NEW KILL - New Altima 3.5 SE (Auto)

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2001, 11:23 AM
Shift_3.5 Auto

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NEW KILL - New Altima 3.5 SE (Auto)

295 coming from DC at a steady 25 -30 start!

Coming out of DC this kat was in a temp tag new Altima staring at my (oh so shiney ClS) and kept pace with me through the construction. Both of us was swerving in/out through traffic (playing car tag) when we hit 295, my favorite ROAD....we are doing 40 and we see the usual cop in the unauthorized median...we slowed down to about 35, soon as we passed the cop he pulls besides me and rolls down his window and I did too, he sticks his hand out the window and is pointing at the road and says "COME ON!", I was like YES here we go! We both roll our windows up and I wait for him to knod his head and we are off.
I quickly took off VSA and down the car to second nearly redlining..we are side by side for about a couple seconds and then 3rd - 4th VTEC we are going 100 and i keep climbing he is two cars behind me! I was laughing to myself he flashed the lights and tailed me. We both pulled off at 450 exit and pull into the crestar lot. He was like "damn i didn't know the cls had pull like that...I didn't even think you could see me in that car blah blah blah blah" needless to say he was and i was :P - - He said he would have got the manual but it's hard to find with ALL the options in it.
Old 11-20-2001, 02:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
good story and good kill! are you stock?
Old 11-20-2001, 03:17 PM
Shift_3.5 Auto

Yep, pretty much stock......

Yeah I am pretty much stock except for the sparkplugs and K&N air charger (better gas mileage) and a couple of cosmetic lights and tints. I have a AEM CAI but have not had the time to install it yet. The guy in the Altima said the same thing, he was surprised . You guys are scaring me w/ the tranny probs, so I am waiting a little b4 I do heavy mods......
Old 11-21-2001, 11:40 PM
Subie Dubie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't worry, do the mods and keep those stories comin !! By the way, you'll love that intake.
Old 11-22-2001, 11:46 AM
Saving $$$ for something

I HATE THE NEW ALTIMAS, IT TOOK NISSAN 3.5 LITERS TO MAKE 240HP? THAT GUY MUST HAVE RUN OUT OF GAS BECAUSE THAT CAR SUCKS GAS LIKE CRAZY. BUT 240 HP? WITH NO TOP END OUT OF THAT CAR? CAN WE SAY MUSTANG? WHATS NEXT FOR NISSAN 5.0 LITERS WITH 300HP?
Old 11-22-2001, 04:08 PM
Advanced

I think Nissan, instead of going 3.2L with continuously variable valve timing like the Acura motor, decided to go with a cheaper single valve timing scheme and achieve 240-255 hp. and a wide powerband with sheer displacement. The cost savings will allow that motor to be put in an Altima family sedan and still be profitable. putting the 3.5 in the altima in turn will make it yet more proftable in higher-end cars like the maxima, i35, g35, and 350z.
Old 11-22-2001, 05:05 PM
Saving $$$ for something

I hear ya, but I've seen modified GSRs put a hurting on the new maximas almost effortlessly on the highways. What is to be said about nissan's motors?
Old 11-22-2001, 09:24 PM
Shift_3.5 Auto

I am with you guys!

Yesterday evening my cousin and I went shopping for him a new car. He doesn't have much but wanted to look for a 5 spd that was low cost and had room. We test drove the altima 3.5 SE Auto (because the dealer had no 5spd) just to see the power for ourselves. MAN that car has no highend power! No flames please nissan lovers.... ! It completely sucks...Low end felt good but it seems like it lost it oumph! Next, was the MAX...that i have to say is pretty damn nice! HOWEVER, I do not know how that guy (earlier post) got his max (auto) to 14.7 qtr mile. NO WAY! NOT THAT FAST! I drove first hand! My stock CLS revved much faster that that car. Yes it was auto! I like nissans HOWEVER, you must get them in a stick to get full use out of their VQ engines.
Old 11-22-2001, 10:01 PM
Shift_3.5 Auto

Forgot to mention this!

Ok BTW, I thought this was pointless but my cousin said i should tell you guys (since he respects the CLS). When we finished the test drive we brought back the car and I got my CLS. With the young sales man and my cousin in the Altima 3.5 SE (auto) we wanted to see again what will happen with the CLS vs Altima.

