Need some advice..selling cl-s..which car should i get?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 02:58 PM
G.uns O.n D.emand

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Need some advice..selling cl-s..which car should i get?

Heys guys would like some advice from my a-zine brothers...i am selling my 01 cl-s auto and have a budget of around $25,000 max...
I originally wanted to get an 07 bmw 335i coupe but after doing some research i am not going to deal with the high maintenance costs and the problem with the high pressure fuel pump problems associated with this model...i am done with the manufacturers lemons..big reason of why i am getting rid of my auto cl. Too much money and headaches...sooo i have narrowed my search to 3 cars that i really like..
I am kind of torn as to what to buy so i would appreciate any thoughts, inputs or possible suggestions. I only want auto because of the wife and she will be driving the car..heres my short list:
#1 2008-2010 honda accord coupe v6 with navi
i love coupes and i really love the styling, performance and reliabilty of this car.
Price range 23,000- 19,000.
# 2 2008 cadillac cts 3.6l di awd
really great looking car in and out but seems to be slow for a 3.6l 304 hp engine. 0-60 times in the 6.5 second range...yuck i was expecting so much more. I am leaning towards buying the cts but hesitant..oh ya and its a gm product..big negative for me
price range 25,000- 23,000 for a lower mileage example..
# 3 2008-2009 infiniti g37 s-journey
its nice and fast enough but i don't know if i love it..in my price range high end more miles...i think its too small...
27,000-24000
the car i want the accord...i am a honda acura nut...am i crazy to want the accord coupe out of these 3? My wife wants the cts and i like the cts too but...i don't know!!?? I don't want to buy a cts and get my doors blown off by an accord coupe on my way to work...
0-60 times, handling, ride comfort are all issues for..this is my daily driver....
Help!!!??? Please!!!!
Old 11-02-2010, 03:03 PM
Safety Car

Received 214 Likes on 143 Posts
Why is this in the CL section...?

Received 16,266 Likes on 11,974 Posts
accord has my vote! but make it the sedan!
Senior Moderator

Received 79 Likes on 71 Posts
First of all, the High pressure pump issue on the 335's have been addressed, the pumps are warrantied now for 10 years and 100k miles, and your first 4 years of maintenance free. So I wouldn't shy away from that vehicle.

But anyway, if i had to choose, I'd get the g37 or the Accord, both great stylish cars that have been proven reliable and pretty quick.
Old 11-02-2010, 03:50 PM
G.uns O.n D.emand

Originally Posted by Rapture
Why is this in the CL section...?
because i own a cl and i am debating which car i should get rid of it for....thanks for the advice by the way
Old 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally Posted by DaInFaMMuS1
First of all, the High pressure pump issue on the 335's have been addressed, the pumps are warrantied now for 10 years and 100k miles, and your first 4 years of maintenance free. So I wouldn't shy away from that vehicle.

But anyway, if i had to choose, I'd get the g37 or the Accord, both great stylish cars that have been proven reliable and pretty quick.
He's talking about an 07 though, I'm guessing he still has the HPFP warranty but I think 4 years of maintenance doesn't apply here. Not sure how BMW handles maintenance plan with CPO (or if the 07 he speaks of is CPO).

I vote Accord but I'm biased.
Old 11-02-2010, 06:28 PM
3.5 psi

Received 798 Likes on 636 Posts
i say accord also, but get the sedan. If you and your wife are considering kids, then get the sedan. The infinity's are gas guzzlers, as nice as they are.
If your budget is 25k max, you could get a CL-S6 and mod it to the tits. M90 supercharger, body kit, paint...
Old 11-02-2010, 11:08 PM
Dan
Safety Car

Received 220 Likes on 127 Posts
Stretch the budget a little and look at a CPO Lexus GS350.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:54 PM
Banned

Received 113 Likes on 91 Posts
I had accord coupe 08 but i got tired of the tight quarter for me and my wheelchair. The v6 ex-l sedan is so nice. add lip spoiler.
Old 11-03-2010, 12:10 AM
G.uns O.n D.emand

Originally Posted by DaInFaMMuS1
yes but i have to find a cpo bmw to be covered by that...i have just heard so many horror stories of $200 oil changes and $1000 brake jobs...i blindly ignored the auto trans nightmare when i bought my cl...i promised myself i wont do that again...this car has a known defect..i have heard people on bmw forums that have gone through 13 hpfp's !!! no friggin way...love the car but can't afford the maintenance or potential problems...

