New motor vehicles laws in Texas that took effect September 1st..

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2003, 08:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New motor vehicles laws in Texas that took effect September 1st..

Copy and paste of the link;

New Traffic Laws Take Effect

Driving-related legislation taking effect September 1, 2003:

SB 45 makes it a state jail felony to drive while intoxicated with a passenger younger than 15.

SB 193 requires drivers nearing a stopped emergency vehicle that has lights activated, unless otherwise directed by a law enforcement officer, to:
Vacate the lane closest to the emergency vehicle, if the highway has two or more lanes traveling the direction of the emergency vehicle; or
Slow to a speed not more than 20 miles per hour (mph) less than the posted speed limit when the posted speed limit is 25 mph or more; or
Slow to a speed not more than five mph when the posted speed limit is less than 25 mph.
A violation is a punishable by a maximum fine of $200. If the violation results in property damage, the maximum fine increases to $500. If the violation results in bodily injury, the offense is enhanced to a Class B misdemeanor.

Having a video display that is visible from the driver’s seat is illegal. SB 209 expands the definition of video receiving equipment to include digital videodisc players, videocassette players or similar equipment. This equipment may be used only if it is located so that the video display is not visible from the operator’s seat.

HB 1326 automatically suspends for one year the driver license of anyone convicted of illegally racing on a public roadway. Before the license can be reinstated, the driver would have to complete 10 hours of community service. The punishment for illegal racing increases to a Class B misdemeanor. The law also increases the punishment for drivers who are racing drunk, who have open containers of alcohol in the vehicle when racing, who seriously injure or kill someone during the race or who have been convicted multiple times of illegal racing. Those offenses range from a Class A misdemeanor to a second-degree felony.

SB 439 makes it illegal to add reflective material, lights, emblems or anything else that changes the color of the license plate or makes it difficult to read the letters on the license plate. The name of the state where the vehicle is registered must be visible.

SB 613 suspends the driver license of anyone under the age of 21 who is convicted of the manufacture, delivery, possession, transportation or use of an abusable volatile chemical.

HB 2096 makes human trafficking a second-degree felony; if the person trafficked is younger than 14 years of age or the commission of the offense results in the death, the offense is a first-degree felony. The bill also makes it a Class B misdemeanor to transport a person in a trailer or semi-trailer.

HB 292 strengthens an existing law and allows a police office to have a blood or breath alcohol sample taken from a driver involved in an alcohol-related crash that kills or seriously injures another person, either in a motor vehicle or a boat.

SB 895 requires that a parent or family member participating in the Parent-Taught Driver Education Program have a valid license for the previous three years. The license cannot have been suspended, revoked or forfeited during the past three years for traffic-related violations.

SB 1445 amends the current law to allow limited use of electronic information from the magnetic strip on the back of driver licenses by banks-and Texas Parks and Wildlife and its vendors.

HB 148 makes it a Class A misdemeanor to manufacture, sell or possess a placard that is deceptively similar to a disabled parking placard without proper authorization. A person also commits a Class B misdemeanor if they knowingly park in a space designated for persons with disabilities using a counterfeit placard.

HB 1784 makes it an offense for a person to park their vehicle where it blocks a disabled access aisle that is designed to aid persons with disabilities.

HB 1330 allows an applicant to voluntarily list on their driver license or identification card any health condition that might impede communication with peace officers. The applicant must supply DPS with a written statement from a licensed physician. (NOTE: This law takes effect Jan. 1, 2004.)

HB 3588 increases the penalty for seriously injuring someone when illegally passing a school bus that is loading or unloading students to Class A misdemeanor.

NOTE: An erroneous email has been circulating the Internet, claiming that HB 281, which outlawed talking on a cell phone while driving-or without using a hands-free device-had passed and will take effect September 1. The bill did not pass and will not take effect.

The texts of these bills can be found at www.capitol.state.tx.us. Select the enrolled version.

