New navi software next month...a BIG question. Software engineers?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2003, 01:24 PM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New navi software next month...a BIG question. Software engineers?

Hey all: This is probably more of a question for you software engineers than us navi owners, but here goes.

This September we are supposed to get an update, but exactly, how does this work, or how you think it works?

I know we will get a new disc (that we have to buy, no problem there) and pop it into the DVD in the trunk. We should see new roads, updated restaurants and ATM locations, etc. These will be coded on the DVD, and will be unalterable information that is "burned" into the disc.

But my question is more subtle. My VP has a G35S, and I saw his navi demoed to me. The colors and voices and features are very close, if not dead on to what we have (two suprising things about the G35 system, no touch screen input(!) and no Onstar offered (!) But he does have a feature we do not have. On his menu, he can pick a feature called "birds eye view".

We always look "straight down" at our maps. Assume a trip from Chicago to Milwaukee, about 90 miles. Birds eye puts chicago at the bottom of the screen, and Milwaukee near the top. And your view starts at about 1 mile up, so you can see the whole route.

Ok, now the question, are our MENU systems alterable with the new disc, or does the menu reside in the hardware, and is unalterable until the car is replaced? It would be really nice to have new FEATURES to our navis instead of just more accurate maps? What do you guys think?

The reason I ask this question, is that the dvd/navi system in the trunk, although by no means huge, it is certainly bigger than what need to be to house one lonely DVD. Is that extra space used for hardware for the navi system? Hardware for Onstar? A combination of both? I know, this is a tough one.

If I had to make this question real simple (espescially for the non navi owners,) anytime I upgrade, say, Microsoft streets and trips 2000 to a newer version, not only is the DATA disc improved (the street and trip data), but so does the appearance on the screen and usually with new features, so, what say you?
Old 08-06-2003, 01:30 PM
Banned

. Its scary how technology has taken over our lives. Now when Im at work and I have to go to a street I never heard of Im like where is my fawking Navi when I need it.

the software pretty much is responsible for how the navi works the hardware controls how fast it process the info and accuracy.
Old 08-06-2003, 02:08 PM
Sweet as Gold

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
uhh...we have the zoom feature instead of birds eye view!@!
Old 08-06-2003, 02:30 PM
Drifting

Ant: Yes, but we only see small portions of the route if any reasonable amount of resolution is desired, where as birds eye shows minor towns near the bottom of the screen, and the towns become more generalized as you approach Milwaukee.

I would think that what one wants when using a navi system is lots of detail in the near range (like gas stations, etc), and more generalized info "down the road".

G35 navi owners, feel free to comment.

To reinterate, could the new dvd, provide us with new FEATURES. More to the point, are the MENU and the SETUP screens fixed in stone, or might we be able to see a new "look" there? I know. this one is tough!
Old 08-06-2003, 02:34 PM
Banned

dfreder can you be more specific. what is birds eye view??
Old 08-06-2003, 03:21 PM
Drifting

Lou: I wil answer, but I might have confused some, first let me clear that up.

The Microsoft streets and trips mentioned above. I mean that ONLY to mean when upgrading software on a home PC. Not the car! There that said.

Lou, you are traveling North, Chi town to Milwaukee, I assume you read my first example closely.

The car icon (position) is mounted low on the screen, in Chicago, and CHICAGO is in large print. After all, it is close and in detail. Halfway up the map, the town of Waukegan Il (il, Wi border) is shown, in no detail and half sized print. Milwaukee will be a dot near the top of the screen, but the entire route is shown as a blue line. You see the trip start to finish.

The advantages here are that icons of interest (restaurants, gas stations, ATM, Acura dealers) are shown in detail in the very near foreground, as is your immediate route. As mileage twoard the destination is accumulated (the trip gets shorter), the map automatically "zooms" up, and the details get greatest at the destiniation. In my opinion, that is what matters most, unfamiliar destinations. I mean, I am not anal enough to use the navi to find work or Mom and Dad.