Originally Posted by gnuts
i say accord also, but get the sedan. If you and your wife are considering kids, then get the sedan. The infinity's are gas guzzlers, as nice as they are.
If your budget is 25k max, you could get a CL-S6 and mod it to the tits. M90 supercharger, body kit, paint...
i am detecting zero love in here for the cts...hmmm
i am leaning towards the accord too...

Originally Posted by Dan
Stretch the budget a little and look at a CPO Lexus GS350.
nah...lexus does absolutely nothing for me...toyota / lexus are souless
Originally Posted by ParaSurfer1979
I had accord coupe 08 but i got tired of the tight quarter for me and my wheelchair. The v6 ex-l sedan is so nice. add lip spoiler.
no sedans for me...love my coupes...when i drove the accord coupe i was shocked how big it felt inside and out...seems like a perfect fit for me..not too big not too small..thanks for the advice though dude
Old 11-03-2010, 12:15 AM
G.uns O.n D.emand

here is the cts i am considering buying...friggin loaded out...i have one major problem with it...the color!!! i don't want a purple car!!! color is called black cherry...i have yet to see it in person...
thoughts guys??
See this vehicle on Cars.com
Old 11-03-2010, 12:48 AM
I Drive Like A Dick 8≈

Received 79 Likes on 66 Posts
I'd say the G37 or Accord but when it comes down to the two

RWD>FWD

G37 all the way bro
Old 11-03-2010, 02:59 AM
is planing PrisonBreak in

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

[QUOTE=PAYMEE;12462372]here is the cts i am considering buying...

I dont see why not the CTS, for the price its great deal and I am sure you can get it for say 20,500 just negociate. I think CTS is very nice looking car and handels great with good gas milage. I have driven one, I buy it over BMW any day. About GM I have had 2 gm cars drove both upto 150k with only minimum maintainence, both were great and compare that to my toyota which had pile of issues from jamed brakelines to axle and then maintaining the CL is also costly.
But for coupe I go for the infinity any day, but I guess accord is only coupe you are considering, not bad choice but FWD. Wt bout hundai's or RX8
Old 11-03-2010, 07:40 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
The accord would likely be my choice out of those. Easiest to maintain. But I'd rather get a SUV of some type. Maybe a MDX or 4 Runner. SI/NYC roads just tear up good cars. Friend of mine got a used X3 from open rd BMW a few months ago. I got to ride in it a few weeks ago when I was up there for a wedding. Pretty nice.

Last edited by fuzzy02CLS; 11-03-2010 at 07:43 AM.
Old 11-03-2010, 12:18 PM
G.uns O.n D.emand

[quote=victypes;12462525]
Originally Posted by PAYMEE
here is the cts i am considering buying...

I dont see why not the CTS, for the price its great deal and I am sure you can get it for say 20,500 just negociate. I think CTS is very nice looking car and handels great with good gas milage. I have driven one, I buy it over BMW any day. About GM I have had 2 gm cars drove both upto 150k with only minimum maintainence, both were great and compare that to my toyota which had pile of issues from jamed brakelines to axle and then maintaining the CL is also costly.
But for coupe I go for the infinity any day, but I guess accord is only coupe you are considering, not bad choice but FWD. Wt bout hundai's or RX8
what do you think about the color?? from the research i have done it seems that the cts is slower then the cl..not cool man..does anyone know which is faster, the accord coupe, cts 3.6 di or the cl...i know the g37 is the fastest but i really don't love it...and its rwd not good for the snow we get here in nyc....
Old 11-03-2010, 12:23 PM
G.uns O.n D.emand

