No biggie but

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2005, 08:03 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No biggie but

I was on the highway last night about 9 pm at a red light this kid pulls beside me in a 99 Gt mustang I think. It had the rounded tail lights. He has stickers all over his window. Holly, flowmaster you know .(big surprise there) So he keeps revving his engine and staring at me and everytime I looked over he looked the other way. So I keep staring at him this time and when he looks over I point at the light. Light turns. He gets the jump.....until I step on the gas. It was over in 2nd gear,so I let off of the gas and he keeps going so right as soon as he gets next to me I nail it again and buh bye. I gave him a thumps up out the moon roof and motioned at the next light, instead he opts for the lane with traffic and doesnt get next to me again .oh well I had fun.Dont think he was to happy though.
Old 02-10-2005, 08:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Nice kill! You made him afraid of you now.
Old 02-10-2005, 08:27 PM
Flap.

if it was a gt, he sucks at driving he shoud have gotten a soild lead from a dig
Old 02-10-2005, 08:49 PM
Instructor

^ Wrong! It was a GT . A manual at that at least I believe since he was revving his engine I know I sure as hell dont put my car in nuetral and rev the engine. A 99 Gt has 260 horsepower Our cars have 260 horses obviouly both were modded . So how should he have gotten a solid lead? hobo? I guess maybe he just had stickers an no mods
Old 02-10-2005, 09:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
let me count the ways:

R W D
4.6l vs 3.2l or 300 ft lbs torque vs 232
GTs are at least 200 lbs lighter but one of the mustang guys correct me here

You should have gotten but good job anyway.
Old 02-10-2005, 09:15 PM
Got a Job!

you will not get owned by a 99 GT, especially if he's got I/H, where are you coming up with that? Shit, some people can hang with the '04 GT's stock with I/H, depending on the driver. Most the time, the new '04 GT's will beat us, even if modded with I/H, but it won't be by a ton. And if you go against the '99 model, you definitely have a better chance.
Old 02-10-2005, 09:18 PM
Instructor

A 4.6 on those cars only puts down 260 wow. I still dont know how I shoud,ve gotten owned. Those generations of stangs were dogs.I know plenty of mustang guys and they'll say the same thing. I mean it wasnt even close, until I let off of the gas. He was 2 cars back when I let off at the top of second gear.
Old 02-10-2005, 09:22 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dem1K
you will not get owned by a 99 GT, especially if he's got I/H, where are you coming up with that? Shit, some people can hang with the '04 GT's stock with I/H, depending on the driver. Most the time, the new '04 GT's will beat us, even if modded with I/H, but it won't be by a ton. And if you go against the '99 model, you definitely have a better chance.
Thanks for the back Dem1k. Exactley what I was thinking if it was a manual 04,owned is a good possibility. And no matter how hard you wish a sticker won't add horsepower. Except for the ACL one
Old 02-10-2005, 10:12 PM
Blown LS6!!

A well driven '99 GT manual is a slightly faster car than a I/H auto CL...every time. It comes down to the driver. They have the power:weight ratio, gobs more torque, and RWD. I've seen STI's run 15's at the track...and they're a low 13 second car. When someone is behind the wheel of a manual tranny car they can always shift poorly and lose.

Nice run though!!
Old 02-10-2005, 10:37 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Dem1K
i've seen stock GTs running high 13s are the track. I've also seen them run high 14s. PullT ran a 13.7 w/a stock GT. Guess what? It depends on the driver.

A cls w/intake & headers will get by a well driven GT from a dig.
if anyone tells you different they don't know what they're talking about.
Old 02-10-2005, 11:20 PM
Got a Job!

Mike...first off, if you read again, I never said that we'll beat em. I said there's a chance. And yes, EVERYTHING comes down to the driver. That's pretty damn obvious. However, HOW OFTEN will you see a stock GT running in the 13s? Hmm?? How many drivers out there that drive manual do you think are considered "very good" at driving stick? Not that high. The majority drive it decent/good. Secondly, racing isn't always from a dig. Most the time that I race, one of us doesn't punch it until like 20 if we're at a light. Or, it's on the highway, where the race is COMPLETELY different. So yes, I agree with you on one aspect, that the GT's will beat us probably 9/10 times from a stand still, and that driver's skill is highly important. But I will not agree that a stock GT will OWN a CL-S with I/H the majority of the time.

