OBX SS header Qs after installation( help me out for those who have OBX SS header)

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2002, 03:36 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
OBX SS header Qs after installation( help me out for those who have OBX SS header)

ok my friend and i just finished installinthe OBX SS header. it tooks us almost 4 hours to finish.... took out the stock header took us about 1 hour and half cuz of the stupid fan was so hard to take out anywayz... the fitment was OK.... even tho it was a lil bit off and short but still Doable.

BUT NOW i m all paranoid cuz of the header..
after i reconnect the battery and turn on my engine.. all this smoke came out (I know it s normal cuz it s new ) but i dont know about the sound.....
it sure sounds MUCH louder than before BUT it sounds weird.... SOUNDS like when i was driving without my mufflers...it sound ROUGH.....especially when i was driving under 2000 RPM... it has these lil click sounds and it disappears after i reach over 2000 RPM....... so can anybody tell me if this sounds normal???
cuz i m thinking because of the fitment wasnt that good.. so the screws cannot tight the pipes too well , then somewhere might be leaking???? ( cuz of my CAI.. i cant really hear shit from the header)
how can i found out if the header is leakin??
i cant really feel THAT MUCH FASTER but i m sure it s faster but not as much as i expected....

PLZ tell me how ur car sound with OBX header... btw: i have greddy exhausts...
Old 11-21-2002, 03:48 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Could you have some "minor" exhaust leaks?

Do you have a length of hose you could get near/next to the header pipes to see if there are leaks?

Did you retorque the headers to make sure they are tight enough, but not too tight?

How did the exhaust gaskets look (if you re-used the original ones)?

I don't know if this is the "solution", but it might help...

YMMV
Old 11-21-2002, 03:51 AM
Suzuka Master

"...it has these lil click sounds and it disappears after i reach over 2000 RPM..."
This is what I used to get when I had a crack in my mild steel headers near the cylinder head (exhaust ports). I'm not saying you have a crack, just the sound would "fade away" as the revs went up and were most noticeable as "ticking" at 1000 - 2000 rpm (especially around 1200-1500 in my 4-banger).
Old 11-21-2002, 03:52 AM
Retired. Not available.

Why the heck did you guys take out the fan for? The stock manifold should be out in 30min.

I didnt have any smoke came out. If you did, you probably didnt have a good seal. If it sounds like you running without muffler then you need to check all the bolts and the joints. I believe you have a big leak somewhere. Click click sound is normal at idle.
Old 11-21-2002, 04:05 AM
Team Owner

Originally posted by EricL
Could you have some "minor" exhaust leaks?

Do you have a length of hose you could get near/next to the header pipes to see if there are leaks?

Did you retorque the headers to make sure they are tight enough, but not too tight?

How did the exhaust gaskets look (if you re-used the original ones)?

I don't know if this is the "solution", but it might help...

YMMV
the gaskets acutally looked pretty good... so i didnt use the original ones.. and the Header FIT TIGHT....i dont know if it s too tight but they r pretty tight ...i cant hear the rear manifold cuz it s too deep down .. and cuz of the CAI is in the front all i can hear is the CAI sucking air sound.... and ur scaring me with ur 4 banger story

PS.. where u from EricL? if u dont live so far away from me.. we can meet up and u tell me if this sound is normal.
Old 11-21-2002, 04:11 AM
Team Owner

Originally posted by SilverKnight
Why the heck did you guys take out the fan for? The stock manifold should be out in 30min.

I didnt have any smoke came out. If you did, you probably didnt have a good seal. If it sounds like you running without muffler then you need to check all the bolts and the joints. I believe you have a big leak somewhere. Click click sound is normal at idle.

