New Paint for '03 CL-S Hood

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2002, 08:46 AM
Do it! U Only Live Once!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Paint for '03 CL-S Hood

It seemed that Acura did a shitty job painting my '03 hood at the factory. Some areas of the hood weren't painted as even as others. It resulted in "dark spots" showing through the paint. The Acura dealer wasn't quick to accept blame. So they had to bring in the Acura Zone Manager, who used a digital paint meter to determine the above. It seemed the average amount of paint thickness on a new car measured between 4.5 and 6.5 as was found on the lot. My car was 5.5, but much lower on those spots. I brought it into the autobody of my choice with Acura paying the bill. Supposedly, It will take 3 days. Now that's aggrevating. Anyone else have a similar problem?
Old 10-10-2002, 08:59 AM

this may be the case with JROCK's too.

J, if u read this, do what this dude did.

I don't think mine is that bad though. I have a minimal amount of chips on my hood compared to other CL owners.

ITs a good thing acura is gonna bite the bullet on this one.
Old 10-10-2002, 09:20 AM
Drifting

There was a similar post several weeks ago. Same thing with the regional person using a meter to read paint thickness. The good news is that Acura has such a device and is willing to correct poor paint job. Now if they would only do that for paint chips on the hood (because they went to a water based paint a year or two before it was required).
Old 10-10-2002, 09:52 AM
Do it! U Only Live Once!

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention...it took over 2 months to get these wheels in motion for this paint re-do!
Old 10-10-2002, 10:01 AM
Where is my super sauce?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: New Paint for '03 CL-S Hood

Originally posted by Pappy
It seemed that Acura did a shitty job painting my '03 hood at the factory. Some areas of the hood weren't painted as even as others. It resulted in "dark spots" showing through the paint. The Acura dealer wasn't quick to accept blame. So they had to bring in the Acura Zone Manager, who used a digital paint meter to determine the above. It seemed the average amount of paint thickness on a new car measured between 4.5 and 6.5 as was found on the lot. My car was 5.5, but much lower on those spots. I brought it into the autobody of my choice with Acura paying the bill. Supposedly, It will take 3 days. Now that's aggrevating. Anyone else have a similar problem?
Correct me if I'm wrong: didn't you post some time ago asking if the changes in shading were related to the Tough Guard treatment?

How did Acura reconcile the issues with the Tough Guard (as I recall, you said that it was dealer installed/applied)? Are they going to re-Tough Guard your hood as well?
Old 10-10-2002, 10:05 AM
Do it! U Only Live Once!

Re: Re: New Paint for '03 CL-S Hood

Originally posted by Slimey
Correct me if I'm wrong: didn't you post some time ago asking if the changes in shading were related to the Tough Guard treatment?

How did Acura reconcile the issues with the Tough Guard (as I recall, you said that it was dealer installed/applied)? Are they going to re-Tough Guard your hood as well?
Yeah, that was me. The dealer will re-apply the ToughGuard on the hood 30 days after the paint job is completed. The paint needs to thoughly dry first. ToughGuard had nothing to do with the spots.
Old 10-10-2002, 10:46 AM
Three Wheelin'

I've got some dark spots on my hood too (anthracite) but there seems to be a lot of them...not so much spots but lines. Don't know if it's the paint or just the lighting. Is it pretty apparent?
Old 10-10-2002, 11:33 AM
Old timer

Originally posted by TypeSKid
this may be the case with JROCK's too.

J, if u read this, do what this dude did.

I don't think mine is that bad though. I have a minimal amount of chips on my hood compared to other CL owners.

ITs a good thing acura is gonna bite the bullet on this one.
My hood has always looked fine with no blotches or dark spots. I just have a lot of rock chips from highway driving and our cheap paint quality is to blame for most of them. I wish I could say mine wasn't painted right from the dealer, but it was. The paint is just chip-friendly.
Old 10-10-2002, 11:53 AM
Do it! U Only Live Once!

Originally posted by gsrblack
I've got some dark spots on my hood too (anthracite) but there seems to be a lot of them...not so much spots but lines. Don't know if it's the paint or just the lighting. Is it pretty apparent?
Well, don't forget my paint color is Taffeta White. The spots aren't that apparent if your not really looking for them. Actually, in the sunlight, you can't see them at all. But, I wash the car myself each week, so I know every spot or chip. I probably could have let it go, but why not have it...perfect...especially if that was the way it should have been in the beginning. Besides, who knows what would happen to those spots later on in time. If you think this is the case with your car, bring it to the dealer and let him inspect it.
Old 10-10-2002, 02:17 PM
Do it! U Only Live Once!

Just for the hell of it, when I pick it up, I'll ask how much I would have paid for the paint job if Acura wasn't covering it.
Old 10-10-2002, 02:39 PM
Where is my super sauce?

Originally posted by Pappy
Just for the hell of it, when I pick it up, I'll ask how much I would have paid for the paint job if Acura wasn't covering it.
You should ask them how this can be made into a TSB. Although the dark spots seems somewhat uncommon, the poor quality of the paint is a frequent topic here. It would be nice to have a TSB that says something like, "If customer has problem with paint blemishes or frequent chipping do a scan. If paint is scanned under x.x mm then repaint to proper specifications".

I'm glad to hear you got this fixed.
Old 10-10-2002, 02:51 PM
Do it! U Only Live Once!

I'll post more info tomorrow when I talk to the body man. If you guys do this, make sure you get some touch-up paint from the same batch.
Old 10-10-2002, 03:02 PM
Busy Living

did they check the rest of the car?
Old 10-10-2002, 03:04 PM
Do it! U Only Live Once!

He sort of did (1/2 assed). But I know every square inch of that car and it was only on the hood.
Old 10-11-2002, 05:26 PM
Do it! U Only Live Once!

I picked the car up late this afternoon. He is charging the dealership $ 252.07. The bodyshop removed the hood totally to paint so there wouldn't be the possiblity of overspray on the car. They did a fantastic job!
Old 10-11-2002, 06:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

ONly $252.07? That's not too bad...did they clear coat the finish as well?

I will probably point it out to them...I've got some other paint anomalies that I don't like. At this point, I'm not sure if they should repaint the hood and trunk and the side or I should leave it alone. I'm just afraid they will do more harm than good...anyways, my 8 coats of Zaino might go to waste

I will ask anyways and see what their take is.
Old 10-11-2002, 06:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

Seems like they could have done a much better job w/ painting this car too. From the factory and from Acura, I expected a lot more in terms of paint quality, but having little dirt or something under the paint is just unacceptable. I'll see what they can do though.
Old 10-11-2002, 06:31 PM
Do it! U Only Live Once!

Originally posted by gsrblack
ONly $252.07? That's not too bad...did they clear coat the finish as well?

I will probably point it out to them...I've got some other paint anomalies that I don't like. At this point, I'm not sure if they should repaint the hood and trunk and the side or I should leave it alone. I'm just afraid they will do more harm than good...anyways, my 8 coats of Zaino might go to waste

I will ask anyways and see what their take is.
He clear coated as well.