY CLEAN.
Old 10-18-2002, 07:19 AM
Intermediate

Forget urethane...

just the mold cost approx 30 000$ and we need to make 50 000 copy at the same time.... an 800 000$ investment before selling one

Ok so you guy like the sema front, the one i have posted... with the altima rear....

it this right ?

You can submit any body kit from any car...... and photoshop on a CL

I would like to see reply from people who want to buy it.... or plan to do.... instead of having lots of opinion and enlarge this thread...

Ok tell me if this is right

any other options ?
Old 10-18-2002, 07:39 AM
PACDAT

MAke it look like RONDOGS PICS!! either one is nice..
Old 10-18-2002, 08:11 AM
PACDAT

RONDOGS picture #1 bumper and picture #2 sideskirts.

RONDOG hook that up..
Old 10-18-2002, 08:23 AM
East Coast Boost.!

I agree with jucee187
Old 10-18-2002, 08:57 AM
Old timer

Suggestion: Someone just post him the TL kit. See if he can even do just that. Should be simple and easy. Maybe if he can do that, a design which there are easily 10 people who would want it, and it comes out nice and looks right, then maybe after that have him do a ricier SEMA-style kit.
Old 10-18-2002, 08:59 AM
Intermediate

Don't Go Changing

In my opinion, the point is to reproduce the SEMA as closely as possible. Introducing several alternates/modifications to the SEMA-look practically means designing another kit altogether. Please keep it as close as possible.
Old 10-18-2002, 09:09 AM
trying to get a lil V-I

Re: ONDERGROUND-DESIGN present body kit SEMA REPLICA

eric,

the appeal of this kit is the subtlety of the design:

notice in this pic the ever so slight lip on the outer edges and the one inch lengthening of the front bumper.

again, this design doesn't detract too far from the original bumper, just slightly extended.

As for the side...although hard to see in this picture, the front edge actually extends up to the first crease line in the body. Perfect IMO.

I'm not a big fan of that Altima kit you presented us. There is no need for that lower line as it doesn't flow with the rest of the body. notice on this image there is an ever so slight lip right in the center. Maybe incorporate that w/o the extra grey section.

Also I'm sure people would be interested in a rear lip spoiler similar to this picture.

Now another option that CharlesNguyen has already alluded to would be to do the conversion of an OEM TL body kit to fit ours:

more pics are here: http://www.2carlsons.net/CharlesNguyen/

sorry...the images are enormous so i'm just going to post two pics

either option I think would gurantee your success with making sales on this forum.
Old 10-18-2002, 09:20 AM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Whoa rondogs' pics are looking very nice. Either one of those i'd go for.
Old 10-18-2002, 09:47 AM
Sick Spd Owner

Well, i personally think that in order to run a business, you need to take chances and make investments. If you produce something remotely close to the SEMA kit and take pics, post them here, you'll have 25+ people ordering, easy. $2000-$3000 investment isnt that much. I'd be one.
Old 10-18-2002, 10:00 AM
Rod
Drifting

Originally posted by hughesne
Well, i personally think that in order to run a business, you need to take chances and make investments. If you produce something remotely close to the SEMA kit and take pics, post them here, you'll have 25+ people ordering, easy. $2000-$3000 investment isnt that much. I'd be one.
If a company is confident in its work it should be able to make a relatively minor investment to get sales. I don't like the whole giving money before seeing the product idea, since this won't be a one-time custom design for which I will be the one making all the decisions...like the case has been for most of the custom bodykits for the CL up to now. This company obviously sees that there's interest here, but people will always be hesitant to give money without seeing a finished product first and without knowing much about the company/people their getting to do the work for them.
Old 10-18-2002, 10:11 AM
Former Sponsor

Chikai convinced me. SEMA, thats the way to go, but it has to be the SEMA kit all around, including the rear with lightly different exhaust cutouts. I especially like how the kit utilizes the stock fog lights. Is there any way a bumper kit can be made to fit right over the original bumper without removing it?
Old 10-18-2002, 10:24 AM
Revving at 9K...