We drove to route 410 at the stoplight where there is a LONG stretch of road that goes down hill and through two lights. Usually thats were the dealer allows the people to test drive and WOT new cars. We waited for the redlight and lined up together. RED GREEN ...WOT different story this time! I LEFT THEM OUT TO DUST! NO comparison...I thought it wasn't fair since I have some miles on mine and the altima had only 72 miles on it + salesman as passenger. STILL I was at least 5-6 cars in front. I will wait till the 5sp B4 i waste gas on them again....Like I said it was pointless. I burnt one b4.
Old 11-23-2001, 12:15 AM
Type S personality

A modified GSR can beat a Maxima, and a modified Civic and beat the CLS, 330i etc with it's 12 second 1/4 mile. Different cars, different forte. My sister has a 98 Integra and it's nice for a while until I got tired of getting squished in the driver's seat.

The Nissan's 4 speed auto losses a lot of power. Yet when I tested the auto Altima it was fast. The Maxima is about the same in acceleration but feel more solid.

No high end? Hmm, I don't know. I drove it pretty hard and it seemed ok
Old 11-23-2001, 12:46 AM
Cruisin'

As with any car with 72 or so miles on them, the performance will be rather limited, as with my CL brand new it lost to a GS-R, now I can eat those guys for lunch, not to mention the 2k2 maxima had me for dinner, the guy had 3500 miles on his car, and yes I witnessed the 14.7 1/4 mile first hand, its logic really also, 255hp and 246 tq, in a 3270lb car vs. a 260 hp 232 tq with a curb weight of 3525 lb with Navi. He must have done something special to his car but it did 14.7 in sleeper fashion(couldnt hear anything) ~ the track conditions were great. and YES the new altima 3.5 5-spds DO 14.4 STOCK , SAW IT ON MOTORWEEK. and they ususally do sorry times. NO CL-S stock vs. stock will take out the manual versions with good drivers.

Wait till I trade in my 01 CLS for the new manual versions, the maxima's will to me!
Old 11-23-2001, 07:34 AM
Shift_3.5 Auto

I see young skywalker....

Well this weekend we are going to passport nissan and we will finally end this nonsense. They have a demo new GLE 3.5 255hp MAX with 3500 miles on it. WE WILL test drive that demo since it has miles on it...and I will bring the CLS. There are plenty of stoplights around the lovely 495 interstate. My cousin drives the hell out of cars ...WE WILL see first hand MAX (auto) vs CLS (no major mods). I will post my opinions Sunday!
Old 11-23-2001, 05:11 PM
Subie Dubie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lookin forward to the Max/ CL-S showdown report.
Old 11-23-2001, 07:30 PM
Pro

Yeah, I can't wait for results...this is really odd to me. I thought the MAX and Altima had the exact same motor. My experience was totally different vs. 2k2Max and vs. 0? CLS.
Old 11-24-2001, 01:04 AM
Cruisin'

To really end this, I will be at bradenton motorsports park this coming thursday, and I will RACE THE 2k2 Maxima GLE, where all conditions of the race are RIGHT, none of this street B.S., I've been practicing my launches and so forth, and am very confident I will do alot better than before.

-VIDEOGRAPHY WILL BE DONE
-BOTH CARS WE RECAP MODS-ON VIDEO
-CAMERA WILL BE MOUNTED INSIDE CARS DURING EACH RUN
-VIDEO WILL BE NO MORE THAN 100MB IN SIZE FOR CLARITY

ALL THIS NON SENSE WILL END HOPEFULLY FROM THE VIDEO
MY CAR WILL KEEP THE CAI , AND WE WILL SEE WHAT THE 2K2 MAXIMA HAS IN STORE. I HAVE SETUP THIS RACE AND HE HAS INFORMED HIS MAXIMA.ORG PEOPLE ABOUT THIS ALSO.
FOR EVERYBODY IN THE BRADENTON, FL AREA, BE ADVISED, THE 2K2 MAXIMA WILL BE THERE TO FACE THE 2K1 CL TYPE S.
6:00PM -10PM BRADENTON MSP, FORMERLY DESOTO SPEEDWAY,
9 MILES WEST OF I-75. CRACKER BARREL EXIT. (EXIT 42)
Old 11-24-2001, 08:16 AM
Shift_3.5 Auto

Well said...Can't argue with that!

