Oil Level Down in 2003 CL-S

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2002, 09:29 AM
Where is my super sauce?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oil Level Down in 2003 CL-S

OK, I think that I've jinxed myself by asking all those questions on this forum about oil change intervals, break-in oil, etc...

I have about 1500 miles on my 2003 CL-S Manual. I checked the oil this weekend and it is down about 1/2 quart. The oil itself looks clean. No drips under the car (except air conditioner condensation). The oil pan/filter/under engine is clean.

I've pretty much babied this car. About 50/50 highway/city. I followed the break in rules by the book and varied my speed for the first 1000 miles and kept the tach below 4000. Even now I rarely rev more than 4500 - only a couple higher (maybe to 5000) rev'ing passes to get on freeway.

Is is normal for a new engine to go through some oil? (I think the answer is yes - but wanted to get your wise opinions )

What do I do if it goes down a full quart? What oil do I add?

I called my local dealer (Ardmore Acura, PA) and the service manager told me not to worry about it and add 5W-20 if it gets down a quart. I asked him about the famed break-in oil and he told me not to worry about it.

I called Acura Help & Troubleshooting in Torrance and they said that it is normal to go through some oil in the break-in period. They said that there is a special oil with special additives (although he didn't know what) to break in the vehicle. He did not think it would be a problem adding 5W-20 to the car, but really recommended to 'visit my local acura dealer' if this continues to be a problem.

Neither the service manager or the Acura help desk sounded confident in their responses.

Any thoughts? Maybe a Wayne or Jens opinion?

I think that I'll periodically check the oil level...the question, if it goes down a quart do I just add some stuff myself or go to the dealer to check it out? I'm leaning to go to the dealer so they know about it now if oil consumption turns out to be a problem in the long run.
Old 06-10-2002, 09:56 AM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What he said..
I called my local dealer (Ardmore Acura, PA) and the service manager told me not to worry about it and add 5W-20 if it gets down a quart. I asked him about the famed break-in oil and he told me not to worry about it.
Old 06-10-2002, 10:32 AM
Banned

This may sound like a silly question, but was this the first time you checked the oil since you got it? It's possible that it wasn't completely full when you picked it up.

Even if it was full, it is normal for some cars to use oil during break-in. IIRC, Car & Driver a few years back tested a BMW and it was down 1 1/2 quarts at the first oil change and the mechanics at the dealership said it was normal. Now that doesn't sound normal to me, but 1/2 quart like in your case should not be a problem.
Old 06-10-2002, 10:37 AM
Team Owner

Mental note to self:...... (Check oil level for the first time tonight)

Shawn S
Old 06-10-2002, 10:41 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally posted by CO-CL-S
What he said..

Awe no don't even think of believing anything that comes out of their mouths. Who did you talk to? Joe?
Old 06-10-2002, 10:59 AM
Where is my super sauce?

Originally posted by Zapata
Awe no don't even think of believing anything that comes out of their mouths. Who did you talk to? Joe?
Yes, it was Joe (he talks to me like he's my buddy). He didn't sound too confident in his response, hence my call to Acura main help desk in Torrance.

The guy on the line from Acura's mothership sounded like a brainless clod with a list in front of him (if customers asks x, then reply y - if this is not to customer satisfaction then refer to dealer and hang up phone).

I did check the oil once before. I cannot remember if it was totally full, but I do know that it was above 1/2 down.
Old 06-10-2002, 01:21 PM
Where is my super sauce?

Oh, for laughs...

Joe (service manager) suggested that I didn't wait for the oil to drain back into the pan - it always pisses me off when some tech (you get this a lot when troubleshooting these computers) suggests that the problem may only lie in the user and not the product. It goes against the 'customer is number 1 policy' and the American way - 'innocent until proven guilty'.
I'm not that much of an ignoramus - I checked the oil level after about an hour or so of parking in the shade - just after Zaino'ing my car I was cleaning/dusting out the engine compartment and I decided to check the oil. Hopefully an hour of resting in the shade is enough to wait to check the oil.
Old 06-10-2002, 01:43 PM
///M POWER

Same shit happens to my moms caddy. It says low oil whenever i start the car now. But i aint gonna add more oil this time cause i want the car to break so we can get a lexus or some shit.:P
Old 06-10-2002, 02:29 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by darrinb
Same shit happens to my moms caddy. It says low oil whenever i start the car now. But i aint gonna add more oil this time cause i want the car to break so we can get a lexus or some shit.:P
Hopefully, you'll get what you deserve..
Old 06-10-2002, 02:38 PM
Where is my super sauce?

