not enough boost!

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2004, 06:19 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
not enough boost!

i have an 03 cl types s six speed with a c/t supercharger, and the problem i am having is that it is only giving me 5lb of boost. is there any way i can get more out of the supercharger because i am not happy with it, almost to the point of selling it. it only has about 30 miles on it so if i can not get more boost i am getting rid of it. can anyone help???
Old 06-03-2004, 06:21 PM
I shave my change purse

Received 155 Likes on 87 Posts
Whats up man! You get your car back on the road?
Old 06-03-2004, 06:25 PM
Instructor

i wish

whats up Will no not yet though i am hoping for this weekend it is killing me though it cost me 2400 dollors to get the tranny rebuilt but the reverse gear was on back order go figure my luck a brand new car and the parts are on backorder
Old 06-03-2004, 06:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

go here http://www.hopesystemsinc.com/
Old 06-03-2004, 07:06 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you want more boost, you need the E-Manage at the minimum to maintain engine reliability
Old 06-03-2004, 09:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by superchargedcls
i have an 03 cl types s six speed with a c/t supercharger, and the problem i am having is that it is only giving me 5lb of boost. is there any way i can get more out of the supercharger because i am not happy with it, almost to the point of selling it. it only has about 30 miles on it so if i can not get more boost i am getting rid of it. can anyone help???
I'm curious what you were were wanting. Boost does not equal power, it is airflow. What is currently done with your car, what power are you making and what do you want??
Old 06-04-2004, 03:18 PM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Are you already running the CT High Boost Pulley?
Old 06-04-2004, 03:25 PM
boosted is best

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I've got the CT S/C on my CLS 6MT and only have 3.5 PSI boost. That's plenty for me... car just plain rips ass... Are you sure the S/C was installed correctly?
Old 06-04-2004, 03:27 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 976 Likes on 330 Posts
3.5 psi is plenty for you? I've never heard of an SC running that low
Old 06-04-2004, 03:44 PM
boosted is best

Originally Posted by CLpower
That's how the S/Cs are shipped and what CompTech recommends. I don't have a HBP.

305 WHP/262 TQ... and after I install the CT flywheel/clutch and lighter wheels, I might be running with 325 WHP. And if I get it chipped, maybe another 15-20 WHP. No need for a HBP and besides 91 octane is all that's available in my locale.
Old 06-04-2004, 09:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by cls6sp03
That's how the S/Cs are shipped and what CompTech recommends. I don't have a HBP.

305 WHP/262 TQ... and after I install the CT flywheel/clutch and lighter wheels, I might be running with 325 WHP. And if I get it chipped, maybe another 15-20 WHP. No need for a HBP and besides 91 octane is all that's available in my locale.
Please, I made more power with less. I don't have the complete cat-back exhaust (I am running the stock exhaust) and still made nearly 20 WHP more. That delta would have been even greater had we been on the same type of dyno. The HBP is a great way to make more power.

And what chip are you dreaming about. We have all been down this road before and know where the limitations and possibilities are at.
Old 06-04-2004, 09:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by CLpower
Yep, that is the base kit. Which is why I changed within a month.
Old 06-04-2004, 09:34 PM
Drifting

<----------- dreaming of boost.
Old 06-04-2004, 10:16 PM
boosted is best

Originally Posted by scalbert
Please, I made more power with less. I don't have the complete cat-back exhaust (I am running the stock exhaust) and still made nearly 20 WHP more. That delta would have been even greater had we been on the same type of dyno. The HBP is a great way to make more power.

And what chip are you dreaming about. We have all been down this road before and know where the limitations and possibilities are at.
I don't have a HBP nor do I want one. There are enough issues related to going with a smaller pulley and higher boost that makes me want to place it safe. For instance, I'm in CA where 91 octane is the best I can get. In addition, a smaller pulley means you need to run the belt tighter which can cause excessive bearing wear on the blower and alternator and cause slippage issues (this is according to CompTech). And then there's the overall reliability of the motor to consider. I'm playing it save on the conservative side right now. Maybe when I get some time on my soon to be mounted stickier tires, I'll want more power and consider adding a little more boost. But for right now, I have enough of a problem laying power down in 1st and 2nd gear.

As far as a chip goes... say what you like... CT will be receiving an 04 TL shortly where they will be developing a S/C kit. They believe that the current ESM used for the CL isn't going to work for the 04 TL, so they will need to development an alternate device to alter the signals to the TL's ECU. There is a possibility that this device may also be retrofitted to their current proto S/C'd CL and other current S/C kits too; because of a better and more scalable design. If this is true, then maybe there may be some power to be gained on the CLS S/C kit with remapping of the ECU.