Wish this was posted 3 month ago..

Damn.. why didn't this happen three month ago (before I got the TL-kit put on), I would have been in for sure..

But I'm still very interested. How much for just the front bumper? Can I just buy the front bumper? If so, I think I would be in as well. (given that it dosen't deviate too much from the original)
Old 10-18-2002, 10:34 AM
Banned

Originally posted by unsure
I'd love to see this side skirt on the CL, and this front lip is not bad either

I think the Cl would look sweet w/this kit and we would still be able 2 drop the car decently
woah, my car got all riced out!

I think that is a bit too much, the TL kit would look perfect on our cars.
Old 10-18-2002, 10:42 AM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
just do the sema kit.

everyone has been asking for it for 2 years now... dont go gettin all new ideas. its what ya want. its what looks good.

IMO, no offense to anyone of course, but the TL kit on the CL looks terrible... it doesnt fit with the lines of the CL at all and it does not look very clean. Its definately the best alternative out there now... but its not something I would WANT for this car.

The SEMA kit is the best deal. However the SEMA car isnt a kit, its an entirely new body design... New bumpers, new sides, new everything.

I dont think we all want that. I think we want a kit which bolts on to factory bumpers.

Perhaps rondy or whoever made that IS kit can continue chopping a kit which looks extremely similar to the sema CL but is simply lips & flares rather then new bumper design?
Old 10-18-2002, 10:43 AM
The Creator

Originally posted by SilverBullet
woah, my car got all riced out!

thats not rice in any meaning of the word.

very sexy if you ask me.
Old 10-18-2002, 10:46 AM
Banned

Originally posted by soopa

very sexy if you ask me.
True, just the front end is a bit too big to me. I like more of a kit that doesn't stick out so much if you know what I mean.
Old 10-18-2002, 11:02 AM
Team Owner

I “might” be in on this, but it wouldn’t be until SPRING of next year.
It’s gonna start snowing here in a few weeks and it’s the wrong time of the year to be making my car any lower.

As for my opinion on what has been shown here so far, I think the best is still the SEMA CL and/or a duplication of the Acura OEM TL kit.
It needs to be something that bolts right on and I don’t think the SEMA can be duplicated as a direct bolt on application.
Combine the best attributes of both and go with that.
Ideally, I would actually want something that I can UN-BOLT the front section for winter driving.
I regularly drive through 6+ inches of snow and I don’t want to be plowing it for the township.

Hopefully some of you “sunny weather” folks will have these things installed and posting photos in a few months.

Shawn S

PS…. As for the “up front money” situation.
Have you considered factoring the design time into the final cost of the kit and just take like a 400-dollar deposit or something instead?
I think this would be better received and you might have more takers and less arguing over the money.
Believe me…This place LOVES to argue.
Old 10-18-2002, 11:02 AM
Revving at 9K...

soopa, I think that the TL kit on a CL looks very OEM. It looks very "stock" yet gives it a little more aggressive look to our cars. Granted that my car did not turn out a nice as Charles did. But I think that by you saying the Kit looks terrible on a CL is "almost" like saying the TL with a kit looks terrible as well. (I think Charles's car looks like a 2 door TL, which is awsome! IMO)

But all in all, I agree with you that we need a sema kit for our cars to set ourselfs apart from the TL's or just flat out look better than stock.
Old 10-18-2002, 11:05 AM
Drifting

I'm only down for the SEMA kit. Anything else, and its not worth it for me. I don't like the TL kit on our cars. How much is the downpayment? How many people have ordered it so far? If you can make the sema kit with VERY VERY minor difference I'm in.

spiro
Old 10-18-2002, 11:41 AM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Sema kit all the way, I would jump on it as soon as it is available.
Old 10-18-2002, 11:45 AM
Three Wheelin'

I could be in for the SEMA kit, but I am partial to the bumper replacement over the bolt on like the OEM TL kit.
Old 10-18-2002, 11:50 AM
Instructor

Why not just do the sema replica with minor change as the original suggested

forget about the altima back......why would anyone want their cl looks like a altima?????

if it's not the sema kit with subtle minor change.......i rather keep it the way it was.