`John
Old 02-11-2005, 01:13 AM
TQ > MPG

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Ok, you guys are missing a very big portion of this story. 99+ = 260hp & low 14's stock. 96-98 GT = rounded taillights & 215hp. You probably ran a I/E 5 speed 98 GT, which would probably run high 14's at the track. You would have a much harder time pulling on the 260hp version of the 4.6L GT.
Old 02-11-2005, 01:17 AM
Got a Job!

hey jtkz, the 96-98 GT only had 215hp??
Old 02-11-2005, 01:43 AM
TQ > MPG

Well, mostly.

96-97 - 215hp/285tq
98 - 225hp/285tq

Hell, my 94 GT only had 215hp stock, but that didnt stop me from beating Darrinb, and he has I/E/H/P
Old 02-11-2005, 01:47 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jtkz13
Ok, you guys are missing a very big portion of this story. 99+ = 260hp & low 14's stock. 96-98 GT = rounded taillights & 215hp. You probably ran a I/E 5 speed 98 GT, which would probably run high 14's at the track. You would have a much harder time pulling on the 260hp version of the 4.6L GT.

Your right. I just was looking and the 98 Gt had the rounded tailights. Thats why I said that because I wasnt sure. And they are rated at 225 not 215. It's all in the details. It was also a 4.6 L.
Old 02-11-2005, 04:31 AM
TQ > MPG

Ummm...Look at my post, I said that 98 GT's made 225hp, and I know the 98's were 4.6L's, I said the 260hp VERSION of the 4.6L (which are the 99-04 SOHC GT's)
Old 02-11-2005, 12:22 PM
Racer

I'm enjoying this funny thread. First off there's no difference in hp for between a 99 and a 04 GT - both have 260 (05 got 300). Secondly, why would the GT in this story have to be a manual if he revved his motor while stopped @ a light.........it's possible he had his foot on the brake and gave a little gas (or even threw it in neutral ). To answer your question how a 260hp GT could take your CLS from a dig the huge torque difference and since you race so much this should be the first time you've heard that torque is what's important from a dig - granted if it was from a roll you'd have a much better chance. I'm just not buying that you had him by top of 2nd gear in this situation. Could it have happened - yes, anything can happen, but the majority of time if 1) the gt is driven well and 2) the driver knows it's a race, Mike is correct. Also the 87-93 gt's were rated at 225, 94-95 they dropped it to 215 (even though 94 was still a 5.0), then from 96-98 it was back up to 230 I believe and 99-04 it was 300. Even though they were only making 215, 225, 230 and 260 hp.......the thing that made them so popular for racing is they put out nice torque #s. Maybe this guy just had an exhaust......who know. I really don't think he was h/c/i because I think the results would be very different.
Old 02-11-2005, 04:04 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jtkz13
Ummm...Look at my post, I said that 98 GT's made 225hp, and I know the 98's were 4.6L's, I said the 260hp VERSION of the 4.6L (which are the 99-04 SOHC GT's)
yea Im a slow typer . Your post was'nt even there when I responded.

And five oh tl Why dont you try reading before you respond I never said I race alot. Also if he had his foot on the brake stepping on the gas his car would have at least been walking a little ,you know with all that torque he has and being rear wheel drive. And I said I THOUGHT it was a manual because of that. Only a moron would do that And I dont care what your buying into. He got a half car on me and then I jumped on him. Not to mention he trying to get ME to go not the other way around. Also the 99-04 GTs ARE 260 not 300 ,make up your mind. So I'm glad your enjoying your ignorance but dont put words in my mouth and try to make it mine.And also I didnt say anything about torque not being important from a dig.I never said I race all the time. I DRIVE a lot of different cars though. New, used ragged or not. Like I said those generations of stangs are dogs. Damn, try reading and get your facts straight first.
Old 02-11-2005, 05:55 PM
Liquid Ice

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
You guys are horsepower racing? ... Its not about the horsepower, its about the area under the curve not to mention power to weight ratio.

Just because the Type S has 260hp doesn't mean its going to beat a WRX with 225hp from a dig. Numbers aren't everything. I'd like to see you guys line up against an Elise ... But its ONLY 185hp and a stinky little 4 cyl!