Originally Posted by fuzzy02CLS
The accord would likely be my choice out of those. Easiest to maintain. But I'd rather get a SUV of some type. Maybe a MDX or 4 Runner. SI/NYC roads just tear up good cars. Friend of mine got a used X3 from open rd BMW a few months ago. I got to ride in it a few weeks ago when I was up there for a wedding. Pretty nice.
i am really leaning towards the accord but people laugh at me when i tell them the cars i am debating over...i love honda man...best engines in the world...very good point about si roads...really do suck...and i commute 30 miles one way from si to the bx everyday frigggin day...
i hate suv's slow, heavy and thirsty...thanks for the advice though...
Old 11-03-2010, 12:25 PM
G.uns O.n D.emand

does anyone know which is faster, the accord coupe, cts 3.6 di or the cl...what bout the g37 coupe?
anyone have any first had knowledge or experience with any of these cars??
Old 11-03-2010, 12:40 PM
3.5 psi

Received 798 Likes on 636 Posts
does anyone know which is faster, the accord coupe, cts 3.6 di or the cl...what bout the g37 coupe?
anyone have any first had knowledge or experience with any of these cars??
no first hand experience, but it looks like from browsing online that the CL-S would be faster then the CTS. The infinity would be faster then the CL off the line for sure. At speed i think the infinity would still be faster, but not a blow out.

Have you looked into a Hyundai genesis coupe? The 2.0T would have some nice potential if you up the boost.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:15 PM
G.uns O.n D.emand

Originally Posted by gnuts
no first hand experience, but it looks like from browsing online that the CL-S would be faster then the CTS. The infinity would be faster then the CL off the line for sure. At speed i think the infinity would still be faster, but not a blow out.

Have you looked into a Hyundai genesis coupe? The 2.0T would have some nice potential if you up the boost.
ya i looked at the genesis coupe..its ok...kinda hate the interior...i was also considering a pontiac g8...
what i really want to know will an accord v6 blow the doors off a cts??
Old 11-03-2010, 02:06 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by paymee
ya i looked at the genesis coupe..its ok...kinda hate the interior...i was also considering a pontiac g8...
rwd>fwd
Old 11-03-2010, 02:22 PM
Safety Car

Received 214 Likes on 143 Posts
because i own a cl and i am debating which car i should get rid of it for....thanks for the advice by the way
Oh, so since I own a CL I can post a thread here about what kind of TV I should buy, then? There's a Car Talk forum for a reason.

Meh, whatever. I remember StonedCL made a thread exactly like this and it got moved... but not this one?
Old 11-03-2010, 02:29 PM
G.uns O.n D.emand

Originally Posted by Rapture
Oh, so since I own a CL I can post a thread here about what kind of TV I should buy, then? There's a Car Talk forum for a reason.

Meh, whatever. I remember StonedCL made a thread exactly like this and it got moved... but not this one?
i guess that should be the appropriate place for this thread but once again thanks for your fine input...by the way i prefer sonys and samsungs
Old 11-03-2010, 02:45 PM
Be Strong AND Courageous!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
I love my rwd merc, but in this case, if you dont like the G, the go with the fwd accord...btw, I still own my 2001 CLS, I am driving it today... go figure!
Old 11-03-2010, 03:44 PM
Bonki Ehrite!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My vote goes to the AV6. Would any mods from the CL transfer over or are they too old for the new car?
Old 11-03-2010, 03:53 PM
Banned

They AV6 6-speed is only a tenth or two quicker through the 1/4mi than your CL-S. The accord is actually more refined now than the last gen CL was at the time it was on sale 2003.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ParaSurfer1979
They AV6 6-speed is only a tenth or two quicker through the 1/4mi than your CL-S. The accord is actually more refined now than the last gen CL was at the time it was on sale 2003.
Only 6th gen Accords match parts with 2nd gen CL-S...
Old 11-03-2010, 06:22 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,422 Likes on 4,953 Posts
My brother has an 08 6MT Accord coupe. Its a nice car. The interior is much better then the CL, although the seats leave a little to be desired. The back seat is spacious (comparatively). The navigation is pretty nice. Its got some decent power. Stock vs stock, the Accord is a faster car, but only past 80 or so. I raced my brother a few times when I was stock and it was a very close race.

