Okay, I think I made a decision (all you X-PEL people, read this)

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2001, 04:49 PM
is Pretty Much a Moron

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Okay, I think I made a decision (all you X-PEL people, read this)

I was looking at my car, and I think that I have decided to go with X-PEL hood and bumper protection, cuz all my chips are on the hood. I just have a couple questions for all of you that have them. First, do you like it in general? Second, have you noticed cracking, yellowng, etc.? Third, how well does it protect the paint? And finally, if I get it, can I still use waxes and shit?
Oh yeah, one more, is it noticeable?
Thanks.
Old 12-05-2001, 04:58 PM
is Pretty Much a Moron

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
One more thing to clarify: I am talking about the actual company called X-PEL, not ClearBra or other compnaies. The one located at www.clearbra.com (not .net). I know that the above terms are applied to all such bra products loosely sometimes.
Old 12-05-2001, 05:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
My entire front end is clear bra protected including the sideskirts of teh body kit, and some custom pieces.

My advice to you is to purchase X-pel only for the headlights and foglights.

For my front bumper, and side view mirrors. I used the X-pel kit; the X-pel does not wrap around the entire bumper only the very front most parts and has "relief cuts in it which are cut outs in the kit which allow it to wrap around parts better. If I could do it over again, I would have got the ArmorFend bumper piece which goes from wheel well to wheel well covering the entire front bumper with no relief cuts.

For the Hood I went with a custom piece. X-pel only goes to the edges of the Hood leaving an outline all around the edge of the hood, plus its top half runs straight across the hood. The ArmorFend wraps around the bottom and side of the hood, has a nice curve to it which helps it blend in nicely. but but didnt go high enough up the hood for me, so I had the guy custom cut a piece which had a nice curve, wrapped around all the edges, and went up high enough for me, and most impressive of all, the custom cut piece for the hood was much cheaper than the prefab X-pel and ArmorFend pieces.

I also had custom pieces cut for the sideskirts of my body kit to prevent scuff marks from shoes, a custom cut piece for the bodykits front lip, and custom pieces for the sideview mirror bases.

My advice is to let a pro do the install, my guy letft some airbubbles in one of my sideskirts, I showed it to him and without asking what I wanted to do, he said he would redo it no problem. Its harder than it seems, and after watching them do my car, I am gald I didnt spoil the kit and waste that money just to have him do it again. I wasted alot of $$$ by going with an entire X-pel kit first and also by buying the kit on my own.
The detailing guy buys the kits at big discounts, and he can pick and choose among pieces in different kits, so buying through him woudl have saved me even more money. I redid the X-pel hood which I was unappy with and went with a custom piece later on.

Had I known then what I know now and just posted, the money I could have saved would have paid for sways with some change left over. Oh well live and learn.