NOS Nozzle question...

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 11:27 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NOS Nozzle question...

Hey guys, i've used nitrous on a different vehicle in the past and the nozzle was a certain length away from the TB. Now some folks use the ZEX kit which has the nozzle in the air filter. How would that have the same power increase if you have a CAI and the nitrous has to travel all that way into the engine? Doesnt it make more sense to have it by the TB for maximum power?
Old 11-14-2005, 12:15 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you don't HAVE to have the nozzle in the filter for the zex kits, it's just an option for the dry kits only. If you don't buy the optional filter then you just drill a hole in the intake tube as usual.
Old 11-14-2005, 12:29 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by ghost_masterCL
you don't HAVE to have the nozzle in the filter for the zex kits, it's just an option for the dry kits only. If you don't buy the optional filter then you just drill a hole in the intake tube as usual.
But dont you get whatever hp shot you put in there when you put the nozzle an inch away from the TB? I mean if you put the nozzle in the filter doesnt that defeat the purpose of having a lot of pressurized nitrous oxide entering the engine to create max power? I remember on my del sol i accidently aimed the nozzle the other way and I remember feeling power but not as much power. So i'm sure it makes a difference on performance by having the nozzle in the air filter...
Old 11-14-2005, 12:42 PM
Never had a clean run

For best results you have to drill a hole in your intake about 6-8 inches away from your TB.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:51 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 957 Likes on 328 Posts
Originally Posted by peakpowermotoring
Hey guys, i've used nitrous on a different vehicle in the past and the nozzle was a certain length away from the TB. Now some folks use the ZEX kit which has the nozzle in the air filter. How would that have the same power increase if you have a CAI and the nitrous has to travel all that way into the engine? Doesnt it make more sense to have it by the TB for maximum power?

Well, the reason you had it a certain distance away from the TB was so the gases would be able to expand in the intake and spread ot each cylinder evenly. Hence what the ZEX kit is doing, just further away
Old 11-14-2005, 03:52 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
But dont you get whatever hp shot you put in there when you put the nozzle an inch away from the TB? I mean if you put the nozzle in the filter doesnt that defeat the purpose of having a lot of pressurized nitrous oxide entering the engine to create max power? I remember on my del sol i accidently aimed the nozzle the other way and I remember feeling power but not as much power. So i'm sure it makes a difference on performance by having the nozzle in the air filter...

well, do you think by having it an inch away from the TB as opposed to a foot away is going to mean less nitrous is going to go into the engine?

and if so, where is that nitrous going
Old 11-14-2005, 04:27 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by CLpower
well, do you think by having it an inch away from the TB as opposed to a foot away is going to mean less nitrous is going to go into the engine?

and if so, where is that nitrous going

Well the way I see it is like this, say you are pumping 1000psi of air into a basketball for a certain period of time. Lets also say you are pumping 1000psi of air into a larger ball like a beach ball. The amount of pressure is the same but the expansion is different. The basketball would expand faster. I put it closer to the TB because all the pressure would be beneficial, sorta like forced induction but with a twist. Now if you have the same pressure but much farther away by the fog light (CAI), you would have the same pressure coming out but it wouldnt be forcing itself with as much force into the intake chamber. Just like pressure drop from a turbo or supercharger, you increase your intercooler piping you have pressure drop and you lose hp...
Old 11-14-2005, 04:29 PM
Racer

Also, the temps of nitrous is another reason why it increases power, if you inject nitrous farther away from the engine, the temps will increase which doesnt give you maximum hp.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:54 PM
I'm a Vagiterian.

Cool stuff. Glad I checked this thread.
Old 11-14-2005, 05:08 PM
Never had a clean run

Also, the temps of nitrous is another reason why it increases power, if you inject nitrous farther away from the engine, the temps will increase which doesnt give you maximum hp.
Old 11-14-2005, 06:09 PM
teh Senior Instigator

the chances of it losing much temperature in the split seconds it spends in the intake is pretty slim to none
Old 11-14-2005, 06:11 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Well the way I see it is like this, say you are pumping 1000psi of air into a basketball for a certain period of time. Lets also say you are pumping 1000psi of air into a larger ball like a beach ball. The amount of pressure is the same but the expansion is different. The basketball would expand faster. I put it closer to the TB because all the pressure would be beneficial, sorta like forced induction but with a twist. Now if you have the same pressure but much farther away by the fog light (CAI), you would have the same pressure coming out but it wouldnt be forcing itself with as much force into the intake chamber. Just like pressure drop from a turbo or supercharger, you increase your intercooler piping you have pressure drop and you lose hp...

if you put it too close to the TB however you will not get full coverage and hence most likely the nitrous won't be distributed evenly in the cylinders

Nitrous isn't about "forcing" persay. Nitrous will be in your intake, it's not going to lose pressure or find room to "escape".
Old 11-14-2005, 06:16 PM
Racer

if you put it too close to the TB however you will not get full coverage and hence most likely the nitrous won't be distributed evenly in the cylinders

Nitrous isn't about "forcing" persay. Nitrous will be in your intake, it's not going to lose pressure or find room to "escape"

Well i'm not saying the pressure will escape but it will decrease because of the volume of the passage way. A leaf blower is useful only if it is close to leaves not when it is 4 feet away, so maybe nitrous works with the same concept.
Old 11-14-2005, 06:18 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Your temperature hypothesis gets me thinking.You'd probably do more damage to the temps by having the nitrous travel from your trunk to the engine which would be a lot further then say, an extra 6" down to the filter.
Old 11-14-2005, 06:19 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Well i'm not saying the pressure will escape but it will decrease because of the volume of the passage way. A leaf blower is useful only if it is close to leaves not when it is 4 feet away, so maybe nitrous works with the same concept.