And the actual link at TxDOT

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/directo.../pr081903b.htm
Old 09-16-2003, 08:50 AM
TRELOS

SB 209 would bust anyone with a Navi. Man that is FKin BS .

SB613 would FK me because I have an N2O tank in the trunk.

These laws just like all the traffic laws I feel are BS. U want a law that should've been past along time ago. Make it a law that if a felon flees that a chase can't be initiated.

Juker008
Old 09-16-2003, 10:08 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
"HB 1326 automatically suspends for one year the driver license of anyone convicted of illegally racing on a public roadway. Before the license can be reinstated, the driver would have to complete 10 hours of community service. The punishment for illegal racing increases to a Class B misdemeanor."

No more street racing for me for sure.

It doesn't really look like SB209 includes Navis, it just says videodisc players. I wouldn't consider the Navi disc a video disc.
Old 09-16-2003, 10:11 AM
Lead Footed

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally posted by danny25
"HB 1326 automatically suspends for one year the driver license of anyone convicted of illegally racing on a public roadway. Before the license can be reinstated, the driver would have to complete 10 hours of community service. The punishment for illegal racing increases to a Class B misdemeanor."

No more street racing for me for sure.

It doesn't really look like SB209 includes Navis, it just says videodisc players. I wouldn't consider the Navi disc a video disc.
I would initiate the "Clinton" defense method. It really wasn't racing officer . . . or I did not race with anyone . . . :P

Ruf
Old 09-16-2003, 10:17 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
"I did not have a street race with that Maxima."
Old 09-16-2003, 10:46 AM
TRELOS

I would asume that if a pig were to pull me over and see that I do have a Navi that he would assume that it is a VD player. I can hear what u are saying. They are trying to target in dash VD players. Although I do recall a state making Navis illegal only if the display were angled toward the driver, thus the Navi would be a driving distraction.

Juker008
Old 09-16-2003, 10:50 AM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
no mention of NAVI screen! if it plays DVDs.... maybe!
Old 09-16-2003, 01:10 PM
cor
MR O'NEAL

haha, i had a friend do that "i wasn't racing him story"--
at a stop light he floors against this prelude and he's losing by a car or two and then over this hill, 2 cops sitting there with lights on-- he slams on breaks and keeps going.. the prelude pulls over and we just keep going.. cop follows us.. we throw alcohol out the window.. he pulls us over.. my friend says like the guy was trying to cut us off so he was trying to slow down and he didnt know what the guy was trying to do and he was just trying to stay keep a safe distance and he cut the wheel and blah blah blah

cop bought it...
Old 09-16-2003, 02:29 PM
Lead Footed

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally posted by danny25
"I did not have a street race with that Maxima."
What !! You think they can get me for that race with that Maxima yesterday even though they didn't see me?? :P

Ruf
Old 09-16-2003, 03:18 PM
Race Director

Great laws..nothing wrong with them for most law-abiding citizens. It's about time they went on the books in Texas (most states have similar).
Old 09-16-2003, 03:25 PM
Moderator Alumnus

dude, some of those are nutty laws....

i'd def get busted for 3 of those in my life if i lived down there...
Old 09-17-2003, 09:59 AM
TRELOS

In Fla. the law for street racing is a follows:

1 year suspension of licence

30 days in jail

Impoundment of both vehicles in Police Impoundment (meaning u need a judge's permission to get ur vehicle back It will cost lots of $$$ to convince a judge with an attourney to get ur car back).

If I am not mistaken there is also a fine of $500 not to include the tickest that the officer would issue.

The 1 year suspension of the licence includes something like 12 points on ur licence which is how they suspend ur licence.

Don't forget as u spend ur days in jail awaiting the arainment u pay for the days that u vehicle is in impoundment.

And the state thinks that is going to curb street racing. All the new law does it put more civilian lives at risk. U get someone behind the wheel who doesn't want to go to jail, lose their licence, and/or lose their car do u think that person is going to go peacefully? FK NO They are going to run.

Juker008