Next Reasonable Bolt-On After I/H/E/P Staying N/A

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 11:07 AM
-AKA M.J.H.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Next Reasonable Bolt-On After I/H/E/P Staying N/A

Currently on my '01 CL-S I have an intake, Comptech headers, exhaust, and UR underdrive crank pulley. Pulls a bit harder than stock which makes me feel like my money was well spent. But when going for the next little bit of power without resorting to a 4-5K supercharger, what makes the most sense?

I have read about good 1/4 mile gains from the Innovative motor mounts, would this be good? Looking for suggestions here guys, trying to get into the 13.7-13.9 range. I know it's tough with the slushbox.
Old 12-24-2007, 11:53 AM
B A N N E D

get an apexi neo or afc and get it tuned now
Old 12-24-2007, 01:00 PM
Unregistered user

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
and some cooling mods....
Old 12-24-2007, 01:13 PM
Advanced

get a bigger throttle body those pnr plenums and p$p your intake and runners
Old 12-24-2007, 02:33 PM
'03 ABP YA4-S 6MT

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
probably some kind of engine management. the honda ecu re-compensates for all your current bolt on's.. and if you get it tuned properly, you can probably get 10+ whp
Old 12-24-2007, 03:05 PM
4drs just wanna have fun!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
cooling mods, not so much for NA motors, its great for forced induction but its only going to help when the car gets hot enough where the ECU pulls timing based on water temp, which isn't much of a problem. Im running just fine with out it and on the J30 it made teh car more sluggish overall.

Get it tuned you'll get some nice gains but first...

Get some of those plenums chambers, they add volume to your intake manifold and will help out a bunch especially after a tune.

You can also think about getting a lightweight flywheel. Most feel more comfortable ditching the UR crank pulley as soon as they do because few have had dampening problems taking out their pressure plates. So ideally you want ot have a decent aftermarket clutch kit.
6spdnaviracer on v 6 p is running a Comptech flywheel and UR crank pulley with a Spec clutch kit on his J30A4 although I never really liked Specs cheap products but it seems to be working for the guy, ive seen him trap at 109 with a 85 shot of NOS.
Adding my thoughts about the flywheel, it makes the clutch feel better and the car litterlaly accelrates much quicker, its amazing what this mod can do in practice while theoretically on a dyno gains will be small.

So to recap:
-plenum chamber by P2R
-flywheel
-port/polish (upper and lower intake manifold)
-bored TB (King Motorsports)
-possibly a higher flowing cat
-tune car with Apexi NEO or something along the those lines
Old 12-24-2007, 03:17 PM
-AKA M.J.H.

Originally Posted by Accord_V6_400m
cooling mods, not so much for NA motors, its great for forced induction but its only going to help when the car gets hot enough where the ECU pulls timing based on water temp, which isn't much of a problem. Im running just fine with out it and on the J30 it made teh car more sluggish overall.

Get it tuned you'll get some nice gains but first...

Get some of those plenums chambers, they add volume to your intake manifold and will help out a bunch especially after a tune.

You can also think about getting a lightweight flywheel. Most feel more comfortable ditching the UR crank pulley as soon as they do because few have had dampening problems taking out their pressure plates. So ideally you want ot have a decent aftermarket clutch kit.
6spdnaviracer on v 6 p is running a Comptech flywheel and UR crank pulley with a Spec clutch kit on his J30A4 although I never really liked Specs cheap products but it seems to be working for the guy, ive seen him trap at 109 with a 85 shot of NOS.
Adding my thoughts about the flywheel, it makes the clutch feel better and the car litterlaly accelrates much quicker, its amazing what this mod can do in practice while theoretically on a dyno gains will be small.

So to recap:
-plenum chamber by P2R
-flywheel
-port/polish (upper and lower intake manifold)
-bored TB (King Motorsports)
-possibly a higher flowing cat
-tune car with Apexi NEO or something along the those lines
Everyone keeps saying get it tuned and this and that, how do I go about doing that? And what kind of price is it to get tuned, etc. I would definitely be interested if it's a 10 WHP gain. :thumbup:
Old 12-24-2007, 03:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Lightweight wheels.....
Old 12-24-2007, 04:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by ChucksCL-S
Lightweight wheels.....
im with you... but if you wanna get away cheap ...thermo blok and mugen t stat/fan switch
Old 12-24-2007, 07:11 PM
-AKA M.J.H.