CTech01CLS -

I will wait for the results from your race. We just got rain and it might rain for the next few days I still want to race my cousin as seeing how if we are on a parkway going 50 -55 and he WOT the max we can see who has more pull in the top end. I like race tracks seeing as how you can prove your 60' + 1/4 but, there are none around here Plus ...I don't know of anyone who has a 2k2 Max to meet me at one anyway... Still tho, after your results...people will still have their opinions seeing as how those dyno times all depend on driver + car + conditions. I trust your skills since you been to the track b4. KILL THE MAX!
Old 11-24-2001, 09:27 AM
Shift_3.5 Auto

For the Max-org lurkers.....

Doubt my story...huh? How we all hate mag times... MOTORTREND November 2001 issue.... page 36 FIRST DRIVE under the Italdesign aston martin twenty twenty ..... PLEASE READ about the new MAX :o
Old 11-24-2001, 09:44 AM
Shift_3.5 Auto

Remember Auto vs Auto ...NOT 5spd!

Now look at this http://www.motortrend.com/aug01/cl/cl_f.html

IF you can't then

Altima 3.5 5spd - 6.28
Altima 3.5 Auto - ??

Maxima 3.5 6spd - 6.4(est)
Maxima 3.5 Auto -??

Acura CLS 5spd Auto - 6.4
Acura TLS 5spd Auto - 6.3

Same magazine same company same drivers! THIS IS ONLY FOR THE MAG READERS...Do the mag math. I preferr the streets or race tracks...if i can find one.
Old 11-24-2001, 11:21 AM
Saving $$$ for something

MAKE SURE YOU FLASH THOSE HAZARDS WHEN YOU WIN
Old 11-24-2001, 03:23 PM
Advanced

Re: Remember Auto vs Auto ...NOT 5spd!

Originally posted by ThoroDredCLS
Now look at this http://www.motortrend.com/aug01/cl/cl_f.html

IF you can't then

Altima 3.5 5spd - 6.28
Altima 3.5 Auto - ??

Maxima 3.5 6spd - 6.4(est)
Maxima 3.5 Auto -??

Acura CLS 5spd Auto - 6.4
Acura TLS 5spd Auto - 6.3

Same magazine same company same drivers! THIS IS ONLY FOR THE MAG READERS...Do the mag math. I preferr the streets or race tracks...if i can find one.

Umm... You must have been smoking heavy amounts of something. HONESTLY I know CLS and TLS are fast but please try to look inside yourself and shame the devil.I beg of you dont get mad when I say this.........Ain't no CLS or TLS running to 60 in 6.3 seconds.OK I'll be honest too I have seen several publications(Road and track,Edmuds.com;ect) Quoting-The CLS 0-60 in 6.6 sec but it gets NO FASTER than that but it consistently turns in 1/4 miles of 15.1,15.2,15.3 which is not all that and therefore negates the quick 0-60 time(6.6)by reading through this great sites post and testament to the ownwers you can probaly attribute the not so stellar 1/4 mile time to the weak 4th gear(small consequence of VTEC).Let me reiterate the CLS is fast as crap dont get it twisted.Now as for the Max/CL wars In my personal opinion I like the max better but I do not think in will beat the CLS to 60 But it might be able to edge it out in the 1/4 mile and at speeds in access of 100 you have got to go with the maxima.... I live in the D.C area and if you read this ThoroDredCLS
I would like to come along to the dealership with you and watch you race the max......and just another question what do you all think about the engines in the two cars which is better and why what are disadvantages and advantages i like to know what you think.
Old 11-24-2001, 05:38 PM
Shift_3.5 Auto

AHA a wise max owner (maxima.org)

I do not hate max's or nissan I am just telling you guys what happen. I had a pathfinder b4 i got my CLS read my earlier post and b4 the pathfinder I had a GLE nissan maxima 95 so don't you guys go around boasting we hate maxs and $hi.. . AND 4 all of you max.org followers.. If you read the beginning of the thread without being mad, the altima had TEMP TAGS. DOES THAT MEAN ANYTHING TO YOU GUYS? HMMMMMM? 02 altima with temp tags? Means the car is new! Probally not broken in yet?! EXACTLY! I AM NOT STUPID! I will race a 6spd max or a 5spd altima! Not saying I will win I am in it for the fun! I didn't bash the guy in the altima...Incase he is reading...I was giving you my opinions! I don't give a damn if ya'll don't like them or not. Drive the car like I did and the max and judge 4 yourselves.

