NY Alarm + Install Prices... is this fair?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2004, 12:36 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
NY Alarm + Install Prices... is this fair?

I dont own a CL but I figured there should be barely any price difference at all between the TL and a CL on alarms. I did post it up on the TL forums but I still like to get some more opinions.

Looking for 2 people, one w/ Clifford and one w/ Viper to tell me any subtle differences.

I was given a couple of packages from a good reputable Alarm Dealer in Long Island, NY and I was considering one of these packages. Can someone tell me if these are good prices?

Option 1: $475

Viper 791xv LCD Pager Alarm w/ Remote Start
-Installation Labor
-Backup Battery Siren
-Glass Breakage Sensor
-Pin Switches Hood (HID Theft)
-Pin Switches Trunk (System in Trunk)

Option 2: $550

Clifford Matrix 3.5 LCD Pager Alarm w/ Remote Start
-Installation Labor
-Backup Battery Siren
-Glass Breakage Sensor
-Pin Switches Hood (HID Theft)
-Pin Switches Trunk (System in Trunk)

And for an extra $75 he said, I can get the auto roll up on windows which I might do. I'm still deciding between the Clifford and Matrix, if any suggestions please advise.

If anyone else is interested in getting it done, I'll give you the details, but someone please tell me if the Cliffford is worth the extra loot!
Old 11-27-2004, 12:39 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
PM CLASSYCLS and ask him about his Clifford. I believe he had a CLifford G5 in his CL. No idea how much he paid though.

Report back when you get it done. I want to get a remote start soon so I can warm up the car in this chilly weather.
Old 11-27-2004, 12:42 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would also contact one of our official vendors " vsolokov " He has a audio based store that seemed to have some real decent prices..
Old 11-27-2004, 12:46 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a Compustar in mine and its what I wanted, though there isn't a whole lot of big difference between the clifford or the viper. Really, it could go either way depending on who you talk to. Ive talked to alot of people that sell and rep viper and they say "theres nothing like a viper". Then theres those who love the clifford too.... really, there both dependable so whatever.

For $75 extra for the window roll up modulators... thats a great price. From what ive found it normally cost twice that amount. Very cool feature.
Old 11-27-2004, 07:29 AM
Burning Brakes

The clifford and viper are pretty much the same piece so your better off saving your money and going wih the viper. Dei bought clifford a few years ago, all your buying is the name "Clifford"
Old 11-27-2004, 09:27 AM
Burning Brakes

I have the Clifford Matrix 3.5 2-way and I'm very satisfied with what I purchased. I think I purchased it for about 300 something plus 50 bucks for install. IMO the glass breakage sensor is a POS. It really doesn't even do anything and it's just a waste of money but that's just me. My friend has it on his CL and he could make it go off by putting his thumb at this one certain area and it thinks the car's window is being tampered when it's not. But what i do recommend is to get the interior sensor cause that's the good stuff. Say for example if you have something in the car and you left the window down if someone tries to reach in the car the car just goes off.
Old 11-27-2004, 09:43 AM
East Coast Boost.!

i have the 791, I like it, all these alarms do the same thing.I would have went with a cheaper alarm, but I needed the turbo timer option the viper offered.
Old 11-27-2004, 03:12 PM
Burning Brakes

the prices dont seem to bad if they include the alarm
Old 11-27-2004, 04:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

they are the exact same unit, all wire colors are exactly the same so i wouldnt go with either and go with the compustar , 3/4 mile true range , and from the installer view it is a deffinatly nicer user freindly piece
Old 11-27-2004, 04:55 PM
I NEED MONEY!

i have a clifford rsx w/ remote start...clifford and viper are pretty much the exact same..both from DEI only difference is the name...I suggest getting the cheaper one of the two...
Old 11-28-2004, 08:57 PM
Audio/Video/Alarm Expert

Just to let you know, I deal with Viper and other DEI associated brands. Clifford has gone out of business. So if you were to need parts warrantied it would be a b****.
And the new Viper791XV Blue remote with autostarter, honestly those things are crap. They have the tendancy to go defective for no reason, brain has no response to remote, no two way paging activity. I've warranteed many many many of them, had to just replace brains and remotes. And it only comes with one remote. Clifford is made by the same company as Viper, by Directed Electronics. If you check, they've gone out of business.

