New Intake

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2002, 10:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Intake

I have been toying with the idea of making a new intake for myself. This decision was based on a few observations. I do have the AEM CAI but the one made for the AV6. It uses 2.75 Inch piping versus the Type-S which uses 3.0 Inch piping. I am using the AV6 intake since I was impatient; it was available and would fit after cutting the pipe.

But after looking at both I questioned the complete CAI aspect of the system. Yes, the filter is outside of the engine compartment. However, the largest passage into the area where the filter is located is from the engine compartment. This means that there is a good chance that a large portion of the air ingested comes from the engine bay. Additionally, the length of pipe used has to have some negative affects. In most high powered applications the filter is as close to the first ingesting body as possible. Lastly, I wasn’t worried about hydro-lock living in the area I do (there are plenty of hills), but soiling of the filter is a concern.

So the idea of a CAI intake with a sealed compartment isolated from the engine bay was appealing, ala the upcoming Comptech Icebox and the Weapons-R box. But I wanted something a little bit more; particularly in durability and lack of maintenance.

So I have started construction of my own box which should completely isolate any heat (as much as possible) from the filter element. The idea is to provide the most reasonable and largest piping along with shortest route. Have the largest filter possible; not for power increases but for reduced maintenances (the larger the filter the less often you need to worry about cleaning it).

So I have almost completed the first prototype. This is a crude design but will suffice until it is tested. The below picture does not have the cover which will hide the entire assembly. Additionally the filter has not arrived (on order) so it is not shown but it is a K&N RE-0810, 3.0 Inch outlet but 6 Inch x 4-5/8 Inch Diameter; but with a length of 9 Inches. That gives a much larger surface area and should provide for great long term durability.

The final assembly will consist of lighter weight and thinner walled piping. The box will also be 100 Mil sheet metal with a black powder coat finish. The idea is to look as close to an OEM product as possible and produce as good if not better power than others.

Keep in mind the is the prototype less filter and lid. So it is ugly (not to mention my lack of a quality digital camera)!!! But the piping does have nice, smooth radius bends…

Just FYI; out of curiosity I converted my old CAI to a short ram configuration as shown below:

Old 09-13-2002, 10:26 PM
A-CL Official Member

Looks like a SHORT RAM already available in the market.
Old 09-13-2002, 10:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by GMAN
Yes, the second picture is. The first one has a filter-less pipe with walls to isolate it from the engine bay.

Later, there will be a large filter on the set up in the first picture along with a lid to further isolate the system.
Old 09-13-2002, 10:38 PM
Team Owner

Maybe you should have read his ENTIRE post before firing off that quick slam.

Looks good Scalbert, I look forward to your future performance tests.

Shawn S
Old 09-13-2002, 10:43 PM
Suzuka Master

BTW, as an observation with the Short Ram set up, it certainly has a different sound. It is definitely more significant than the longer tubed CAI set up. But does have a nice tone to it...
Old 09-13-2002, 10:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Shawn S
Maybe you should have read his ENTIRE post before firing off that quick slam.

Looks good Scalbert, I look forward to your future performance tests.
Thanks Shawn,

I will go to the dyno to prove or disprove the capability. This should take place in mid October. Similar to the defunct DYI RES I attempted!!

However, I will only have my old, albeit limiter AEM intake as a reference. But I do have comparative dynos with that intake and a stock CL-S.
Old 09-14-2002, 12:30 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Very cool Steve! How about a sound clip?
Old 09-14-2002, 08:50 AM
Suzuka Master

I'll charge up the camera and capture some sounds from in the cab. I might be able to get this later today.
Old 09-14-2002, 09:09 AM
FvCK KNvCKLE

Scalbert is the one of our resident Engineering gurus. His contributions here, as well as his knowledge of engines and cars ingeneral are far superior to most. He is truly an ace for this board. His posts and information deserve the utmost respect.
Old 09-14-2002, 10:22 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Scalbert,
Looks good WIll the box completely seal the intake off from the engine compartment??