This Chicago Milwaukee scenairio starts with you looking over the route from about 1 mile up (I am guessing, remember, I own the Acura, and the G35 was a ten minute demo). I suppose if the trip was, say, Chicago to Cincy, about 350 miles, it might start at 8(?) miles up.

The best analogy I can think of is when you are flying, and start the landing approach. Everything on the horizion is tiny, or invisible. But if you look straight down, shapes are very recoginzible from way up. As the plane descends to land, things get clearer bigger and closer, you are descending! Birds eye works that way too.

You gotta see it in person. Find someone with a G Navi. This is why I asked my question. Is this just gonna be a better map, or a better map AND BETTER CAPABILITIES! (Not shouting, just emphasing.) Dave
Old 08-06-2003, 03:29 PM
Drifting

Lou: I should havs said on the Chi/Mil trip, you start about a mile up AND about 5-10 miles, from your point of view BEHIND your car.

This is what avoids the "straight down" view we have.

But all navi data generated (distance from destination, time to destination, etc) displayed on the screen discern car/destination data. Not your "behind the times" point of view. In fact, they converge when you get to where you are going. Interesting.
Old 08-06-2003, 03:29 PM
Instructor

kinda like virtual depth perception...cool...how accurate? I mean does it seem to scale?
Old 08-06-2003, 03:45 PM
Drifting

Meth: Yes, it does I think. But the G35 was 10 minutes, and the birds eye was only about two minutes of that. So I am not 100% clear of the capabilities, but it was a way cool feature. I would take it in a minute, which make me think, I have found the clarification of my question. I am sure I have confused many. Here goes:

On a home PC, there are a few things that cannot be easily changed. Examples: your BIOS (basic input output system or your Intel Chip. This is because certain, inalterable information is "burned in", and you will not change it, except at great expense.

The road data, icons, etc, is expected to be 100% refreshed, and I expect areas of detailed coverage to be expanded also, as the populations increased.

But will the MENU and SETUP screens be expanded? Or, are they "burned in" somewhere on some hardware, we probably shouldn't try to change. If the case is the latter, we are stuck with these M/S choices until we sell.

I do NOT see that as a problem. Just asking a question. Better maps (only), or, updated system?
Old 08-06-2003, 03:58 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
Here's my STAB at it...

I don't have much of any experience with the Acura NAVI, nor any NAVIs in general...

The menus are more than likely dictated by the DVD disk. It wouldn't make sense for them to be burned into the ROMs.

More than likely there is a Boot ROM (in the DVD player) that has instructions on what to look for on the DVD. In other words, if the data isn't branded or coded in Acura-speak the disk won't work. That's why we can't take for example the Accord DVD and use it in the CLS. Or like running a Macintosh App on a Windoze PEECEE. The information needs to be presented in a manner that the CLS Navi system can understand.

Once the Boot ROM detects the DVD, it loads the sequence which brings you to the intro. All menus, etc. are more than likely coming from the DVD seeing has how the menus are dynamic, etc.

Now.. Getting things like the birdseye view wouldn't be possible without getting the hardware that would be able to understand that type of data and be able to render/display it.

So expanding the menus should be "possible"... But remember, adding more shit adds space and I doubt people want multiple disks. So while Acura could probably give a lot more menu functionality, that "menu" functionality has to be a) compatible with the decoding hardware b) not be so intensive that it slows down the process 4) Yadda yadda yadda
Old 08-06-2003, 04:11 PM
Drifting

Hi Scrib: Your logic follows, but with the Acuar navi/dvd system, there is a trunk mounted disc reciever. It is mounted just below the Margaret Dole third stoplight.

There is a wide door that opens, but only one disc access button and slot on the left.

Are you possibly suggesting that there is an unaccessable boot disc on the right? There would be room for it, but I cannot imagine any decent manufactuerer doing that. It assumes 100% reliability.

I really like my navi, and if nothing changes except for new maps, hey, OK! I just wonder if there is more "bang for the buck" left in the system.

