Need info about headlight housing...HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2004, 02:42 PM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Need info about headlight housing...HELP!

As you guys might know, my headlights were stolen while it was being worked on in a bodyshop a few years ago. Now I'm trying to get it BACK to it's original condition since apperantly every winter one of my headlights would blow out (since the bodyshop didn't order ANY of the rubber seals). So...I need help finding EACH part that can help make the headlight housing weather-proof.

For those that took your headlights apart, I under stand that there are 2 rubber seals (1 for highbeam & 1 for HID unit) that help weatherproof the entire housing.

According to this pic, it should be # 8 & 9

BUT...when I took the entire unit apart, it also seemed as though there SHOULD be a rubber seal between the ballast (part #7) and the headlight housing (part #12). Could someone please tell me if there SHOULD be one or not? It almost doesn't make sense not to have a rubber seal there even though it doesn't list it in the picture, but it looked like it had grooves for one.
Old 01-22-2004, 02:46 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Number 8, and 11. If number 9 is damaged then one of those.

But if the seal around the lense is gone (glue type stuff) then you will always get moisture in the headlight, which is probably what is blowing the bulb.

Could also be a faulty connector.
Old 01-22-2004, 02:54 PM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by stu mccrea
Number 8, and 11. If number 9 is damaged then one of those.

But if the seal around the lense is gone (glue type stuff) then you will always get moisture in the headlight, which is probably what is blowing the bulb.

Could also be a faulty connector.
The glue is fine, I never took that apart to clear my sides and the bulbs are fine too. My last issue was that water got in (either in the ballast or the area between the bulb and ignitor) that caused the ballast to blow. I THINK I have everything now, but since I recently purchased new Philips 6000k D2Rs, I want to protect my investment. I'm mainly concerned about whether or not there is a rubber piece between the ballast and the plastic headlamp piece that the picture is not showing. Example...there are rubber caps on the headlight housing that the picture doesnt show either.
Old 01-28-2005, 09:39 PM
Instructor

There are no seals between the ballast and the housing.I have mine apart right now.
Old 01-28-2005, 11:37 PM

Between the control unit, the inverter and the headlight housing there is a foam gasket.

Strange thing is, I just had too replace my inverter again today also. I think the body shop did a poor job of sealing my headlight. Water is getting into my headlight assembly and settling in the inverter assy. I already replaced the inverter once and it just happened again. :angryfire
I'm gonna reseal my headlight tommorrow. I thought the first time it blew out it was a fluke, but this time, after tearing the inverter apart and seeing a bunch of rust and corrossion in there, I know now that my headlight housing is leaking.
Old 01-29-2005, 08:57 PM
Instructor

Edgalang,I double checked my headlamp housing again and was wrong.There is a rubber o ring in the housing where the ballast mates to the hole of the housing.Sorry for the incorrect info in the previous post.