I'm thinking about picking up an Apexi Neo and getting it tuned, but I can't find any info on how to do it or how much it costs, etc. And are the Innovative motor mounts a worthwhile mod? I've read about .2 seconds in the 1/4 mile but I don't know if that's an exaggeration or not?

I'm just looking for the most bang for the buck.

And would the OEM clutch work with the UR lightweight flywheel?
Old 12-24-2007, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by J32.4.Life
I'm thinking about picking up an Apexi Neo and getting it tuned, but I can't find any info on how to do it or how much it costs, etc. And are the Innovative motor mounts a worthwhile mod? I've read about .2 seconds in the 1/4 mile but I don't know if that's an exaggeration or not?

I'm just looking for the most bang for the buck.

And would the OEM clutch work with the UR lightweight flywheel?
Well Im thinking of switching over to something more powerful somI might be selling my NEO soon if I were to, it would probably be for $200.

All you need to do is hardwire it into wire harness, or get a plug and play harness and pay something along the lines of 100-150 to get it tuned somewhere professionally.

Lightweight wheels help but dont forget about weight reduction in general.

I think you should call UR first and get them to explain the flywheel first get their assurance that it will work in general since a member here had bad experience with them and their flywheel. The disc probably would work but you'll probably want a sprung clutch since the stock one is solid hub disc. You want some sort of dampening in the clutch when removing the flywheel dampening by getting the single mass unit from a company like UR or OCmptech lets say.
Old 12-24-2007, 07:50 PM
Advance

Hes a automatic Nick
Old 12-24-2007, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by gc86
Hes a automatic Nick
haha thats true, damn he kept egging me on with the flywheel question

Oh wel hope you have a tranny cooler for reliabilty and some sticky tires to get you those sub 14sec times.
Old 12-24-2007, 09:27 PM
-AKA M.J.H.

I'm thinking that the Apexi Neo and the tuning will probably be the next bolt-on. I feel like Innovative motor mounts are somewhat pointless to get considering the fact that traction honestly isn't that much of an issue.
Old 12-24-2007, 10:02 PM
Advance

No AFC tuning should be last, get all the P2R products first.... trust me paying for tuning twice is a waste of money.
Old 12-24-2007, 10:10 PM
'03 ABP YA4-S 6MT

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
traction isn't an issue? are you brake standing?
Old 12-24-2007, 10:30 PM
-AKA M.J.H.

Originally Posted by gc86
No AFC tuning should be last, get all the P2R products first.... trust me paying for tuning twice is a waste of money.
But from what I have read the P2R Plenums had minimal gains and for a $600 mod, I would expect something at least close to the gains I got from the Comptech headers.
Old 12-24-2007, 10:41 PM
Uses turn signals in my

But from what I have read the P2R Plenums had minimal gains and for a $600 mod, I would expect something at least close to the gains I got from the Comptech headers.
I gained 8hp and 13lb/ft with them. Cheaper than a CT exhaust and provides more gains.
Old 12-25-2007, 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by TCM 01 CL-S
I gained 8hp and 13lb/ft with them. Cheaper than a CT exhaust and provides more gains.
Just post up your dyno,

Your peak numbers are only half the story. You had great average gains.
Old 12-25-2007, 02:13 AM
Unregistered user

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i agree $600 is a lot for those p2r plenums... its not like you HAVE to have all the mods. cooling mods won't do much or anything at all for n/a, but its good to have them just to keep the engine cooler... for longevity at least... but you have any suspension mods? sway bars are great btw
Old 12-25-2007, 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by LIPPSTUH
i agree $600 is a lot for those p2r plenums... its not like you HAVE to have all the mods. cooling mods won't do much or anything at all for n/a, but its good to have them just to keep the engine cooler... for longevity at least... but you have any suspension mods? sway bars are great btw
Somehow I doubt your motor will last longer with those cooling mods NA since it will remain cooler and out of its operating temp more often. Just seems unecessarry unless your tracking your car and/or using forced induction that generates extra heat tht requires the compensation of those cooling mods.
Old 12-25-2007, 03:50 AM
THE J35A2...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Currently on my '01 CL-S I have an intake, Comptech headers, exhaust, and UR underdrive crank pulley. Pulls a bit harder than stock which makes me feel like my money was well spent. But when going for the next little bit of power without resorting to a 4-5K supercharger, what makes the most sense?

