New member of the scratched rim club..

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2001, 12:34 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New member of the scratched rim club..

Damn...I read the post concerning another member's scratched rims. I thought it would not happen to me. I've had a Ford Thunderbird for five years and NO scratched rims...I have had a black 2000 Chevrolet Corvette for 1 year and NO scratched rims...I have had a 2001 Type S for 3 weeks and SCRATCHED RIMS.
Worst thing I don't how it happen (driver side rear). Is there anybody that can fix the scratches? Or do I have to buy a new one?
Sh!t
Old 03-08-2001, 12:39 AM
Race Director

well you registered in FEB and its march 7, and you only have 10 posts.

Maybe if you were more of a contributing active member, this stuff wont happen to you.

Welcome to the club, 3 of my rims are scratched. I think the other one is too, i dont want to look.

maybe i should include some fine print letting you know i am just kidding.
------------------
2001 CL-S
Black/Black
Moonroof Visor
Black Wood Dash Kit
Currently on TL rims with Nokian Winter Tires
My Bitch

[This message has been edited by amirsafdari (edited 03-09-2001).]
Old 03-08-2001, 12:55 AM
I am Jack's need 4 SPEED!

well...i feel for ya, mines the passenger front !!

"...be careful out there"
Old 03-08-2001, 12:58 AM
I love my CL-S

one at the passenger rear rim

------------------
01 silver cl-s
k&n air filter
piaa 19169
cannon winter floor mats
Old 03-08-2001, 02:53 AM
ACME sucks!

One scratched rim here, was on rear right side, but is now on front right after tire rotation. I brushed a curb that was abnormally sticking out like this < ! A week later the curb was fixed. Damn my luck!

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2CL Type-S
Satin Silver/Ebony
No Navi
No Badges

35% tint/Wheel locks/Splash guards/PIAA 19169 bulbs/K&N 33-2178 air filter/Mobil-1 5W-30 oil & filter/Shine by Meguiar's/One scratched rim -- Competch springs on order!
Old 03-08-2001, 03:50 AM
Advanced

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by amirsafdari:
well you registered in FEB and its march 7, and you only have 10 posts.

Maybe if you were more of a contributing active member, this stuff wont happen to you.

Welcome to the club, 3 of my rims are scratched. I think the other one is too, i dont want to look.
</font>
What the heck does his amount of posting have to do with his scratched rim. How insane! And you go on to say that you have 3 scratched rims. Think before you post such rude and ridiculous messages. We're not here to attack each other, we're here to help each other enjoy our beautiful cars.

------------------
2001 CL-S Nighthawk Black w/ spoiler and chromed CL-S rims
Old 03-08-2001, 04:18 AM
Instructor

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by clevie:
What the heck does his amount of posting have to do with his scratched rim. How insane! And you go on to say that you have 3 scratched rims. Think before you post such rude and ridiculous messages. We're not here to attack each other, we're here to help each other enjoy our beautiful cars.

</font>
I think he was being sarcastic. They must not have that on your nonrude stick in the ass neighborhood

------------------
Sundance Gold
Comptech spring's
Still waiting for my car audio system to arrive
M-10 Blinder for sale/trade
V1-Remote for sale
Old 03-08-2001, 05:42 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't let valets park your car. I lost my one and only wheel in the first few weeks of ownership. I found the front passenger rim with two large curb bruises.

I replaced the wheel the next day at the dealer and paid way too much.

I won't let a valet touch the car -- ever.

I have been saved on a low curb by the wider 235 Toyos. They have a rim protector in them.

------------------
2001 Satin Silver Cl-S w/ NAVI
  • Mud Guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Toyo 235/45ZR17-97W* T1S Proxies on Stock 17" CLS wheels
  • Gtech 1/8th tank 40F ~=6.1
  • Zaino magic
  • Sways, headers, CAI comming soon

[This message has been edited by EricL (edited 03-08-2001).]
Old 03-08-2001, 04:28 PM
Intermediate

I haven't checked the forum since before Xmas, but it still seems a lot of the same old 'complaints' are resurfacing anew. I'm sure many of you (eg. Shawn) will recall on the hoopla even last summer.

