OBX Headers installed, and helped install COMPTECHs same night..

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2002, 12:36 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OBX Headers installed, and helped install COMPTECHs same night..

People who are bashing the OBX need to hush. The OBX headers went on with more ease than the COMPTECHs did. I did not need to drill out the holes, or force anything to get them on. Everything fit perfectly. No need to push the exhaust up either.

The only issue I was was how close the O2 was to the tranny. It actually touches the tranny when its all mounted. So that has me a bit worried. Other than that...everything was perfect.

The rear header popped on with a tight snug fit, and we bolted it up.

Front one went on as well with a snug fit and bolted up.

I think the problem people are having, is not lining the header up on all the bolts and sliding it on STRAIGHT. If you get the slightlest angle it will not go on easy. If you keep it perfectly aligned, it slides PERFECTLY on. I have detail pics, and soon a how-to.

Took me 1 hr to remove the stockers, about 1 hr to install the new one back on.

I helped Austin install his Comptechs, and let me tell you, we had a hell of a time making the rear downpipe attach to the manifold. It was off by 1/2 inch and we had the stuff still a little loose.

Don't bitch about quality either, they both look identical. Wish we had them both off the cars but Austin ran a bit late, so I didn't want to wait for him. But we got it all up. Austins car too 4 hrs, with a major problem with one nut rounded by the dealer, took about 45 min for us to get that off.

But anyways, pics will be up sometime this weekend...

I haven't pushed the car yet. I want to let the headers break in easy...so those results will be later.
Old 11-16-2002, 01:00 AM
///M POWER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i wanna see pics
Old 11-16-2002, 01:02 AM
Ain't No Other...

did the one with the OBX Badge go in the rear or the front bank of the manifold???
Old 11-16-2002, 01:28 AM
still a Masshole

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The logo usually goes in the back. I haven't installed mine yet but you can see that the logoed pipes are for the rear.
Old 11-16-2002, 04:19 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
Re: OBX Headers installed, and helped install COMPTECHs same night..

Originally posted by SilverBullet
The only issue I was was how close the O2 was to the tranny. It actually touches the tranny when its all mounted. So that has me a bit worried. Other than that...everything was perfect.
yeah, that sounds pretty good

I haven't pushed the car yet. I want to let the headers break in easy...

...and weren't austins headers used
Old 11-16-2002, 07:41 AM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Congrats... seems you are good to go...VTEC Hi-lobe range!
Old 11-16-2002, 08:32 AM
Banned

Originally posted by SinnedTL
did the one with the OBX Badge go in the rear or the front bank of the manifold???
Yes the one with the badge went to the rear.
Old 11-16-2002, 08:33 AM
Banned

Re: Re: OBX Headers installed, and helped install COMPTECHs same night..

Originally posted by mattg
yeah, that sounds pretty good

...and weren't austins headers used [/B]
??
Old 11-16-2002, 08:52 AM
Moderator Alumnus

You saved $, we're happy.

Touching the tranny

Yup, their built exactly the same...
Old 11-16-2002, 08:56 AM
Banned

Originally posted by SiGGy
You saved $, we're happy.

Touching the tranny

Yup, their built exactly the same...
Not exactly, but quality is fine for $350...

http://www.5thgenmaximas.com/silverbullet/obxinstall/ PICTURES

Remember they were made for the Accord not our car. I doubt the o2 touches the accord tranny.

Edit:

Also after thinking about it, the part of the O2 that touches the tranny, is the forward half of the ypipe. The side of the tranny it touches is the part that is attached directly to the engine. So if the engine rotates the exhaust willl as well so it won't cause the O2 to move around, it will just stay planted. The only concern is vibrations, and exhaust has those already.
Old 11-16-2002, 09:29 AM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Any added noise...resonance sound around 2800 rpm
Old 11-16-2002, 09:30 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Not exactly, but quality is fine for $350...

http://www.5thgenmaximas.com/silverbullet/obxinstall/ PICTURES

Remember they were made for the Accord not our car. I doubt the o2 touches the accord tranny.

Edit:

Also after thinking about it, the part of the O2 that touches the tranny, is the forward half of the ypipe. The side of the tranny it touches is the part that is attached directly to the engine. So if the engine rotates the exhaust willl as well so it won't cause the O2 to move around, it will just stay planted. The only concern is vibrations, and exhaust has those already.
I was just messin with ya

Ya, I can see your concern though. As long as the pipe isn't rubbing to bad. I think your the 1st to mention anything like this happening. At least that I can recall.
Old 11-16-2002, 09:42 AM
Happy CL-S Pilot

I guess mine has enough clearance... no rubbing but the only complaint is some resonance sound around 2800 rpm.