So far, your reply makes the most sense.
Old 08-06-2003, 04:20 PM
Administrator Alumnus

No no... Not a boot disk but a Boot ROM. Almost like a PEECEE BIOS...

When you hit the power on your NAVI an eletric signal is received and a piece of read-only-memory (ROM) is called. This ROM contains the instructions to get the Navi up and running. Think of it like a RAM stick for your computer, only you can't write to it; hence ROM, not RAM.

Once the ROM executes its sequence it more than likely lets the DVD processor know to look for data on the DVD disk. Then all the menus, etc. come from the DVD disk.

It's just like turning on your computer. When you hit the power button, the BIOS sends a quick set of instructions to the processor, one of which is to look over to your C:\ drive for the boot code for windows. The Bios is just a fancy ROM, nothing more...
Old 08-06-2003, 04:24 PM
Drifting

Aha. But, does this "fix" MENU and SETUP in the car, or can it be updated? I only know how to use computers, not understand them. 50, you know.
Old 08-06-2003, 04:29 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Shit I don't know...

Actually, I can say with relative confidence is that ALL menus on the NAVI are software driven; i.e. driven by the NAVI disk. So they should be able to be changed by Acura, stuff added, stuff removed, etc...

Will it happen??? I doubt it.
Old 08-06-2003, 04:40 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

I am a Computer Engineer and here is My take:
1) Everything NAVI Program and Data maps are upgradeable on the Acura NAVI. There is software version and DB version. Each time a new disc is inserted, the NAVI BIOS will check for the latest update.

However, The hardware resources, i,e NAVI processor and its memory are NOT upgradeable. Also forget about Voice Acitvated...

Since the NAVI processor is already slow DRAM memory is not upgradeable, note the NAVI designed back in 1999, I don't see the next version has anything more than new maps and POI, and Maybe, a male voice and few customization feature...

I do not think the bird view will be added either, the new Accord NAV does not have this feature either...

Nashua
Old 08-06-2003, 07:11 PM
Banned

this is on the new software 2.0 version for the Alpine aftermarket navi that was not there in the older version so if it helps to answer your question.

View 8 POI Icons On Your Map Display
>>Back
Now it’s even easier to find the places you need all the time like: banks, ATMs, gas stations, grocery stores, hotels, parking lots and restaurants. PowerNAV offers up to eight different POI (Point of Interest) icons to be displayed on your map at any time. Simply move the cursor over the icon, and select it as a new waypoint or destination. To make it even easier, you see brand logos on screen. So for popular restaurants and gas stations you will immediately notice your favorites at a glance
Old 08-06-2003, 07:16 PM
Team Owner

All I want is ROAD & POI UPDATES. I could give two shits about new features or views.
Just update the GAWD-DAMN roads.

ROADS ROADS ROADS !!!!!

Shawn S
Old 08-06-2003, 07:19 PM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
This is the "Birds Eye View" navi just like in the current Z/G35c and other models:

Basically you can see the horizon because the view drops down and your view is semi-horizontally instead of from directly above like a real life map. Just like in our cars:

Old 08-06-2003, 07:22 PM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wow that Alping software is hot lou. The Acura Nav only has 3 POI icons. Gas Stations, Atms and Restaurants. Maybe we'll get some new icons with the updates.

New roads too of course, for Shawn.
Old 08-06-2003, 07:29 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Chaptorial
Wow that Alping software is hot lou. The Acura Nav only has 3 POI icons. Gas Stations, Atms and Restaurants. Maybe we'll get some new icons with the updates.

New roads too of course, for Shawn.
more roads I went upstate last weekend to Phoenicia, Ny in the town of Shandaken and I tested the Navi. in those rural streets and it was right on the money....I couldnt believe it myself. I am really impressed on how accurate it was even down to the exact footage before the next turn.

