oil change interval

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2001, 05:28 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oil change interval

I notice a lot of people on this forum change their oil every 3000 miles or close to 3000 miles. However, the "normal" maintence schedule in the manual shows 7500 mile oil changes. My question is... Do you think that 7500 is too long to wait? I tend to think that the manufacturer knows what they are talking about since they built the car. I usually drive about 20,000+ miles a year and it would be nice to use the "normal" schedule so that I'm not getting my oil changed every other month.

I also think I fit into the "normal" schedule because my commute to work is 27 miles each way and I don't take a lot of short trips. Of course, it can get cold around here in the winter and pretty hot in the summer, but it's not like it will be driven all year in extreme temperatures.

So, what does everyone think? Is 7500 too high, or do you think it will be safe?

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
San Marino Red / Parchment
non-nav - wheel locks - splash guards
Old 01-02-2001, 05:43 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
3000 to 3500 miles using regular oil. Synthetic oil you can go to 5000. 7500 is not good. Do you think Acura wants your car to last ? Or do you want it to last ?
Mobil 1 Synthetic and Mobil 1 oil filters are the best !
Old 01-02-2001, 05:59 PM
Racer

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Fabvsix:
Do you think Acura wants your car to last ?</font>
While I understand this line of thinking. It always seems interesting to me that people will always say "refer to the owners manual" when it comes to questions concerning the proper operation of features but then we automatically assume the manufacturer is out to screw us by giving us false information as far as the service schedules. I want to believe that Acura says 7500 mile service for a reason other than to make your car not last as long.

They even go as far as to say that if you drive in "severe" conditions occasionally that you can still follow the "normal" service schedule.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S

[This message has been edited by TakeFlight (edited 01-02-2001).]
Old 01-02-2001, 06:24 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by TakeFlight:
While I understand this line of thinking. It always seems interesting to me that people will always say "refer to the owners manual" when it comes to questions concerning the proper operation of features but then we automatically assume the manufacturer is out to screw us by giving us false information as far as the service schedules. I want to believe that Acura says 7500 mile service for a reason other than to make your car not last as long.

They even go as far as to say that if you drive in "severe" conditions occasionally that you can still follow the "normal" service schedule.

</font>
Are you sure? I thought my manual said every 3750? If not, thats how often I been changing it.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
San Marino Red (Navigation)
PIAA 19173 Ion Yellow Fog Lights
Aftermarket Black Wood Trim Kit

Retired: 2000 Acura 3.2 TL
Old 01-02-2001, 06:26 PM
Racer

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by soopa:
Are you sure? I thought my manual said every 3750? If not, thats how often I been changing it.
</font>
You are right. It says every 3750 for "severe" driving conditions and 7500 for "normal" driving conditions. There are two different service schedules that can be followed.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
Old 01-02-2001, 06:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

You can follow the owner's manual suggestions. It doesn't sound like you are in the harsh driving condition category, so 7500 is probably okay for even regular oil. 5000 would be better though if you're using regular oil. I would suggest using synthetic and going 7500. Synthetic really does last a long time. I've got Mobil 1 synth in my car right now with over 5000 miles on the oil and it looks like I just changed it yesterday!!

Here's a link to a site that contains TONS of information about anything automotive related:
http://www.seansa4page.com/resource/autotech.html

I had already decided to use synthetic oil before I found this site, but now that I've read up on synthetic there's no way I'll ever use regular oil again.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2CL Type S
Old 01-02-2001, 06:54 PM
magnet

i change mine every 6000 and i use synthetic

------------------
2001 cl type s,custom voltage blue paint job, comptech headers, 18 inch ssr agle strusse rims, greddy evo exhaust, cross drilled rotors, pioneer avx 7000 tv, playstation2, iceman cold air intake(custom) slammed on nex suspension
Old 01-03-2001, 01:30 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
im' sticking with around 3.5-3.75k miles on regular...i'm putting on less than 10k a year though (9 months, just broke 7k miles).

Old 01-03-2001, 03:09 AM
6SPDCLS

I use to change my 93 Integra every 3 months or about 3500 miles (whichever comes first). I'd always stick with Synthetic..it doesn't break easily even in harsh driving conditions (near redline revs everyday).