But that said, anything can happen on the street ... No doubt depending on the driver you can keep up with a Mustang GT. I've taken them when my TL-S was stock ... but with equal drivers the CL-S / TL-S is gonna lose with no mods. With I/H on the Type S, you should be able to keep up pretty well. From a dig its all about the launch but from a roll you should keep up until about 100mph or so.
Old 02-11-2005, 05:59 PM
Got a Job!

Originally Posted by LiQiCE
You guys are horsepower racing? ... Its not about the horsepower, its about the area under the curve not to mention power to weight ratio.

Just because the Type S has 260hp doesn't mean its going to beat a WRX with 225hp from a dig. Numbers aren't everything. I'd like to see you guys line up against an Elise ... But its ONLY 185hp and a stinky little 4 cyl!

But that said, anything can happen on the street ... No doubt depending on the driver you can keep up with a Mustang GT. I've taken them when my TL-S was stock ... but with equal drivers the CL-S / TL-S is gonna lose with no mods. With I/H on the Type S, you should be able to keep up pretty well. From a dig its all about the launch but from a roll you should keep up until about 100mph or so.
I completely concur.
Old 02-12-2005, 08:54 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Frainky
yea Im a slow typer . Your post was'nt even there when I responded.

And five oh tl Why dont you try reading before you respond I never said I race alot. Also if he had his foot on the brake stepping on the gas his car would have at least been walking a little ,you know with all that torque he has and being rear wheel drive. And I said I THOUGHT it was a manual because of that. Only a moron would do that And I dont care what your buying into. He got a half car on me and then I jumped on him. Not to mention he trying to get ME to go not the other way around. Also the 99-04 GTs ARE 260 not 300 ,make up your mind. So I'm glad your enjoying your ignorance but dont put words in my mouth and try to make it mine.And also I didnt say anything about torque not being important from a dig.I never said I race all the time. I DRIVE a lot of different cars though. New, used ragged or not. Like I said those generations of stangs are dogs. Damn, try reading and get your facts straight first.
Calm down champ.....I read your post but it wasn't clear about your racing experice....you said "when I race"....not "one time I raced", so I thought you were saying you race.....my bad. (I should've known you're not too familiar w/ racing cause you would be more aware that your car would lose the "majority" of times racing a 99+ gt (w/ comparable drivers).......and if you don't realize that you're hitting that bong too often. If you sc or tc your cls that would be a different story (as is the case for mr steve, allmotor, and maybe 1 or 2 others).

OK, if he wasn't walking when he was giving it gas, then he had it in neutral, fine. Thanks for the editing, I know that 99-04 gt's have 260 and the new '05 has 300, that's why I said it in my opening sentence......sorry for the typo later in my post. Stangs are dogs??? What planet are you from? The only stang (besides the stock v6s) in recent history that was a "dog" was the 94-95 gt....I hope you're not referring to the 99+'s as dogs.......or you're obviously the ignorant one here. If you had an LS1 I might think you had a point. And if you're referring to the I've got a buddy w/ a 93 lx 5.0 notch w/ stock h/c/i w/ exhaust, gears, ported upper/lower intake and slicks that runs 12.7 @ 103....think he's a dog.....PLEASE. Didn't mean to trample on your manhood and get your feathers ruffled.
Old 02-13-2005, 12:28 AM
Instructor

i love the "stangs are dogs" quotes. True from the factory the mid 94-98 GTs weren't all that impressive especially with the auto trans, but honestly how many guys are running them stock anyway.

Any of those years, 5 spd with the obligatory flowmasters and k&n is a mid 14 sec car in even a decent drivers hands. That's enough to keep it close with most of our cars, esp from light to light. A mildly bolted GT and CL-s with headers and intake is probably the GT to 60 mph, close in the 1/8 but cl-s in the 1/4.

On the highway they do fall off kind of quick, and the higher HP cars like out cl-s should make short work of them.

The auto cars, esp the 5.0s when saddled with 2.73 (highway gears) can hardly get out of their own way coming off the line (for a sports car that is). They should be easy pickings.

But then again on the street anything can and does happen.

Joe
Old 06-05-2008, 06:22 AM
Instructor

I like how this thread started out as "no biggie"