Curbs aren't the only thing that will bite your rims...drive-thru car washes are well known for scratching the 'Japanese homeland' style wheels.

Meaning: those rims that have spokes, etc. which stick out PAST the edge of the rim.
I have scratches on the clear-coated polished aluminum and on the painted areas as well.
Most of mine look like somebody gave 'em a Brillo Pad buff job

Just remember that these rims we have on the 'S' are a feature of this model.

All of my scratches are from car washes. Some even claim to 'protect' against this kind of damage. I've had a couple of rather interesting 'discussions' with one owner.

I think the 'tire/wheel' brushes can cause the light scratches. The 'guide' rails will do a job on the raised portion of the spokes (as in 'gouges').

Once it warms up a bunch I'll buff one wheel out and run it thru his wash, with him seeing the before-&-after appearance. THEN we get down to brass tacks.

------------------
'01 Acura CL-S Black/Ebony, Nav-free
Old 03-08-2001, 09:56 PM
Race Director

Even though I have 2 scratched rims, I don't believe there is anything inheritantly wrong with the rim. It's your driving. Lemme explain.

Of course I didn't realize that if you hit a curb, the rims would become so badly damaged. This first time I scratched a rim was a couple of months after I bought the car. We all talked about our scratches online, yada yada yada. Keep in mind that prior to this car, I rarely if ever ran over the curb. It wasn't until this car that I started running over curbs and cutting corners and whatever. BUT this car does have a wide turn radius, it's hard to see out the passenger side, it's not easy to judge where the curbs are, and the rims do scratch easily when attacked. The next time you see a CL, instead of looking for the Type S or the acura.com sticker or the Navi, take a look at the wheel. No scratches I bet.

So to make a long story short, I scratched my second rim within another month, and then I was fed up and decided to drive more carefully (like 90% of the other drivers on the road). Every since then, no new scratches, not even close. It's too late. I do feel comfortable in repairing my rim and not re-scratching it, so I'm going to do this next week. So in summary, it's 90% your/my driving and 10% the wheel's fault.

Not trying to flame anyone, by whoever drives their vehicle into somebody else's car wash....in order to saw a little hard work...? So I guess if the car wash breaks out a side window, the Acura window people have a problem. Yes the car wash is at fault of course, but the day I drive my Acura into a car wash is the day they move the US Capitol to Topeka, Kansas.

------------------
* 2001 Acura CL Type S * Blk/Blk * Navigator * Spoiler * Moonroof Visor * V1 *
* Since 3/31/2000 *
* Road Warrior *

* 500 posts on h/a.net *** 400 posts "insane poster" on the "old" acura-cl.com *
Old 03-09-2001, 12:37 AM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by EricL:
Don't let valets park your car. I lost my one and only wheel in the first few weeks of ownership. I found the front passenger rim with two large curb bruises...I won't let a valet touch the car -- ever...

</font>
yeh, gotta agree with you there--i used to run a valet company in atlanta when i was in undergrad--we used to drive the living sh*t out of cars--especially anything 'sporty'!! (hey, it's gets boring standing in front of a strip club all night)
of course there is always a way around it--just give the guy 10 bucks and say "keep it up front" with a wink...
Old 03-09-2001, 05:20 AM
Instructor

scratched rims ?!

Who wonna compete mine ...

------------------
2001 CL-S Black/Navi
*Polarg M-6 , 35% tint
*Audio system upgraded
AMP: Xtant 603x
FRONT: Focal 165W
SUB: Boston Pro 10LF
Old 03-09-2001, 05:24 AM

it's not all bad--you still got one spoke left!!!
Old 03-09-2001, 05:52 AM
Suzuka Master

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by silverESS:
yeh, gotta agree with you there--i used to run a valet company in atlanta when i was in undergrad--we used to drive the living sh*t out of cars--especially anything 'sporty'!! (hey, it's gets boring standing in front of a strip club all night)
of course there is always a way around it--just give the guy 10 bucks and say "keep it up front" with a wink...
</font>
I guess if I'm ever stuck using a valet, I'll hand out a big up front tip (it is worth it). When I had my 92 Maxima SE during the 1st 2 years, I had parking lot guys around LA asking me with incredible excitement, "How ya like the car man...". I would talk to them a bit. When I'd return I would find the car 8 feet away from any cars, with it pointed out towards the exit. The car would be within eyeshot of the valet. I have theories, but always thought it was funny how the BMWs and Mercedes would be parked at the back within inches of each other...