Aside from the power passenger seat, memory seating and mirrors, and the passenger mirror that moves when you engage reverse (all in the CL), they are pretty similar cars.

These are the problems Ive encountered:

I like the car, in fact I almost picked up an Alabaster 6MT/nav a few months before the CL. I knew I would want to mod it and with a $500+ month car payment, modding would be limited.

That said, unless the CL was really having problems, I dont know if the trade would be worth it.

As far as parts that can be swapped, only a few. Wheels will work, although the Accord can take a more aggressive fitment. Our headers wont work and at the moment there are no precat deletes available. You can use the 6th gen Accord suspension IIRC. Other then that, you need to get creative.

This is one of my favorites:

Now, unless the CTS is followed by -V Wagon, Im not interested in it.

Last edited by civicdrivr; 11-03-2010 at 06:29 PM.
                Old 11-03-2010, 06:35 PM
                G.uns O.n D.emand

Originally Posted by civicdrivr
                My brother has an 08 6MT Accord coupe. Its a nice car. The interior is much better then the CL, although the seats leave a little to be desired. The back seat is spacious (comparatively). The navigation is pretty nice. Its got some decent power. Stock vs stock, the Accord is a faster car, but only past 80 or so. I raced my brother a few times when I was stock and it was a very close race.

Aside from the power passenger seat, memory seating and mirrors, and the passenger mirror that moves when you engage reverse (all in the CL), they are pretty similar cars.

These are the problems Ive encountered:
                • The blind spot. The c-pillars in the Accord are rediculously large. There is a large area that you cannot see due to them. The CL isn't the best car Ive driven as far as rearward visibility goes, but its nowhere near as bad as the Accord.
                • Headlights. They suck. The projector optics are garbage in them. In NY, that probably wont matter though.
                • Seats. As I noted above, the seats in the CL offer more support. They also look better IMO.
                • No LSD. I know alot of people say who cares. Try driving a car with 252lbs-tq going through one wheel.
                • Drive-by-wire. Maybe they fixed it for 2009-up (and Im actually going to ask my dealer if there is a reflash for the ecu), but the DBW system is intrusive. If you are driving on level ground around 35-45mph, the car surges. Its like the computer has no idea what to do around 20% throttle. It also does not allow you to easily rev match on downshifts. Usually, you disengage the clutch, blip the throttle while changing gears and engage the clutch. The ECU wont let you do that unless you hit the gas twice. It thinks that the first blip was an accident.
                • If you buy a 2008, there will be rattles. Most notably is the passenger side quarter glass trim. To fix the rattle, you need to pull the glass. My brother didnt want to deal with that and risk the dealer screwing something up so he tries to not pay attention to it.
                • The 6MTs do seem to have an occasional issue with 3rd gear, like most late model 6MT Hondas. Its either very hard to engage or will pop out.
                I like the car, in fact I almost picked up an Alabaster 6MT/nav a few months before the CL. I knew I would want to mod it and with a $500+ month car payment, modding would be limited.

That said, unless the CL was really having problems, I dont know if the trade would be worth it.

As far as parts that can be swapped, only a few. Wheels will work, although the Accord can take a more aggressive fitment. Our headers wont work and at the moment there are no precat deletes available. You can use the 6th gen Accord suspension IIRC. Other then that, you need to get creative.

This is one of my favorites:

Now, unless the CTS is followed by -V Wagon, Im not interested in it.
                thanks bro you are the man..lol!!!
                i really am loving the accord coupe...i love my cl but made the grave mistake of buying an auto. so time for a newer more reliable version of my cl...thanks for the write up..very informative...by the way i love the accord in the polished metal metallic....car looks sick with the body kit
                Old 11-03-2010, 06:41 PM

Were you looking at getting another automatic, or would it be a 6mt?

