Omfgmyarmsaresotired

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2004, 04:49 AM
shift@8k

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Omfgmyarmsaresotired

as the title says....for those of you who actually took the time to read it...my arms are so tired!!!!!!....but the result was well worth the pain! I recently bought some used headers from idlav67 and in my other thread, was questioning whether or not to jet hot, since they were sorta rusted. After doing a couple of searches, I decided to try and polish them up myself. So armed with some sandpaper, mothers aluminum polish, and a lot of towels....I began the task of killing my arms. Here are some pics...holy crap did i mention my arms hurt...i am sooo out of shape -_-

before...

afterrr...

tomorrow i polish up the last piece.....why is it so big =(

this was my first time ever trying to polish stainless steel, so I was pretty happy with the results. Let me know what you guys think =) Thankssss
Old 11-16-2004, 04:54 AM
Got a Job!

holy shyte my man...you did an excellent job!! keep up the good work!! So I'm assuming you're gonna skip the jet hot? I was debating whether to do it at first as well...but I don't see it being worth the extra cash (I'm a broke bitch). Either way, those look hot man. Again, great job. Shit, wanna polish mine?

P.S. Hit the gym (I know I need to)

`John
Old 11-16-2004, 05:30 AM
shift@8k

hey john how ya been man? yea i pretty much saw the amount jet hot cost and like ran to the auto store and bought some sand paper and polish. oh and suure i'll do your headers.......just uhhh u do the whole sanding and polishing part...i'll wipe them err or something jk, if anyone wants some pointers i'll gladly help em out

....now if anyone in the so cal area wants to help me actually install my headers...that'd be helpful. Pretty headers are pointless if they're not actually in the car i guess
Old 11-16-2004, 06:43 AM
Team Owner

They look GREAT, but unfortunately they’re gonna look just like the first picture in a few weeks/months time.
Old 11-16-2004, 08:09 AM
shift@8k

i was going to try and find some really hi temp clear coat and just spray a few coats on the outside....you guys think that would help? I read on some other boards that people did that. Also, what do you guys think is a good way of cleaning up any residue on the inside of the headers?
Old 11-16-2004, 10:42 AM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Looks brand new man.
Old 11-16-2004, 10:55 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by shinybluecls
i was going to try and find some really hi temp clear coat and just spray a few coats on the outside....you guys think that would help? I read on some other boards that people did that. Also, what do you guys think is a good way of cleaning up any residue on the inside of the headers?
jeeese...your killing me

they look great, but just put them on, can't see the backside anyway, and they'll get yellow again.
Old 11-16-2004, 11:05 AM
Suzuka Master

hmmmm.. where did you pick up the pointers on how to polish those?...
Old 11-16-2004, 11:21 AM
Liquid Ice

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
They look good, but imho there's not much point in polishing them unless you're going to use the JetHot coating or something similar cuz in a month they're gonna rusted again ... Not sure if the high temp clear coat will work. I know awhile back some people were prepping their stone headers with a spray to prevent discoloration but they sprayed it down inside the headers instead of on the outside. Dunno how well it worked tho.
Old 11-16-2004, 11:28 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Smitty
hmmmm.. where did you pick up the pointers on how to polish those?...
I bet he uses the same technique when the “reads” that FHM magazine shown in the pictures.
Old 11-16-2004, 11:38 AM
Racer

haha yea i was just about to comment on that
Old 11-16-2004, 11:39 AM
Suzuka Master

:wackit:
Old 11-16-2004, 11:53 AM
Team Owner

Received 602 Likes on 419 Posts
Wonder what kinda power gains you get from the clean ones

Looks good. I may be doing the same to the set I'm getting. But, unfortunately in about a month, they will be back to looking like exhaust pipes.
Old 11-16-2004, 03:11 PM
shift@8k

yup. if it wasn't for the good thigns in life like fhm, my arm probably would really fallen off. you should seeeeee my collection of fhm and maxim....for some reason for the past year they've been sending me 2 copies of each! ...but back on topiic *ahem*

yeah i heard some guys coated the inside of the headers with atf fluid....anyone heard of this before?? It's supposed to absorb the heat better or something...im not too certain. Any feedback on that would be appreciated.

oh and to smitty. If he never posted that thread on polishing those exhausts I probably would have never thought of doing this.
Old 11-16-2004, 03:16 PM
Audi S4 driver

atf fluid!?
Old 11-16-2004, 03:33 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Originally Posted by shinybluecls
yeah i heard some guys coated the inside of the headers with atf fluid....anyone heard of this before?? It's supposed to absorb the heat better or something...im not too certain. Any feedback on that would be appreciated.

oh and to smitty. If he never posted that thread on polishing those exhausts I probably would have never thought of doing this.
I'm still not quite sure why you did do this. Exhaust I can understand, but the headers will be discolored after a few months anyway. Are you going to remove and clean them every few months? More power to you if you are.

As for the ATF fluid... never heard of such a thing and it doesn't sound like a good idea. I'm sure it won't be a good thing if they gets sucked into the engine....
Old 11-16-2004, 03:37 PM
shift@8k

well i guess i did it because one...there was rust on the mounting plates so i really wanted to clean that up and figured i might as well polish them up and have at least a picture of my car with shiny headers =) and yeaa...that was my reaction to the atf fluid thing too over on the accord boards...
Old 11-16-2004, 03:38 PM
I NEED MONEY!

hot ness....good job
Old 11-16-2004, 04:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by juniorbean
I'm sure it won't be a good thing if they gets sucked into the engine....

Headers exhaust (output).. do not suck in unless you are referring to the INTAKE
you mean A-pipe collector & Cat converter... it will screw up the O2 Sensors for sure...