------------------
  • Mud Guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Zaino magic
Old 03-09-2001, 02:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SD_surfer:
scratched rims ?!

Who wonna compete mine ...

</font>
That is messed up... I have a few scratches on the driver-side rear rim, but nothing like that. Ya gotta watch those curbs....

------------------
2001 Silver 3.2CLS
-Muds, Spoiler, Hardwire 8500, Prolarg M-6 lamps
Planning: Comptech Headers, Sways, CAI
Old 03-09-2001, 05:22 PM
Race Director

------------------
* Since 3/31/2000 *
* Road Warrior *

* 500 posts on h/a.net *** 400 posts "insane poster" on the "old" acura-cl.com *
Old 03-09-2001, 05:55 PM
WPS
Intermediate

ouch!
but i wouldnt worry about it so much guys..i bet you cant even notice it unless your nose is against it

------------------

[This message has been edited by WPS (edited 03-09-2001).]
Old 03-09-2001, 06:49 PM
uu
Burning Brakes

yeah, I joined the Scrached Rim club like second week of my CLS ownership... as of right now, I am kind of numb... all four of my CLS rims got them, so what is one more scrach gonna do? just park carefully...

------------------
2001 Stock Black/Black CL Type S
since 11/29/00
1300+ miles now and climbing
Old 03-09-2001, 07:33 PM
Advanced

I figured it out...it was at the local car wash. Didn't know about the fact that the rims stick outside of the rubber. It was too cold to wash it by hand, but I won't make that mistake again. Damn...it's time to look for new shoes for the CL-S.
Old 03-09-2001, 07:53 PM
Race Director

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by clevie:

</font>
yeah i was kidding man, relax

i was just saying i never see the guys name so he should post more often.

according to your reply, in my world the more you post on acura-cl.com, the less chances you have of scratching rims. haha, i find it funny that you think i am dumb enough to think like this.

sorry though, it is kind of my fault, i will edit the post and put some smiley faces for you.

------------------
2001 CL-S
Black/Black
Moonroof Visor
Black Wood Dash Kit
Currently on TL rims with Nokian Winter Tires
My Bitch
Old 03-09-2001, 08:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Anybody know why the Japanese like to use high positive offset rims. I love the car, but I see new Bimmer's with those dished rims and with a good tire (with rim protector) you would almost have to *try* to damage the car.

Don't get me wrong, I like the look of our cars rims. But sometimes wonder about the offset. Note: I had a wheel dealer specializing in European cars say they didn't carry any rims for Japanese cars. I just said thanks, and moved on.

------------------
  • Mud Guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Zaino magic
Old 03-13-2001, 04:58 PM
Intermediate

kensteele...

So, I should infer from your post that you are hand-washing your baby outside when its 20-degrees F? Or do you have a floor drain in your garage?

I won't mention that it may well be a LOT warmer most of the time down in your neck-of-the-woods.

When I was 25 I had lots of time & desire, & far fewer responsibilities... to lay some TLC on my DAILY ride.

I'm sure your car is not an end in itself; as mine definitely is not either...any car I have has to at least tolerate being driven through a typical car wash here in Michigan.
Just like it has to be able to live through the charming off-road simulations they refer to here as 'roads'.

I've looked at numerous vehicles around here, both at the car wash (the one I frequent is in Dearborn, near the Ford WHQ and other plants) and elsewhere and never have I seen a wheel that sticks out beyond the rim and/or tire like the originals on the Type-S.

The fact that some of the wheel is just polished and some is painted (all w/clear coat, ostensibly) probably makes the wheel more susceptible to scratches even if the spokes didn't 'bulge'.

