New SUV

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2003, 02:10 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New SUV

In a previous thread I mentioned our search for a new car, well SUV and how we really thought that the Lexus GX470 suited us well. So today we were at the dealership looking at the GX for the last time and just by chance there was one of the new RX330's sitting next to it. We began our search for SUV's looking at the RX but quickly decided we liked the GX better. However after looking at the RX a little more closely we are very torn between the two SUV's.
We really like the 8 passenger capability of the GX, and infact that is what we were looking for, something that could seat at least 7 people that my mom would drive. We wanted a Rear seat entertainment system, good sound system, and navigation. We found a GX in the color we wanted wiht all of this. We also liked the air suspension on the GX and the voice activated navi. Oddly enough my mom loves the side opening door on hte GX as well, most people prefer a more common, hatch.
The problem is, we really like the RX as well. The power hatch is great, mom loves it. Also the rear backup camera is a feature we both really like. The problem with the RX is you cannot get it with, Navi, rear seat DVD and the air suspension. You can get DVD and Navi together, but no air suspension with either. We really like the air suspension but could live without it, but those options are not where we are having our biggest problems.
The RX has a 3.3 Liter V6 producing 230 Hp and 242 lbs torque, where the GX has the 4.7 liter V8 that produces 235 HP but 320 lbs of torque. We are having difficulty with the fact that the V8 only produces 5 more horsepower than the V6. I know it produces significantly more torque but it also wieghs about 1000 lbs more than the RX.
We would just like some advice on which way to go. We know the RX is only a 5 passenger but we decided we could live with that if the RX is the car we choose to buy.
We are not concerned wiht looks, yeah the RX's tail lights are a little funky and the GX looks a little like a box, but that doesn't matter. We want function. These are the only SUVS we will consider, we did not like the Mercedes, BMW(too small, that is all we didn's like), Infinity, Nissan, or any of the GM ones. We wont buy another Acura just because of the number of repairs we had with my CL and the Rovers are out of the question, trust me, owned one, loved it for the first month then stuff started to break and fail.
Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys!
Old 06-27-2003, 06:16 AM
Pro

Highlander-RX light--for about 10 grand less after discounts. GREAT SUV. Basically the same vehicle as the RX w/o the wood IMO. Even looks like an SUV rather than a mini-van. Fully loaded, it's about 35,000--Discounted can buy for 31-32. Rides more firmly than the RX; quiet; smooth and powerful enough with the Lexus 6 cylinder from last year. We love it.
Old 06-27-2003, 07:05 AM
Drifting

MDX is definately the best bang for the buck. I doubt that MDX owners have had even a fraction of the issue that CLS/TLS owners have had.

GX470 or XC90 are also worth considering but less value IMO.

Also, if you don't need the off-road capability (which most people don't) the new Sienna in AWD is hot! Minivan? Says who?
Old 06-27-2003, 07:42 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
have you also checked out the sequoia and 4runner? I looked into a sequoia (v8 limited), but my environmental conscience won't let me do it.

i cringe every time i fill up my cl-s, and i'm averaging at least 300 miles per tank (per week).
Old 06-27-2003, 11:27 AM
Pro

Thanks for all of the input, we are going down to Lexus today to do a back to back test drive of the RX and the GX. the one that we like better, we will get. We looked at the Volvo, it was nice but no rear seat entertainment system, and we dont want to deal with aftermarket stuff. We looked at Toyota's but my mom thinks the Sequoia is too big, the 4Runner is too ugly and will not even consider a Sienna, she hates minivans, no matter how hot, with a passion. We were talking about the GX and the RX last night and decided that really the rear back up cam would be nice, but we would still look before backing, and the power liftgate would be awesome, but how much harder is it to open it manually. But then with the GX, do we really need adjustable suspension and ride height control? So really it is going to boil down to 2 things, which one we can get a better deal on, the GX we want runs 53 and the RX runs 47 so which ever one we can negotiate a lower price on we will probably get. I will post pics of whate ever we get possibly tonight, or next week.
Old 06-27-2003, 01:24 PM
I love my G sedan