Just look at the oil color when you change your oil. Dark Yellow or Sundance gold yellow is color of new oil. Brown color oil is about right when you change your oil fluid. Black is bad.

It doesn't hurt to change it more often. Just a waste of money since you don't use up your oil.

Paying $30k for a car requires good maintenance. The most important piece of maintenance is the oil. It's what keeps your pistons up and down.
Old 01-03-2001, 01:35 PM
Racer

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DDT-TypeS:
It doesn't hurt to change it more often. Just a waste of money since you don't use up your oil.

Paying $30k for a car requires good maintenance. The most important piece of maintenance is the oil. It's what keeps your pistons up and down.
</font>
I realize that changing it more than necessary isn't going to hurt anything but I'd rather not waste my time and money if it's not needed. Since, according to the manufacturer, I will be properly maintaining my car if I change it every 7500 miles.

I have a while before I have to decide this since I only have 260 miles on my car so far. I'm thinking I will check the oil near 3000 and see what it looks like. If it's still yellow/gold than I will probably wait until 7500.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
Old 01-03-2001, 01:47 PM
Someday pigs WILL fly!

I own an Audi A6 2.8L. With Audi all your maintenance is included. The scheduled oil changes are at 7500 miles. Since they are paying for it, I believe they know best. I read somewhere though that what they describe as "severe driving conditions" might just apply to our daily driving. Like stop and go, idling in traffic, etc. If you can run at 60MPH the majority of the time you drive, I think 7500 miles would be okay. If you don't, I think that some measure of 3000-5000 change would be in order.
Old 01-03-2001, 02:06 PM
Racer

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by gto2050:
I read somewhere though that what they describe as "severe driving conditions" might just apply to our daily driving. Like stop and go, idling in traffic, etc. If you can run at 60MPH the majority of the time you drive, I think 7500 miles would be okay. If you don't, I think that some measure of 3000-5000 change would be in order.</font>
Well, my daily commute is a mix of city and highway driving. Most days I don't sit idling for long periods of time. Occasionally there is a lot of traffic and the car may have to sit and idle a bit more than usual. Probably about 14-15 miles of my 27 mile commute is highway. The rest is mostly side roads that usually don't have a ton of traffic.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
Old 01-03-2001, 02:09 PM
Banned

My car has a little over 9K miles on it right now, and I am taking it into Acura today @ 4:30pm for it's 3rd oil change. I am following my Acura Customer Care coupon book that I received with my maintanance plan. Oil changes every 3K miles. I better use them, because I am paying for this plan in my loan.

So all I have to do is give the service people my coupon, wait, get my receipt, and leave. No paying anything for me. And they wash my car for me as well!! It needs it after all this ice/snow crap.

------------------
avengerjr
2001 CL-S Satin Silver
- spoiler
- wheel locks
- mud guards
- fenderwell trim
- 35% tint
- winter floor mats
- full nose mask

"hockey + music + cars = life"
Old 01-03-2001, 02:45 PM
Racer

I am a former Automotive Engineer. I worked with both GM (Pontiac Motors) and Ford (Truck Engine Engineering). I have performed tests on many different types and brands of oil. It is safe to change your oil every 7500 miles if you do "normal" driving. Driving in extremely cold or hot dusty environments is not necessarily "normal". Changing your oil more frequently than recommended by the Mfg. is a waste of money but to each his own. The Mfg's. know that some will exceede their recommended intervals so they take this into account when they recommend a 7500 mile interval.
Just my .02.

------------------
CL-S
White/Parchment
Gold Emblems
Mud Guards / Wheel Locks
Spoiler
Winter Floor Mats
Old 01-03-2001, 02:49 PM
8th Gear

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by avengerjr:
My car has a little over 9K miles on it right now, and I am taking it into Acura today @ 4:30pm for it's 3rd oil change. I am following my Acura Customer Care coupon book that I received with my maintanance plan. Oil changes every 3K miles. I better use them, because I am paying for this plan in my loan.

So all I have to do is give the service people my coupon, wait, get my receipt, and leave. No paying anything for me. And they wash my car for me as well!! It needs it after all this ice/snow crap.