But I'm no expert and won't even try to pretend to know a fraction of what you and others on the board know about this stuff. I'm only speaking of stuff I've already heard out of CT. I've spoken with the MAN at CT that had developed the CL S/C kit on a number of occasions in person. You may be right... I'm just dreaming... but look how long it took UnChip to finally develop the chip and pnp harness for the CL 5AT only. Just maybe CT will get it right this time and follow through with a better design for the S/C electronics.

So if you see my avatar turn blue, then maybe I've held my breath too long.
Old 06-05-2004, 07:08 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by cls6sp03
I don't have a HBP nor do I want one. There are enough issues related to going with a smaller pulley and higher boost that makes me want to place it safe. For instance, I'm in CA where 91 octane is the best I can get. In addition, a smaller pulley means you need to run the belt tighter which can cause excessive bearing wear on the blower and alternator and cause slippage issues (this is according to CompTech).
Wow, after I re-read my post it sounded very brash. That was not the intention and please accept my apologies. I should have used more smilies to indicate my sarcasm. :o

Anyway, you could runt he HBP without any issues and without any excessive tightening of the belt. I did it for nearly a year at the recommended torque setting for the belt; 24lb/ft.

It'll be a matter of time before the desire creeps over you and you turn.
Old 06-05-2004, 10:28 AM
boosted is best

Originally Posted by scalbert
Wow, after I re-read my post it sounded very brash. That was not the intention and please accept my apologies. I should have used more smilies to indicate my sarcasm. :o

Anyway, you could runt he HBP without any issues and without any excessive tightening of the belt. I did it for nearly a year at the recommended torque setting for the belt; 24lb/ft.

It'll be a matter of time before the desire creeps over you and you turn.
Nah... no worries... apologies accepted... but they weren't really necessary...

I think my problem is I'm afraid of getting carried away with the mods (it's too late) But I have to draw the line somewhere. I'm currently leasing my car and will be buying it outright at the end of the least. In the mean time, I'm trying to stay with what's acceptable by Acura and CompTech cause my dealer has been doing all my modes and has guaranteed me that I won't have any warranty issues with all my modes. I also want this car to last a long time; not to mention, it's my daily driver. I've got an 88 Dodge Ram 50 pickup with 140k miles on it that wouldn't last very long if I used it as my daily driver. Maybe when I get a third vehicle next year... let the mods continue...
Old 06-05-2004, 10:18 PM
Instructor

thanxs for all the replies so far i am running a c/t supercharger,c/t flywheel, ACT 4puck clutch,2.5in pipes with no cats into remus mufflers. yes the car ripps ass but it still feels the same as it did without the supercharger.i paid 4500 dollors for 5lb boost, i could have paid the same for a turbo kit and it makes 15lb of boost.maybe i will try the pulley you mentioned.
Old 06-05-2004, 11:56 PM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
thanxs for all the replies so far i am running a c/t supercharger,c/t flywheel, ACT 4puck clutch,2.5in pipes with no cats into remus mufflers. yes the car ripps ass but it still feels the same as it did without the supercharger.i paid 4500 dollors for 5lb boost, i could have paid the same for a turbo kit and it makes 15lb of boost.maybe i will try the pulley you mentioned.

LOL 15lbs of boost on our cars with it's stock compression equals KABOOM in no time. Maybe if you got new rods and pistons and lowered the CR to 9.0:1. I wouldn't want to run more than 8lbs of boost through our motors and our transmissions for that matter. With an intercooler 9lbs might be safe, but you are smoking if you think you could sucessfully run a turbo at 15lbs of boost for only $4500 on our cars.
Old 06-06-2004, 12:14 AM
///M POWER

i thought the stock psi was like 5.5 and then 7.5 wih the hbp??
Old 06-06-2004, 12:15 AM
Registered Big Dog

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
ouch... mrsteve laid the word down. i know nothin but i want some boost.
Old 06-06-2004, 12:15 AM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
Nah they come at 3.5 stock then around 5.5 with the HBP.
Old 06-06-2004, 06:52 AM
Suzuka Master

There are methods to make more power with the SC and are available. What have you dyno'd at and where do you want to be??

The boost is low for a reason, the stock CR does not allow for high boost. There is not a readily available octane rating which could support the very high effective CRs. 6 PSI is about the max non-intercooled and 8 PSI intercooled.
Old 06-06-2004, 09:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

[QUOTE=superchargedcls]thanxs for all the replies so far i am running a c/t supercharger,c/t flywheel, ACT 4puck clutch,2.5in pipes with no cats into remus mufflers.[QUOTE]

I assume you have headers,....right??
Old 06-06-2004, 09:09 PM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
yes the car ripps ass but it still feels the same as it did without the supercharger
That’s not very encouraging.
Old 06-07-2004, 07:06 PM
Instructor

yes sorry i do have headers