I have a bad feeling about this.......going to turn out bad with many ppl throwing ideal and it's only gonna confused onderground.

:
Old 10-18-2002, 11:58 AM
Sick Spd Owner

I think every "SEMA KIT" thread ends up this way, skeptics. Thats why i think you, onground, need to front the investment, use soopa's car for the mold, produce it, mount it, take pics of it, post it, and we'll buy it. Until then, i dont think you'll get 10 peeps to front you the cash. I think if you took a poll of how many people would buy it AFTER they see real pics of it, you'd be pleasantly suprised.
Old 10-18-2002, 12:03 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by soopa

very sexy if you ask me.
Haha YEA! some support!! Don't u guys like the M3 mirrors too?
Old 10-18-2002, 12:08 PM
Rod
Drifting

Originally posted by hughesne
I think every "SEMA KIT" thread ends up this way, skeptics. Thats why i think you, onground, need to front the investment, use soopa's car for the mold, produce it, mount it, take pics of it, post it, and we'll buy it. Until then, i dont think you'll get 10 peeps to front you the cash. I think if you took a poll of how many people would buy it AFTER they see real pics of it, you'd be pleasantly suprised.
Exactly, plus you can work with Soopa on the design since he has a very good idea of what most people on here want in a body kit, something clean and subtle that flows with the car's lines and looks elegant (the SEMA kit)...or at least I hope he does.
Old 10-18-2002, 12:16 PM
The Creator

exactly. we want a SEMA-like-kit, that bolts on.

they can have my car for 3 weeks.

and im sure that between just a HANDFUL of us we can come up with the money to get it made.

$2000 is NOT that much money. I will sponsor it on behalf of A-CL. If you guys would like to help please paypal donations@acura-cl.com... and I'm sure we can work something out where a donation benefits you in some way other then just having this kit available.
Old 10-18-2002, 12:16 PM
Old timer

That silver CL at the top of this page looks hot as heck except for the stupid rounded mirrors. With the regular mirrors it would be complete.

I agree a SEMA kit would be perfectly fine. I just don't have that kind of cash since I just started working this week.
Old 10-18-2002, 12:30 PM
:)

I agree with soopa - The SEMA kit is the only way to go. I also don't like the look of the TL kit on the CL. I don't like the bumper of the silver CL at the top of the page either - Too agressive and flares out too much! The sides are nice though... But like soopa said - lets stick to the SEMA design, and try not to stray too much! Ron dog's ps of the sema kit is too much of a deviation although the side skirts are nice The front bumper should have the cutouts on the side just like the SEMA kit - not more forward with MORE "GILLS" - that is borderline rice
Old 10-18-2002, 01:17 PM
Former Sponsor

here's where the seam for the kit would most likely meet. I like this idea since it is less work in adding a whole new bumper. I just hope it can be pulled off. I also took out the fins so it would be stronger at the seam.
Old 10-18-2002, 02:13 PM
The Creator

that would be sweet if possible. but i higly doubt it would look so clean in actuality
Old 10-18-2002, 02:51 PM
Changin bulbs since '73

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
do you think this is why nobody has come out with a kit for our cars? Is it too complicated to get a good looking kit for this car?
Old 10-18-2002, 03:02 PM
Racer

Originally posted by Loseit
do you think this is why nobody has come out with a kit for our cars? Is it too complicated to get a good looking kit for this car?
It's not that hard to design something clean, more aggressive & stay close to the original flow of the car's design.

The problem is most Fabricators have design team that don't have true design background, they just design garbage w/ tons of vents, big mouths, ect...

True designers w/ true design background work for the auto industries, or the the designer of the SEMA kit for Honda.

If I can find a molder shop in my area that I can hook up, I'll front the money & make/sell SEMA clone, TL-kit...

Quick Reply: ONDERGROUND-DESIGN present body kit SEMA REPLICA