Which one is more comfortable? RX is a unibody construction when GX is a body on frame like a truck. I don't know, both looks pretty good to me. There must be bunch of options on the RX you considered since the starting price of it is only $34k right? The more high tech stuff on your car, the higher chance of getting them fixed later on, I would say air suspension is just some kind of fancy stuff, not a critical feature, and you guys could definitely live without it. Considering these two SUVs, I would say go for the GX470, mainly due to its much higher torque, which is much more important than a high horsepower in an SUV.
Old 06-27-2003, 01:33 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,953 Likes on 2,637 Posts
Wait wait wait sequoia too big? isnt the GX470 built on the sequoia platform, im almost 100% sure it is???

the LX470 the landcruiser and the rx the highlander???

Anyway, you cant go wrong with either one of the Lexus.

People keep saying get the toyota its cheaper... Yeah it is but you dont get all the options and goodys and MOST IMPORTANTLY you dont get the lexus service. Its worth the extra cause whats youre paying for, the best service ever.
Old 06-27-2003, 03:52 PM

When I went shopping for SUVs for my mother, a loaded Highlander was 35k. I was like no way in hell. The Lexus service alone is worth the extra dough, you get treated like royalty when you DO go, you rarely go see the dealership.

Is any OFF ROAD capability a concern? The GX is a TRUE SUV and can go on and off road with no problems while the RX is a Car based SUV so it really is not for the off-road.

The new options in the RX are great.

GX is built off the 4-runner platform. HAving driven 45 SUVs recently and the RX 330 and GX 470 very extensively, if money is no option, I'd get the GX. It will also be much rarer and it is bigger on the inside. Plus that V-8.
MDX is definately the best bang for the buck
Bang for the Buck means too many constraints and limitations. You get what you pay for.
Old 06-27-2003, 03:58 PM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm not a big fan of the new RX. The rear just doesn't look right IMO. If she really wants all that room then the GX is a no brainer. However she's the one who's gonna be driving it, so test drives should help in the decision.
Old 06-27-2003, 07:55 PM
Pro

[People keep saying get the toyota its cheaper... Yeah it is but you dont get all the options and goodys and MOST IMPORTANTLY you dont get the lexus service. Its worth the extra cause whats youre paying for, the best service ever. [/B][/QUOTE]
What service? Oil Change! The Highlander in as close to bullett proof as any vehicle on the road. I think $10,000 in my pocket(RX price differential after rebate and discounts)) is too substantial to overlook for same almost the same vehicle for a loaner. The Highlander is made in Japan in the same factory as the Lexus.
Old 06-27-2003, 08:52 PM
Pro

Well its been settled, hopefully tomorrow we will be the proud new owners of a 2003 Lexus GX470, either Ash Blue Mica or Blue Meridian Pearl. It has everything, rear seat entertainment system, DVD navigation, 3rd row seat with rear A/C controls bla bla bla.. We are still in the haggling stage, we got them down from 53,100 to like 51, 800 and now are hallgling over our trade in. They offered us 5500 for our 1997 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi. It is a great car, nothing mechanically wrong with it, only one dent, fully loaded, and its supercharged. Ideally we want 7000 for it, however we told the dealer that we would come down tonight if they could give us 9000 for it. We used that figure because we knew they would never go for it. There is one small scratch in the drivers side mirror that needs to bo repaired, and it will be according to the salesman. We also are going to have 3M stoneguard put on the vehicle, to keep it looking new. Since we are waiting to go back to the dealer we are also calling other local Lexus dealerships to see if we can get one to go lower than 51, 800 for the same car. We'll see what happens, the bargianing stage is new to us, as we normally use the Costco Auto Buying program, where there is no haggling.
Old 06-27-2003, 11:34 PM
Fell off my Rocking-Chair

Originally posted by louisn
Highlander-RX light--for about 10 grand less after discounts. GREAT SUV. Basically the same vehicle as the RX w/o the wood IMO. Even looks like an SUV rather than a mini-van. Fully loaded, it's about 35,000--Discounted can buy for 31-32. Rides more firmly than the RX; quiet; smooth and powerful enough with the Lexus 6 cylinder from last year. We love it.
By the same logic, why did u buy a CL when an accord is nearly the same thing? Why would ppl buy a LS430 if an avalon is available? Why a TL when an Accord is there. Why an escalade is a tahoe is the same? This list can go on forever...