I have read about good 1/4 mile gains from the Innovative motor mounts, would this be good? Looking for suggestions here guys, trying to get into the 13.7-13.9 range. I know it's tough with the slushbox.
get you're car towed by a turbo diesel truck on the dragstrip, for sure that's mid to high 13's ... that's like 40 bucks

j/k Merry Christmas and happy holiday to all
Old 12-25-2007, 09:05 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SIRSIG
get you're car towed by a turbo diesel truck on the dragstrip, for sure that's mid to high 13's ... that's like 40 bucks

j/k Merry Christmas and happy holiday to all
hehehe.

What then, 13sec with a 3500 pound weight behind yeah right......................

Those trucks run 12 - 13 sec but with a 3500 add on weight
Old 12-25-2007, 11:24 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
i've seen vids of them running 11s

re:motor mounts they will definitely help w/throttle response and your short times but .2 seconds?
hopefully i'll get mine tomorrow but for sure by later this week so i'll let you guys know what my impressions are.
Old 12-25-2007, 11:50 AM
says "hello to my TLX".

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike
i've seen vids of them running 11s

re:motor mounts they will definitely help w/throttle response and your short times but .2 seconds?
hopefully i'll get mine tomorrow but for sure by later this week so i'll let you guys know what my impressions are.
Please do. Where are you buying them or getting them installed? PM please.

edit: I'm in the same boat as the OP. I have a few mods and want to stay NA and still get a little more go. How about a high flow cat such as the Random Technology one?
Old 12-25-2007, 06:39 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts
used SC, either way, its WELL worth it.
Thats the only way you will really feel anything significant.
Old 12-25-2007, 07:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
not necessarily. allmotor ran 13.5 @ 102.x @ the track and would probably have run high 13s in street trim.
Old 12-25-2007, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by Sun Diego CL-S
Please do. Where are you buying them or getting them installed? PM please.

edit: I'm in the same boat as the OP. I have a few mods and want to stay NA and still get a little more go. How about a high flow cat such as the Random Technology one?
The RT cat helped me but I feel that the inlet and outlet on the cat can be increased to match the piping on the j-pipe and b-pipe, unlike the stock cat and the RT cat where it stays 2", however it did help me when I had it on my car.

Flywheel mod will definitely help Thing takes off ~20lbs of the crank, if you loved what the crank pulley did with ~7lbs removed imagine what the flywheel can do

exhaust cut-out? My car felt faster up top without a doubt with no catback attached (also had the RT cat on at the time).

Greddy Emanage Ultimate, tune using this but get the iginition tables to work and remove teh rev limiter and tune the car to rev up to ~7500rpm instead, possibly NA power gains, definite FI power gains with this.

Other then the other formentioned stuff just get things that will put the power to the ground better:
-innovative engine mounts (one of the first people to have them great product, contact Excelerate about it)
-Lightweight wheels with sticky tires, possibly drag radials. This can get you ~2.0 60' time and this will help trmendously with lowering your ET time.
-IM spacers keeps things cooler and deters the IAT sensor from getting to hot and having the ECU pull timing killing some of your power.
-ceramic coat the headers, cool mod, assists in keeping the heat in the headers and thus in the exhaust gases so they maintain their velocity as a result of not cooling down as much. helps exhaust scavenging and as a result can improve intake breathing.
-TLS cams? Not a perfect fit but supposedly you can use some shims and cam gears and make them fit, this is only a possibilty haven't seen anyone do this, and still need to review to info on it.

And... the cheapest mod for power... NOS 75-85 shot would do it.

Although I thinka nice flywheel/clutch kit setup would put you on the right track, thats what I want to do too.

Originally Posted by Mike
not necessarily. allmotor ran 13.5 @ 102.x @ the track and would probably have run high 13s in street trim.
yeah, I too managed to get a 102.X trap but my ET was only a 14.3 with my crappy launch and tires. 2.4-2.6 60' time owns me haha.
Old 12-26-2007, 09:19 AM
-AKA M.J.H.

Some great posts guys. From what I can see I'm thinking my next 2 mods for the Acura are going to be Eibach sway bars because it still handles like a boat even with Tein coilovers, and in addition to that I'm also going to throw on the Innovative motor mounts I think. I just want to make sure it's NOTICEABLE throttle response gains and better traction, etc.

After that there really isn't all that much else I'm interested in doing, aside from MAYBE a SC down the road but that's honestly not something I think I would ever sink my money into.
Old 12-26-2007, 09:58 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
If live live in hot weather IE South FL, cooling mods are a must have. The mounts are not in yet. No one knows for sure what kind of ride, feel, & exactly how they will help traction. With that said I have a set of 3 on order.