I've never hit a curb with a wheel. While there are few places to actually parallel park anymore I suspect there are even fewer people who actually know HOW to properly parallel park...except by 'feel'.

My 15-yr-old son, who just got his learner's permit last spring did NOT receive instruction on parallel parking. This was a BIG deal when I had driver's ed in 1893. Heck, they don't even show 'em the blood-and-gore crash scenes anymore.

Damn, pretty soon they won't be able to get an all-expenses-paid tour of southeast Asia either.

Anybody here want to fess-up as to having ANY formal instruction for parallel parking?

------------------
'01 Acura CL-S Black/Ebony, Nav-free
Old 03-13-2001, 10:02 PM
Advanced

I, unkowingly, joined the scratched rim club a week after owning my CL-S. Mine would probably be slightly worse than others because I hit a curb that is designated for disabled parking. Yes, I have streaks of blue paint on my wheels.

I used to drive an '87 MR2 and I still am acquainting myself with the dimensions of my CL. I honestly think it is those extra horses inside the hood. They need to relax once in a while.

How much does one rim cost?

------------------
---revangel---
2001 CL-S Satin Silver / Ebony Interior / Navi
Old 03-13-2001, 10:30 PM
Instructor

well count me as another member of this club, Ijust saw it yesterday after I was checkin my tire pressure on the front passenger side.

------------------
2001 3.2CL-Type S, No Navig., Satin Silver, Spoiler, mudguards
Old 03-14-2001, 12:52 AM
Intermediate

11k no scratched rims, what the hell am I doing wrong? Course I do not use car washes.

STOCK/SILVER CL-S
Old 03-14-2001, 12:49 PM
Race Director

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DHB:
kensteele...

So, I should infer from your post that you are hand-washing your baby outside when its 20-degrees F? Or do you have a floor drain in your garage?

I won't mention that it may well be a LOT warmer most of the time down in your neck-of-the-woods.

When I was 25 I had lots of time & desire, & far fewer responsibilities... to lay some TLC on my DAILY ride.

I'm sure your car is not an end in itself; as mine definitely is not either...any car I have has to at least tolerate being driven through a typical car wash here in Michigan.
Just like it has to be able to live through the charming off-road simulations they refer to here as 'roads'.

I've looked at numerous vehicles around here, both at the car wash (the one I frequent is in Dearborn, near the Ford WHQ and other plants) and elsewhere and never have I seen a wheel that sticks out beyond the rim and/or tire like the originals on the Type-S.

The fact that some of the wheel is just polished and some is painted (all w/clear coat, ostensibly) probably makes the wheel more susceptible to scratches even if the spokes didn't 'bulge'.

I've never hit a curb with a wheel. While there are few places to actually parallel park anymore I suspect there are even fewer people who actually know HOW to properly parallel park...except by 'feel'.

My 15-yr-old son, who just got his learner's permit last spring did NOT receive instruction on parallel parking. This was a BIG deal when I had driver's ed in 1893. Heck, they don't even show 'em the blood-and-gore crash scenes anymore.

Damn, pretty soon they won't be able to get an all-expenses-paid tour of southeast Asia either.

Anybody here want to fess-up as to having ANY formal instruction for parallel parking?

</font>
I thought about this after I posted and you know you are absolutely right. I lived in Minnesota for over 10 years and all it took was less than 2 years and a 4 hour's drive to the south and I've already forgotten that there is no way you can handwash your vehicle in the dead of winter. I apologize for the oversight, I should have been more sensitive;, the exact same sentiments I use to express to non-Northerners who just couldn't image what winter is really like for us.

------------------
* Since 3/31/2000 *
* Road Warrior *

Old 06-25-2001, 11:12 PM
Racer

Newest member of sccratched rim club. Got car on the 15th of june and today is the 25th. Anyway to fix the rim.

------------------
Silver on black type s w/navi, spoiler, mud flaps, and tint
Old 06-25-2001, 11:19 PM
Racer

any ideas or experts on this subject. Please help

------------------
Silver on black type s w/navi, spoiler, mud flaps, and tint