The navi on the acura's are all great tho...but I do think it do for an update.
Old 08-07-2003, 07:29 AM
Happy CL-S Pilot

To me the bird view is just worthless...
Old 08-07-2003, 07:54 AM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Shawn S
All I want is ROAD & POI UPDATES. I could give two shits about new features or views.
Just update the GAWD-DAMN roads.

ROADS ROADS ROADS !!!!!

Shawn S
Old 08-07-2003, 12:48 PM
Drifting

Doh! Sometimes I am so stupid! All one has to do is take the old disc out of the trunk dvd player. Put it in your dvd player in your home computer (mine is so old, it does not have a dvd player). Punch up "my computer", click on the DVD drive, and examine the files and structure.

If there is no "menu.exe", and "setup.exe", we will probably be stuck (which really ain't all that bad) with what we got.
Old 08-07-2003, 01:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by dfreder370
Doh! Sometimes I am so stupid! All one has to do is take the old disc out of the trunk dvd player. Put it in your dvd player in your home computer (mine is so old, it does not have a dvd player). Punch up "my computer", click on the DVD drive, and examine the files and structure.

If there is no "menu.exe", and "setup.exe", we will probably be stuck (which really ain't all that bad) with what we got.
No....it's very likely that the software on the DVD-ROM will not be PC-compatible executable files. Looking for menu.exe or setup.exe won't tell you anything either way.

Boot ROM is what gets the darn thing started up. Boot ROM ultimately hands execution off to the main software that runs the system. Boot ROM is usually very basic and generally doesn't need to change ever. Some Boot ROM is implemented in a rewriteable FLASH so it can be updated, but this is rare, as a mistake in this process can render your hardware useless.

The database is on the DVD. The software to access and display the database is also on the DVD. There are 2 possibilities: the DVD contains software that gets installed into the NAVI unit whenever a new DVD version is put in. Future boots load the software straight out of some non-volatile but rewriteable (i.e. Flash) memory in the NAVI unit itself. The other possibility is that the software is run straight off the DVD every time or loaded into RAM each time the NAVI is started.

Either way, the UI is software driven (and therefore changeable) but also it is restricted by the capabilities of the unit itself.

A bird's eye view seems to be a pseudo-perspective view on your trip. True perspective display would require complicated and time-consuming 3D calculations, which may be way too slow on older hardware. However, such calculations can be approximated, optimized or even faked out completely to speed things up for older hardware.

I think the most important thing for the next upgrade is the maps and POIs.

Any UI enhancement in terms of colors, views, etc. are icing on the cake.
Old 08-07-2003, 01:13 PM
Coming to a city near you

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
hahaha you guys actually think the update will be out soon.
Old 08-07-2003, 03:32 PM
Drifting

Stock03. I'm impressed! Still, the question remains up in the air.
Old 08-07-2003, 05:36 PM
Race Director

Don't know much about the upgrades but I do know that if you put a newer DVD in your Navi, after reading the new disc, before running the software, your Navi hardware will run thru a firmware upgrade which appears to be permanent and persistent. Which means even though you take the new disc out and put the old one back in, you'll still have the newest firmware (but not the newest POIs of course). What the newest firmware does, I don't know, I can't tell (any difference). Bottom line is f the firmware, I want want the newest POIs like Shawn said.
Old 08-07-2003, 08:15 PM
Darth Tator

when did the last update disk come out?
Old 08-08-2003, 05:08 AM
Suzuka Master

Stock03. I'm impressed! Still, the question remains up in the air.
I guess what I was getting at is that the menus themselves are likely "soft", meaning they can be altered and rearranged by installing new firmware on a new DVD release.

Without any real technical knowledge of the NAVI system itself, it will be difficult to speculate or answer many of these questions. But my best guess is that they can change menus and they can add/alter features with software/firmware alone, as long as said features do not require different hardware.