Originally posted by darrinb
Ummm, running a car with low oil pressure or low oil (hence your light) is different then running a car that is down 1/2 quart of its reserve.

Running a car without oil or sufficient oil pressure is asking for a world of hate (unless you are doing one of those Prolong :sqnteek: commercials!).
Old 06-10-2002, 02:54 PM
Capo di Tutti Capi

I had my first oil change done at about 2500 miles and it hadn't lost a drop of oil.
Old 06-10-2002, 03:11 PM
Where is my super sauce?

Klamalama - where do you go for service in the lovely Philadelphia metro area?
Old 06-10-2002, 03:25 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally posted by Slimey
Yes, it was Joe (he talks to me like he's my buddy). He didn't sound too confident in his response, hence my call to Acura main help desk in Torrance.

The guy on the line from Acura's mothership sounded like a brainless clod with a list in front of him (if customers asks x, then reply y - if this is not to customer satisfaction then refer to dealer and hang up phone).

I did check the oil once before. I cannot remember if it was totally full, but I do know that it was above 1/2 down.
That guy is a total tool!!!! He should be working at used car lot. I've had two run-ins with him and Xenon7 has had few as well. Needless to say, we've both stop going to Ardmore for service.
Old 06-10-2002, 08:35 PM
Capo di Tutti Capi

Klamalama - where do you go for service in the lovely Philadelphia metro area?
I happened to be in Miami for that oil change (Miami Acura). I'm going to take it back to my dealer (Sussman in Maple Shade) for alternate oil changes. The other alternate is Monro on Aramingo Ave. because they're cheap. This way it'll get officially recorded every 6K miles and I'll have the peace of mind of getting it changed every 3K. I have a trustworthy local mechanic that I take my cars to for inspections, brakes, etc.
Old 06-10-2002, 09:10 PM
Intermediate

I agree with your computer experience, but I checked my oil at about 400 miles and found it around "low" mark on dipstick. I called the dealer and they asked when I checked the oil [just after stopping or after waiting]. I checked it just after stopping and they told me to wait. I tried again about an hour later, and found normal oil level (just under max). I just checked it again, prompted by this thread, and found it just under max after 2300 miles. Give waiting a shot, but take it in if you still find it low.

Oh, for laughs...

Joe (service manager) suggested that I didn't wait for the oil to drain back into the pan - it always pisses me off when some tech (you get this a lot when troubleshooting these computers) suggests that the problem may only lie in the user and not the product.
Old 06-10-2002, 09:43 PM
Where is my super sauce?

Originally posted by rick I agree with your computer experience, but I checked my oil at about 400 miles and found it around "low" mark on dipstick. I called the dealer and they asked when I checked the oil [just after stopping or after waiting]. I checked it just after stopping and they told me to wait. I tried again about an hour later, and found normal oil level (just under max). I just checked it again, prompted by this thread, and found it just under max after 2300 miles. Give waiting a shot, but take it in if you still find it low.
Warning!!! Major Sarcasm Ahead!!!

The car had been turned off for over an hour and was parked on a level driveway. It was about 75ºF out with 50% humidity. I removed the metal wand; wiped with a clean lintless cloth; re-inserted to it's hub; removed wand; read level of oil by 1) looking at dots for oil, 2) turning the wand at different angles to the sun (light) so I could see top of oil line, and 3) gently wiping the oil away from wand with my fingers to confirm location of top of line. Additional oil residue was wiped with same clean cloth.

I repeated this twice, then waited 5 minutes and rechecked again.

Oil about halfway between dots at all checks. I'll check again later this week.

How long do you think I should wait for a reliable reading? Can you recommend improvement in my technique? I am always happy to learn. I realize that some car work is best left to a qualified mechanic and checking the oil level can be quite technical at times.

I hope I've been pumping the gas correctly. The nozzle goes under that screwtop in the top of the engine, right?