Well, not really. Let's say you have a leaf blower w/ a 4ft extension and a 20ft extension. Air is still going to come out at the same force no matter where it is because all the pressure is isolated in the tube. Which would be the same thing w/ the nitrous
Old 11-14-2005, 06:23 PM
Racer

Your temperature hypothesis gets me thinking.You'd probably do more damage to the temps by having the nitrous travel from your trunk to the engine which would be a lot further then say, an extra 6" down to the filter.
Not really because the nitrous is stored in the tank not in the lines, but the only thing i'm comparing is the temp difference from where the nitrous is being sprayed as to where the TB inlet is. If its further away pressure drop does occur plus the intake will warm up that cold nitrous oxide by the time it reaches the TB. If anyone is bored please test this theory out, lets see if we can come up with something....
Old 11-14-2005, 06:26 PM
Racer

Well, not really. Let's say you have a leaf blower w/ a 4ft extension and a 20ft extension. Air is still going to come out at the same force no matter where it is because all the pressure is isolated in the tube. Which would be the same thing w/ the nitrous
teh instigator huh? lol I'm sure it loses pressure because the amount of force needed is less. Just like the turbo example I gave, if you have a lot of intercooler piping and if the size is too big then you have pressure drop so the turbo has to work harder to create the same pressure as a turbo system with shorter intercooler piping. I'm sure theres a physics law for this, i'm gonna search...
Old 11-14-2005, 06:30 PM
teh Senior Instigator

teh instigator huh? lol I'm sure it loses pressure because the amount of force needed is less. Just like the turbo example I gave, if you have a lot of intercooler piping and if the size is too big then you have pressure drop so the turbo has to work harder to create the same pressure as a turbo system with shorter intercooler piping. I'm sure theres a physics law for this, i'm gonna search...

Not trying to start shit, just having a discussion. Being a nitrous lover like you, i'm just as curious.

This is my logic, whether the nitrous is being dumped in at 6" away from the TB or 2' away. The pressure is still isolated inside the intake and isn't escaping anywhere. What it is doing, is mixing w/ air, i'd be more comfortable having it further away then closer to make sure it gets proper coverage once it enters the Manifold
Old 11-14-2005, 06:31 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Not really because the nitrous is stored in the tank not in the lines
yes, but it has to travel from the tank, then through let's say 6ft of lines
Old 11-14-2005, 06:42 PM
Racer

Okay I found a nice answer to this dilemma we have going. Pressure is force divided by area. Pressure force acts perpendicular to enclosing surfaces. So if the enclosed surface is smaller (6inches away from TB) the pressure is higher than a enclosed surface being much larger (4 feet of intake plumbing).
Old 11-16-2005, 04:42 AM
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
Okay I found a nice answer to this dilemma we have going. Pressure is force divided by area. Pressure force acts perpendicular to enclosing surfaces. So if the enclosed surface is smaller (6inches away from TB) the pressure is higher than a enclosed surface being much larger (4 feet of intake plumbing).
NOS doesn't pressurize anything. It sprays out of an orifice at a VOLUME way less than the engine uses. To add any pressure at all you would have to completely seal the intake and pump in NOS and if you did that you suck a 10lb bottle dry in a couple of seconds. 6000rpm,3.2liters every 2 revs, 9600 l/m=160 liters/sec. I thought of making an airbox with baffles so when normal driving the engine would be able to suck air in and when using the NOS the baffles would close and pressurise the airbox with NOS. I figured out it wouldn't work.

The nozzle has to be far enough away form the MAF to get a good reading. Pointing the nozzle the wrong way forces the nos and air back out the filter into the atmosphere.

Putting the nozzles closer to the tb will give you a harder hit as will shorter lines from the solenoid to the nozzles. I used opposite to cheat. Long lines from nozzles to solenoid causes a gradual increase in power so nobody could tell I used it.
Old 11-16-2005, 10:05 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by RooEng
NOS doesn't pressurize anything. It sprays out of an orifice at a VOLUME way less than the engine uses. To add any pressure at all you would have to completely seal the intake and pump in NOS and if you did that you suck a 10lb bottle dry in a couple of seconds. 6000rpm,3.2liters every 2 revs, 9600 l/m=160 liters/sec. I thought of making an airbox with baffles so when normal driving the engine would be able to suck air in and when using the NOS the baffles would close and pressurise the airbox with NOS. I figured out it wouldn't work.

The nozzle has to be far enough away form the MAF to get a good reading. Pointing the nozzle the wrong way forces the nos and air back out the filter into the atmosphere.

Putting the nozzles closer to the tb will give you a harder hit as will shorter lines from the solenoid to the nozzles. I used opposite to cheat. Long lines from nozzles to solenoid causes a gradual increase in power so nobody could tell I used it.

Thanks for the info