The point being... the highlander is a great "suv" (i personally think it looks more like a minivan) but its no Lexus. There are quite a few differences between a Highlander and a RX... looks alone would do it for me. Its all about personal taste.

But we all know that americans are suckers for brand names and as long as a vehicle is slightly altered and slapped with a luxury tag, it WILL sell for $10-15k more.

I personally hate SUVs. They're just a stupid fad for grownups so they can feel more special.

And if u, louisn, drive a CL... then u are being a hypocrite of ur own logical thinking.
Old 06-28-2003, 12:02 AM
Suzuka Master

Who is bargaining? You and your mom? and Dad?

Explain the Costco Auto Buying Program.

Anyway, I remember your post from last time, I still have a thing for the X5's or Rovers, but I think you made the right choice about the GX over the RX. Something about the GX, it's rareness, quality, interior, it's nothing but great. I remember Edmunds rating it as one of, it not the top SUV, it's just a great truck. Definately opt for the Levinson Stereo Upgrade, if you can with the rear seat entertainment. Does that come standard and what all does it include. Also check out Lexus' Night View, seems like a pretty neato option to consider.
Old 06-28-2003, 01:57 AM
Pro

KC: My mom and I are doign the bargaining, as my father is in South Africa. WE wanted to buy the car when he was away because he is very Pro-American. If he were home we would not even step onto a Lexus lot. I am there basically to make sure my mom does not get taken advantage of, and to explain the different features of each car to her.

Basically the Costco autobuying program is a no haggle bying program. You contact Costco, tell them what you want adn tehy contact their rep. at a local dealer. The rep will contact you and explain the costco program and coerce you into coming down to the dealership. We did this with the Lexus and found out that the GX is in such high demand that it is not part of the program, neither were Mini's, dont know if tehy are yet, or the Volvo XC90. So you just tell the rep the car you want, what options, color choices and then he comes back with a price normally like 750-1000 below MSRP, or something like that. Oh and you cannot haggle on that price, that is it. I probably left some stuff out, so here is the programs web site, www.costcoauto.com, it will explain it all plus the extra perks you get from using it.

Lexus's night view is not available on the GX, and the one we are getting is full spec, so that includes the ML audio system, it kicks ass. To bad Acura cant put that stuff in their cars.
Old 06-28-2003, 08:01 AM
Pro

Originally posted by shaHn78
By the same logic, why did u buy a CL when an accord is nearly the same thing? Why would ppl buy a LS430 if an avalon is available? Why a TL when an Accord is there. Why an escalade is a tahoe is the same? This list can go on forever...

The point being... the highlander is a great "suv" (i personally think it looks more like a minivan) but its no Lexus. There are quite a few differences between a Highlander and a RX... looks alone would do it for me. Its all about personal taste.

But we all know that americans are suckers for brand names and as long as a vehicle is slightly altered and slapped with a luxury tag, it WILL sell for $10-15k more.

I personally hate SUVs. They're just a stupid fad for grownups so they can feel more special.

And if u, louisn, drive a CL... then u are being a hypocrite of ur own logical thinking.
I had an a 98 Accord EX 6 cylinder coupe. There is utterly no comparison between the 2001 CL Type S and the 2001 Accord in any aspect. The CL is bigger, faster, more powerful, more luxurious, smoother, looks better, has more technology etc. The Highlander is the RX with 10 more horsepower and wood. The 2004 may be better but IMHO the 2003 RX was not as good as the Highlander. It had the same engine and was built on the old Camry platform while the Highlander is based on the new Camry. To me the 2001CL is worth 10,000 more than the 2001 Accord while the RX may be 2000 more than the Highlander in feature content.
Old 06-28-2003, 09:51 AM
fap fap fap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
GX w/22's
Old 06-28-2003, 12:46 PM
Safety Car

the gx doesn't seem all that well designed to me. newer suvs have the 3rd row built into the floor so you're not stuck unloading/loading rear seats everytime you want to carry something. may not seem like a big deal until you have to start doing it, turns into a pain in the ass. also with the gx rear seats, there is no room for the peoples legs, the seats lay almost flat on the floor and that is not going to be comfortable for anyone other than kids for long drives. swing out rear door is another bad design, may seem fine on the dealers lot, but wait till you're parked on the side of busy street with a car parked behind you and you can't swing the door all the way open. it looks like a giant highlander to me also but looks are out.