If you can, get a compustar. Its what I recommend. I personally use one myself.
Old 11-28-2004, 09:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
i actuallly have the viper alarm (one with the blue remote) and i paid 300 even (including install), i have the auto start, hood/trunk, remote trunk open... it all works fairly well and has a good range except when in largely concrete buildings
Old 11-28-2004, 09:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by nismo
Just to let you know, I deal with Viper and other DEI associated brands. Clifford has gone out of business. So if you were to need parts warrantied it would be a b****.
And the new Viper791XV Blue remote with autostarter, honestly those things are crap. They have the tendancy to go defective for no reason, brain has no response to remote, no two way paging activity. I've warranteed many many many of them, had to just replace brains and remotes. And it only comes with one remote. Clifford is made by the same company as Viper, by Directed Electronics. If you check, they've gone out of business.

If you can, get a compustar. Its what I recommend. I personally use one myself.
It's not a bitch to get them warranteed viper bought out clifford a few years ago and the rsx 3.5 is the same alarm as the 791xv So to get it warranteed it would be the same as warrantying any dei product. as far as defects i have installed at least 200 of the dei 2 way units and maybe 10 went defective, in my opinion compustar sucks but just my
Old 11-28-2004, 09:53 PM
East Coast Boost.!

alarms are alarms, the audiovox 996 does the same as all of these and audiovox has great warrenty service in my experiences. It's a cheaper unit and does the same bs.
Old 11-28-2004, 11:00 PM
on to the next one...

prices seem pretty good from what I know.
I was looking at picking up a Viper or CompuStar off eBay, but shops around here want $150-$185 just to install. Every place is telling me that there are a bunch of "extra parts" that is driving up the cost, which I think is BS, so I'm not getting one as of right now.

B
Old 11-29-2004, 12:33 AM
Girls luv me Guys hate me

:wtf: I dunno where you guys live, but when i call audio/alarm shops here in Tucson for quotes on alarms with all those features, they wanna charge me close to $1000 for the alarm and the install. At Best Buy and Circuit City, where a lot of you dont recommend alarm installation, that's about the right price for the alarms. I want to get the Viper w/ remote start with all the bells and whistles, but i dont want to get raped on either the cost or the way it was installed.
Old 11-29-2004, 01:05 AM
Audio/Video/Alarm Expert

Originally Posted by withoutcomp1
It's not a bitch to get them warranteed viper bought out clifford a few years ago and the rsx 3.5 is the same alarm as the 791xv So to get it warranteed it would be the same as warrantying any dei product. as far as defects i have installed at least 200 of the dei 2 way units and maybe 10 went defective, in my opinion compustar sucks but just my

Why do you say compustar sucks?!
Its the only two way pager out there that has multi purpose of standard or automatic tranny start, SAFELY without bypassing the clutch. I mean you must be an installer if you were to think that compustars suck, probably because they are bitchy to install. But I've only had 1 fail in the last 300 we've installed at our company, within the last year. And that defective one just didn't ignition lock.
As well, with a DEI product if you were to install it onto a diesel vehicle, you would have to buy an addition timer module to turn on glow plugs, this compustar has it all built in.

A good two way pager alarm/starter will run you about $700 installed (canadian $)
plus taxes.

The only parts our vehicles need for this autostart and even alarm is a bypass transponder that will simulate the key in the ignition so that the car will start, its the immobilizer anti theft we have, otherly known as the chip in the key or as some people call it (the computer). AS well, if you want your car alarm installed properly theres also a databus module that will integrate it with your factory alarm. If not, the alarm has to be programmed to unlock, start car, then lock again. Which is shitty, because it has to unlock to disarm the factory alarm or else it won't start. Now theres a cheat to it, if you know what you are doing, most alarms come with a factory disarm wire, they have to run that wire to the drivers door, and pull the drivers door apart, by the key cylinder on the inside theres a factory disarm wire there, but once it does through the door jam it because a data wire. Because of course if you shove your key in the door it has to be able to disarm the factory alarm.