Keep in mind the autos are nowhere near as quick as the 6mt. The VCM system (that thankfully the 6MT doesnt have) robs a decent amount of power. My mom has a 2008 V6 sedan and the power difference between the two is very noticeable.
                Old 11-03-2010, 08:09 PM
                G.uns O.n D.emand

were you looking at getting another automatic, or would it be a 6mt?

Keep in mind the autos are nowhere near as quick as the 6mt. The vcm system (that thankfully the 6mt doesnt have) robs a decent amount of power. My mom has a 2008 v6 sedan and the power difference between the two is very noticeable.
                yes i actually was going to get the auto coupe ..i have to cause my wife will occasionally drive the car...i heard the vcm does sap some power but hopefully not that much...you know i was just looking at some more cars...the is350 is crazy fast...0-60 in like 5 seconds...hmm
                Old 11-04-2010, 12:16 AM
                Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
                Since you like the CTS have you considered a 2004 to 2007 CTS-V? Parts would be cheap and labor is a sinch if something were to go wrong. 04-05 have the 5.7 LS6 Z06Vette engine with 400Hp. The 06-07 has the 6.0 LS2 base Vette/GTO engine with 400hp and a slightly better TQ curve then the LS6. These cars would make quick work of the AV6, G37 and base CTS 3.6di. They can be had with low miles for under the $25K limit you set. The aftermarket support is as good as anything else out there. The engines have proved themselves to be just as reliable as anything eles when maintained correctly, + there is no stupid timing belt to change.

Just thought I would throw that out there since you were looking at the Caddy.

That Accord Civic posted looks killer! Best one I've seen yet!
                Old 11-04-2010, 12:51 PM

Where have you seen CTS-Vs under $25k?

If thats what theyre going for now I really bought the wrong car.
                Old 11-04-2010, 01:23 PM
                Three Wheelin'

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CTS-V...item3f04626fb6

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cts-v...item255e8fd5db

And here is one with only 12K miles for $25k.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CADIL...item3f046e596f

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Moder...item2eb10e83fc

I like this one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2004-...item33623bfdcb

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CTS-V...item4154245089

Higher miles but only $16k
                http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CTS-V...item53e460c4c2
                Old 11-04-2010, 01:29 PM

I has a sad.

I prefer the second gen (which can be had for around $40k), but I would "settle" for a first gen.
                Old 11-04-2010, 02:06 PM
                Three Wheelin'

I has a sad.

I prefer the second gen (which can be had for around $40k), but I would "settle" for a first gen.
                I hear that dude! I even tried to convince myself that a $800 a month payment would not be so bad.

I'm kinda mixed on the styling of the new one but it really does not matter when you have 556HP!

Paymee, wich way are you leaning? AV6?
                Old 11-04-2010, 02:33 PM
                P.

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
                Av6. How many miles you have on your CL?
                Old 11-04-2010, 02:47 PM
                G.uns O.n D.emand

Ya I'm leaning toward the accord...the cts v is nice and fast but the interior is budget in those yr cts..I love the motor but it's only manual trans...I kinda need an auto..starting to look more at the g37 coupes..pretty hot..they just look too small...accord is like a nice blend of everything...
                Old 11-04-2010, 02:49 PM
                G.uns O.n D.emand

My cl has 76000 miles..already went through 1 tranny.. Not doing another one
                Old 11-04-2010, 03:10 PM
                2003 CL-S 6MT

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
                CTS-V!!! Tell your wife to take her own car and learn how to drive in the snow with rwd. NYC snow is nothing compared to where I live.
                Old 11-04-2010, 05:45 PM
                Three Wheelin'

Ya I'm leaning toward the accord...the cts v is nice and fast but the interior is budget in those yr cts..I love the motor but it's only manual trans...I kinda need an auto..starting to look more at the g37 coupes..pretty hot..they just look too small...accord is like a nice blend of everything...

Oh thats right, my bad, you did say you needed a auto trans.

Quick Reply: Need some advice..selling cl-s..which car should i get?