A few of the philly board members and I have tossed an idea around for those with the standard AEM pipe.

Towards the end of ownership of my last CLS i had removed the roadlamps. I began to hate the look and wanted a little extra cooling. Some of the board members also remove the roadlamp near the CAI so they can provide a "ram-air". You know that you really can't have ram air unless the chamber where intake path is located is completely sealed. Do you think sealing off the box and the area directly beneath the box would offer and peformance gains? My only worry is the creation of turbulance near the road lamp or perhaps in the sealed porition of underneath the box that would render the work useless....
Old 09-14-2002, 11:18 AM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
Nice work Scalbert...

I'm curious to see those future dyno charts for any gains...
Old 09-14-2002, 12:52 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

When I was removing the Injen Cone for cleaning and recharging
I saw tons of the debris and dirts above the splash guard and under the Cone... The filter was wetted few times and the dirt grits is visible all over the cone filter... rain will wash out the filtering oil (bad)!... However, luckily... the filter did its job when I remove it... there is no visisble sand inside the cone.

I am thinking of ordering this ( $50 + shipping) :
Old 09-14-2002, 01:00 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Scalbert,
YOu going with a cotton or foam filter? Mentioned low maintainence so I would assume cotton. Although foam performs better cotton has less up-keep.
Old 09-14-2002, 02:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Zapata
WIll the box completely seal the intake off from the engine compartment??

Towards the end of ownership of my last CLS i had removed the roadlamps. I began to hate the look and wanted a little extra cooling.
That is the working idea; to completely seal it iff. So the only air entering the box would be from the outside.

Which bring bring us to your other idea. Particularly with the 6-Speed since there is no road lamps, that piece could be removed to allow more air in for the filter...
Old 09-14-2002, 02:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Zapata
YOu going with a cotton or foam filter?
K&N RE-0810 cotton filter.
Old 09-14-2002, 02:15 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Another Idea... Ayone has tried to thermal wrap the CAI tube as to reduce the heat tranfer.. In summer days, that Al tube gets vert hot quickly..

Any thoughts... Any recommended thermal blanket material?
Old 09-14-2002, 04:38 PM
Xe- For Better Hwy Vision

Already on it!!!

I have some thermal wrap reflect sleeve from Federal Mogul Systems Protection Group. This stuff is high tech and some of the guys at the last Philly meet found it interesting. Don't know about any significant gains in HP, but I'm willing to bet it will keep the air inside the pipe a lot cooler.

Old 09-14-2002, 05:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
nice work scalbert. gotta love the custom stuff...
Old 09-17-2002, 10:13 PM
Suzuka Master

I cut the brackets and the cover tonight. I'll paint it with glossy black paint for looks in the next day or two but unfortunately the filter will not be in until Friday or Monday.

BTW, CAD drawings will be provided... Again, sorry for the crude pictures, it is a digital video camera...

Old 09-17-2002, 11:48 PM
Community Architect
robb m.

Received 632 Likes on 281 Posts
wow, that looks awesome Steve, I hope it will fit in with my larger battery and fuse blocks
Old 09-18-2002, 02:33 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
looks like it's coming along nicely. what are your expectations on gains? do you think it could outperform the cai?
Old 09-18-2002, 07:35 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by mattg
do you think it could outperform the cai?
I'm not sure but I will certainly test it. I'll dyno it back to back to verify any potential gains. This was more of a project for enjoyment and the challenge than it was for gains. But any gains are certainly welcome...
Old 09-18-2002, 07:36 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Astroboy
wow, that looks awesome Steve, I hope it will fit in with my larger battery and fuse blocks
Thanks Robb, just a few minor modifications and it would probably fit anywhere.
Old 09-18-2002, 09:17 AM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Keep up the good work Steve. I appreciate your dedication and your DIY approach.
Old 09-23-2002, 01:49 PM
Suzuka Master

I just got the new filter in and boy it is big. I just hope is fits. If I get the intake manifold work done tonight I might be able to get the new intake in.

Also, the whole thing is painted now a nice glossy black and should look pretty good in the car...