we only took out one of the fan cuz the wrench was too long
and because one of the stock screw was TOOOOOOO tight.... took me 30 mins to get that ONE screw down.
u didnt have any smoke came out? um.. cuz when i installed my exhausts.. there was A LOT OF smoke came out too...my friends S2000 when he put in his DC header.. smoke came out too... and it has the burning smell.
SO HOW does ur sounds when u first installed it???i really wanna compare....and i know the click sound is normal at idle but it has the sound when i m driving like... let s say i m driving 40 MPH and i left off the gas, then i step the gas A LIL bit (below 2000 RPM) then it will has that CLick sound and sounds like NOT enough power then if i step a lil more (over 2000 rpm) then all this WHOOOOMMMMMM sound
Old 11-21-2002, 04:22 AM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's normal. WHen I first installed my headers I first experienced the burning smell too. I wouldnt go and say it was alot of smoke...but it was definitely noticable. As for peeps saying headers dont make any additional noise...they must be deaf. Espeically with the CAI I can hear the headers well under 2k rpm. As I've mentioned before...it sounds as though more air is travelling through the pipes (like in muscle cars)...very unluxury like.
Old 11-21-2002, 04:31 AM
Team Owner

wheeewwwww =)

but there wasnt A LOT Of smoke but there was SMOKe (from my under my hood and my exhausts).. there was alot of smoke when i installed my exhausts.(1 year ago).. =)

the sound of my car totoally changed... from 2000rpm all the way to redline... Especially around 3000-4000
Old 11-21-2002, 04:54 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by edgalang
That's normal. WHen I first installed my headers I first experienced the burning smell too. I wouldnt go and say it was alot of smoke...but it was definitely noticable. As for peeps saying headers dont make any additional noise...they must be deaf. Espeically with the CAI I can hear the headers well under 2k rpm. As I've mentioned before...it sounds as though more air is travelling through the pipes (like in muscle cars)...very unluxury like.
Call me deaf.... I'm older, so my high frequency hearing is going down from too much rock music earlier on....

I used to notice a light "plinking" sound when I ran very thin mild steel headers. I haven't noticed the sound with the hood down or up.

I suppose "any" is a subjective word and I just don't notice it (that's all I'm saying -- I don't notice it).

I think there was a slight burnt smell at one stop (grease can get on the headers and a tiny bit will make a stink along with anything else getting "baked."
Old 11-21-2002, 05:02 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by oonowindoo
the gaskets acutally looked pretty good... so i didnt use the original ones.. and the Header FIT TIGHT....i dont know if it s too tight but they r pretty tight ...i cant hear the rear manifold cuz it s too deep down .. and cuz of the CAI is in the front all i can hear is the CAI sucking air sound.... and ur scaring me with ur 4 banger story

PS.. where u from EricL? if u dont live so far away from me.. we can meet up and u tell me if this sound is normal.
I did some consulting in Walnut for a test equipment maker -- it's not the closest location...

If you're concerned about this, you can always grab a length of rubber tubing and that will work fine for listening near the front banks. It you need to sneak to the rear or where you might burn the rubber, you can find a piece of any old thin metal tubing that can fit into the rubber hose.

This is a "poor mans stethoscope" -- you just point the end of the hose/tube and check for any "puffing." If you don't hear any "puffing" near the junction of the gaskets or any other gas seals, you’re fine.

When I mentioned the crack -- that Is a whole different story. The headers were mild steel and I had to weld them up to death. They were fine for a while and I mentioned the cracks for a reference to the "pinking"/"puffing" sound. I'M NOT SAYING YOU HAVE A CRACK!!!!! The headers I had were subject to hardening and would keep cracking until I turned in to weld-master....

Stainless is different and doesn't harden like mild steel headers...
Old 11-21-2002, 05:20 AM
Old timer

You hooked the 02 sensor back up, right?
Old 11-21-2002, 05:51 AM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Call me deaf.... I'm older, so my high frequency hearing is going down from too much rock music earlier on....
My apologise, by no means did I try to offend anyone, but for some odd reason I don't see how anyone could not notice the noise increase, since accelerating under 2k rpm makes more noise than the CAI. Maybe I'm just too anal and should turn on my stereo more frequently. I tend to drive in silence unless I have passengers on board.
Old 11-21-2002, 05:52 AM
Team Owner

Originally posted by JRock
You hooked the 02 sensor back up, right?
Old 11-21-2002, 05:55 AM
Team Owner

I did some consulting in Walnut for a test equipment maker -- it's not the closest location...

If you're concerned about this, you can always grab a length of rubber tubing and that will work fine for listening near the front banks. It you need to sneak to the rear or where you might burn the rubber, you can find a piece of any old thin metal tubing that can fit into the rubber hose.

This is a "poor mans stethoscope" -- you just point the end of the hose/tube and check for any "puffing." If you don't hear any "puffing" near the junction of the gaskets or any other gas seals, you’re fine.