I am waiting 4 better weather and C-Techs results!

THE END!
Old 11-24-2001, 05:49 PM
Type S personality

I like both the Maxima and the TLS/CLS so doesn't matter. Of course since I own a 2002 Maxima I favor the Max. So far I love the car. There are certain things that one car has that is better than the other. After market stuff is more abundant for the Acura but Nissan after market products should come out soon.

I chose the Maxima because I prefer the 'out rageous' look rather than the 'ho hum' look. I wanted manual transmission so that was a another reason. My 99 SE had no problem so that was a bonus. Here the Acura will cost me $2,500 more. I like both lines of cars, but I was concerned with the people who were upset about problem with tranny, rotors, etc.

Which is faster? Who knows?!? There are too many factors. I don't like a lot of the bratty Acura/Honda drivers around here. Not to generalize but a lot of these annoying individuals are of same race as myself.
Old 11-24-2001, 06:08 PM
Shift_3.5 Auto

Finally, a nice max lover!

I like both the Maxima and the TLS/CLS so doesn't matter. Of course since I own a 2002 Maxima I favor the Max.
Exactly....Love the car you bought! I chose a CLS because I was being lazy and didn't want a stick 4 simple reasons, evening and morning traffic.

CLS auto ran in the 0-60 times in 6's. What other quality car AUTOMATIC could do that as of June 00???? I did not want a domestic. Furthermore - I got a good deal!
Old 11-24-2001, 06:41 PM
Shift_3.5 Auto

Seems like I am replying alot!

ANYWAY - This should be great! I will be getting my CLS serviced Monday morning at Tischer Acura Nissan. While my car is in the shop...I will walk my A$$ 30ft over to the nissan dealer. I will drive the Stick MAX, stick altima, auto max, auto altima (if i have time). Anyone care to join?
Old 11-24-2001, 06:51 PM
6 speed...

Re: Re: Remember Auto vs Auto ...NOT 5spd!

Originally posted by KP117

I beg of you dont get mad when I say this.........Ain't no CLS or TLS running to 60 in 6.3 seconds.OK I'll be honest too I have seen several publications(Road and track,Edmuds.com;ect) Quoting-The CLS 0-60 in 6.6 sec but it gets NO FASTER than that but it consistently turns in 1/4 miles of 15.1,15.2,15.3 which is not all that and therefore negates the quick 0-60 time(6.6)by reading through this great sites post and testament to the ownwers you can probaly attribute the not so stellar 1/4 mile time to the weak 4th gear(small consequence of VTEC).
nonsense.

motor trend reported a 0-60 for the cl-s of 6.4 seconds back in january (and backed it up with a 14.8s 1/4 mile run). motor trend also reported a 0-60 for the tl-s of 6.3 seconds in may (and also backed this up with a 14.7s 1/4 mile run).

it is true that other publications have shown more runs in the mid-6s 0-60 and the low 15s in the 1/4 mile, but one has to expect some variations in performance given the vagaries of testing methodology and series production cars.

furthermore, several people on this site (including myself) have had 14.8-14.9 second 1/4 mile runs in completely stock cls (and there have been some one the tl board as well).

the 4th gear issue doesn't even enter into either the 0-60 or the 1/4 mile as 3rd is good to approximately 110mph and the trap speeds for stock cl/tls is are typically in the low to mid 90's.
Old 11-24-2001, 08:06 PM
Advanced

Re: Re: Re: Remember Auto vs Auto ...NOT 5spd!

Originally posted by tankmonkey

nonsense.

motor trend reported a 0-60 for the cl-s of 6.4 seconds back in january (and backed it up with a 14.8s 1/4 mile run). motor trend also reported a 0-60 for the tl-s of 6.3 seconds in may (and also backed this up with a 14.7s 1/4 mile run).

it is true that other publications have shown more runs in the mid-6s 0-60 and the low 15s in the 1/4 mile, but one has to expect some variations in performance given the vagaries of testing methodology and series production cars.

furthermore, several people on this site (including myself) have had 14.8-14.9 second 1/4 mile runs in completely stock cls (and there have been some one the tl board as well).