New mounts are a must anyway for this car since the stock ones are really crap & they break.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:58 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
P2R Throttle Body Spacer with thermal gaskets, P2R Plenums with Apexi NEO, Random Technology High Flow Cat, and a 75 shot of nitrous.
Old 12-26-2007, 04:33 PM
Only CL in town!

sounds like josh is trying to make some money.....lol

but for real those are all great mods, ive orderd the p2r power pak and rt cat, they should be in soon . the plenums will come soon. i probably will not mess with the nitrous though
Old 12-26-2007, 04:55 PM
says "hello to my TLX".

Originally Posted by Accord_V6_400m
The RT cat helped me but I feel that the inlet and outlet on the cat can be increased to match the piping on the j-pipe and b-pipe, unlike the stock cat and the RT cat where it stays 2", however it did help me when I had it on my car.

Flywheel mod will definitely help Thing takes off ~20lbs of the crank, if you loved what the crank pulley did with ~7lbs removed imagine what the flywheel can do

exhaust cut-out? My car felt faster up top without a doubt with no catback attached (also had the RT cat on at the time).

Greddy Emanage Ultimate, tune using this but get the iginition tables to work and remove teh rev limiter and tune the car to rev up to ~7500rpm instead, possibly NA power gains, definite FI power gains with this.

Other then the other formentioned stuff just get things that will put the power to the ground better:
-innovative engine mounts (one of the first people to have them great product, contact Excelerate about it)
-Lightweight wheels with sticky tires, possibly drag radials. This can get you ~2.0 60' time and this will help trmendously with lowering your ET time.
-IM spacers keeps things cooler and deters the IAT sensor from getting to hot and having the ECU pull timing killing some of your power.
-ceramic coat the headers, cool mod, assists in keeping the heat in the headers and thus in the exhaust gases so they maintain their velocity as a result of not cooling down as much. helps exhaust scavenging and as a result can improve intake breathing.
-TLS cams? Not a perfect fit but supposedly you can use some shims and cam gears and make them fit, this is only a possibilty haven't seen anyone do this, and still need to review to info on it.

And... the cheapest mod for power... NOS 75-85 shot would do it.

Although I thinka nice flywheel/clutch kit setup would put you on the right track, thats what I want to do too.

yeah, I too managed to get a 102.X trap but my ET was only a 14.3 with my crappy launch and tires. 2.4-2.6 60' time owns me haha.
Wow. Thanks for the write-up. I think I'll stay away from nitrous. I guess I can go with that RT cat, cooling mods, possibly the P2R IM mod and I'll eventually get a lightweight wheel setup. When you talk about a lightweight flywheel, are you talking about the flywheel for a 6-speed's clutch or for an A/T too? If the latter, please tell me where I can read more about this and possibly buy one. Thanks.
-Luis
Old 12-26-2007, 05:16 PM
Instructor

I am pretty certain he means a lightweight flywheel for only a 6-speed.
Old 12-26-2007, 05:19 PM
says "hello to my TLX".

^Yeah, I thought so too. Maybe he didn't see the year of my car in the sig.
Old 12-26-2007, 07:46 PM

Haha, didn't notice that your were an auto at first
In that case 6spd swap, and then the flywheel!
Old 01-15-2008, 01:04 AM
Intermediate

This was a while ago, but I think custom test pipe wih 02 simulator might be worth a shot. Cheap mechanical o2 sim is only 15 bucks online and it worked great on all my cars. i haven't tried on cls yet, but I'll post soon.
custom test pipe can't be more than like 120 bucks or so i think.

just a thought.

-soul
Old 01-15-2008, 07:50 AM
Senior Moderator

That has been brought up before & all it does is increase noise.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:37 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by fuzzy02CLS
That has been brought up before & all it does is increase noise.
Some members are saying that RT cat helped out on their cars. Are you saying that test pipe won't? How so?

I'm pretty sure that test pipes flows better than rt cat.
I'm just curious. Since I gained a lot of HP on my other cars going catless. I understand that our cat already flows well, but if the RT cat helped out, won't the test pipe to better?

And by the way how much of a noise increase are we talking about? Is it significant?

-soul
Old 01-16-2008, 08:25 AM
Senior Moderator

It's a bad raspy noise. The CLS doesn't respond well to exahust mods because the stock system is setup to flow already. The RT cat does flow more, but you loose some TQ. The test pipe just makes the car sound horrible.

Quick Reply: Next Reasonable Bolt-On After I/H/E/P Staying N/A