When I mentioned the crack -- that Is a whole different story. The headers were mild steel and I had to weld them up to death. They were fine for a while and I mentioned the cracks for a reference to the "pinking"/"puffing" sound. I'M NOT SAYING YOU HAVE A CRACK!!!!! The headers I had were subject to hardening and would keep cracking until I turned in to weld-master....

Stainless is different and doesn't harden like mild steel headers...

Do u think i will see any white smoke comes out when the car is cold? like in a low temp day?
Old 11-21-2002, 08:03 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weird my regular craftsman 3/8 rachet and 12mm socket fit find in front of the fan. The only one I had problems with was the one next to the alternator, I had to use a elbow to get that one, but still removed the front in under 15 min.

Originally posted by oonowindoo

we only took out one of the fan cuz the wrench was too long
and because one of the stock screw was TOOOOOOO tight.... took me 30 mins to get that ONE screw down.
u didnt have any smoke came out? um.. cuz when i installed my exhausts.. there was A LOT OF smoke came out too...my friends S2000 when he put in his DC header.. smoke came out too... and it has the burning smell.
SO HOW does ur sounds when u first installed it???i really wanna compare....and i know the click sound is normal at idle but it has the sound when i m driving like... let s say i m driving 40 MPH and i left off the gas, then i step the gas A LIL bit (below 2000 RPM) then it will has that CLick sound and sounds like NOT enough power then if i step a lil more (over 2000 rpm) then all this WHOOOOMMMMMM sound
Old 11-21-2002, 12:03 PM
Suzuka Master

the smoke and the burning smell is totally normal. The coating has to wear off, and while it was smoking it should have turned from a silver color to blue then to a nice rich gold color.

I have noticed some strange noises from the OBX headers also. A few of us here have noticed the same thing. Mine make a slightly annoying resonance sound at around 2500 rpm which sounds somewhat like a loose panel rattling around. The entire engine note of my car changed a little too. Definitely noticable difference in tone.

I think it's normal. I wouldn't worry
Old 11-21-2002, 12:21 PM
Banned

i had a burning smelll..slight smoke for about 5 minutes after initail start up after install but never again....i for one, love the new sound of the car, think it sounds stronger and more menacing!
Old 11-21-2002, 12:31 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Originally posted by cusdaddy
the smoke and the burning smell is totally normal. The coating has to wear off, and while it was smoking it should have turned from a silver color to blue then to a nice rich gold color.

I have noticed some strange noises from the OBX headers also. A few of us here have noticed the same thing. Mine make a slightly annoying resonance sound at around 2500 rpm which sounds somewhat like a loose panel rattling around. The entire engine note of my car changed a little too. Definitely noticable difference in tone.

I think it's normal. I wouldn't worry
I have the same resonance sound at 2800 rpm... The good thing is that the sound may wear down if it has to do with the flex section of the headers...
Old 11-21-2002, 12:31 PM
Banned

Hey Gavin.....did you torque the bolts to spec? If you didnt use a torque wrench that could be a problem....the stock gaskets should have been alright....smoking is normal...just blowing out the crap thats inside. The burning smell is normal...all parts with new welds...that get high temps will create a smell...like when you repipe your car. You should check where the runners meet the A-pipe (downpipe)...there could be a leak there as well....I still suspect its cuz they probably arent torqued properly in the rear bank...as it is a bitch to get to those bolts.
Old 11-21-2002, 04:45 PM
Team Owner

hey...
i didnt use the Torque wrench... cuz we didnt have any.. just the regular hand wrench.....this weekend when i go back home.. i will try to figure out if it was leaking... but no one nears around me has OBX header =(
Old 11-21-2002, 05:52 PM
Banned

Get a torque wrench...and torque it to spec.
Old 11-21-2002, 06:58 PM
Team Owner

yah i will try to go to some shop this weekend and do it... and u only registered 1 month before me?? how the hell did u get 6 times more posts than me?
Old 11-23-2002, 10:47 PM
Cruisin'

Installed headers this week, no smoke and sound is not noticably different. I did not disconnect the battery I thought I would let time and milage reset fuel. Car does seem to have more pep. I have put about a 200 miles since the change.