New to Me CL Type S

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 06:49 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to Me CL Type S

Hey guys, i just made the jump from CB7tuner to Acurazine.

about 10 days ago, i purchased a 2001 3.2 CL type S. It's red (i hate red but oh well) it had 167,000 km on it, (171,000 now) and i got it for $8500 Canadian.
The rims are scratched (typical) from curbing, it has new Lexani tires which, I gotta say, are awesome.
I havent been achieving great fuel economy but I think when hte newness wears off a bit, Ill let up on the accelerator.

Looking forward to locating the battery to the trunk and putting in an intake kit. (tips anyone???)

I removed the terrible plastic battery box and I poured in some Amsoil 5w30 synthetic.

I am not a believer in Super Unleaded (more $$) so, regular is working just fine. Maybe I'm not making exactly 260 hp, but I was used to 130 in my 92 accord (which btw, had 483,000 kms on it--still goin, too).

Any and all advice is welcome.

Soon as I get some pics online, ill link em here.
Old 08-24-2008, 07:02 PM
Pro

I'll take that plastic battery cover off your hands
Old 08-24-2008, 07:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
congrats and welcome aboard!
Old 08-24-2008, 08:00 PM
3.5 psi

Received 798 Likes on 636 Posts
So i take it you're Canadian? Where abouts are you from? Congrats on the new purchase.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:50 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hondajeffca
my 92 accord (which btw, had 483,000 kms on it--still goin, too).
Whoa bro!

What kind of commute do you have?

Welcome to the forums.

As far as an intake.

Either get a name brand one from one our our Acurazine vendors in the "Black Market > Group Buy."

Or...

Buy a cheap one from eBay and then upgrade your intake filters.

Do some research on the forums regarding the upgrade octane fuel because while at first skeptical I have noticed some difference in the overall quality of drive.

There has been a bunch of debate over this topic for sometime and I lean towards the thought that you need to have the higher octane fuel or you will run your investment into shit.

The compression and various aspects of our engines really demand that octane.

You will discover for yourself but look over some of the previous threads on this topic if you can find them.

Good luck and welcome.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
Welcome
Check out the FAQ.....
https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-cl-2001-2003-50/%2A%2A%2A-official-2nd-gen-cl-information-thread-%2A%2A%2A-480087/

BTW, The CLS has a high compression engine. This is not a 92 Accord. It requires premium gas for this reason. Regular will decrease your fuel economy, hurt performance, & may have unforeseen long term effects on a high mileage engine.

And why do you want to relocate the battery?
Old 08-24-2008, 10:59 PM
Be Strong AND Courageous!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
Welcome to AZ!

...double check your transmission's status and when it had its last flush / fill...

Enjoy!!!
Old 08-25-2008, 12:18 AM
3rd Gear

thanks for the welcome...

I live near Calgary, Alberta.

If you want the battery box, it's yours.

As for my commute, well it's not that far. THe accord had 373 K when i bought it in 2005 - ive put 110 K on it...trouble free mostly, I guess about 40 K per year is above average but i used to put on 70 K/yr so I am improving. Btw, i love driving, I prefer a stick, but I wont pass up a decent car just b/c it's auto.

As for the relocation of the battery , it is 35-ish lbs that would fit fine in that huge trunk and leave room for an intake--of which I have yet to research and find the best for my car and budget.

I'm by no means anal about my car, I will likely never spend to repair or replace perfectly good wheels just b/c they're scuffed. Several door dings dont bug me either.
But, oh that colour! Arrest me red. I hate it.

I'll do some more investigating about the octane requirements, too. I owned a BMW bike once that 'required' high octane. THen one day, I couldnt get it, so I ran regular, hard and fast loaded to the max on 100 F day, it worked flawless. I never used super in it again. 52,000 km in eleven months on regular had me sold on the uselessness (sic) of high octane fuel.
Old 08-25-2008, 12:41 AM
'03 ABP YA4-S 6MT

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by hondajeffca
thanks for the welcome...

I live near Calgary, Alberta.

If you want the battery box, it's yours.

As for my commute, well it's not that far. THe accord had 373 K when i bought it in 2005 - ive put 110 K on it...trouble free mostly, I guess about 40 K per year is above average but i used to put on 70 K/yr so I am improving. Btw, i love driving, I prefer a stick, but I wont pass up a decent car just b/c it's auto.

As for the relocation of the battery , it is 35-ish lbs that would fit fine in that huge trunk and leave room for an intake--of which I have yet to research and find the best for my car and budget.

I'm by no means anal about my car, I will likely never spend to repair or replace perfectly good wheels just b/c they're scuffed. Several door dings dont bug me either.
But, oh that colour! Arrest me red. I hate it.

I'll do some more investigating about the octane requirements, too. I owned a BMW bike once that 'required' high octane. THen one day, I couldnt get it, so I ran regular, hard and fast loaded to the max on 100 F day, it worked flawless. I never used super in it again. 52,000 km in eleven months on regular had me sold on the uselessness (sic) of high octane fuel.
we live in a higher elevation here in alberta. so even though the car might be a higher compression (10.5:1), you probably don't need to run 91+ octane. i've been running cheap regular for over a year now with no reduction in fuel economy. performance has probably dropped, but not enough to notice (<10hp). the ECU also adjusts timing so that there is no knock.

as for relocating the battery specifically to make room for the intake, that's not required. even ebay intakes can work without the relocation, but if you're doing it for weight balance, by all means, do it. otherwise, it's a waste of time.

and why did you purchase a colour that you hate? especially cop magnet red
Old 08-25-2008, 12:48 AM
3rd Gear

Yea, the colour kinda sucks. but Im a rational guy, how can i pass up on a sweet acura, great condition except for some door dings...No rust, everything works great..thorough 180 KPH test drive up hwy 2,,,pass on this b/c it's red???

NO WAY. Colour is an emotional part of the car, asthetics dont mean shit.
But, i look at it each day and still dislike the colour. Luckily, it's not a cop magnet yet

glad to hear you're having good luck wiht lower octane.

where u at in AB?
Old 08-27-2008, 03:41 PM
Who did this in

Welcome to the CL family, you'll really enjoy the car. As for regular octane, yikes...I only put 94 octane in my ride and have had no issues at all over the past 4 years.