What do you think?
Old 11-16-2002, 12:04 PM
Got BOOST????

my obx headers pull my exhaust forward and make my exhaust pipes move. the right side is higer and sticks out more than the left side.
Old 11-16-2002, 01:01 PM
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by bnavarro
my obx headers pull my exhaust forward and make my exhaust pipes move. the right side is higer and sticks out more than the left side.
are you sure it wasn't like that before the install? I;ts a known issue with our exhausts last I heard.
Old 11-16-2002, 02:08 PM
Suzuka Master

My OBX headers went on very smoothly. The badge went on the back. I would have thought the other way, but the guys who did my install learned that from a previous OBX install, so that took less time to mess with. No fitiment issues whatsoever. Whole install took a little over 2 hours.

My O2 sensor is fine, but the only annoyance is the resonance sound at 2800. Instead of getting better over time, it's only gotten louder. No biggie though. Love the performance
Old 11-16-2002, 03:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
Re: Re: Re: OBX Headers installed, and helped install COMPTECHs same night..

??

you suck at the quoting :o
Old 11-16-2002, 03:53 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Nashua_Night_Hawk
Any added noise...resonance sound around 2800 rpm
The only thing I notice is my HKS a bit louder around that rpm, but thats it. I defintely notice a huge power increase throughout the powerband. My VSA light is on solid almost through 1st gear with the tires screaming. The car is still learning I am sure, hehhehehe :P Engine sounds alot more throaty than before.
Old 11-16-2002, 03:55 PM
Banned

Thats interesting. Yours has a good inch of space. Wonder why mine was against it.
Old 11-16-2002, 04:14 PM
Banned

Here are pictures of the O2 sensor body touching the tranny. The wires are not just the body. And I do not see any sign of movement.

http://www.5thgenmaximas.com/silverb...l/o2%20sensor/
Old 11-16-2002, 09:14 PM
Subie Dubie

Re: OBX Headers installed, and helped install COMPTECHs same night..

People who are bashing the OBX need to hush. The OBX headers went on with more ease than the COMPTECHs did. I did not need to drill out the holes, or force anything to get them on. Everything fit perfectly. No need to push the exhaust up either.

The rear header popped on with a tight snug fit, and we bolted it up.

Front one went on as well with a snug fit and bolted up.

I think the problem people are having, is not lining the header up on all the bolts and sliding it on STRAIGHT. If you get the slightlest angle it will not go on easy. If you keep it perfectly aligned, it slides PERFECTLY on. I have detail pics, and soon a how-to.

Took me 1 hr to remove the stockers, about 1 hr to install the new one back on.

I helped Austin install his Comptechs, and let me tell you, we had a hell of a time making the rear downpipe attach to the manifold. It was off by 1/2 inch and we had the stuff still a little loose.

Don't bitch about quality either, they both look identical. Wish we had them both off the cars but Austin ran a bit late, so I didn't want to wait for him. But we got it all up. Austins car too 4 hrs, with a major problem with one nut rounded by the dealer, took about 45 min for us to get that off.

But anyways, pics will be up sometime this weekend...

I haven't pushed the car yet. I want to let the headers break in easy...so those results will be later.
Don't worry, there is no break in on the headers. Just floor it
Old 11-16-2002, 10:03 PM
Got BOOST????

Originally posted by zeroday
are you sure it wasn't like that before the install? I;ts a known issue with our exhausts last I heard.
Nope, def not. acuratypesboi noticed it when i passed him. I also had to port them alot. like about 1/8' all the way around the flange. i matched them up to the stock gaskets to know how much to exactly grind away. The car if fucking really loud now. i also had my exhaust resonator taken out awhile ago, and a custom pipe made from the catback.
Old 11-17-2002, 09:31 AM
Advanced

Porting an 1/8" around the flange on the OBX's looks to me like it would cut into the weld of the runners. I've ported the "inside" of the flange to match the pipe i.d. maybe a 1/16"

The OEM gasket has considerably larger port area than the OBX/Accord gasket...logic says one would want to err with a larger port on the header side in relation to the manifold rather than what we end up with the OBX being smaller than the J32A2 exhaust port.

Old 11-17-2002, 03:57 PM
Got BOOST????

Originally posted by hinrgdj
Porting an 1/8" around the flange on the OBX's looks to me like it would cut into the weld of the runners. I've ported the "inside" of the flange to match the pipe i.d. maybe a 1/16"

The OEM gasket has considerably larger port area than the OBX/Accord gasket...logic says one would want to err with a larger port on the header side in relation to the manifold rather than what we end up with the OBX being smaller than the J32A2 exhaust port.

I also increased the sizeof the gasket too to match the porting of the flange. i made sure not to cut into the welds and make it smooth with the pipes as to where it applies.
Old 11-17-2002, 05:41 PM
Advanced

Picture this...lay an OEM J32A2 gasket across the OBX flange, spray dykem, radius cut the flange to match...same for the inside edge, radius into the runners. Is this what we're talkin' about???
Old 11-17-2002, 06:19 PM
Got BOOST????

Originally posted by hinrgdj
Picture this...lay an OEM J32A2 gasket across the OBX flange, spray dykem, radius cut the flange to match...same for the inside edge, radius into the runners. Is this what we're talkin' about???

yea, i'm 99% postive that's what were talking about.