i would go with the rx330 since i think its desinged better feature wise and looks better inside and out.
Old 06-29-2003, 12:51 AM
Pro

Well we did it, today we went down and bought the GX 470. WE love everything about the car, yes even the rear seats and teh side openng door. We decided that we would take out one half of the rear seat and leave hte other in, this way we had saeting for 6, as well as cargo room for our trips to Costco and the mall. As "Heyitsme" noted, the side opening door might be a pain, and we took this into consideration. My mom actually really likes the side opening door, as she is not very tall and an overhead opening door would be rather inconvienent. Also the door is very well wieghted so it feels light when you open it and it also has numerous lock positions, so you can open it part way and it will stay. We got everything on it except the Lexus Link system, which is being phased out within the next few years anyway. We also opted for the 3M paint protection, which will be applied on Tuesday. Also on Tuesday, a small scratch on the drivers side mirro will also be repaired. Overall, we were very satisfied with the buying experience at Lexus of Tacoma, they had very helpful and caring staff who were always available to answer our questions. We were especially pleased when one salesman who we were working with came in on his day off to show us the vehicle, and he knew we were not going to be buying that day. The Rear Seat Entertainment System is awesome and so is the 14 speaker ML audio system. In the short trip that I got to drive the Lexus, I found that the bass in it is on par with mine in my car, except without the constant rattling. This is a great car and we reccomend that if you are in the market for a new SUV to seriously look at it. The final judgment will come when dad gets back from Africa, we are not telling him that we bought it...
Old 06-29-2003, 02:15 AM
Fell off my Rocking-Chair

Originally posted by louisn
There is utterly no comparison between the 2001 CL Type S and the 2001 Accord in any aspect....
Well with a statement like that, i dont know whether to call it bold or just plain stupid :P - But to each his own.

MJ -
I'm sure the new GX is a great suv.. its a Lexus after all.

And congrats to ur mom cos we can never have enough ladies around in big suvs... :o
Old 06-29-2003, 07:07 AM
Pro

[QUOTE]Originally posted by shaHn78
[B]Well with a statement like that, i dont know whether to call it bold or just plain stupid :P - But to each his own.

I was much more specific concerning the engine, comfort, size, power, convenience, features, technology, luxury of the Accord EX-6 cylinder and CL Type S. I reiterate there is absolutely no comparison and I've owned them both. I would be interested in your comparison between the 2001 accord and the best value on the market in 2001 THE CL TYPE S. Your prior comment is not informative merely an opinion w/o any specifics.
Old 06-30-2003, 07:16 AM

I had an a 98 Accord EX 6 cylinder coupe. There is utterly no comparison between the 2001 CL Type S and the 2001 Accord in any aspect. The CL is bigger, faster, more powerful, more luxurious, smoother, looks better, has more technology etc. The Highlander is the RX with 10 more horsepower and wood. The 2004 may be better but IMHO the 2003 RX was not as good as the Highlander. It had the same engine and was built on the old Camry platform while the Highlander is based on the new Camry. To me the 2001CL is worth 10,000 more than the 2001 Accord while the RX may be 2000 more than the Highlander in feature content.
SO let me get this right, the RX-300, the SUV that started the car based SUV, the most reliable and best selling luxury SUV is a Highlander with a Lexus badge but the CL IS NOT anyhow similar to the Accord.

They are both near luxo cars based on other platforms, what are you talking about?
The Highlander is made in Japan in the same factory as the Lexus.
The Accord is made in Ohio in the same factory as the CL.