Some examples of what is most likely changeable from release to release:

Menus/buttons
Route-finding algorithms
Voice prompts/phrases (NOT voice recognition)
Map display (colors...possibly even an available bird's eye view)
Road and POI database
Startup screen and disclaimer message
Look of clock and starfield background

Some examples of what will most likely not change or be included from release to release:
Voice recognition
Speed of update/calculation/recalculation
Real-time positional accuracy in "downtown" urban areas (tall buildings, tunnels, etc.)
Touch-screen control of the stereo

I don't think you'll get a definitive answer, unless some rogue developer currently working on the DVD decides to spill the beans prior to release.

I think the only thing we can count on, truly, is an updated road/POI database. Anything else is a nice added extra....so long as they don't make it more difficult to use the system.
Old 08-08-2003, 05:28 AM
The Creator

Originally posted by lou
more roads I went upstate last weekend to Phoenicia, Ny

damn kid you shoulda holla'd at me... I work like 5 miles from Phoenicia... and Albany is only like 45 miles from there.
Old 08-08-2003, 02:05 PM
Drifting

Stock 03: Very enlightening! Next time my computer craps out, can you come over and fix it? (jk)
Old 08-08-2003, 04:24 PM
Race Director

New Navi DVD software coming this Fall
Has anyone called the Navi desk lately?

(888) 549-3798

I think there is new information there. Sorry if this is a re-posted.
Old 08-08-2003, 05:39 PM
Darth Tator

i just called and the disk is going to be $185!?

anybody here gonna be selling back up dvd-r copies?
Old 08-08-2003, 05:43 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

$185 oof!... It is was supposed to be $150 for all versions!
Old 08-08-2003, 07:11 PM
The Creator

fuckin con artists
Old 08-12-2003, 11:26 AM
Darth Tator

it better have dramatically improved if they want us to shell out 185
Old 08-12-2003, 11:31 AM
Team Owner

Originally posted by riceboy
anybody here gonna be selling back up dvd-r copies?
Nope, not me
Old 08-12-2003, 11:55 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Meth: Yes, it does I think. But the G35 was 10 minutes, and the birds eye was only about two minutes of that. So I am not 100% clear of the capabilities, but it was a way cool feature. I would take it in a minute, which make me think, I have found the clarification of my question. I am sure I have confused many. Here goes:

On a home PC, there are a few things that cannot be easily changed. Examples: your BIOS (basic input output system or your Intel Chip. This is because certain, inalterable information is "burned in", and you will not change it, except at great expense.

The road data, icons, etc, is expected to be 100% refreshed, and I expect areas of detailed coverage to be expanded also, as the populations increased.

But will the MENU and SETUP screens be expanded? Or, are they "burned in" somewhere on some hardware, we probably shouldn't try to change. If the case is the latter, we are stuck with these M/S choices until we sell.

I do NOT see that as a problem. Just asking a question. Better maps (only), or, updated system?
Actually your BIOS can be changed very easily using a flash update. Your bios is straight machine (assembly for your processor) code that runs at start to give you the basic access to disk/video/ I/O in general. Your bios even initializes calls to the devices via interrupt vectors. When you launch an O/S like linux it blows out the BIOS interrupt vectors and assigns them to its own drivers for the devices. Your BIOS is nothing more then an application to control your devices at boot.

I.E. it's faster to write to the video card via DMA, than it is using a BIOS interrupt. (lol, night and day)

I believe that anything is possible within the capabilities of the processor in the navigation unit. The base of the software from what I have seen is loaded at boot from the flash memory. Firmware as some would like to call it. However it can be flash upgraded.

Also if someone just took the time to debug the NAVI software they could easily add a "jmp" into the main boot code to make it jump over the annoying nag menu in the beginning. I'll see if I can debug it tonight.

Anyone popped that sucker apart or know the specifications for the processor?
Old 08-12-2003, 03:28 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by Shawn S
Nope, not me
Not me either.
Old 08-12-2003, 05:08 PM
Adult Supervision

If anyone needs an off-site storage for their backups please contact me. We are so interested in happy customers we will PAY YOU to use our services!

Quick Reply: New navi software next month...a BIG question. Software engineers?