</font>
avengerjr, did you buy your car at David McDavid like I did? I take my car to Goodsen Acura in Irvine for all my work - Wayne is an awesome customer service rep...he recommended changing the oil every 3,750 - regardless of how you drive your car (but doesn't every Cl-S owner drive their car hard?)

------------------
Red CL Type-S

[This message has been edited by Eric the Red (edited 01-03-2001).]
Old 01-03-2001, 04:02 PM
Banned

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Eric the Red:
avengerjr, did you buy your car at David McDavid like I did? I take my car to Goodsen Acura in Irvine for all my work - Wayne is an awesome customer service rep...he recommended changing the oil every 3,750 - regardless of how you drive your car (but doesn't every Cl-S owner drive their car hard?)

</font>
Yup, bought it at McDavid. I just take it back there b/c that is where my Customer Care coupons are good at. And they are only good there. I asked about taking it else where but they won't accept them. I would have to pay. And I am already paying for the maintainance through the plan.

And yeah...If you own a CL-S you need to be driving it hard....otherwise why the heck did you buy it for in the first place

We need to hook up sometime. I live like a mile away from the new Stonebriar Mall in Frisco.

Peace,

------------------
avengerjr
2001 CL-S Satin Silver
- spoiler
- wheel locks
- mud guards
- fenderwell trim
- 35% tint
- winter floor mats
- full nose mask

Old 01-03-2001, 04:08 PM
Racer

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by avengerjr:
And yeah...If you own a CL-S you need to be driving it hard....otherwise why the heck did you buy it for in the first place
</font>
Driving "hard" and "severe" are not necessarily the same thing. Severe driving (defined by the manual) states harsh weather or very dusty conditions along with a lot of short trips. You can drive your car hard but you might not drive it in harsh weather and might take long trips which would mean to me that you fit in the "normal" category.

I think "severe" driving is more of the conditions you drive in and "hard" driving is more of the way you drive, like being heavy footed and taking corners fast.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S

[This message has been edited by TakeFlight (edited 01-03-2001).]
Old 01-03-2001, 04:10 PM
Banned

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by TakeFlight:
Driving "hard" and "severe" are not necessarily the same thing. Severe driving (defined by the manual) states harsh weather or very dusty conditions along with a lot of short trips. You can drive your car hard but you might not drive it in harsh weather and might take long trips which would mean to me that you fit in the "normal" category.

I think "severe" driving is more of the conditions you drive in and "hard" driving is more of the way you drive, like being heavy footed and taking corners fast.

</font>
I agree with you completely. I drive hard, but not really severe. Although we do get a lot of severe weather down here in TX.....

------------------
avengerjr
2001 CL-S Satin Silver
- spoiler
- wheel locks
- mud guards
- fenderwell trim
- 35% tint
- winter floor mats
- full nose mask

Old 01-03-2001, 04:18 PM

Every 3500 miles for me. My dealership that I get it serviced at is ok. They wash it every time I take it there too. And for some reason I've never had to pay for an oil change yet. I think that those jackass's think I bought it there, and that it came with a certain number of free ones!

Don't expect to hear me complaining!
Old 01-03-2001, 04:29 PM
Bagged hybrid

I have been changing the oil every 5k miles for my previous car and now my type-s. I use mostly regular motor oil. My bro, who has an accord, does the same. My parents follow the same schedule and their car has over 90k miles and still running strong.

------------------
2001 Acura CL Type-S Satin Silver/Ebony
Debadged, PIAA Roadlamps, M-11 Turn signals, Comptech Headers, Comptech Springs, custom intake
Old 01-03-2001, 04:56 PM
Instructor

I use mobil 1 only and I change it every 3500 to 4000 and I don't take it to acura,just do it your self save money

------------------
THE LOWER I GET THE MORE YOU SWEAT
Old 01-06-2001, 09:51 PM
10th Gear

I try to change mine every 3000-3500 miles. However, I have a question about the viscosity of oil that can be used. I think that Acura recommends using
SAE 5W-30 oil. I was wondering if using SAE 10W-30 or any other viscosity oils can cause harm to the engine?