For all you CLS standard tranny's out there, this compustar will prevent you from being able to start your car in gear. All the Vipers and DEI products out there are not ment for standard transmissions. Meaning if you left ur car in gear and u hit autostart, your car would slam into a wall.

Its funny though, Canadian Compustars and American Compustars are different. If you've noticed American ones are 900mhz frequency where the canadian ones are 433mhz. You would think the american ones are further, but I've done some research and some testing. Apparent by american faa standards, they range is shorter than the canadian compustars.
Old 11-29-2004, 09:45 AM
East Coast Boost.!

OUr factory alarm disarms once the car is unlocked. You don't need to do all that shit.
Old 11-29-2004, 01:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Titand19
OUr factory alarm disarms once the car is unlocked. You don't need to do all that shit.
Yes you do if you have a remote start.
Old 11-29-2004, 02:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

from an installers point of view i like compustar tons more than dei,
1 they give options on most wires like having a + and a -
2 everything is more compact and alot easier to hide
3 if something is wrong the alarm will tell u through the parking light flash

ive installed both and after starting on dei i hate doing one now because the need for additional relays is common and just hiding all the shit is a big pain
Old 11-29-2004, 04:49 PM
boosted is best

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by racersky
I have the Clifford Matrix 3.5 2-way and I'm very satisfied with what I purchased. I think I purchased it for about 300 something plus 50 bucks for install. IMO the glass breakage sensor is a POS. It really doesn't even do anything and it's just a waste of money but that's just me. My friend has it on his CL and he could make it go off by putting his thumb at this one certain area and it thinks the car's window is being tampered when it's not. But what i do recommend is to get the interior sensor cause that's the good stuff. Say for example if you have something in the car and you left the window down if someone tries to reach in the car the car just goes off.
I'm very pleased with the Clifford Matrix 3.5 2-way as well. But I bet to differ on the glass breakage sensor. If adjusted properly, the glass breakage sensor works quite well and won't give false alarms; meaning it should only be adjusted for sharp blows to the window or hood.

But I agree, the adjustable two-stage interior motion detector works great as long as you don't set the exterior sensing too sensitive. You just want to warn people who get too close to your ride, not wake up the neighborhood with false alarms. If you have nice rims, I'd also recommend the tilt sensor.
Old 11-30-2004, 12:42 AM
Audio/Video/Alarm Expert

Originally Posted by withoutcomp1
Yes you do if you have a remote start.
Originally Posted by 962.5tl
from an installers point of view i like compustar tons more than dei,
1 they give options on most wires like having a + and a -
2 everything is more compact and alot easier to hide
3 if something is wrong the alarm will tell u through the parking light flash

ive installed both and after starting on dei i hate doing one now because the need for additional relays is common and just hiding all the shit is a big pain

Wow I see two smart installers in here.
Old 11-30-2004, 12:47 AM
Missing My CL-S

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
i know some people don't like Compustar's, but i have one and think it's reliable. You won't find an alarm with nothing bad to say about it, cause nothing is 100%.
Old 11-30-2004, 07:38 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by nismo
Wow I see two smart installers in here.
I'm not that smart, i have only been installing for 13 years.
Old 11-30-2004, 08:57 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
call me wierd but for a second time I'm installing one of these alarms. All the same options, way less $$. Has all the same features mentioned above... (although you have to read the manual to know all of them)

http://www.kprokorea.com/p1-kr7000.htm

Last one I installed worked flawless... however it was an older model /w basically the same features. Available here http://www.easybuy2000.com/store/car...es/alarm.shtml
Old 12-01-2004, 12:39 AM
Audio/Video/Alarm Expert

I don't like those chinese designed ones. Honestly I think they're crap, saw them all over hong kong.
hahah I am chinese, they are a piece of sh**