You make an excellent point...........However if I pick up six different magazines(Including motor trend) of which have tested The TLS and CLS and five of them show 0-60 times 6.6 for the CLS and 6.6 to 7.0 for the TLS and only one(motor trend)Comes up with 6.4 and 6.3 respctivley I'll tend to go with the majority rather than the radical numbers futher more the reason why I SERIOUSLY doubt the motortrend times is because it is the only publication EVER to test TLS faster than the CLS(6.3 to 6.4)you yourself tamonkey should succumb to logic and know that's a mistake.You see I am a nissan, guy Motorweek Tested the altima SE 5spd to 60 in 5.9 and the 1/4 mile in 14.4 but three other publications all come up with 6.2-6.3second for sixty and 14.8 in the quarter mile, now if you were to ask me what the altima runs in the 1/4 mile I not going to say 14.4 because that is the fastest I have seen but rather 14.8 because it is more common from publication to publication.
Old 11-25-2001, 08:12 AM
6 speed...

Re: Re: Re: Re: Remember Auto vs Auto ...NOT 5spd!

Originally posted by KP117
You make an excellent point...........However if I pick up six different magazines(Including motor trend) of which have tested The TLS and CLS and five of them show 0-60 times 6.6 for the CLS and 6.6 to 7.0 for the TLS and only one(motor trend)Comes up with 6.4 and 6.3 respctivley I'll tend to go with the majority rather than the radical numbers futher more the reason why I SERIOUSLY doubt the motortrend times is because it is the only publication EVER to test TLS faster than the CLS(6.3 to 6.4)you yourself tamonkey should succumb to logic and know that's a mistake.
again, it comes down to testing methodology: different magazines have different test protocols.

some magazines allow their editors to do whatever it takes when launching the car in order to get a good time, allowing unlimited wheelspin and multiple runs.

some magazines may avoid wheelspin, may limit the number of runs made in the attempt to get the best time, or may require that traction control be on and functioning during their tests (even if the car comes with an off switch for tc).

more importantly, some magazines may not separately test the 1/4 mile and the 0-60 runs and, instead, may use the 0-60 measurement from the 1/4 mile run. in reality, these are two separate measurements (time-to-speed and time-to-distance) typically requiring different launch and traction management techniques. a launch that gives a great 1/4 mile time may have too much wheelspin for an accurate 0-60 measurement.

because of the aforementioned differences in testing methodology, it would be extremely difficult to make a direct comparison of times between the different magazines. therefore, you might just as well quote the fastest time you've seen published for the car. without a proper statistical foundation to build upon, you cannot know what the standard deviation for the car's performance would be and therefore cannot determine with any certainty whether one particular test is an outlying result or not. your method of eliminating the outlying result may seem resonable, but it is based on an assumption which, without testing, makes it no more or less valid than my method of using the best reported time.

what you should be able to do is see the relative differences in performance between all the vehicles tested by that particular magazine, provided the tests are performed consistently. thus, if the new altima 3.5se 5 speed (as an example) consistently tests significantly faster than the type s in multiple magazines over a reasonably extended period of time (to minimize the effect of "ringers" being given to the magazines by the manufacturer) then one would not be unreasonable in concluding that the altima is likely to be significantly faster than the type s on the street and/or track.

as far as the tl-s testing quicker than the cl-s, why is that a problem? these are, after all, mass produced automobiles with minor variances in performance that weigh within 30 lbs of each other at manufacturer's specifications. to complicate things further, they were tested 4 months apart, perhaps even tested at different venues and with different drivers. a .1 second difference in 0-60 and 1/4 mile between such similar cars under such testing conditions would not be statistically significant.

imho, the fact that motor trend tested the tl-s 4 months after the cl-s and ended up with very similar results simply validates the results from the original cl-s test.
Old 11-30-2001, 09:22 AM
Mr. PC

I read an article a while back bashing those new 3.5 Altimas. I think it was Car and Driver. They when it was Dyno'd the horsepower at the wheels was way under what it was advertised. Plus evertime they traded for a new test model, the horsepower changed. They also said the first car Nissan gave them to test a long time ago had obviously been precision tuned and nowhere near what they received for the second set of tests. I don't know the model but it was the supposed newest and fastest (SE-R maybe).
Old 11-30-2001, 10:24 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
OK EVERYONE JUST STFU AND RACE OMG WHAT A BUNCH OF SALLY'S